Release EDRefCard - makes a printable reference card of your controller bindings

The unknown type fspmnf is the same as a xxmrbi / VKB Gladiator NXT premium Left except it's the NXT Gladiator Premium NXT EVO (which means it's side mounted for a HOSAS)

I have also attached a zip file for the VKB Modern Combat Grip Pro as an inkscape SVG. I have it as a PDF with form fields, if that helps?

Cheers o7

Attachments

• VKB MCG profile template.zip
    574.3 KB · Views: 124
The unknown reference for the controller is "jbmbdt". It is a VKB Gunfighter Mk. III MCG Ultimate Twist.

Thanks for such a great website and tool.

I have a setup with a GNX EVO Omni Throttle SCG Left Premium with a GNX SEM (Side Extension Module) attached and it gives me unknown controller with the reference "jyqhmk". My other stick, Gladiator NXT EVO ‘Space Combat Edition’, works just fine.

Thanks for an excellent tool that save me a lot of time setting up the controllers in Elite Odyssey. The only thing missing now is the reference chart :)

Looks like VKB T-Rudder mk IV pedal isn't recognized or supported: Reference provided "rwvohm"

I second (or Nth) the option for font controls. I play in VR and pull the PDF up in an overlay. I'd love to be able to increase font size / legibility and reduce the border / empty space.

I'd also love to request that the color coded Bindings be called out in a chart to the side.
EX:
"Green - Joy 5" (In green text)
"Orange - Joy 5 + Joy 8" (In orange text)

I haven't forgotten this, although I don't play ED much anymore and I don't particularly enjoy working on EDRefCard's codebase.

I have work in progress to add the new command bindings from Ody and also to try to get to a pure SVG workflow, however ImageMagick isn't playing nice with the latter.
For whatever unexplainable reason*, I've started poking at the codebase and brought it upon myself to port that sprawling CGI mess to (backwards-compatible) Flask... so I feel your pain. Heavily.

Can I take over once(if) it's done? I'm already tackling the SVG issues you were suffering with - the VKB templates in particular need some heavy work.

* Actually I do know the reason - I made a local instance for supporting my stick model (Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick, that Airbus one) and it pulled me down the rabbit hole.

First off: thanks for the EDRef site, and what it provides. Obviously a lot of work, and much appreciated.

New issue... well, new to me, anyway & can't find it addressed here.
Not the first time I've imported (then fine-tuned) key bindings for ED... did it for T1600 setup & X56 in the past. Decided to pick up ED again, and hunted up bindings for my new VKB Gladiators HOSAS. Imported the "Brother Sabathius" bindings I found on the EDRef site, renamed 'em "maybethistime.binds" until I sorted them out... they don't appear when I open the game. found this BindingLoadingErrors file when I went back and looked:

There where errors when loading preset file: maybethistime.binds
There are multiple entries of binding "MouseGUI" Only the first will be used
Failed to find GUID for device: 231D011F

I'm no expert at this stuff (that's why I'm here, yeah), but it looks like it's not... recognizing my mouse? And, in my case, mouse is a Logitech trackball -- I THINK it's the same one I had before when I was importing custom bindings.

If someone could explain what this means, that'd be great. If someone could explain AND tell me how to resolve this, it'd be wicked cool.

XML for the Brother Sabathius bindings attached as a PDF, it that helps... thanks!

Attachments

• brother sabathius ED bindings..pdf
    187.2 KB · Views: 108
First off: thanks for the EDRef site, and what it provides. Obviously a lot of work, and much appreciated.

New issue... well, new to me, anyway & can't find it addressed here.
Not the first time I've imported (then fine-tuned) key bindings for ED... did it for T1600 setup & X56 in the past. Decided to pick up ED again, and hunted up bindings for my new VKB Gladiators HOSAS. Imported the "Brother Sabathius" bindings I found on the EDRef site, renamed 'em "maybethistime.binds" until I sorted them out... they don't appear when I open the game. found this BindingLoadingErrors file when I went back and looked:

I'm not an expert on this, but first of all, I think the filename has to be the same as the "PresetName" inside the XML file. If you change one, change the other one as well.
<Root PresetName="VKB" MajorVersion="4" MinorVersion="0">

If you start the game now and go into the controls settings, you should find this file under "Presets".

