Elite Dangerous | Update 18.06 | Thargoid War overhaul |Tuesday 28 May 2024

each war effort action within a spire system also has an effect on the 10 systems furthest away from the associated Titan - this is called "spread pushback".

[...] if any of the furthest 10 systems hit 100%, the titan will now start to affect the 11th system, then the 12th, and so on

Just to clarify, I guess the part I bolded should read "the spire will now start to affect" ?

This says Spires are going to have to be carefully managed to me, loose it and they're gone.
Whilst the Orthrus' fans might see them as credit mines, to a saboteur they're more a source of mats.
Admittedly my engineering has progressed so far since I started these it's not quite as strong a push as at the start so I'm essentially topping up the inventory again.
However the possibility that we could run out of spires quickly leaving significant numbers of control systems at a Titan might be something we'd have to plan for...🤔
Excuse me, what materials are we talking about?
What are these materials for?
The only time I've been to the Spire was to get tactical chips for the guards' weapons.
Is there something else I don't know about?

The only time I've been to the Spire was to get tactical chips for the guards' weapons.

The post talks about materials for Spire sabotage missions, I think. See here for example.

Or, people will just take the money they've made and will make, and let other people fight the war, because having a liked activity nerfed isn't fun and isn't a good way to drive player involvement.
Since the point of these changes appears to be to allow players to finish the entire war off more quickly, Spire sites are going to get a very hard nerf on earning rates in a few months anyway.

The more significant change probably isn't the reduction in Orthrus bonds - a third of a lot is still a fair bit of income - but this change:
Spire systems no longer regenerate on each weekly tick
which is going to make them very possible to over-farm and shut down. In that context, discouraging farming them for their credits rather than their war value is probably very intentional. (See also on the list of actions getting boosts, Orthrus in Alert systems and Spire Sabotage are on the list; Orthrus at Spires are not)

On the counter-side for player involvement, having a range of actions which people enjoy doing (i.e. not sampling) meaningfully contribute to the war should - if they got the balance right, of course - help a bit there.

In practice it won't make all that much difference - at the moment, a Titan with 3 or fewer Control systems dies by the weekend, and a Titan with 7 or more Control systems has so many defences it'd take months to beat through them even if it could be held at 7 for that long. It's more just formalising what was already largely true in practice.
My thought too. In theory I like the idea of a sliding scale and multiple levels of core protection but I guess (if I’m reading this right) that fd realised it was binary in practice (as you describe) and decided to just go with that.

Last edited:
In practice it won't make all that much difference - at the moment, a Titan with 3 or fewer Control systems dies by the weekend, and a Titan with 7 or more Control systems has so many defences it'd take months to beat through them even if it could be held at 7 for that long. It's more just formalising what was already largely true in practice.
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand you.
What does the weekend have to do with it?

Well that would have been good information to know, instead of me having to jump the required hoops for 6 modshards that cause my shardconda to instantly overheat with a single pull of the trigger. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
Those modshards are still going to be very useful for interceptor farming, once Orthrus payout is nerfed, I can see AX cz becoming the new (old) money printer. So they aren't a total waste.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand you.
What does the weekend have to do with it?

That's just how soon it will die. When a Titan becomes vulnerable after the server downtime on Thursday, it won't live much longer than another 2-4 days.

The reward for a sabotage mission is upto 9 G5 mats, Biotech Conductors/Exquisite Focus Crystals/ Modified Embedded Firmware.

That's just how soon it will die. When a Titan becomes vulnerable after the server downtime on Thursday, it won't live much longer than another 2-4 days.
Maybe I did not translate it correctly, but I will repeat, the main change for me in the patch is that it has moved to dynamics, ie if somehow someone gets on Tuesday 3 systems, on the same Tuesday in 1-2 hours systems can be already 8.
NPCs are not people, they play the game 24 hours a day.

It’s time for everyone to participate in any/every way to kill bugs, push them back or exterminate them and finally win this war!
And then what ???????? FDev have backed themselves into a corner with this 'war', having taken the second most valuable aspect of the original Elite lore and thrown it into the trash (Raxxla being the first) now they have to find some way of making the game viable again, no one will 'win' this war the best we can hope for is that they find a way to return Thargoids to their original status in the game as a known but rarely encountered threat to enable other aspects of this once great game to be concentrated on, at the moment the game is stale and needs a new focus.

This says Spires are going to have to be carefully managed to me, loose it and they're gone.
Yes and no, I think, unless a Thargoid recaptured spire(providing they can be encouraged that direction) no longer gets the “spread pushback” as it is now called - though I expect ‘periphery’ to stick as the player term - it could be reused to that end…

… however, it also depends on whether those spire clearances rely on them being part of that outer 10/counterstrike or not. If they do, there’s no “Beat up an inner sphere spire and let Thargoids retake it for future use” as a strategy.

Plus side, I guess, it reduces the “problem” of spire congestion in some way by allowing multiple to be used for successive clearing of the controls, rather than taking out 6 regular and 4 spire controls in a week. If you get what I mean.

Yes and no, I think, unless a Thargoid recaptured spire(providing they can be encouraged that direction) no longer gets the “spread pushback” as it is now called - though I expect ‘periphery’ to stick as the player term - it could be reused to that end…

… however, it also depends on whether those spire clearances rely on them being part of that outer 10/counterstrike or not. If they do, there’s no “Beat up an inner sphere spire and let Thargoids retake it for future use” as a strategy.

Plus side, I guess, it reduces the “problem” of spire congestion in some way by allowing multiple to be used for successive clearing of the controls, rather than taking out 6 regular and 4 spire controls in a week. If you get what I mean.
Of course that again relies on the RNG at the rescue ships dropping the right missions at convenient sites. Hopefully that's less determined than at Hadad.

Well that would have been good information to know, instead of me having to jump the required hoops for 6 modshards that cause my shardconda to instantly overheat with a single pull of the trigger. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

If Conflict zones efficacy will be appropriate after the update, keep that six-Shards Anaconda around! Use Weapon Focus on the distributor so the higher capacity level keeps it colder, no other Guardian modules, Low emissions power with E-rated life support if you have to, and remember that using a Heat sink also gives a little WEP power.

And then what ???????? FDev have backed themselves into a corner with this 'war', having taken the second most valuable aspect of the original Elite lore and thrown it into the trash (Raxxla being the first) now they have to find some way of making the game viable again, no one will 'win' this war the best we can hope for is that they find a way to return Thargoids to their original status in the game as a known but rarely encountered threat to enable other aspects of this once great game to be concentrated on, at the moment the game is stale and needs a new focus.
What game are we talking about? If we talk about the whole series, then War with the Thargoids is the basis of the whole series, everything else in the game is secondary.

nerfing the orthus was long due - ridiculous amount of credits for almost no effort
It was only easy because of highly organized groups like AXI, though. Try getting rich on spires alone in Open play - won't be a fun time at all.

It's interesting to see so many people rejoice that one of the few things in game that actually requires group coordination get nerfed, when the success of others in that content doesn't effect them at all. "It paid too much" let's say it did, that doesn't effect you or anyone else, because there isn't an auction house, or any way for people to use that cash to acquire anything better than stock ships, which are just 1 step above slag.

If pushing people away from the war is the goal, keep clapping, folks.

Top Bottom