Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 3

I know I can play chess at the moment on Medium settings after scanning the planet surface, all I need is some pieces, with my GTX 1060

To everyone mentioning fps. It is REALLY difficult to compare anything, unless you tell what resolution you're running, what LOD settings, what hardware, and to a certain degree what GPU driver. Of course anyone is used to their rig and therefore can "feel" if fps is going up or down, but just posting "I get lousy fps" (as I did wrote yesterday before rebooting) holds as much useful information as "cats are cats".

I run RTX3070, R3950x, 64 GB RAM @3200, 970 Evo SSD, gigabit internet, HP Reverb G2, and a 4K monitor for pancake. On the 4K monitor using Ultra+, no SS, no AA and no blur, I get 60+ fps in space and ~50 fps on planets. I get decent performance in VR in stations (except the ones in asteroids), but I have not been to any burning settlement (I'm outside the Bub).

Generally speaking I see at least 10 fps more after Update 3, and even though I hope for more next week, this has been a huge improvement making the game a joy to play again, even though the VR performance (same resolution as 4K the monitor) still is meh. Anywhos :alien:(y)

Last edited:
To everyone mentioning fps. It is REALLY difficult to compare anything, unless you tell what resolution you're running, what LOD settings, what hardware, and to a certain degree what GPU driver. Of course anyone is used to their rig and therefore can "feel" if fps is going up or down, but just posting "I get lousy fps" (as I did yesterday before rebooting) holds as much useful information as "cats are cats".

I run RTX3070, R3950x, 64 GB RAM @3200, 970 Evo SSD, gigabit internet, HP Reverb G2, and a 4K monitor for pancake. On the 4K monitor using Ultra+, no SS, no AA and no blur, I get 60+ fps in space and ~50 fps on planets. I get decent performance in VR in stations (except the ones in asteroids), but I have not been to any burning settlement (I'm outside the Bub).

Generally speaking I see at least 10 fps more after Update 3, and even though I hope for more next week, this has been a huge improvement making the game a joy to play again, even though the VR performance (same resolution as 4K the monitor) still is meh. Anywhos :alien:(y)
So you ask people to state their settings and don't yourself. I play in VR on a G2 so what settings are you using for that? What SteamSS, what in game settings, reprojection setting, what's "decent performance", what fps in VR

So you ask people to state their settings and don't yourself. I play in VR on a G2 so what settings are you using for that? What SteamSS, what in game settings, reprojection setting, what's "decent performance", what fps in VR
Yeah: "as I did yesterday before rebooting"

I honestly haven't found a way to measure fps in VR. I saw an old Reddit post about some Steam statistic menu, but I haven't been able to find it in Steam (that UI btw). As I said I run SS as close to 1:1 as possible. In Steam I chose the resolution being closest to the native G2 resolution. If anyone knows how to measure fps in VR, please let me know.

As a curiosity, it seems that changing the resolution of the pancake window while playing VR has no effect on fps. That is strange as I would expect that running 4K vs 720p in the window would be hard on the hardware, but it doesn't seem to change much.

As I wrote I still find the VR performance "meh", but I guess running VR gets you somewhat used to that. It's definitely better after Update 3, and in pancake 4K the fps for me is "fine", given that I have a 60 Hz monitor. I haven't heard anything about the plans for VR, but I read somewhere that Arthur would give more info on that, and within certain limits he does seem to have understood the value of being frank and telling it as it is now. Thanks Arthur et al. It takes courage :)

Yeah: "as I did yesterday before rebooting"

I honestly haven't found a way to measure fps in VR. I saw an old Reddit post about some Steam statistic menu, but I haven't been able to find it in Steam (that UI btw). As I said I run SS as close to 1:1 as possible. In Steam I chose the resolution being closest to the native G2 resolution. If anyone knows how to measure fps in VR, please let me know.

As a curiosity, it seems that changing the resolution of the pancake window while playing VR has no effect on fps. That is strange as I would expect that running 4K vs 720p in the window would be hard on the hardware, but it doesn't seem to change much.

As I wrote I still find the VR performance "meh", but I guess running VR gets you somewhat used to that. It's definitely better after Update 3, and in pancake 4K the fps for me is "fine", given that I have a 60 Hz monitor. I haven't heard anything about the plans for VR, but I read somewhere that Arthur would give more info on that, and within certain limits he does seem to have understood the value of being frank and telling it as it is now. Thanks Arthur et al. It takes courage :)
Try the utility fpsVR, cost a few quid but gives you fps and frame times in VR, excellent for tuning all games and lets you determine SteamSS on a per application basis. It also gives CPU usage and that's an eye opener and can also cause it to drop into reprojection.

The other oddity I noticed was that the monitor resolution affects the NPC speech text overlay size in VR.

Top Bottom