Elite Dangerous 'New Launcher' live today!

Is there a good reason to use different colors and shapes in the ED launcher than the ones in the ED game?
The ED game (at least the main menu) uses orange buttons with rectangular shapes:
NBEZIRv.png

However, the ED launcher uses another color and another shape:
View attachment 363463
So, it makes more sense to have this:
View attachment 363464
You are aware that one of the most common things to do to ED is to modify a graphics file or use something like EDHudModifier to get rid of or tone down the orange often to something not dissimilar to the button colour in the new launcher.

is there anyway to make the launcher select default version to start with permanently, i mainly play dangerous horizons and have to go through a click-athon every launch

Is there any way to suppress the little Windows pop-up that prepares a hardware report to send to Frontier? I'm using GeforceNow so a fresh VM is assigned on launch, meaning that the window appears every time I launch the game (annoyingly obscuring the Steam Login button so I can't just ignore it). I enable the cursor on my controller and navigate to the window to hit the X or Cancel/Send - would be trivial with a mouse but requires a little concentration to get that kind of fine movement control on my controller.

Have been using GeforceNow for 9 months, hadn't seen that hardware report window until the new launcher came out. Not a biggie, but would get rid of it if I could...

Is there any way to suppress the little Windows pop-up that prepares a hardware report to send to Frontier? I'm using GeforceNow so a fresh VM is assigned on launch, meaning that the window appears every time I launch the game (annoyingly obscuring the Steam Login button so I can't just ignore it). I enable the cursor on my controller and navigate to the window to hit the X or Cancel/Send - would be trivial with a mouse but requires a little concentration to get that kind of fine movement control on my controller.

Have been using GeforceNow for 9 months, hadn't seen that hardware report window until the new launcher came out. Not a biggie, but would get rid of it if I could...

hopefully Sally will see your post and forward the info to the dev team.

I find it sad that the new game launcher is brand new and was released without basic functionality testing (or with known bugs).

1. When PC is not connected to the Internet, rather than indicating a connection error the launcher asks the user for login credentials. Which obviously doesn't work. And leads the player down the wrong path thinking they need to login... and their credentials don't work? Try again.... nope doesn't work. Did I forget my password? Normally I don't need to login... it remembers me. What the heck? Ohhhhh.... I am not conected to the internet! So why is the software asking me to login?

2. Server Status does not indicate properly. It says things are good when I know 100% for certain the ED servers are not available for gameplay.

Last edited:
i find it increadible that they launched a game of past, without basic knowledge of how to generated a landscape and added objects on top without smoothing the landscape below said objected truely amazing, and your worried about a front end launcher

as the game utilizes direct x 9 dll's and the launcher utilizes internet exploer 11 coding I would hardly call it brand new 🤷‍♂️
it has been rearranged to include a hardware survey and is all nicely piggybacking on a far from entirley stable peer to peer shopping network server courtesy of amazon AWS lowest tier...………..
what could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:
as the game utilizes direct x 9 dll's and the launcher utilizes internet exploer 11 coding I would hardly call it brand new 🤷‍♂️
it has been rearranged to include a hardware survey and is all nicely piggybacking on a far from entirley stable peer to peer shopping network server courtesy of amazon AWS lowest tier...………..
what could possibly go wrong?
Ouch!

I wonder ... will the new launcher ever be updated so Steam users do not have to login with Steam every time they start the launcher. The old launcher managed to remember you were logged in with Steam, and actually log you in, no bother at all.

I wonder ... will the new launcher ever be updated so Steam users do not have to login with Steam every time they start the launcher. The old launcher managed to remember you were logged in with Steam, and actually log you in, no bother at all.
would perhaps /autorun as launch option in steam help? launcher still makes you select the account but after a few seconds the game should launch by itself without pressing anything in the launcher.
also if you are on windows you can just run the launcher by itself. with the new one there is no need to go through steam

never owned a second account could have even got 1 free via epic but one is more than enough for me, but if I had to guess logout and untick remember me in the launcher
and possibly try login into them with typo credentials so they are refused once before entering correct and ticking rem me again in each launcher perhapse else drop support a line or wait for another multi account holder to answer...……….

Last edited:
would perhaps /autorun as launch option in steam help? launcher still makes you select the account but after a few seconds the game should launch by itself without pressing anything in the launcher.
also if you are on windows you can just run the launcher by itself. with the new one there is no need to go through steam
pfft playing in Windows.

playing in Linux lends itself to launching from steam vs setting things up to launch with proton outside of steam.

the old launcher worked fine for remembering you logged in via whatever account. this new launcher provides no benefit that didn't exist in the old one better while it regresses multiple behaviours.

fdev didn't address any user requests regarding the game's launcher... they just updated it for what i assume is some internal convenience with aligning their launcher with the various distribution networks it's been put on.

Is there anyway to install the game on a separate drive to the main C drive. The old launcher allowed it but for the life of me i cannot find the option in the new launcher. Why does every upgrade turn out to be a down grade.

Last edited:
Is there anyway to install the game on a sepperate drive to the main C drive. The old launcher allowed it but for the life of me i cannot find the option in the new launcher. Why does evry upgrade turn out to be a down grade.

If you run the client-installer.exe file in the directory and drive where you want the install to live - that should do what you are asking for.

If you run the client-installer.exe file in the directory and drive where you want the install to live - that should do what you are asking for.
Unfortunately it still installs on the C drive, looks like i will not be reinstalling as i need space on my C drive for other things. I have raised a support ticket but i don't expect an answer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom