Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6

Screenshot_0038.jpg

This one could be a problem.

With Update 6, GPUs appear to be under utilized, and the engine is struggle with FPS on planets while in srv. I even turned all my settings to Ultra to try and force the game to request higher frequencies from my 3080ti and it won't do it. Tools along at 1450Mhz at 70% utilization. Don't even see a bobble in the utilization readings during the sudden FPS drops.

Good times. Walking away again until Update 7 I guess.

Guys & gals. Please check / pay attention for my idea ... on some settlements (it was minings with lasers and alot of npc ships for me) I'm getting 1 digit fps with 2060 card, it was in build 600 and 700. Spike is like 5-7 seconds itself and is repeated like each 30-40s.
So my idea is .... it is landing NPC ships. Also I have LOD set to Ultra. I think ships + Ultra LOD (when u see cool planet from orbit) do a problem.
So if you can - pay attention to that and post some observations.
Yes, I noticed earlier that 90% of times there are many spikes there are no ships nearby, either landing or on patrol.

For all the work that clearly went into update 6, it seems odd I'm seeing very little increase in FPS.

I'm willing to put that down to my ancient GPU but I hope there will be an update 7 and the Devs have many a Eureka moment and give us optimisations and increases in frame rates orders of magnitude above what we have now.

However, by the time that arrives, I hope my new rig will be in situ with its spanking, shiny 3080 making everything look and perform most excellently and bodaciously.
FD said earlier that they were make significant strides with regards to performance but that it won't be in U6, which mostly had some tweaked shaders and additional culling work. So yes, there will be a U7, but it's unknown if the performance improvements can be rolled out then.

FD said earlier that they were make significant strides with regards to performance but that it won't be in U6, which mostly had some tweaked shaders and additional culling work. So yes, there will be a U7, but it's unknown if the performance improvements can be rolled out then.
It's time.

Have you tried looking underground/in walls ? I ask because that's where they usually hide, found one today in fact buried up to his waist behind some containers (slippery little devil). On a more serious note 99% chance it's just another bug that's appeared, as for being fixed well don't hold your breath.
I used my SRV to "scan" for the last one and it didn't work either time. I am out on a journey to Magellan's Star and I hope to see that it was a fluke or is fixed when I return in September - October.

FD said earlier that they were make significant strides with regards to performance but that it won't be in U6
But U6 did have a significant stride with regards to performance. I've never had this bad and consistent chugging on foot. There's something like a multitude of loading boundaries. It's so bad even the built in frame counter (which runs a 3 second average) dropped to 10.

I just tested it. I wanted to try some on-foot pew-pew, but performance is still dropping below 60 FPS on planetary conflict zones on my mostly-decent modern computer. I guess I'll have to stop playing again and come back in a few months.

This was already an issue before today's patch for me. :/

using an xbox controller is now a pain, in the SRV 😬 Previously you could hold a button and the legend would appear with all the associated key-combos - this no longer happens and the "master button" activates its base function as well as whatever combo function is being attempted eg if I press and hold "A" button (for example) and dPad Left for my headlights, it still does the light change but it also activates the handbrake (which is "A" on its own). I've made sure it's not set to "press to hold" in the settings, tried resetting the controls to defaults etc. but stuffs not working correctly.

This was fine for me before update 6, and I found out just now that this is also an issue for me now though.

But it is getting so much better to play now, No loot on discovery of crash sites. I love how the fixes break everything else, almost like it was never tested prior to being launched in to production. shame, shame, shame....

Unable to sell any stolen loot again.

801021 am Black Adder error.jpg

I used my SRV to "scan" for the last one and it didn't work either time. I am out on a journey to Magellan's Star and I hope to see that it was a fluke or is fixed when I return in September - October.
I had seen this during U5 in settlement raid, one of the mob just for some reason had a straight line patrol route on him. For some luck I did had a settlement tracker on him before he walk off the prem. When I was looking for him I saw him on my tracker and he was like 3.5km away from the settlement and still walking straight line. Had to chase him down on foot. Only once I found this behaviour.

I do in past see missions with 1 missing person from settlement mission but never found evidence.

I hope I wouldnt see this again.

This was fine for me before update 6, and I found out just now that this is also an issue for me now though.
Just in case you haven’t seen the solution: there is a new option in the controls settings in Drive Miscellaneous - Enable Context Menus - which defaults to Off for some reason. I popped it back on (and the same for the on-foot misc options) and the controller problem is solved 🙂

After expending its ammunition, the XG8 Javelin now only replenishes to 10 rounds upon docking with the mothership. The reloads are empty and does not refill. Resulting in a 10/0 reading for ammunition. This makes the SLF completely unusable as it manages only one attack run and then has to dock.

1080p people should simply not be using FSR by default. the previous finity fx cas method @ 0.85 supersampling was an acceptable compromise for 1080p players. but FSR even at ultra quality is not doing as good of a job as that.

obviously the real problem is not which bandaid is best. But if fdev is able to actually fix / optimize their engine in a way that doesn't have a bunch of players who shouldn't be using these things from feeling like they have to.
As a 1080p player - what he said.
What they said :)

• Illegal interactions (Hacking, taking stolen/illegal items, pressing illegal consoles) now require a press and hold for 1 second to avoid accidental criminal activity.

This is TERRIBLE! Wastes so much time and what is the purpose - to slow us down even more?? Been really trying to stay positive ... I mean with all the things that need fix'n adding more timers and nerfing Impact Sites somehow made the list? How about fix'n Fleet Carrier pad lighting - LOOKS ridiculous. Why do we need a timer when items are clearly MARKED ILLEGAL?

At least give us an option to toggle this on and off. Why was this even needed?

They question of WHY is repeated intentionally.

I am happy for the mission fixes. Thank you for that. MISSIONS NOT FIXED

In the video below, take a retrevial mission, Mission says travel system I am in, but target is planet in another system? Travel to that system, travel to planet, POI spawns, retrieve item, mission updates, board SRV and MISSION RESETS as not completed. Pick up illegal item and warning message RESETS MISSION. Don't trust me? Watch the video. STILL BROKE

Last edited:
^ Ooft, ok thanks for this. I'll do a sanity check myself on it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up! Anyone else experiencing this, please do let me know.

^ Hello! Can I be a pest please and ask for more info from you? Which mission was this? Sorry to be a pain.
Hi @sallymorganmoore, I may have missed the boat on this but I've been experiencing the same thing with the suit load out screen as well. Issues logged here: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41321 and https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41365

Last edited:
I had seen this during U5 in settlement raid, one of the mob just for some reason had a straight line patrol route on him. For some luck I did had a settlement tracker on him before he walk off the prem. When I was looking for him I saw him on my tracker and he was like 3.5km away from the settlement and still walking straight line. Had to chase him down on foot. Only once I found this behaviour.

I do in past see missions with 1 missing person from settlement mission but never found evidence.

I hope I wouldnt see this again.
I had something similar a couple of days ago - one scavenger showed up on the contacts but, by the time I got round to him, I couldn't locate him. Eventually he was no longer in the 1,000m range of the Contacts from the middle of the settlement, so I went back and got a SRV to find him. By that time he no longer even appeared on the SRV's sensors, so I drove around looking for him. Never did find him but eventually the count updated by itself, so he got himself killed somehow, I think.

Top Bottom