Elite: Dangerous Legacy League

Bug squashing (not so much)

So I'm trying my hand with this Thargoid CG stuff for the first time, just to say I gave it a go.

So I equipped my Krait with a couple of AX multi cannons and a couple of AX missile launchers and headed off to Pathamon and all I found was a single non human signal source risk level 5 with one single big bug that swiftly proceeded to kick my butt.

Anyone else engaged in this stuff? Am I doing something wrong? Surely, there should be some lower risk levels to play with, no?

Bug squashing (not so much)

So I'm trying my hand with this Thargoid CG stuff for the first time, just to say I gave it a go.

So I equipped my Krait with a couple of AX multi cannons and a couple of AX missile launchers and headed off to Pathamon and all I found was a single non human signal source risk level 5 with one single big bug that swiftly proceeded to kick my butt.

Anyone else engaged in this stuff? Am I doing something wrong? Surely, there should be some lower risk levels to play with, no?

For starting I'd equip 3 large AX multi-cannon only, they work perfectly fine for scouts and Cyclops interceptors without the missiles.
(maybe add 2 x AX flak launchers if you'd like to try interceptors later)

Asterope's a good place to go, lots of NHSS near the star and Copernicus Observatory close to the star for repair and rearm.
Drop into the nav beacon and scan to quickly resolve all the signal sources.

Look for NHSS 3/4, they have Thargoid Scouts only and will let you practice. They have 4 variants, see here for details:
They don't provide much bounty though.

To deal with caustic damage either avoid the green clouds and missles the scouts will fire at you in the first place, or carry a decontamination limpet, or be willing to spike your heat over 100% as it removes caustic damage (heatsinks could be useful for cooling down)

If you want to try interceptors more knowledge of the mechanics would be good before going in. The fights follow a pattern, can point you at stuff if you'd like more info?

Feel free to ping questions, been doing ax stuff since it was introduced.

For starting I'd equip 3 large AX multi-cannon only, they work perfectly fine for scouts and Cyclops interceptors without the missiles.
(maybe add 2 x AX flak launchers if you'd like to try interceptors later)

Asterope's a good place to go, lots of NHSS near the star and Copernicus Observatory close to the star for repair and rearm.
Drop into the nav beacon and scan to quickly resolve all the signal sources.

Look for NHSS 3/4, they have Thargoid Scouts only and will let you practice. They have 4 variants, see here for details:
They don't provide much bounty though.

To deal with caustic damage either avoid the green clouds and missles the scouts will fire at you in the first place, or carry a decontamination limpet, or be willing to spike your heat over 100% as it removes caustic damage (heatsinks could be useful for cooling down)

If you want to try interceptors more knowledge of the mechanics would be good before going in. The fights follow a pattern, can point you at stuff if you'd like more info?

Feel free to ping questions, been doing ax stuff since it was introduced.
Awesome advice. Thanks!

But if I shoot bugs in Asterope, can I still turn them in at the CG?

Do you still fly in Legacy?

Awesome advice. Thanks!

But if I shoot bugs in Asterope, can I still turn them in at the CG?

Do you still fly in Legacy?
Absolutely, doesn't matter where you pick up bounties for any cg I don't think, as long as they are the right targets.

I still legacy, Odyssey is rubbish for srv'ing terrain and VR lighting.

I'll send a friend request next time I'm on, feel free to do the same.

Last edited:
...I'm not a great combat pilot though, and spend most of my time in-game exploring or driving the SRV.
Me neither. I dabbled in PvP long ago, when it was all about skill, shield cells and hull reinforcement, but I wasn't very good. I opted out when Engineers introduced the grind wall. It's mainly been co-op and PvE since, but usually I just solo around in a RES and enjoy the game mechanics. :)

Absolutely, doesn't matter where you pick up bounties for any cg I don't think, as long as they are the right targets.

I still legacy, Odyssey is rubbish for srv'ing terrain and VR lighting.

I'll send a friend request next time I'm on, feel free to do the same.
Awesome. Thanks.

It dawns on me that I can become a limo driver to improve the status of my faction (correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't done passenger runs in ages. I think it's time to convert my Dolphin pirate ship back into a swanky Space Limo like it was meant to be.

Found a single level 5 NHSS in Pathamon.

Then I went to Asterope...

Asterope.gif

If they're going to have a CG, why not have it where NHSS's actually spawn. Classic FD...

Didn't see a single hollow anywhere btw. Whales must be in private and solo. Level 4 is pretty straight forward.

Edit: apparently they did spawn in Pathamon, just not while I was there. Sheesh.

Last edited:
It dawns on me that I can become a limo driver to improve the status of my faction (correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't done passenger runs in ages. I think it's time to convert my Dolphin pirate ship back into a swanky Space Limo like it was meant to be.

Yeah, passenger missions are the best for minor faction rep i find. Not sure about influence, but they seem to reward quite generously.

As I wrote before and my fears were confirmed, update 15.1 and again I have to download the whole damn Odyssey to play on Legacy. Again 47 GB flushed down the toilet. I'm slowly starting to hate this programming junk.

As I wrote before and my fears were confirmed, update 15.1 and again I have to download the whole damn Odyssey to play on Legacy. Again 47 GB flushed down the toilet. I'm slowly starting to hate this programming junk.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I deleted Odyssey and Horizons from the launcher some time ago, and haven't had any issues with Legacy since. No prompts to update/upgrade at all.

Note, important for Steam users who have uninstalled Odyssey from the launcher: in order not to download Odyssey every time you update, go to game options, DLC management and uncheck the "Install" option in the DLC list window. Steam still treats Odyssey as DLC and you can activate it or not.
Disabling this option has interrupted the download and you can run the launcher. Problem solved.
Sorry for the post after the post, but this information as an EDIT would be invisible, and it may be useful to someone.

I sure am glad I ignored everyone who tried to coerce me into buying Odyssey. I'm on Steam and all I get when I download Elite is Legacy, but this must be because I don't own Odyssey.

What I don't understand is why you can't just disable updates for Odyssey and still play Legacy. I ignore updates all the time, except when it's required to connect to a game server.

Note, important for Steam users who have uninstalled Odyssey from the launcher: in order not to download Odyssey every time you update, go to game options, DLC management and uncheck the "Install" option in the DLC list window. Steam still treats Odyssey as DLC and you can activate it or not.
Disabling this option has interrupted the download and you can run the launcher. Problem solved.
Sorry for the post after the post, but this information as an EDIT would be invisible, and it may be useful to someone.

Just to clarify, it is under "properties" when you right-click in the library list or click the "cog" on the game page. You get this:

opts.jpg

What I don't understand is why you can't just disable updates for Odyssey and still play Legacy. I ignore updates all the time, except when it's required to connect to a game server.

The 3 options in Steam regarding updates are just "high priority", "always" or "on running the game" - no option to not keep updated.

Very odd. I own Odyssey too, but after uninstalling Odd/Hor I haven't had any problems at all. (Steam user also). Oh well... Glad you've got it fixed.

Top Bottom