Elite: Dangerous Legacy League

Very odd. I own Odyssey too, but after uninstalling Odd/Hor I haven't had any problems at all. (Steam user also). Oh well... Glad you've got it fixed.
Logically, Odyssey can be uninstalled in two ways: from the launcher and from Steam. When you remove a version from the Launcher, Steam doesn't know about it and tries to "fix" the installation by downloading everything again. It is better to uncheck the option next to Odyssey "DLC" in Steam and it will be uninstalled anyway, but Steam already "knows" to ignore updates for this part of the application and it will be fine.
Lesson learned: game installation operations must be performed from the platform on which it is installed.

The 3 options in Steam regarding updates are just "high priority", "always" or "on running the game" - no option to not keep updated.

I swear I've run games without updating them (because I wanted to play the game and not wait on my slow internet that day).. Now I'm puzzled. Maybe this is a recent change? OR... Wait, maybe I clicked the "PAUSE" on the download page? Drat, I can't remember. :unsure:

I swear I've run games without updating them (because I wanted to play the game and not wait on my slow internet that day).. Now I'm puzzled. Maybe this is a recent change? OR... Wait, maybe I clicked the "PAUSE" on the download page? Drat, I can't remember. :unsure:

you were right - steam HAD the option on "dont upgrade this game", but they changed this some time ago in "update only on gamestart" - which uipset many people

Now this is my kind of lighting!
Legacy001.jpg

There's still life in Legacy! Might not be a lot, but it's something.

Legacy002.jpg

I'll also give Elite credit when it comes to its BGS vs X4's. Like other MMOs and online Space Engineers, Elite's BGS has a "hook" that keeps drawing me back each day, because everything continues in real time. I can't let up on running election ballets, for example, because that BGS cycles continues with or without me. X4 goes on "pause" when I'm not playing, so there's no "I need to log in today or I might lose XYZ" imperative drawing me back. A live BGS is a powerful hook, just like Endeavors in ESO or crops in Farmville.

Time to go test out my new gorilla warfare Viper!

SHARE ANY AND ALL THINGS RELATED TO LEGACY HORIZONS

Enlistment update:

Legacy enlistment so far (new friends):
  • cmdr milesred
  • cmdr x
  • cmdr mandokiin
  • cmdr stubadub
  • cmdr trolly mctrollerson (not found)
  • cmdr q!!!!
  • cmdr max gordon
  • cmdr chiggy vonrictofen
  • cmdr Kyloe
  • cmdr conan02
  • cmdr indarbalt
  • cmdr Old Duck
  • cmdr bronney
  • cmdr Ser Xav
  • cmdr Charlie "Sloe" Gin
  • cmdr sgurr
I will update the OP with the enlistment, and try to keep it updated as long as this thread floats. :)

5c50b0b42bdd7f5a82146436
i wish they would revisit there decision to abandon console development.There is a TON of money just lying on the table, waiting to be collected. A small effort on there part could go along way, combined with a good marketing team this could be a rebirth for Elite One only has to look at the Phenomenal success of G.T.A. 4 .the amount of money it has brought in for a relatively small effort.

Last edited:
Does the BGS sometimes get stuck or miss a tick in Legacy? I did a bunch of stuff yesterday, and NOTHING has changed with any faction today. When exactly is the tick in Legacy?

If the BGS is broken, I quit! 🤪

EDIT / UPDATE - Okay, it seems the BGS updates at a strange time and out-of-sync with election / war days. That's okay, as long as my work counts each day, I don't much care when each day it counts.

Last edited:
See we're all in agreement here. The only problem is when white knights tell you they don't want to hear it. That's counter productive, and given the attitude frontier project themselves, any sort of handwaving from us is probably material harm to us.. at minimum requiring a 3-5 year cycle where frontier get to learn their lesson? I always thought frontier were always aware of what they were doing, and were under developing elite with full awareness and intention, knowing they would be forgiven by the likes of many forum goers.

But they actually thought that the rest of gaming community was us.. their portfolio expressed that, and their share price reflects that the white knights were wrong all along. Its never our fault as players either way.. but sadly, very sadly, there are implications of actions from players and developers it seems.
It's all my fault...

