Elite: Dangerous Legacy League

Of course you all know that now I'm playing Legacy again on a daily basis, this will be the time Frontier pulls the plug on it. They always find a way to wreck the game when I'm having the most fun, LOL.

View attachment 356510

What a lovely moon with deep, well-defined canyons and sharp, distinctive mountains, all rendered in glorious real-time (no popping in) at a rock-solid 60 fps.

My only complaint is that moons like this feel a bit over-saturated to me, but maybe it's realistic. I can always desaturate the specific shader a bit like I did with the orange galaxy if I find that this is indeed "too much color".
This reminds me of a planet I discovered way back that had mountains so big they look like they jutted into space. I took a few quick screens that came out terrible but always wanted to go back and properly enjoy it and document it.

Playing Odyssey the planet gen is so bad and the fps drops for foot stuff have really turned me off. Doing some light exploration and seeing interesting features from space and going down to check them out was one of my fav parts in Legacy with the extreme terrain variance. As much as I enjoy the light atmospheres and color they add the new planet gen is just poor and it's no longer interesting to srv for me. Collecting cabbages and fungus is also not something I am interested in.

I remember one random planet in bubble I encountered when looking for materials and had a giant mountain range and I spent hours working my way up, trying to struggle to find a way to get to the highest peak and when I did it and beheld the scale of what I did it blew my mind. Odyssey terrain doesnt give me that.

I moved all my assets into carrier balance and I'm going to park up Odyssey and get back into legacy and see if it gives me the will to play more often.

Any combat pilots still playing Legacy? I might need your help, assuming you're a friend and not an enemy of course.
I dabble in the PvE part of it, but I'm not very consistent with my playtime. So I'm not sure if I'd be of much use.

Edit: What kind of wetwork did you have in mind?

Last edited:
I got distracted yesterday by an Elite Legacy "minigame" of mine, one I haven't played in a long, long time. Something I noticed when playing Odyssey is that ELWs felt more "vibrant" than in Legacy, perhaps thanks to the PBR lighting system. So I did some tweaking of a couple of shaders:

The difference is nuanced and harder to see in small jpgs, but the atmosphere now has more glow and the landmass a bit more diversity.

On the other hand, I do find Legacy's landable planets a bit too vibrant. I understand some moons are actually very colorful IRL, but it feels "cartoony" in Legacy IMO, so here I've dialed back the saturation and dialed up the sunlight, for a more realistic (IMO) feel.

Yes, I know, at first glance it looks like the "Beige Plague", but I'm only desaturating the bright oranges and reds, while leaving more exotic colors like the blues of ice caps and greens of (whatever green is) intact. I just prefer something that looks a bit more like a photo from the Mars Rover than a screenshot from No Man's Sky.

I get the feeling you'd love the black skies of Odyssey...
Which is weird cause i like more the Legacy skies and in general the way it is rendered, than the black stuff in Odyssey

I get the feeling you'd love the black skies of Odyssey...
Which is weird cause i like more the Legacy skies and in general the way it is rendered, than the black stuff in Odyssey

It wasn't about black or white, it was literally broken until update 15. Someone smarter than me can describe the specific differences vs legacy in technical terms, but whatever it is, the update 15 skybox is definite pass now, it looks very nice. Only took them 1 year and 51 weeks, you guys should have said something over and over again earlier :p

It wasn't about black or white, it was literally broken until update 15. Someone smarter than me can describe the specific differences vs legacy in technical terms, but whatever it is, the update 15 skybox is definite pass now, it looks very nice. Only took them 1 year and 51 weeks, you guys should have said something over and over again earlier :p

Well, it took them 4 years to get the game to version 3.0 and then another 4 to get to the version 3.8 praised in this thread 😂