There where errors when loading preset file: maybethistime.binds

I'm no expert at this stuff (that's why I'm here, yeah), but it looks like it's not... recognizing my mouse? And, in my case, mouse is a Logitech trackball -- I THINK it's the same one I had before when I was importing custom bindings.

Just ignore the mouse error, I have this too. For whatever reason, it seems that ED just writes this line not once, but at least twice when it saves the bindings.
<MouseGUI Value="1" />
It doesn't matter, the game just does what it says in the error message, ignoring all other MouseGUI lines except the first one.

So, that leaves us with the GUID device error. If we look at the overview (https://edrefcard.info/list?deviceFilter=VKB-Gladiator-NXT-Premium-Left) and at the actual graphics (https://edrefcard.info/binds/gdmlom), we can see that Brother Sabathius uses three input devices: 231D011F, VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left, VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Right. The 231D011F one is not recognized by EdRefCard. I found one other config with device 231D011F on EdRefCard, and the description says "VKB GNXTP left and right, VKB T-Rudder Elite Dangerous". So I'm guessing 231D011F are the VKB rudder pedals. If you don't have those, the error would make sense. ;)

So, just renaming the file or changing "PresetName" should do it. I hope.

I'm not an expert on this, but first of all, I think the filename has to be the same as the "PresetName" inside the XML file. If you change one, change the other one as well.
<Root PresetName="VKB" MajorVersion="4" MinorVersion="0">

If you start the game now and go into the controls settings, you should find this file under "Presets".

Just ignore the mouse error, I have this too. For whatever reason, it seems that ED just writes this line not once, but at least twice when it saves the bindings.
<MouseGUI Value="1" />
It doesn't matter, the game just does what it says in the error message, ignoring all other MouseGUI lines except the first one.

So, that leaves us with the GUID device error. If we look at the overview (https://edrefcard.info/list?deviceFilter=VKB-Gladiator-NXT-Premium-Left) and at the actual graphics (https://edrefcard.info/binds/gdmlom), we can see that Brother Sabathius uses three input devices: 231D011F, VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left, VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Right. The 231D011F one is not recognized by EdRefCard. I found one other config with device 231D011F on EdRefCard, and the description says "VKB GNXTP left and right, VKB T-Rudder Elite Dangerous". So I'm guessing 231D011F are the VKB rudder pedals. If you don't have those, the error would make sense. ;)

So, just renaming the file or changing "PresetName" should do it. I hope.
Thanks, @Lhorndra... that makes a bunch of sense. Easier to change my filename then to open the .binds file, but I'm not sure whether the PresetName here would be considered "VKB" alone, or would it include the major/minor version... something like "VKB40" or VKB_4.0"? Thanks again!

Thanks, @Lhorndra... that makes a bunch of sense. Easier to change my filename then to open the .binds file, but I'm not sure whether the PresetName here would be considered "VKB" alone, or would it include the major/minor version... something like "VKB40" or VKB_4.0"? Thanks again!

preset name can be anything you want (well, except for "custom" of course ;) ) that is just the name that the game knows your binds by so shows on your drop-down list for example

I would have thought your main issue is going to be sorting that GUID ident

preset name can be anything you want (well, except for "custom" of course ;) ) that is just the name that the game knows your binds by so shows on your drop-down list for example

I would have thought your main issue is going to be sorting that GUID ident
But... preset name has to match the name listed internally within the .binds file, yeah?
Also: If I load the game, choose "Options" from the main menu, and go into controls, I have 3 choices: General / Ship / SRV. If I open any of them, it has the same choices in a dropdown: Custom / Keyboard without Mouse / Keyboard & Mouse / Keyboard & Mouse Yaw / Blank / Generic Joystick. Should this be where I see any other custom bindings I import? Or do I need to be looking elsewhere?