I had a passenger transport mission today to pilot a large number of civilians to a moon in another system, which is perfect for my T7 "Space Train".

Legacy003.jpg

What I immediately noticed, having recently tried Horizons 4.0, is how much better Legacy's planet tech is at rendering planets during approach. The render engine is incredibly smooth (most days) all the way from the sun down to the surface, with a real sense of scale even from space. In Odyssey (Lite), planets feel very flat to me from space and even on approach, until the mountains magically appear and morph and pop and shift and shimmer and fade into existence. And even when these so-called mountains do appear, they look kinda rubbish compared to the average mountains in Legacy.

Note that I'm specifically speaking as a pilot who likes to FLY over planets. I dawned on me that the vast majority of "ooooh, ahhhhh" screenshots for Odyssey are taken on foot at sunrise or sunset. I'm not seeing a ton of impressive shots on approach from space down to an installation on the surface. And even if somebody conjures one up, I'd like to see the VIDEO of said approach, because I suspect it would have all the jank mentioned above.

Funny how Live made me a believer in Elite again, just not the version Frontier wants me to believe in. A toast to the original creators of the Legacy planets we have in 3.8!

iu

Yeah yet the planets in live look immediately unnatural on approach, and often like diseased and festering organic tissue. It’s quite foul and upsetting. I don’t know why they passed that.. or more likely gave up fixing it. There is no basis for those roundish shaped clumps of mountains.

57 contributors to this round of Legacy Thargoid CG. I wonder if it's PC only, or consoles too?
AFAIK everything BGS-related is shared. This worked to my advantage yesterday, because I was able to use my console CMDR (which I haven't longed into in decades) to refuel my fleet carrier. I'm bringing my carrier back to the Bubble (don't worry, it'll be in a zero population system) to assist my endeavors behind enemy lines. My days of deep-space exploration are over.

Please don't. Any kind of player generated gameplay is welcome in Legacy, at least in my opinion. Plop it in Gende if you like. The more the merrier I say. :)
It actually serves my purpose better in an empty system. It literally has become an "aircraft carrier" of sorts off the shores of my enemy who I wage war with, giving me a safe zone to launch attacks and return for refuel and repair. Otherwise I have to make multiple jumps to get to a safe system, because I'm operating in the middle of PMF-controlled space consisting of dozens of systems where I'm a highly wanted man.

Speaking of, Elite affected how I play X4, and conversely X4 has affected how I'm now playing Elite. For example, my aforementioned "carrier" as a staging ground, along with the great temptation to build a squadron of Vipers, each configured slightly differently for different strike roles. It's just too bad I can't install IF on a carrier..

Oh, and I hate fleet carrier clutter, so I won't contribute to regardless if other people mind it or not. I wish there was a BGS mechanism to drive all the abandoned carriers out of Legacy!

Legacy004.jpg

What a lovely moon with deep, well-defined canyons and sharp, distinctive mountains, all rendered in glorious real-time (no popping in) at a rock-solid 60 fps.

My only complaint is that moons like this feel a bit over-saturated to me, but maybe it's realistic. I can always desaturate the specific shader a bit like I did with the orange galaxy if I find that this is indeed "too much color".

I got distracted yesterday by an Elite Legacy "minigame" of mine, one I haven't played in a long, long time. Something I noticed when playing Odyssey is that ELWs felt more "vibrant" than in Legacy, perhaps thanks to the PBR lighting system. So I did some tweaking of a couple of shaders:
DM001.jpg
DM002.jpg

The difference is nuanced and harder to see in small jpgs, but the atmosphere now has more glow and the landmass a bit more diversity.

On the other hand, I do find Legacy's landable planets a bit too vibrant. I understand some moons are actually very colorful IRL, but it feels "cartoony" in Legacy IMO, so here I've dialed back the saturation and dialed up the sunlight, for a more realistic (IMO) feel.
DM003.jpg
DM004.jpg
DM005.jpg

Yes, I know, at first glance it looks like the "Beige Plague", but I'm only desaturating the bright oranges and reds, while leaving more exotic colors like the blues of ice caps and greens of (whatever green is) intact. I just prefer something that looks a bit more like a photo from the Mars Rover than a screenshot from No Man's Sky.

Top Bottom