Legacy005.jpg

Legacy006.jpg

Well look at that, a CMDR out here in backwaters of the Bubble! This was a rare event even before Odyssey dropped, so I guess Horizons Legacy isn't so dead after all. Even better, it's dead in all the good ways - no more gankers and no more PMFs (who I consider BGS gankers). Granted, the factions themselves exist, but without the backing of giant player mafias, bots, and other "no-win scenarios", they make a great enemy that I can actually fight back against!

iu

Well, much to my chagrin, it appears this dreaded PMF is still active in Legacy, because their fleet carriers have arrived in system now that war for the system has begun. Perhaps it's just one CMDR, or maybe there are dozens. If there are dozens, then I'll just tap the mat and go back to X4 Foundations, because I really don't have interest contending with Eve-like player groups in Elite. What irritates me is that I know there are PMFs out there who don't normally play Legacy, but because of PMF pride, they'll log into Legacy solely to keep their name on a 1000 systems (I've heard them admit as much in these forums). I'm not sure if this PMF is like that or not.

I'll PM those couple who have shown potential interest in helping. Platform doesn't matter, as we're just working to win a civil war in BGS. I'm not looking to destroy this PMF either, I just want to drive them out of my home system and return control to one or more of the native factions. Tomorrow will be an interesting day, since whoever wins the first skirmish (now that the PMF is actively involved) will likely determine who wins the war.

@xzanfr the Borons might be getting their champion back sooner than expected!

UPDATE - the ship traffic report is in my favor. Ship traffic remains relatively low, and I only see one ship (perhaps 2) that can compete with mine in combat capacity. Of course, if the person in this ship has 12 hours a day to dedicate to the game, I'll still lose, LOL.

UPDATE 2 - Reinforcements (for my side) have arrived!! We might just win this thing, woot woot!

Last edited:
So i did it. Been playing odd for a few weeks, very happy with it, and tried again to play legacy.

..... I'm just resigned to being over it. The following results were not expected:

• The skybox in odd looks.. EXACTLY THE SAME as legacy. Ultra / ultra. All those months, years, and posts of white knights claiming odd was so freaking amazing because it was "darker", were high (and telling people they were wrong) on a bug. That got fixed, one year and 51 weeks after release. I don't have anything...
  • Station interiors as seen from within ships look EXACTLY the same as legacy.
  • The system map and galaxy maps are maddening to tears. They work SO WELL compared to odd. If elite was more than a game, it would actually make you scream out loud in frustration... even as a game.. its shocking.
  • The in ship hud is drawn better, clearer, with slight animations to make it feel more expensive.
  • Bloom effect from stars is better in legacy.
  • The planet surfaces from space are not revolting from space, and there are canyons.

The only feature odd has is carrier interiors. You know, the closest thing to ship interiors we're likely going to get. The one feature the development team angrily denies has any point, implemented anyway, and is amazing.

I don't care anymore :) I didn't want to give back legacy, put it that way. For the system and galaxy maps alone. Odd is messed up.

ps. Also, it probably doesn't matter anymore.. but what i do for testing is let the game regenerate a separate graphics folder for each client and just swap them out, just in case. Same overrides between them.

^-------- so which game claims your fealty these days?

.... Its a poor situation. I think i'll have to anchor on the fact that it doesn't matter. My save on both galaxies has enough credits for carriers, years of upkeep, and enough engineered ships for every role.

I keeping thinking back to my very first week of proper playing (after the give up, find OA tutorial video, restart loop). Literally on the first Sunday of learning how to play.. i remember asking the question... "okay, so far so good, so how do i get out of my seat?" -> google -> "oh you cant" -> google -> "elite is a kickstarter, oh its coming, nice" -> then imagining the feature ever since. The only feature i ever wanted for this game was ship interiors apparently. Carrier interiors are the closest we're ever going to get, and im holding onto it dearly.

But at the same time, its effectively useless. The only gameplay i get out of it is roleplay at the start and end of every session, planets during out of bubble exploration. Then there's the stab in the heart every time that frontier are not able to put a space mission board in station interiors. This has to be bordering on employee issues, why they would not do that is in no way helping frontier.

