Elite Dangerous | Update 18.06 | Thargoid War overhaul |Tuesday 28 May 2024

I am not that familiar with TW mechanics, do the changes to the Spire sites mean that it's no longer a resource for our side to milk as needed (whichever damage you do to it is one-time and permanent, once the Thargs lose it, it's off the chessboard forever)?

Why nerf Orthrus payouts this late into the war? If they were overtuned, why didn't they get nerfed within the first week or two of spires going live?

Not gonna sugar coat it, FDEV are known to be quite slow when it comes to balance passes. This particular issue wasn't a game-breaking bug so it probably got the "whenever we find the time" priority level.

I am not that familiar with TW mechanics, do the changes to the Spire sites mean that it's no longer a resource for our side to milk as needed (whichever damage you do to it is one-time and permanent, once the Thargs lose it, it's off the chessboard forever)?
It looks that way, although it's possible that it comes back if they recapture it, and they would potentially be capable of doing more damage to other systems on the way out than they are currently.

It looks that way, although it's possible that it comes back if they recapture it, and they would potentially be capable of doing more damage to other systems on the way out than they are currently.
I can see it playing out favorably for the human side by putting emphasis into actually engaging with the controls themselves/not stockpiling samples for the final 15% with this change, while a spire itself is being assaulted.

Though I am also wondering if this means you can attack a spire in the Titan’s inner core and get it cleared, then recaptured some time later. Potentially beneficial for Cocijo and Indra, unless people are still planning on sticking to the great plan for it(even with a possible sample nerf coming, but if combat is sufficiently boosted to offset…).

Titan Vulnerability Changes
  • Titan vulnerability is now a two tier system:
    • At 3 controlled systems or below, the Titan will be vulnerable to attack
    • At 4 or above controlled systems, the Titan will take almost no damage from attacks
These changes will enable you to develop new stratagems in defeating the Thargoid threat, and be assured that every action is contributing to the war effort.
While I applaud all the other changes, what's the point behind this? Seems like an unnecessary dumbing-down to me, rather than allowing new stratagems. But I'm not that much into AX, so am I missing something here?

Who is an expert on this war, tell me if I'm right or wrong.
In my opinion, the main change that will happen is the transition to dynamics, ie no longer get together in a pile once a week, you need to constantly attack otherwise the next day may find that we completely lost.

FDevs, if you nerfed Orthrus payout we want anti-guardian field protection applied to pre-engineered guardian weapon as a compensation.
I want to use my 6 shards Conda to quickly pop Orthrus.

FDevs, if you nerfed Orthrus payout we want anti-guardian field protection applied to pre-engineered guardian weapon as a compensation.
This can be done with earth weapons and even 1st level guardian weapons.
But most importantly : the level 1 gauss guardian weapon is better than the designed one. The main problem the gauss had was hitting hearts.
And it's weird for me to write obvious things.

This can be done with earth weapons and even 1st level guardian weapons.
But most importantly : the level 1 gauss guardian weapon is better than the designed one. The main problem the gauss had was hitting hearts.
And it's weird for me to write obvious things.
I know it can be done with non-guardian AX weapon. But I want to use my pre-engineered guardian shards at Spire sites. Period.

While I applaud all the other changes, what's the point behind this? Seems like an unnecessary dumbing-down to me, rather than allowing new stratagems. But I'm not that much into AX, so am I missing something here?
In practice it won't make all that much difference - at the moment, a Titan with 3 or fewer Control systems dies by the weekend, and a Titan with 7 or more Control systems has so many defences it'd take months to beat through them even if it could be held at 7 for that long. It's more just formalising what was already largely true in practice.

"Kill the orthrus".
If they are as important as i think, nerfing their credit value makes sense.
-the value is in their chevron contribution, not the credits.
(just how i see it; i don't know to be clear =)

Not to argue pointlessly, but if I were the Pilot's Federation (in lore they are paying the bonds out), I would pay the most for the most effective thing in the war if my goal was to win the war. I still don't see how nerfing their payouts is going to benefit the war. I have a sneaking wonder that most people who did spires did so for the cash, and that they will see this nerf next week as the faucet getting cut off. So they will hammer away this weekend at the spires, and once the hammer drops they're just gonna take their money and run to the rest of the game that more often than not doesn't get nerfed once they find out they like it.

Yes, other dedicated AX pilots will swoop in and do spires (but they will have to stop doing other war efforts to do so), but how many people are going to just go "oh ok, well I will go do something else non-AX now because that isn't getting nerfed" because their activity got changed?

I know it can be done with non-guardian AX weapon. But I want to use my pre-engineered guardian shards at Spire sites. Period.
I try to learn and try out all the weapons in the game and most of all the AX weapons.
As soon as the possibility of modifying weapons of level 1 guards came out, and for me the collection of these materials was tedious (although I collected 33 sets) I immediately wrote to the forum to people very reasonable approach to these modifications.
Sorry I have nothing more to say.

I try to learn and try out all the weapons in the game and most of all the AX weapons.
As soon as the possibility of modifying weapons of level 1 guards came out, and for me the collection of these materials was tedious (although I collected 33 sets) I immediately wrote to the forum to people very reasonable approach to these modifications.
Sorry I have nothing more to say.
Yeah, I've collected those materials (12 sets) and modified two 2B gausses. Will check how it works.
I'm returning player after a year been away from ED. In the past I used pre-eng shards to kill Hydras at planet and station attacks.
Those shards are one blast kill against annoying scouts and cyclops as well.

the faucet getting cut off.
I'm not finding it pointless; quite the contrary. -i know about the faucets just like i remember the mining rush leading up to the release of FCs. (and others)
-that being said i do still believe the orthrus are an important element to the mechanics and nerfing credits mean they can do more work in the background.
(again, this is mostly based on them being spawned in such high numbers from both spires and downed titans, along with their presence in alert systems)

OT i find it a bit interesting the changes are coming after Hadad, not before. -halfway(4/8) changes makes sense too however.

Ordinary shard cannons with the anti anti Guardian field mod are  the way to quickly pop an Orthrus. You can mount 2 medium & 4 large on your Conda, you'll be doing more damage than you would with the modshards. You just need get closer, so swap some of those heat sinks for caustic sinks. I've personally made billions in a shardvette, it's ridiculous fun. BLAM BLAM BLAM

Those shards are one blast kill against annoying scouts and cyclops as well.
I agree. Gauss is no hard enough to hit scouts (less target), but they have the highest penetration rate, i.e. maximum damage to the interceptor hull. It's better than any plasma, much less a shard.
Orfs don't have hearts, so for gauss destruction they are perfect, just as long as your ship has enough power.

Top Bottom