ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Horizons Set to Land for All Commanders

Here's why us LEP owners are upset, and I'm surprised it even needs explaining.
This is what we thought we were paying £120 for: "For a limited time only, players will be able to purchase a Lifetime Expansion Pass granting access to all current and future Seasons of Elite: Dangerous."
This is what we've actually paid £120 for without being informed: For a limited time only, players will be able to purchase a Lifetime Expansion Pass granting EARLY access to all current and future Seasons of Elite: Dangerous which everyone will eventually get for free, plus some paintjobs.

It looks like those people who paid £120 for access to ALL seasons would still have gained access to all seasons without spending £120. The simple fact is, had Frontier advertised the Lifetime Expansion Pass as it's turning out to be (Pass holders gain access to All expansions, but each expansion will become free to all before the following one is released), our complaints would have no basis. It was false advertisement (even if they didn't know at the time that they would decide this in the future). If everyone is getting access to all expansions regardless of having bought a LEP, then what the LEP actually is, is: a subscription to some paintjobs at random intervals.

Last edited:
Here's why us LEP owners are upset, and I'm surprised it even needs explaining.
This is what we thought we were paying £120 for: "For a limited time only, players will be able to purchase a Lifetime Expansion Pass granting access to all current and future Seasons of Elite: Dangerous."
This is what we've actually paid £120 for without being informed: For a limited time only, players will be able to purchase a Lifetime Expansion Pass granting EARLY access to all current and future Seasons of Elite: Dangerous which everyone will eventually get for free, plus some paintjobs.

It looks like those people who paid £120 for access to ALL seasons would still have gained access to all seasons without spending £120. The simple fact is, had Frontier advertised the Lifetime Expansion Pass as it's turning out to be (Pass holders gain access to All expansions, but each expansion will become free to all before the following one is released), our complaints would have no basis. It was false advertisement (even if they didn't know at the time that they would decide this in the future). If everyone is getting access to all expansions regardless of having bought a LEP, then what the LEP actually is, is: a subscription to some paintjobs at random intervals.
But non-LEPers will still have to pay for Odyssey .... unless they wait a few years for the Next Big Update to consolidate Odyssey with Horizons, by which time <insert thoughts here, e.g. SC enters Beta :D>

But, as I pointed out in my post, LEP was not advertised as an early access pass. Regardless of time, Pass owners have still paid to get something that they would get without paying, and be given paintjobs instead.

But, as I pointed out in my post, LEP was not advertised as an early access pass. Regardless of time, Pass owners have still paid to get something that they would get without paying, and be given paintjobs instead.
Are you complaining that Horizons is being rolled into Dangerous for free? As a LEP owner, I feel this makes good operational sense because I would rather FD supported Horizons and Elite Dangerous as the base game, and then Odyssey as the extra DLC on top of that. I wouldn't decry any benefit this will give existing base game owners, because I will be getting Odyssey for 'free,' without having to think about it. OK I paid for it in advance, but that money has not only flowed away with water under the bridge, it has gone out to sea and is making rain somewhere else. :)

Just so long as my LEP entitles me to the free and exclusive Odyssey equivalent of the Cobra IV, such as a Mk II thruster pack with extra space for batteries ;)

No, I'm complaining that LEP is not what was advertised. You even elude to it in your post - "Just so long as my LEP entitles me to the free and exclusive Odyssey equivalent of the Cobra IV."
That wasn't included in the description of the Pass.

I tried my very best to explain it in simple terms and even repeated it in my post, but I guess I'll try again.
What was advertised = THIS
What has been delivered ≠ THIS

It appears as though EVERYONE has a lifetime expansion pass, but those who paid for a lifetime expansion pass are actually getting paintjobs.

Had the Lifetime Expansion Pass been advertised as a subscription to paintjobs, I'd have no leg to stand on.
Had the Lifetime Expansion Pass been advertised as an exclusive ship upon release of each expansion, I wouldn't be able to complain.
Had the Lifetime Expansion Pass been advertised as access to the expansions prior to them being made free-for-all, I'd be forced to shut my mouth.

Yes, the paintjobs are nice, and yes, not dividing the player base is nice, but both those points are irrelevant. The simple fact is, LEP was advertised as access to ALL expansions, but what is being delivered is not that.

Some LEP owners are being uppity about this, not all, some are being pretty understanding and can see the sense in what FD are doing.

Please don't try and speak for all the LEP owners.

It was last on sale 5 years ago as far as I know so owners of the pass will had have at least that amount of time to experience the stuff they bought the pass for and will also be getting odyssey without having to fork over any more money. Personally I've been more than happy to have spent the money back when I did, bought into the game during beta and thought the pass would be worthwhile as I enjoy going for a wander and getting lost in the universe. I understood that it was going to be similar to an MMO lifetime sub thing with some perks on top that wouldn't be earth shattering but nice to have. It's up to FD to say what those perks are just as it's up to them to decide if its less faff for them to consolidate content thats been around for many years to make upcoming paid content easier to obtain.

I guarantee you that if they hadn't opted to blend horizons in there'd be a fair few folk who skipped into oddy for space legs and then went on a rant because they needed planet access from horizons to use them but couldn't be bothered reading basic info.

Current situation with social distancing means my line of work is pretty much impossible so money is getting tight to say the least but the pass does mean that I can at least look forward to something in terms of gaming without worry of paying for it.

One question is simply will you still be able to use the base ED in the launcher as iirc the requirements for ED and Horizons are different. Some people might be locked out of ED if it was removed.

We don't want the 32bit/Mac debacle all over again ;)

No, I'm complaining that LEP is not what was advertised. You even elude to it in your post - "Just so long as my LEP entitles me to the free and exclusive Odyssey equivalent of the Cobra IV."
That wasn't included in the description of the Pass.

I tried my very best to explain it in simple terms and even repeated it in my post, but I guess I'll try again.
What was advertised = THIS
What has been delivered ≠ THIS

It appears as though EVERYONE has a lifetime expansion pass, but those who paid for a lifetime expansion pass are actually getting paintjobs.

Had the Lifetime Expansion Pass been advertised as a subscription to paintjobs, I'd have no leg to stand on.
Had the Lifetime Expansion Pass been advertised as an exclusive ship upon release of each expansion, I wouldn't be able to complain.
Had the Lifetime Expansion Pass been advertised as access to the expansions prior to them being made free-for-all, I'd be forced to shut my mouth.

Yes, the paintjobs are nice, and yes, not dividing the player base is nice, but both those points are irrelevant. The simple fact is, LEP was advertised as access to ALL expansions, but what is being delivered is not that.
The little detail about getting free access immediately instead of in five years doesn't change your view?
What is your problem? I don't get it.

The little detail about getting free access immediately instead of in five years doesn't change your view?
What is your problem? I don't get it.

iu

As a funny sidenote, I DMed FD about giving away my CM4 as a raffle prize in any livestream, and the silence I got just tells me FD regret LEP, exclusive ships and anything outside of traditional software purchases.

Top Bottom