Then there's the bugs in odd that are not in legacy. Eg, clicking points of interest in the system map focuses on the star instead of the planet that the base is on. Trading with fleet carriers requires you to exit the buy / sell dialog and open the market again for the cargo to get removed from your ship (its not a dupe bug, it just never gets removed). You could say there are a few bugs from legacy that got fixed in live as well, by nature of frontier rewriting the feature and the replacement functionality not displaying the same bugs, which is nice too.

The fact that legacy feels more "expensive" as a software product counts to me as well. If you can score elite on "production" its just better in legacy in alot of very noticeable ways. Having said, odd has modernised the station ui which is nice. Its invisible next to the horror of system and galaxy maps. There are also things like the person who designed the stored modules ui has NEVER EVER PLAYED THE GAME. Its simply not possible to have played prior elite, engineered modules themselves, stored them for their own use, then went ahead and made the ui in odd. Literally not possible. You would be harming yourself then see.

So its complicated. I think i have a bit more of a go left in odd, but again because progression doesn't matter for me will try a phase where i just play classic elite and see odd is missed in the same way. Carrier interiors.. not station interiors... just carrier interiors.. is why im still there.. would be completely invisible with the above considerations otherwise.

[...] because progression doesn't matter for me will try a phase where i just play classic elite [...]
Well if you'd like to play some loops where progression does matter, you can help me liberate some systems from the imperialistic player faction that has taken over my little section of the galaxy like locusts in a ripe field. I've got delivery missions and combat missions I can offer you, depending on which you prefer.

Well if you'd like to play some loops where progression does matter, you can help me liberate some systems from the imperialistic player faction that has taken over my little section of the galaxy like locusts in a ripe field. I've got delivery missions and combat missions I can offer you, depending on which you prefer.

Thanks for the offer. Really, so there are some people trying to take over the whole bubble in legacy enjoying the fact that there might not be people there? Nice. Cause some trouble. I did look and my carrier is 16000 tonnes of tritium available for anyone.. but still evaluating (it provides a good goal in the game without much left as well).

.... Its a poor situation. [...]
I'm starting to see that myself.

[...] So its complicated.
Yes, I am facing my own complications now.

But at the same time, its effectively useless.
You're talking about playing Elite? I have thoughts on that below.

Really, so there are some people trying to take over the whole bubble in legacy enjoying the fact that there might not be people there? Nice. Cause some trouble.
This PMF started their colonization of the Bubble long before the Live / Legacy split. While I suspect most have moved on to Odyssey, it's clear that more than a few remain in Legacy, perhaps thanks to console. And while I'm currently winning a war against them in my one little lone system, I don't know if that will hold. They were concentrating their efforts in winning an election in another system, and despite resistance, they did indeed win, so now they could focus their attention on my system.

And hence my own version of "It's complicated." At first I bemoaned that Legacy is too empty, until I realized it would let me enjoy playing the BGS unharassed. And I was able to do exactly that for the last many days, but now that this PMF is "back in town", I think the party may be over for me. I don't have the stamina to fight a PMF, even a small one. That's when the game becomes a job, requiring hours of work every day, and that's not for me. This is what turns fun gameplay loops become a grind.

So while you debate whether to play Odyssey or Legacy, I'm back to debating whether to play Elite or X4 Foundations. Like you said, both have value, and I can see popping into Elite from time to time just to "do something", but I won't be enjoying the BGS if the PMFs still maintain a stronghold over Legacy, and without the BGS, I really have nothing to do "that matters" as you say.

iu

I can now attest to one thing, Legacy is NOT dead. The strength of this PMF, even in Legacy, is undeniable, though I don't know if these are full-time Legacy players or dual-loggers who only play Legacy to maintain their PMF's .... legacy (haha, couldn't resist).

Not sure how long I have, but might as well die fighting! The Borons shall sing a beautiful hymn at my funeral.

Top Bottom