Release EDEB - Elite Dangerous Exploration Buddy

Well, if you asked EDSM API for the system, you'll get the value that Buddy displays:
Body 4 has "valueMax":1041857
To be honest, I don't know how EDSM calculates this. However I am planning to rewrite the value thing and do my own calculations based on
which I guess EDD and other are using as well.

Interesting. Well, certainly no foul on your part. :) It's just bizarre the number of different values that can be displayed for the same body. :unsure:

Well, if you asked EDSM API for the system, you'll get the value that Buddy displays:
Body 4 has "valueMax":1041857
To be honest, I don't know how EDSM calculates this. However I am planning to rewrite the value thing and do my own calculations based on
which I guess EDD and other are using as well.
I think EDSM also uses that: https://github.com/EDSM-NET/Component/blob/master/Body/Value.php

Hi!
I just want to thank you big time for your work. At the moment this is the most important tool I'm using for exploring, and I'm loving it.
I have two questions / suggestions / requests:
1) I play a lot in VR. Unfortunately, the popup HUD is not visible there (well, AFAIK you really need to put a lot of extra work for it to appear there). But, any chance of it to happen in the future?
2) Is it remotely possible to enable some voice announcements? What I would love to have are just 3 things:
  • welcome to the unknown system (to ESDM). Is activated when going out the jump to the new system that doesn't have record in ESDM;
  • hey, found a high value body in this system, make sure to scan it! - also after going out the jump to the new system (obviously known to ESDM, otherwise we wouldn't know about the values of the bodies);
  • yes, this is the body, now go and map it! - when scanning the high value body in the DSS.
The third announcement can be substituted by Elite Observatory though. The first two would be the most desirable as AFAIK they are not implemented anywhere.

If I had the voice notifications for those things, I wouldn't need to take off my helm every few minutes to see whether the next few systems in the route are already known or meaningful to FSS.

Thanks for doing this amazing job for us all!

Last edited:
Hi Xarrion,

thank you so much for your post. It feels really good when the buddy also helps other commanders :)

About your questions:
Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to play in VR myself, so I can't test if/how it works. But I'll try to google if I can do something.
BUT: That the buddy learns to speak, I already have on my feature list. I've also been playing around with it a bit, so I'm very sure that speech output will come (not in the next but in one of the following releases). I plan to make the individual voice output events configurable, so you can customize what gets output.
I'll be very happy to take your suggestions for events.

Thanks again,

o7

Firstly, thanks for the API. As someone newish to the game to have something helping me learn Exploring and Exo-Bio is amazing.

Query: As stated... I am learning... so I have crashed my ship a few times. Is there a way to reset a planet/system data so when I rescan the data can update again?

Firstly, thanks for the API. As someone newish to the game to have something helping me learn Exploring and Exo-Bio is amazing.

Query: As stated... I am learning... so I have crashed my ship a few times. Is there a way to reset a planet/system data so when I rescan the data can update again?
Thank you, resetting the exploration values for a single system (or a planet) is not possible at the moment, but you can reset the entire exploration history via main menu. As far as I understand your problem, all values should be lost when crashing (no matter how many systems you were in), so clearing the entire exploration history might be what you want anyway.

Release 1.3.3 is out:
  • Clonal Colony Range Indicator: The Biologicals view now shows whether you are inside or outside the clonal colony range when analyzing a genus.
    clonalColonyRangeIndicator.png
  • The HUD window can now be automatically hidden in certain situations via preferences. This allows, for example, automatic hiding on the Galaxy Map, in Codex or when you are on foot. @Moirai: This is for you
    PreferencesHudAutoHide.png
  • The columns of the Biologicals view in the HUD window can now be shown and hidden via the preferences.
Have fun and see you in the black :cool:
o7

Oh wow that colony range indicator is gonna be helpful esspecialy on the 800m range ones. Always found those the hardest to eyeball distances from my ship. Thank you for all the hard work you're putting into this app.

Release 1.3.3 is out:
  • Clonal Colony Range Indicator: The Biologicals view now shows whether you are inside or outside the clonal colony range when analyzing a genus.
    clonalColonyRangeIndicator.png
  • The HUD window can now be automatically hidden in certain situations via preferences. This allows, for example, automatic hiding on the Galaxy Map, in Codex or when you are on foot. @Moirai: This is for you
    PreferencesHudAutoHide.png
  • The columns of the Biologicals view in the HUD window can now be shown and hidden via the preferences.
Have fun and see you in the black :cool:
o7
Fantastic. :) I shall upgrade and try it out later. (y)

Tried running it today and the app would not run, after trying to update it, it would not run saying there was a virus. I went to your site to download it again and when I scanned it with windows defender I got informed there was a trojan in it. The app had been working fine prior to today so I'm not sure if this is an error or a false positive or not.

Edit: Looked at my protection history on windows defender and this is the threat it detected hope this helps: Trojan:Script/Sabsik.FL.B!ml
Tried redownloading it and scanning it with malwarebytes and got no threats detected, scanned with windows defender, detects the trojan above.

EDIT: seems it was just a false positive, forum member below clarified they had no issues and upon redownloading and scanning today after my antivirus updated the alert went away.