But... preset name has to match the name listed internally within the .binds file, yeah?
Also: If I load the game, choose "Options" from the main menu, and go into controls, I have 3 choices: General / Ship / SRV. If I open any of them, it has the same choices in a dropdown: Custom / Keyboard without Mouse / Keyboard & Mouse / Keyboard & Mouse Yaw / Blank / Generic Joystick. Should this be where I see any other custom bindings I import? Or do I need to be looking elsewhere?

that is where Root PresetName is - line 2 of the binds file

yes you should see the name in the drop down lists

there are 4 sections in Ody options/controls so you could actually have 4 different binds files - but normally they would all refer to the same one (which contains all the entries for all four sections)

in Horizons - just the one binds file

in the binds directory you also find that you have StartPreset.4.start which lists the binds file for each of the four sections of odyssey to load on starting - Horizons has StartPreset.start just the one

By the way - your binds file should be called SOMETHING.4.0.binds for Odyssey and SOMETHING.3.0.binds for Horizons

that should be reflected in line 2 within the binds file for Odyssey as:

<Root PresetName="SOMETHING" MajorVersion="4" MinorVersion="0">

(different MajorVersion for Horizons)

Last edited:
that is where Root PresetName is - line 2 of the binds file

yes you should see the name in the drop down lists

there are 4 sections in Ody options/controls so you could actually have 4 different binds files - but normally they would all refer to the same one (which contains all the entries for all four sections)

in Horizons - just the one binds file

in the binds directory you also find that you have StartPreset.4.start which lists the binds file for each of the four sections of odyssey to load on starting - Horizons has StartPreset.start just the one

By the way - your binds file should be called SOMETHING.4.0.binds for Odyssey and SOMETHING.3.0.binds for Horizons

that should be reflected in line 2 within the binds file for Odyssey as:

<Root PresetName="SOMETHING" MajorVersion="4" MinorVersion="0">

(different MajorVersion for Horizons)
Thanks. Your explanation makes perfect sense... yet, even renaming the file (in the Root PresetName, as well as in the directory) still only shows the options I put up above. I've found a couple of different routes I can take to different Elite folders in \appdata\... one for two different versions of my user name (?), and -- within them -- "Local", "LocalLow", and "Roaming". Maybe I need to figure out which of those is the actual path the game takes when it's loading.
Anyway: thanks for the help, I'll keep plugging away -- may come back when I've figured more out to seek additional guidance. {~;

Thanks. Your explanation makes perfect sense... yet, even renaming the file (in the Root PresetName, as well as in the directory) still only shows the options I put up above. I've found a couple of different routes I can take to different Elite folders in \appdata\... one for two different versions of my user name (?), and -- within them -- "Local", "LocalLow", and "Roaming". Maybe I need to figure out which of those is the actual path the game takes when it's loading.
Anyway: thanks for the help, I'll keep plugging away -- may come back when I've figured more out to seek additional guidance. {~;

your bindings are located in:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Well if the bindings file produces an error in not finding a controller then it won't be loaded and so won't appear as a valid option to choose in the game's options / controls list. (This is why you see plaintiff cries on the forums that their binds are lost - they have not plugged-in or switched on a controller before starting the game.)

If the GUID 231D011F number refers to a controller that you don't actually have - like rudder pedals as @Lhorndra deduces - then you just need to use the notepad (or similar) editor to "find and replace" GUID 231D011F with {NoDevice} so the lines read as:

<Primary Device="{NoDevice}" Key="" />

(Unless of course the GUID number was Secondary Device but you are just replacing the string between the " marks.)

If it actually refers to a controller of the same type you have (pedals / joystick / whatever) then you need to replace the faulty GUID number 231D011F with the correct GUID (or device name) for your controller. So find what that is then use the "find and replace" in notepad to replace 231D011F with your GUID number (or device name).

To find out what the game calls your controller - load the game, select a default option (like generic joystick) go to Options / Controls assign something using your controller (an axis or button) click assign - exit the game - open custom.4.0.binds in the directory I gave above - now look for the control you just changed - you will see either a GUID number or a device name.

I really don't know why you don't just start from fresh if this downloaded binds file is giving you so much grief. Although it is giving you insights into the game I suppose. ;)

good luck

Last edited:
Hi! I would like to request support for Virpil Joysticks and throtlle. (Virpil Constellation Alpha, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle)

Thanks for the great work.

Unknown Device reference: zspolx

My VKB Gladiator EVO Premium Left & Right aren't supported, and I really want to create a ref card please.

Attachments

• SCG_Left.pdf
    301.1 KB · Views: 176
  • SCG_Right.pdf
    302.3 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom