Elite Dangerous 'New Launcher' live today!

When launching the launcher, a graphic artifact appears, and this happens all the time. In the first days after the launch of the new launcher, letters of a certain font were visible in the place of this rectangle, and of a huge size, then this black rectangle appeared in this place. In any case, this is a malfunction, and it is displayed for me from the moment of launching the new launcher.
X.png

When launching the launcher, a graphic artifact appears, and this happens all the time. In the first days after the launch of the new launcher, letters of a certain font were visible in the place of this rectangle, and of a huge size, then this black rectangle appeared in this place. In any case, this is a malfunction, and it is displayed for me from the moment of launching the new launcher.View attachment 365576

Not for me -- it says "working"

My launcher states version 1.7.6920.0 (1.76926.10 REQUIRES UPDATE)
I used to be able to find the launcher installer in "My Downloadable Products" but it is no longer there.
How do I upgrade the launcher?

My launcher states version 1.7.6920.0 (1.76926.10 REQUIRES UPDATE)
I used to be able to find the launcher installer in "My Downloadable Products" but it is no longer there.
How do I upgrade the launcher?
Login to Frontierstore and download from your products.

Sorry to bump up this long thread... but as me and my daughter are sharing the same PC to play, and my account is steam linked, whilst her is on Frontier store, can we make multiple copies of the launcher? As most times when she logs in the launcher requires a verification code, and some times, after she played, the launcher loses the link to my Steam account.

Thanks!

Sorry to bump up this long thread... but as me and my daughter are sharing the same PC to play, and my account is steam linked, whilst her is on Frontier store, can we make multiple copies of the launcher? As most times when she logs in the launcher requires a verification code, and some times, after she played, the launcher loses the link to my Steam account.

Thanks!

I have different copies of the EDLaunch.exe (renamed with the commander name) in the same directory. I don't need to log in again with any of them, each launcher retains the login details for that account.

(To be clear - the launcher login details are held in a user.config file buried in a folder for each account in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier_Developments_Ltd - you don't need to know that, just thought I'd mention it.)

Last edited:

Thanks!
IIRC, if your account is older than spring 2019 you could both login directly from the launcher, no need to start from Steam at all.

IIRC, if your account is older than spring 2019 you could both login directly from the launcher, no need to start from Steam at all.
One is oltder the other is a console transfer, so guess it's "new"... we use the launcher but the "remember me" doesn't work for her, so she has to put mail/password + verification code every time.

I have different copies of the EDLaunch.exe (renamed with the commander name) in the same directory. I don't need to log in again with any of them, each launcher retains the login details for that account.

(To be clear - the launcher login details are held in a user.config file buried in a folder for each account in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier_Developments_Ltd - you don't need to know that, just thought I'd mention it.)
Thanks! Will try this :)

One is oltder the other is a console transfer, so guess it's "new"... we use the launcher but the "remember me" doesn't work for her, so she has to put mail/password + verification code every time.

Isn't the console transfer copy a frontierstore.net account - i.e. it should run direct from a stand-alone (non-Steam) launcher.

In that case I'm pretty sure that you could each have a launcher that remembers the email/password and logs directly in without any manual input. Easy enough to test, just copy the launcher and try to start both accounts directly from the launcher without involving steam.

Just to make things clearer and to summarize:

• if you purchased ED on Steam before some point in 2019 (I think it is April seems to be wrong; correct point in time to be determined), you can use the standalone launcher to log in and launch the game. I'm not sure about how exactly it works, because I never could do this, I purchased my first copy on Steam in September 2019.
  • if you purchased ED on Steam from some point in 2019 onwards, you cannot log in through the standalone launcher. You have to log in and launch the game through Steam, because apparently the authentication scheme changed for those accounts. Launching the game can be done via shortcut. It's probably best done through Steam's "create shortcut" function, but basically you have to run the URL "steam://rungameid/359320" from your shortcut. The same applies for an Epic copy, it needs to be launched through Epic to be able to authenticate you.
  • The old method of creating copies of the launcher and using them to log into different standalone accounts still works. Make copies of EDLaunch.exe and rename them accordingly - like "EDLaunch - Account 1.exe" and "EDLaunch - Account 2.exe". Whatever is descriptive enough for you. The Launcher now stores its credentials in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier_Developments_Ltd in subfolders according to the name of the launcher copies. That way you can log into as many standalone Frontier accounts as you wish.
  • If you only have two standalone copies, this is easy peasy. Just make two copies of EDLaunch.exe in your install directory, and off you go.
  • if you have to run a mixed Steam / standalone setup, you can use the Steam installation to log into both your Steam account and your standalone account. There is no need for a separate standalone installation. Just launch your Steam copy from Steam or a Steam shortcut, and make a copy of EDLaunch.exe and use it to log into your standalone account. This works, I just tested it.

(Edited to reflect that April 2019 might be wrong)

Last edited:
I bought ed on steam after april 2019 and i run only standalone launcher without steam
Just fyi :p
Maybe April is wrong. When did you buy it? I bought it in September and cannot log in standalone. Or could not; actually I bought a license from Frontier on my main account (which was originally the Steam connected one) when it was on sale to get rid of the Steam requirement.

Last edited:
Addendum: There is an article in the support database:

https://customersupport.frontier.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/4404180354194 said:

STEAM (non-key)​

• All Steam purchases of Elite Dangerous made after April 2019 are non-key.
  • They will not exist on your Frontier account, even when linked.
  • Your link to Steam will be displayed under 'third-party accounts' on the Frontier Store.

Non-key Steam licenses must be run from the Steam account that made the purchase, via linking, and use of the 'Steam log in' button. They cannot be run from a different Steam account, nor a standalone or Epic installation of the game.

STEAM (key copies)​

• All Steam purchases of Elite Dangerous made prior to April 2019 will be key copies.
  • You need to redeem your Steam keys to your Frontier account, at which point, they will show as license entitlements/orders on your account, when viewing your products on the Frontier store.
  • A link to Steam is not required, but can be added if preferred, and will appear under 'third-party accounts'.

I bought ed on steam after april 2019 and i run only standalone launcher without steam
Just fyi :p

I have an alt account that came from a Humblebundle Steam-code. Turns out that the version Humblethingie gave the code for was a cd-key version - so that is a Steam version bought (from Humble...) in 2021 (I think) and it runs outside Steam.

So maybe some post April2019 sales were for cd-key versions or maybe (which I suspect is the case) the "deal" one came from a batch allocated by Steam before that date.

Top Bottom