ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
but in our context here, horizons, aswell as odyssey are literally the same intertwined game world, same universe, same old zones, but with extras on them. and players can interact seamlessly across base, horizons and odyssey. separating them into separate builds sounds a bit unlikely to me.

We do it all the time in our current system. We have a single back end that supports multiple platforms and client versions all sharing a single instance, as long as there have been no breaking changes to the network communication protocol or the back end data model which the old client versions couldn't understand (requiring us to bump the minimum version number and forcing client updates across all platforms).

the reason why im confident odyssey cannot be it's separate standalone build, is because players who dont own it, can still land on planets and watch players walking around, even shoot and interact with them.

Wait. Do we know that Horizons users can watch players walking around?

I'm just saying, it's entirely plausible that Odyssey content, from the perspective of a Horizons player, simply might not be there. Just like the Horizons variants of planet 3D models and the entire planet surfaces simply aren't there for the base game client. Players of both each see "a planet" in the same spot, but the base game renders something completely different compared to Horizons. Screenshots of such were shared in this very thread I think.

Everything I've observed as to how the launcher, the base game and Horizons behave, it all sounds to me like the "similar but separate applications" scenario, and that gives me great concern regarding Odyssey. It's potentially great in the "maybe they dumped the spaghetti and wrote a fresh one from scratch" sense, but if they left all the VR stuff in the legacy codebase and are now just doing the usual "nothing to announce at this time, but we are considering it, and it is definitely on the table for future" , then I think it's a major loss for the consumer VR scene.

also, nice to see a fellow dev in these forums o7

Likewise. o7, cmdr

So what you are saying is you are salty about people having opinions and you feel entitled to everyone agreeing with you.

if you don't like it don't read it.
If you don't like the game - don't play it - each to their own - go sprinkle your salt on another game or better yet, give it to the farm animals, they need a good lick ...

Come on man. Its weekend; let your creative brain cells have their fun!
I can think of plenty of activities. So far nothing that adds enough marginal benefit to justify the cost (as opposed to enhancing other parts of the game). Resources are limited. Every developer working on inside-the-ship gameplay is not working on better planet tech, walking on planets, etc.

One needs to try VR to understand how utterly fundamentally different that gaming experience is. Not with just Elite, with pretty much any game. DCS World. War Thunder. Racing sims, military sims and fps games...

People who haven't tried VR simply don't know what they are talking about. Stating that "it's not that big of a deal, you can always go back to playing on your monitor" is just cringe.

No we can't. It's like saying "go back to playing on your Atari".

🤣 🤣 FD has the actual numbers. You don't. You just don't want to accept the obvious. VR is a niche technology.
Hang on, you don't have the numbers, FD do so if it's niche why didn't they say no VR ever? Saying at launch suggests it isn't niche and may be brought in later, they just haven't figured it out yet. FD would really clear all this up if they gave us some more details on numbers and likelihood of it actually being brought back in.

Admittedly after a few hours you want to scratch the skin of your face. It's worth it but could definitely be improved.

PS want to know something weird? In VR, if I don't have my distance contact lenses in, stuff in the distance is blurred like in real life. Even the screens are only a couple of inches from my eyes. My optician is baffled.
In VR there is the word "Reality".

This should reassure your optician . :p

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

Congrats on your first post and welcome to the forums! 🍻

O7,
🙃
Thanks, sorry I came out of the gate guns blazing lol - I played the original Elite way back in the day in the 80's as a teenager on my C64 and loved Elite then. I stumbled across Elite Dangerous while searching for an emulator for the original for PC about a year or so ago. I've been playing Elite Dangerous ever since and never got around to getting that emulator LOL. My gaming PC died a few months ago and instead of going that route again, I made the switch to XB1 and love it. Tried a lot of different careers: not so good in combat, melting asteroids melts my brain, and exploration is just too lonely even with a hottie SLF pilot to keep me company. For some really strange reason, Trading and my trusty T-9 Heavy "Charlize" is the most fun I have ever had in a game. Love it! Thanks again and see you in the black o7

🤣 🤣 FD has the actual numbers. You don't. You just don't want to accept the obvious. VR is a niche technology.
Allegedly the main reason ED self published was precisely so FD could support a niche and not play it safe like a big publisher would.this was why I really doubled down when FD were cap in hand wanting cash to make the game. They asked us to take a leap of faith with them and buy sight unseen. I was happy to do so but it seems that faith was misplaced.

PS want to know something weird? In VR, if I don't have my distance contact lenses in, stuff in the distance is blurred like in real life. Even the screens are only a couple of inches from my eyes. My optician is baffled.

Correct. You're eyes are focusing on a "distant" point. Indeed if you buy prescription lenses for your HMD (which I highly recommend - glasses suck in the HMD) it will be your long distance script.

Thanks, sorry I came out of the gate guns blazing lol - I played the original Elite way back in the day in the 80's as a teenager on my C64 and loved Elite then. I stumbled across Elite Dangerous while searching for an emulator for the original for PC about a year or so ago. I've been playing Elite Dangerous ever since and never got around to getting that emulator LOL. My gaming PC died a few months ago and instead of going that route again, I made the switch to XB1 and love it. Tried a lot of different careers: not so good in combat, melting asteroids melts my brain, and exploration is just too lonely even with a hottie SLF pilot to keep me company. For some really strange reason, Trading and my trusty T-9 Heavy "Charlize" is the most fun I have ever had in a game. Love it! Thanks again and see you in the black o7
After reading your first two posts I thought you were a teenager. :LOL:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom