Modes ED "Beyond" Disappointing, anyone have similar feelings?

I don't think OPEN should be offer more influence or CRs etc, I just think it should offer a fair deal.

Sure, something need to happen. Why not. People doesn't understand open is more dangerous then easy mode solo, why not have something special in open. Bringing more people in open, doesn't hurt SOLO game, you never meet player anyway.

Sure, something need to happen. Why not. People doesn't understand open is more dangerous then easy mode solo, why not have something special in open. Bringing more people in open, doesn't hurt SOLO game, you never meet player anyway.

No amount of incentivizing will encourage me to join a mode of play where I'm simply there to be fodder for types like you.

Again, the discussion is not about Open vs Solo but if this game is primary PvP focused. It isn't.

It's a multiplayer game but one that isn't focused on PvP. That was clear since kickstarter.
My understanding was that FDev wanted to also make a standalone version, but they gave up on that for the sake of BGS, so I'm not sure if multiplayer PvP was set in stone as focus at the KS.

My understanding was that FDev wanted to also make a standalone version, but they gave up on that for the sake of BGS, so I'm not sure if multiplayer PvP was set in stone as focus at the KS.

The Offline Solo option (not standalone version) was a stretch goal during kickstarter but they abandoned the idea later IIRC. The idea was always to have a multiplayer game, but one that isn't focused on PvP.

David Braben said:
Most of the ships you encounter will be AIs - and in many cases you will kill them - which is why we want the majority to be AIs. Generally speaking we expect players, even beginners, to be more of a challenge than an AI ship, and something that players will tend not to attack, but more cooperate with, and we are designing the bounty system (and others) to discourage PvP and encourage player cooperation.

David Braben said:
What I want is the sort of game that you play with PVP enabled, so players can kill other players, but it happens only very rarely.

Last edited:
Another incompetent player. When you play OPEN and meet player you automatic have PvP interactions you dont need automatically fight but more likely need fight. PvE in OPEN play? OUUU, where is group missions then, who play OPEN for PVE experience? Nobody, better make GROUP. Better ignore you next time.

OMG. Do you actually believe the rubbish you are saying. Nope, I stand by my statement that you are the incompetent one. I have met many a player in open in my three years of playing and have only had one fight in with another player, and only then it was Powerplay related. It wasn't even a fight as I was in an Adder and he was in a Clipper. I ran unsuccessfully, but he didn't destroy me, he asked what I was about and told the truth. They let me go.

You have no idea what you are talking about, and the sooner you stop with your nonsense, the better as you are making yourself look more and more silly the more you post.

Last edited:
Irrelevant. The reasons people aren't in Open are (in no particular order)

1 - They can't (Consoles with non-premium accounts)
2 - They don't want PvP (Mobius and other Private Groups)
3 - They don't want any direct interaction with any other player for any reason whatsoever.

Giving people more reasons to shoot each other isn't going to bring more people to Open. Quite the opposite.
So true.

And what's worse, players from Open being rude and disrespectful to players who play in Solo. And then have the nerve to say that one should want to play in open for the reason of awesome interactions with other players. Why would I want to go to Open and interact with these rude people? Their comments make we want it less.

Another incompetent player. When you play OPEN and meet player you automatic have PvP interactions you dont need automatically fight but more likely need fight.
Well, that I don't know. When I do play in Open, it's not automatically PvP. It's all based on who you meet really.

PvE in OPEN play? OUUU, where is group missions then, who play OPEN for PVE experience?
It seems like that's something that's coming in the next season. FDev talked about making wing based missions. So we'll see.

I'm looking forward to 'Beyond'...the game needs to be tuned up and tied together....can't wait to see how it looks at the end of next year!

Again, the discussion is not about Open vs Solo but if this game is primary PvP focused. It isn't.

True. From the beginning it was not but you must admit that must of FD updates were pew pew related. So that is why people could see the game PVP oriented.

Agreed. I am truely hoping that Beyond series of updates does that. Hey Roybe, you still in Lugh?

Yep! Docked up at Knight! Was in last week...had a tremendous accident with the Anaconda...going to have to go small and carry humans around for a few days!

Actually the whole game is PVP...a weird sort of PVP...

Yep! Docked up at Knight! Was in last week...had a tremendous accident with the Anaconda...going to have to go small and carry humans around for a few days!
I am in balandin (its my home station) every now and again and try to do some mission for the CSG when I can.

Actually the whole game is PVP...a weird sort of PVP...
It is to a certain degree when the BGS comes into play, but it isn't confrontational PvP. It's more like using PvE against other player groups when they come in contact.

Recently I have been a bit of a vagabond, and have not engaged in the BGS play (I know it is still effecting it), but haven't been doing it in a way that opposes other player groups to my knowledge.

I wrote about player interactions , group missions, something what bring people together in one instance. As i see you are blind and see only shooting PvP. There is much more to bring. It isnt multiplayer focused? Maybe not primary focused but they make multi-crew, they ARE interested in multiplayer.

For all guys that wrote that is not PVP , I DONT TALK ABOUT PVP but its part of multiplayer interaction. And think you can remove pvp when you have open mode, you are wrong. Its part of the game combat/trading/exploring.
And again guys. Why you buried every suggestion about multiplayer, solo player have separate solo mode. Every multiplayer change doesn't affect solo play. Bring more people in multiplayer in game with 2/3 game-modes focused to multiplayer interaction is nothing wrong! And its needed because mp in this game is pretty empty.

and again players not interested in open play (even when they play open play) have ZERO competent to write about this problematic as they dont bring anything new only making this topic more complicated.

Last edited:
I'm not going to reply to the entire post by the OP, just comment on those parts I have something to say about...

MAIN POST UPDATED.

1. Combat
- CZ/RES/crime sweep is the same renamed instance
- no higher goal nor scenarios/defences/invasions/battlegrounds, just chaotic 1v1 ship grind.

I get your point about the about CZ/RES/Crime sweep being renamed instances, but that's actually a little to simplistic. CZ's and Crimesweeps are nearly the same thing: you ally with one of the two warring factions and fight the other. If you're not careful, you can get overwhelmed.

RES sites are different in that, unless you have cargo in your hold (or you're WANTED and not in a Hazardous RES), you will rarely be attacked first. You choose when to engage. You can either fight one on one, or one vs. many, depending on what spawns and what you choose to engage. I tend to stick to HAZ RES because the authorities are far more dangerous/crazy than anything else in the game. Should one of them accidentally collide with you (even if it's clearly their fault) and take enough damage, you now have a minor bounty and yet have become Public Enemy #1 for them. It's stupid, so I stay in Haz Res. There I just have to avoid all the PP factions patrolling.

2. Trade
- clicking a slider and jumping between stations
- to ease the grind, people use third party tools to find the best trade route

Yes, I wish those third party tools were integrated in the game. I also wish there were profitable trade routes where you could go from A to B to C to D and back to A again. Alas, the only thing in that category is rare trading.

It's more fun, more profitable, and sometimes like the A > B >C routing, to just wander around and do hauling missions. The biggest limit there is usually ship size, with they Python working best because it can dock everywhere and carry a decent load.

5. Magic material storage
- why 1000?
- why teleporting between ships?
- just a lot of why's...

I'm fine with everything except the 1000 limit. I need to keep on hand a decent quantity of a lot of different materials so I can do all the engineering I want to do when I either get a new ship, or decide to retool one. Yet I also need a lot of mats on hand to refuel/rearm/repair SRV, restock ship ammo and AFMU, make limpets, etc. I don't expect or want unlimited capacity, but without away to store away critical mats for engineering later, I'm limited to what I can have onboard for synthesis. It's really aggravating. It's also annoying that I have to keep checking with Inara.cz to make sure I ditch mats that are, for me, useless. And then they keep adding more mat types (and data!) that currently have no use (Guardian and Thargoid). Should I hoard it and limit my options? Or ignore them and then be forced to do long hours of scavenging whenever they become relevant to the game?! Ugh!

We really should have X amount of storage on the ship and Y amount of storage at stations, and the ability to swap when docked. I'm fine with the station based storage being magic (available at all stations, just like SLF crew) as that should be easier on the programmers and the players alike.

While were at it, we need to up the amount of module storage! The current limit might be fine when you only own a couple of ships, but when you have nearly every ship in the game, and like to swap parts/weapons a lot, 60 is a woefully small amount.

6. Powerplay
- dead.

At least you can be pledged to a power now and free to travel wherever without fear of harassment UNLESS you have PP merits to cash in or PP cargo. That makes participation far less of a pain in the butt. But yes, it's still not that engaging.

7. Community goals
- more grind, just a single "scenario" (material transfer/bounties)
- each one revolving around people doing space-trucking

Ok, I'm not sure what you want. I mean anything in any game can be described as a grind after awhile. I could list examples from other MMOs - like WoW, City of Heroes, and FFXIV - as wells as from single player games, but what's the point?

I would like to see Community Goals adjusted to grade participation on scale based on the difficulty of what was turned in. The Aegis CGs should have counted Guardian Relics as 5 to 10 tons of turn-in for every 1 ton delivered, as they take more time to get and deliver than commodities you can buy at the station. And the one that wanted Thargoid tissue samples? Geez, that one should have been 1 ton of sample = 100 tons (or more) of turn-in value. This gives commanders using smaller ships hope of competing for the top spots. It also grants appropriate rewards for time/difficulty expended.

10. Mining
- limpet design, insanely cumbersome "make 200 tonnes of limpets into 200 tonnes of cargo"
- prospector limpet role design, leads to even greater limpet cargo hold needed
- better than trading - a minigame
- with current rewards, has no impact on the game itself, like petbattles in wow (except pet battles in wow has more content than entire ED) :)

Yeah, limpets should be something like 4/ton instead of 1/ton.

And yes, mining needs to be more interactive. Hopefully, they'll come up with something. However, in all fairness, I have yet to see ANY game make mining truly interesting - not WoW, not Earth & Beyond, not Star Trek Online (mini-games are silly), and not FFXIV (unspoiled nodes, collectible crap, etc.). So yes, mining is boring. Hopefully someone will come up with an idea to make it fun.

11. Flying - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/384871-Blaspheming-against-the-flight-model
- any explanation for maximal speed limits on ships?
- acceleration should be used instead (of max speed) when a more agile ship has to outrun a bigger ship
- yaw/roll/pitch on some ships make no sense. theres no sane explanation for a space craft to have different speeds there

I like the supercruise mechanics and how speed is affected by gravity wells. However, I do wish we could jump to other stars in the system besides the primary (eliminating LONG real time trips in system).

12. People are watching NETFLIX while playing your game and claim they are having fun.

Yes, I do. And yes, I still find the game fun. I've done it with other games too.

13. Ship design
- why most ppl fly pythons / anacondas?
- there are some niche ships but largely ignored (or treated like stepping stone for python/anaconda/cutter/corvette)
- module sizes are broken. If we take x2 modifier based on cargo racks sizes then it quickly gets ridiculous when you try to estimate the efficiency of given module in regards to its size.
- how much aircraft space does a ADS needs? Size-1. Why big ships have modules sizes down to 3. Unable to split them, leading to a fun situation when a giant craft like cutter can choose between docking computer OR ads but not both, coz there is no space.

Yes, Pythons and Anacondas are very popular and I don't think I need to go into why. However, if you play long enough, you'll often find joy in flying other ships for certain jobs. I do. I'm currently cruising around in my Imperial Clipper, which I've designed to be a very hardy ship for mat gathering on planets and from USS. It's a lot more fun to fly for this than my Anaconda, Corvette, or Python.

As to modules, oh yes, something needs to change. It's ridiculous that you have to waste so many big slots if you want an ADS and Planetary scanner on the big ships. Why can't you buy those in combo that's size 2?! Or why aren't these add-ons that you can slot into your ship sensors (like gems into gear in Fantasy games)? Then you might have more of reason to get class A sensors (or even class C) instead of just D - better grade sensors have more add-on slots.

14. Ranking with empire/federation
- people complain about loosing sanity when they want to reach the big2 "fast"
- "slow" way means "never", at least for me. (missions are repetitive, restarting in a new system for a new rankup mission feels like a slap)
- no incentive to go thru this grind other than the ships... but even then, anaconda is still pretty good, so why bother.

First, everyone always talks about the grind to the big 2. What about the grind to the earlier ships, particularly the Clipper? By the time most people have the rank to buy a Clipper, they have no need for it (unless they really like/want it) because they already own a Python, T9, Anaconda, Fer De Lance (instead of the Federal ships), etc.

