Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

So when you say "The planet tech smokes Odyssey by a mile" you mean their small number of hand crafted planet levels.
And what can you do on 99% of the planets in Elite? Collect minerals and that's it, they are randomly generated empty worlds, "look a mountain...look a valley, good for desktop backgrounds but no caves, forests, flowers and weather...I don't know why you are in denial but you have to face the facts, Odyssey is a half hearted attempt. I've been playing Elite since 2015 all in VR which is awesome but their lack of enthusiasm has ruined the experience for me.

And what can you do on 99% of the planets in Elite? Collect minerals and that's it, they are randomly generated empty worlds, "look a mountain...look a valley, good for desktop backgrounds but no caves, forests, flowers and weather...I don't know why you are in denial but you have to face the facts, Odyssey is a half hearted attempt. I've been playing Elite since 2015 all in VR which is awesome but their lack of enthusiasm has ruined the experience for me.
What can you do on SC's small number of hand crafted planetary levels?

You're simply trying to compare two different games trying to do different things in terms of planets. When SC can get a 1:1 sim of the galaxy with the same hand-crafted level of detail ... well, good luck. Or even their claimed 100 systems.

What can you do on SC's small number of hand crafted planetary levels?

You're simply trying to compare two different games trying to do different things in terms of planets. When SC can get a 1:1 sim of the galaxy with the same hand-crafted level of detail ... well, good luck. Or even their claimed 100 systems.
So you want a billion randomly generated planets with virtual nothing on them or hand crafted planets with caves, weather, oceans, lakes etc sorry but SC in 2021 has left Elite in the dust. The planet tech is far superior to Odyssey, full ship interiors with live multicrew, a much larger variety of ships that are unique, not the same cockpit panel copy and pasted on every ship. I'd had always considered SC a long running joke but for the last few weeks of playing it, I realize this is one of the best games I've played in a long time and I'm a die hard VR player. And they do plan on fully implementing VR to SC. So really the only thing Elite has over SC is VR and stability.

So you want a billion randomly generated planets with virtual nothing on them or hand crafted planets with caves, weather, oceans, lakes etc sorry but SC in 2021 has left Elite in the dust. The planet tech is far superior to Odyssey, full ship interiors with live multicrew, a much larger variety of ships that are unique, not the same cockpit panel copy and pasted on every ship. I'd had always considered SC a long running joke but for the last few weeks of playing it, I realize this is one of the best games I've played in a long time and I'm a die hard VR player. And they do plan on fully implementing VR to SC. So really the only thing Elite has over SC is VR and stability.

What you are leaving out is SC is still almost unplayable.

What you are leaving out is SC is still almost unplayable.
Really? My buddy and I have been playing for a few weeks, sure it still has issues but we played the other night for hours with no problems. We did mining in a wing and bounty hunting in multicrew. I have been a long time Elite player and just recently gave SC a go and it's by far a better game, the planet tech is ten times better than Odyssey.
Some of my gameplay
Source: https://youtu.be/bC6lAVLqFII

Really? My buddy and I have been playing for a few weeks, sure it still has issues but we played the other night for hours with no problems. We did mining in a wing and bounty hunting in multicrew. I have been a long time Elite player and just recently gave SC a go and it's by far a better game, the planet tech is ten times better than Odyssey.
Some of my gameplay
I don't know who to believe about it. A lot of people are still complaining about it big time. So I will save my money for now till everybody gets on the same page.

I don't know who to believe about it. A lot of people are still complaining about it big time. So I will save my money for now till everybody gets on the same page.
I was the same way, I even made fun of SC when Odyssey was coming out, thinking Odyssey would put the nail in the SC coffin but man I was wrong. It's quite the opposite.

Some of my gameplay
I downloaded SC a couple of weeks ago and it just constantly crashed on the menu screen so I got my money back. I downloaded it again yesterday for the free fly thing. It crashed several times on the menu screen but I managed to get started. It is very impressive, or will be sometime in the future when it actually works consistently. I was stuck in my seat on the shuttle, buttons not working and menu crashes. All this in an hour of gameplay, thats too much effort. Going back to Odyssey after that was like a dream. The money and time that's gone into SC it should be far more stable. ED hasn't had a fraction of the SC budget and it's a far more mature game.

I was the same way, I even made fun of SC when Odyssey was coming out, thinking Odyssey would put the nail in the SC coffin but man I was wrong. It's quite the opposite.
Well Ody is pretty well straightened out and it is still in VR I will buy nothing that is not in VR. Besides I just don't trust SC like I do ED.

I downloaded SC a couple of weeks ago and it just constantly crashed on the menu screen so I got my money back. I downloaded it again yesterday for the free fly thing. It crashed several times on the menu screen but I managed to get started. It is very impressive, or will be sometime in the future when it actually works consistently. I was stuck in my seat on the shuttle, buttons not working and menu crashes. All this in an hour of gameplay, thats too much effort. Going back to Odyssey after that was like a dream. The money and time that's gone into SC it should be far more stable. ED hasn't had a fraction of the SC budget and it's a far more mature game.
No doubt Elite is more stable, I think with SC it's hot or miss, I've actually had pretty good luck being able to play for several hours. Ive only played ED in VR and its awesome but with Odyssey it's been a frustrating experience mostly because they refuse to fix...add headlook VR. I figured I might as well try SC since I'm being forced back into 2d. And I clearly see the difference and direction these games are going and SC is going in the right direction.

Well Ody is pretty well straightened out and it is still in VR I will buy nothing that is not in VR. Besides I just don't trust SC like I do ED.
SC is the only 2d game I own, everything else is VR, Elite is awesome in VR except for that theater screen nonsense, I downloaded SC to learn how to play it and now I prefer it over Elite. I have been pushing for VR on their forums as well. The Devs do have plan to implement it.

SC is the only 2d game I own, everything else is VR, Elite is awesome in VR except for that theater screen nonsense, I downloaded SC to learn how to play it and now I prefer it over Elite. I have been pushing for VR on their forums as well. The Devs do have plan to implement it.
My moto is No VR No Money.

To be fair, there's still people with major problems in EDO and yet I've not had major issues that impacted my enjoyment since it dropped.

Sure they do. They have a plan to implement everything that might make people buy in.

How's the sandworm looking these days?

Is the pvp slider working well?

They're close to the promised 100+ star systems now, right?

If you're like the ex ED players who left and moved to SC after engineers because it ruined pvp, SC have plans to not do that.

If you want to craft upgrades to your ships, SC have plans for you to do that.

Yeah.

If you're like the ex ED players who left and moved to SC after engineers because it ruined pvp, SC have plans to not do that.

If you want to craft upgrades to your ships, SC have plans for you to do that.

Yeah.
I want no engineering, and to affirm my commitment to this game, I shall spend £10,000 of my own money on ships and backing!
DONE! We listen to our players, and we pledge to never allow engineering!

Well, I DO want engineering, and to affirm my commitment to this game, I shall spend £20,000 of my own money on ships and backing!
DONE! Engineering it is! To the backer in the back, do we hear £30,000???

I want no engineering, and to affirm my commitment to this game, I shall spend £10,000 of my own money on ships and backing!
DONE! We listen to our players, and we pledge to never allow engineering!

Well, I DO want engineering, and to affirm my commitment to this game, I shall spend £20,000 of my own money on ships and backing!
DONE! Engineering it is! To the backer in the back, do we hear £30,000???
NO VR NO money

Top Bottom