Last edited:
Tried running it today and the app would not run, after trying to update it, it would not run saying there was a virus. I went to your site to download it again and when I scanned it with windows defender I got informed there was a trojan in it. The app had been working fine prior to today so I'm not sure if this is an error or a false positive or not.

Edit: Looked at my protection history on windows defender and this is the threat it detected hope this helps: Trojan:Script/Sabsik.FL.B!ml
Tried redownloading it and scanning it with malwarebytes and got no threats detected, scanned with windows defender, detects the trojan above.
I bet it is a false positive. I updated around 6 hours after the update was released and everything is fine.

I bet it is a false positive. I updated around 6 hours after the update was released and everything is fine.
You're probably right, just checked Windows Defender and noticed it updated when i logged in this morning. So i redownloaded EDEB and scanned it, no trojan alert and it installed fine and opened up fine. False positives + anxiety = fun times lol. Glad it was a false positive though, this app has been amazing and is making exo biology hunting easier.

You're probably right, just checked Windows Defender and noticed it updated when i logged in this morning. So i redownloaded EDEB and scanned it, no trojan alert and it installed fine and opened up fine. False positives + anxiety = fun times lol. Glad it was a false positive though, this app has been amazing and is making exo biology hunting easier.
This is really annoying. I suppose this would all be dropped if I had a paid MS developer account and could sign the installer. I would even think about a one-time payment, but unfortunately it only works with a continuous contribution…
Thanks idahosurge for the help.

The addition of tracking each bio sample location is a superb addition. Great work! (y) I do use Elite Observatory with the BioInsights plugin as well, and use the TTS notifications in that to inform me of the travelled distance from the last bio sample. However, when searching for a third sample, that only tracks the last (second) bio sample location, not the first, so you can accidentally backtrack. It also doesn't inform you when you encroach on a previous colony area. Now that Buddy tracks both fully, it makes searching for bio samples a far more pleasant and informed experience. :)

The HUD window hiding feature is excellent and a very much appreciated addition. Thank you very much!

Quicky question on that point thouigh. I assumed that the 'No Focus' option would hide the HUD window when the game lost focus. However, ticking it hides the HUD window seemingly permanently no matter what (unless I'm being a nitwit and missing something). What is the setting for?

Possible suggestion: I notice that Buddy focuses the Route list when jumping to supercruise. Is it programmatically possible to differentiate between low wake (supercruise) and high wake (system jump) and only focus the Route list when the latter is the case? It's a tiny minor point and not a problem or anything. I just felt that it would look better if it didn't focus the Route list unless you were actually leaving the system.

Anyway, thank you for your continued work on this outstanding application. It's making exploration in ED a far more enjoyable experience. :)

Hi Moirai, thanks again :)
The "No Focus" option hides the HUD window when you are sitting in the ship/SRV/fighter and not looking at a panel. So for example it is possible to show the HUD window only when you are looking at the chat panel or when you are using the FSS.
But I admit it's not clear, I already revised the wording for the next version.

The difference between Supercruise Charging and Hyperjump Charging can be determined theoretically, but I use the Status File and there it is not distinguished, so I can't change anything at the moment (but honestly I don't like it either).
Maybe I'll invest the time in the future but currently I still have features I want to implement first. :)

Hi Moirai, thanks again :)
The "No Focus" option hides the HUD window when you are sitting in the ship/SRV/fighter and not looking at a panel. So for example it is possible to show the HUD window only when you are looking at the chat panel or when you are using the FSS.
But I admit it's not clear, I already revised the wording for the next version.
Ah, right. I get it now. It's actually quite a logical option now that I've tried it out. But, yes, it was a little confusing. :)
The difference between Supercruise Charging and Hyperjump Charging can be determined theoretically, but I use the Status File and there it is not distinguished, so I can't change anything at the moment (but honestly I don't like it either).
Maybe I'll invest the time in the future but currently I still have features I want to implement first. :)

Totally understand. As I said, it's a minor point and nothing that causes any issues. If you can find a solution to it though, great. If not, no problem. (y)

Hi!
I just want to thank you big time for your work. At the moment this is the most important tool I'm using for exploring, and I'm loving it.
I have two questions / suggestions / requests:
1) I play a lot in VR. Unfortunately, the popup HUD is not visible there (well, AFAIK you really need to put a lot of extra work for it to appear there). But, any chance of it to happen in the future?
2) Is it remotely possible to enable some voice announcements? What I would love to have are just 3 things:
  • welcome to the unknown system (to ESDM). Is activated when going out the jump to the new system that doesn't have record in ESDM;
  • hey, found a high value body in this system, make sure to scan it! - also after going out the jump to the new system (obviously known to ESDM, otherwise we wouldn't know about the values of the bodies);
  • yes, this is the body, now go and map it! - when scanning the high value body in the DSS.
The third announcement can be substituted by Elite Observatory though. The first two would be the most desirable as AFAIK they are not implemented anywhere.

If I had the voice notifications for those things, I wouldn't need to take off my helm every few minutes to see whether the next few systems in the route are already known or meaningful to FSS.

Thanks for doing this amazing job for us all!
Although I am not playing in VR I read that some use OVR toolkit and EDEB seems to work for them. Maybe it can help with your issue?

Top Bottom