At least the Cutter is worth the grind, as it is the best trade ship in the game and fast enough to escape all NPC pirates. The Corvette is just a cool looking side-grade (upgrade or downgrade can be argued) to an Anaconda. I use to use my Corvette all the time, but now I rarely use it in favor of my Anaconda (originally trade spec, collected dust after getting Cutter). I prefer the loadout on the Anaconda over the Corvette and the increased jump range is a no brainer.

I wrote about player interactions , group missions, something what bring people together in one instance. As i see you are blind and see only shooting PvP. There is much more to bring. It isnt multiplayer focused? Maybe not primary focused but they make multi-crew, they ARE interested in multiplayer.

For all guys that wrote that is not PVP , I DONT TALK ABOUT PVP but its part of multiplayer interaction. And think you can remove pvp when you have open mode, you are wrong. Its part of the game combat/trading/exploring.
And again guys. Why you buried every suggestion about multiplayer, solo player have separate solo mode. Every multiplayer change doesn't affect solo play. Bring more people in multiplayer in game with 2/3 game-modes focused to multiplayer interaction is nothing wrong! And its needed because mp in this game is pretty empty.

and again players not interested in open play (even when they play open play) have ZERO competent to write about this problematic as they dont bring anything new only making this topic more complicated.

Then don't talk about it as if it is PvP. PwP missions are coming next year. There will be squardrons next year also so you can easily group up and play with other players and have your very own chat room. Good eh. There is no problems with open as it is. People play in open because they want to. There doesn't need to be an incentive for people to play in open. There are no problems.

PvP mean Player versus player. That is very different to Play with Players (PwP).

Also, not one person is asking for PvP to be removed, so please don't make stuff up.

Then don't talk about it as if it is PvP. PwP missions are coming next year. There will be squardrons next year also so you can easily group up and play with other players and have your very own chat room. Good eh. There is no problems with open as it is. People play in open because they want to. There doesn't need to be an incentive for people to play in open. There are no problems.

PvP mean Player versus player. That is very different to Play with Players (PwP).

Also, not one person is asking for PvP to be removed, so please don't make stuff up.

As long as Wing Missions aren't just existing missions with more foes... It will be a nice step...

They talk as all players posted something about OPEN are already cancer with pvp weapons waiting for kill you and exploit every single aspect of game. Some players on this forum just cant admit there are 3 modes and some players have different opinion how open should look like.

We have already PwP called GROUP mode. But sadly no more content in group or open in this way.
No one asking for removed PvP but they already buried every suggestion with poor answers.

When they add some content next year i would be happy. But i dont see it bright. Good start will be when they balance weapons and ships.

Last edited:
They talk as all players posted something about OPEN are already cancer with pvp weapons waiting for kill you and exploit every single aspect of game. Some players on this forum just cant admit there are 3 modes and some players have different opinion how open should look like.

We have already PwP called GROUP mode. But sadly no more content in group or open in this way.
No one asking for removed PvP but they already buried every suggestion with poor answers.

When they add some content next year i would be happy. But i dont see it bright. Good start will be when they balance weapons and ships.

Nope that is not true at all. Re-read what people actually said. PwP is not group mode. So please stop it with the labeling. The three modes will stay the same as they should do. Why should open players get better rewards then those that play in solo or a group?

As long as Wing Missions aren't just existing missions with more foes... It will be a nice step...

Difficult to tell to be honest. Hopefully it will more then just shooting stuff, but a mixture of one person needing to scan something while the other defend etc. Hopefully multicrew will get included in this too and give people some reasons to multicrew.

Last edited:
Nope that is not true at all. Re-read what people actually said. PwP is not group mode. So please stop it with the labeling. The three modes will stay the same as they should do. Why should open players get better rewards then those that play in solo or a group?

WHAT? You re-read all posts about crying how they dont play open or how play open but dont need multiplayer interaction?

PwP (player with players) tell me how this is not GROUP mode? You (player) can join group (players) and play PvE or even PvP if you want.

Yes there are three modes but you dont see how they work.

GROUP (PwP, PvP, PvE)
SOLO (PvE)
OPEN GROUP (PwP, PvP, PvE, + random people)

Why should open players get rewards? Because is HARD MODE, its like have more difficult mission because you can meet hostile player!!!!! SOLO players stay in solo if they want, nothing happen to them. They have own mode and can play EASY mode all the time. MORE REWARD bring more people in OPEN and OPEN player will be happy, maybe even more people buy this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom