ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations

First new map in a while. Nothing exciting, but I thought it was something that would be interesting to see. This is average bodies scanned per system. This covers pre-FSS and post-FSS behavior, so all those "jonking" pass-through systems will either be washed out or will drag down the average of adjacent systems. And of course, people have done a lot of cherry-picking over the years too, rather than full system scans. So as you'd expect, the averages are pretty low in most places, except for the bubble.

Finally a way to use my new-learned knowledge:

Where is the kuk? (kuk is norwegian for male genital, for those who don't know…)

:LOL:

You know, it's funny that you say that--- It's exactly what made me think of making this. I was thinking that if a map downplayed systems where people just passed through, and looked instead at scanning activity, that a certain notable "artistic" design might fade out. :D

You know, it's funny that you say that--- It's exactly what made me think of making this. I was thinking that if a map downplayed systems where people just passed through, and looked instead at scanning activity, that a certain notable "artistic" design might fade out. :D
Ain't that a kiek in de kök (SFW)

It's also kind of funny seeing the Sol-Colonia-Sgr A* lines so light on there.

Deleted member 38366

D
Interesting new Map.
Hehehe.... I've been thorough during the last ~6 months, no arguing with that :D

1607983703748.png

Hrm ... much more visible in this map than the general heatmap, it seems somebody has run a constant-galactic-radius expedition. I wonder how many explorer hours it took to draw that perfect circle?

Deleted member 38366

D
Hmm.... is there something different about that new "Average Scanned Bodies per System" PNG?

Anytime I try to load it, it seems to take forever, several Minutes easily - as if it produces an extreme Server load or something. It behaves as if it was computed "live" on the Server on each view request.
(100Mbit low latency Fiber Optics on my side)

Strange. I don't have any specific bandwidth throttling on the site. I guess it's possible there's a saturated pipe in between somewhere. But in this era, I wouldn't expect it to be that severe. I mean, even overseas it shouldn't fall to just 20 kbps.

There are several mobile access providers that limit one's bandwith if one downloads too much. I've seen providers that go well down to those unusable speeds, but that would apply to all sites and not just yours.
Could be a messed up router too.

€: And if he's a german citizen and his ISP is the Telekom then it might be due to their messed up peering that currently results in very low speeds if something is hosted in the US (german text: https://www.golem.de/news/deutsche-...vern-scheint-langsam-zu-sein-2012-152982.html )

Last edited:
Added a new set of pins on the interactive galmap, for the Canonn Challenge, by request. Since there isn't an official spreadsheet that I'm aware of (I'm using a submitted unofficial one), it may not reflect any changes that might get made to it in the future, if any. We can cross that bridge when we get to it.

I just took a quick and dirty look at your trojan bodies spreadsheet.

If I remember correctly there's not much that can be done to filter out such false alarms without losing too many real trojans (8&9):
Screenshot_0383.jpg

But maybe you should add the argument of periapsis to your formula to avoid such cases:

Screenshot_0386.jpgScreenshot_0385.jpgScreenshot_0384.jpg

Actually it already does, and that one passes the test. They're 60 degrees apart, as they should be for trojan planets.

EDIT: Actually that's a very interesting case. They technically are trojans, but with enough eccentricity that they don't overlap in the expected way. They're both in solar orbits with a 60 degree separation, and not a binary pair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom