Release EDEB - Elite Dangerous Exploration Buddy

Is there a way to have EDEB differentiate between multiple commanders? I currently have two, and plan on starting a third in the future. EDEB works fine if I only use it with a specific commander. If I switch to another, it still shows the previous commander's data. I'd be OK with renaming a couple folders or files using a batch file or script if needed. I just don't know enough about how EDEB works to figure it out on my own.

Hi Fixitman,
thank you for your question. At the moment EDEB has no built-in multi-commander support. But I had thought about this before. One question: how do you use multiple commanders? Do you have two different installations, each with its own journal directory (...\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous)? Since I only have one commander, I would need to better understand what a multi-commander scenario looks like.

Both of my current commanders are using the same Frontier installation. Both also share the same journal folder, with all journals in the same folder. Each journal is for a specific commander, with the name and local ID at the beginning of the file content. During my short time playing on my separate Steam install, the same journal folder was used. I've since purged that commander and associated journal files.

I'd be happy to zip up my entire journal folder and send it to you. That should make development of this feature easier. Just tell me where/how to send it, and I'll get it done asap.

Both of my current commanders are using the same Frontier installation. Both also share the same journal folder, with all journals in the same folder. Each journal is for a specific commander, with the name and local ID at the beginning of the file content. During my short time playing on my separate Steam install, the same journal folder was used. I've since purged that commander and associated journal files.

I'd be happy to zip up my entire journal folder and send it to you. That should make development of this feature easier. Just tell me where/how to send it, and I'll get it done asap.
You can send it via the EDEB menu item "Feedback/Report Problem". If the zip file is too large, just spare older log files. I will look into what I can do, but I think it will take a little while :)

Happy to announce version 1.3.6: Buddy speaks!

For those who sometimes become less attentive in the depths of space, Exploration Buddy can now announce important events. In the settings you can very flexibly adjust what exactly you want to hear.
I'm happy about further suggestions for events for which a voice output would be useful.

1689932655392.png

Stay attentive ;-) and o7

Great tool for exploration! Highly recommended. Many thanks to Cmdr Panostrede!
The best features IMHO are:
  • Automatic switching between info displays according to flight phase (hyperspace jump, supercruise, planet approach, on planet),
  • Showing live distances between exobiology occurrences,
  • Well organized info displays.
EDEB is along with EDMC (incl. plugins), Observatory Core (esp. the Bioinsights plugin) and EDSM a perfect combo for exploration.

How did you make them work together? I'm quite new to the party and don't know all of those tricks.
You just have to run them in parallel and make sure that you submit your flight log to EDSM via EDMC or EDDiscovery.

Long answer: Exploration Buddy uses data from EDSM to determine valuable bodies, for example. However, EDSM has no data for systems that no one has discovered yet (more precisely: that EDSM does not know about). And this is where EDMC or EDDiscovery come into play: they transmit the data of a newly discovered system to EDSM, so that Exploration Buddy can then retrieve it right away :)

How did you make them work together? I'm quite new to the party and don't know all of those tricks.
In EDDiscovery you have to set it up to transmit the data to EDSM. You have to enter the EDSM API key into EDDiscovery plus make sure one or more option boxes are checked.

Look at this page from EDDiscovery
https://github.com/EDDiscovery/EDDiscovery/wiki/EDSM-Integration-with-EDDiscovery

If you cannot get it to work post back and I'll upload some screenshots of my settings.

You just have to run them in parallel and make sure that you submit your flight log to EDSM via EDMC or EDDiscovery.

Long answer: Exploration Buddy uses data from EDSM to determine valuable bodies, for example. However, EDSM has no data for systems that no one has discovered yet (more precisely: that EDSM does not know about). And this is where EDMC or EDDiscovery come into play: they transmit the data of a newly discovered system to EDSM, so that Exploration Buddy can then retrieve it right away :)
I take it he Exploration Buddy only remembers what it has witnessed itself.

And there seems to be something off with the "Leaving clonal colony range" voice message, at least for Brain Trees. The message already comes after turning around and walking about 5-10 meters from the scanned plant.

And there seems to be something off with the "Leaving clonal colony range" voice message, at least for Brain Trees. The message already comes after turning around and walking about 5-10 meters from the scanned plant.
Hi, thanks for reporting! Can you confirm that this is only happening with Brain Trees? I haven't seen this issue with other biologicals. And currently I am out in the black and cannot test with Brain Trees :)

Is there a way to run this on separate computer other than the one you are playing elite on?
EDEB needs the games' local journal file to work. So I guess not. What I could implement is that the journal file's location can be set in the preferences. Then you could try to "sync" your journal file to another computer, and point EDEB to the synced file location. I would imagine though that this would lead to some kind of delay.

Hi, thanks for reporting! Can you confirm that this is only happening with Brain Trees? I haven't seen this issue with other biologicals. And currently I am out in the black and cannot test with Brain Trees :)
I will have to test that out. I am now on a different planet in the same system, albeit a twin to the other, rotating around a shared center of gravity. (Synuefe TP-F B44-0, CD 1 and 2). There should be some more planets in this system that have some brain tress...

EDEB needs the games' local journal file to work. So I guess not. What I could implement is that the journal file's location can be set in the preferences. Then you could try to "sync" your journal file to another computer, and point EDEB to the synced file location. I would imagine though that this would lead to some kind of delay.
I think if these two computers are connected via LAN, you could allow network access to the folder in question, link EDEB to it and gain access this way.

Last edited:
Back out in the Black and I had to post a thanks for the latest update. The speech addition is great. Getting an audio alert when you left a Bio colony range is so great!

I will have to test that out. I am now on a different planet in the same system, albeit a twin to the other, rotating around a shared center of gravity. (Synuefe TP-F B44-0, CD 1 and 2). There should be some more planets in this system that have some brain tress...
I got distracted by real life and sadly forgot to check this. (And activate the buddy before starting a session in general... 😅 😞)

I hope to get back to this issue in the near future, but I won't make any promises.

Last edited:
I am unable to get this to install.
Hello and thank you for getting in touch. Oops, I haven't seen that error yet. What version of Windows are you using?
Can you please open the Windows Event Viewer right after a failed installation and check the Windows Logs/Applications section for any errors that the installer may be throwing?

Top Bottom