Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

Delay a patch for ALL players to appease the, infinitesimally, small percentage of players who participate in a "storyline". There are, according to FDEV themselves, 500,000 monthly active players of Elite. There are 2,129 players participating in the current CG. That's 0.4258% of the player population. Genius-level, albeit disingenuous, logic.
To be fair, it's not like the other 99.5742% of players can't play the game in the meantime. It's really no big deal.

yEP :D

But it was fun arguing design points with people. I got my face slammed into a molten hot cheese feast pizza* by Michael Brookes for asking for a speed match feature (since I was hot from a Freespace 2 re-install)

*metaphorically 🙂 - I spelt his name right so was spared
But Michael Brookes is long gone and don't we know it.

What type of cheese?

But Michael Brookes is long gone and don't we know it.

What type of cheese?
mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, romano- the holy quad!

In reality FD probably got some form of phobia regards fast food since twice during early dev phases the forum bought them pizza. The second time I think Michael asked us to donate to charity or something since they had so much pizza :D Its also where the Dominos coriolis came from.

1631609027171.png

mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, romano- the holy quad!

In reality FD probably got some form of phobia regards fast food since twice during early dev phases the forum bought them pizza. The second time I think Michael asked us to donate to charity or something since they had so much pizza :D Its also where the Dominos coriolis came from.
Indeed, that was when the community was impressed with Frontier's coding efforts. Appropriate for Odyssey at launch, ..... couple of slices of garlic bread? ;)

We really don't know their DevOps practices to comment whether CI/CD would be efficient for the ED codebase.
We really don't know the state of ED codebase to say how complex the fix is.
We really don't know the QA processes to determine how straightforward a regression test is.

An awful lot of assumptions are being made by people with scant information on how Frontier operate and a little too much experience in their own environment.
That may be the case yet claiming CD/CI is inefficient is kinda stupid.

Especially since CD/CI is supposedly buissness standard in software projects of nearly any kind. Although weekly updates and fixes would not really be CD/CI, it kinda would be and wouldn't be.

IF user_abandoned_mission = TRUE THEN
BEGIN
AbandonMission();
AbandonCommunityGoal(); // remove this line
END

🤷‍♀️

More likely an issue with the user selecting one line in the list of missions, but the code is returning the ID for a completely different mission on a different line - if it's cancelling the CG then it's returning the ID for the mission on the first line.

Remember the bug where scrolling down the mission list would keep jumping to the left? Or the current bug where the cargo hold shows the 'Inventory Empty' string right over the cargo currently sitting in the hold? More a UI issue than back-end code, and I bet this is related.

(Like you, I've been a professional developer since 1992.)

will you do something with raw materials mining on planets in doyssey so we can stop switching each time to Horizon? currently it is impossible to get G4 and G5 raw materials, not to mention that volcanism is quite more dificult to find in order to collect mats.A
Actually, it's impossible to get G5 raw mats in Horizon, too: they do not exist (max is G4).

are you really postponing the entire update we've been waiting for a month, with "many fixes and improvement", because of ONE single bug?

that sound sus to me

Someone say pizza?

Anyway, at least we're one day closer to the update dropping now. Although without meaning any disparagement to the devs, it's not going to fix everything and I'm sure there's more updates happening to get the game where it should be. It's probably not worth getting wound up about as there will still be work to do afterwards.

I'm sure the next one will have it all sorted in a couple of weeks though and a couple of days after that Sally will be giving us the firm dates of the console release and merger of the Horizons and Odyssey universes. 😛

I have heard that before and it is simply not true. only Selenium line doesn't have G5. All others have g1 to G5.
They're right- it's g1-g4 for raw materials:
93142x1313.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, because they consider the bug important enough (possibly even critical) to not delay the fix by a month.
couldn't they just release the "massive" monthly update and next week deploy 7.1 with maybe more bugs detected over the week fixed alongside the community goal one?

why delay an update that we've been waiting for over a month for ONE bug? why is that bug so critical that it's prioritized over a huge list of fixes and improvements?

honestly doesn't make sense to me.

couldn't they just release the "massive" monthly update and next week deploy 7.1 with maybe more bugs detected over the week fixed alongside the community goal one?

why delay an update that we've been waiting for over a month for ONE bug? why is that bug so critical that it's prioritized over a huge list of fixes and improvements?

Because one week doesn't matter and they don't have to replicate effort deploying two patches?

The date of this week was an arbitrary date they happened to mention a week or so ago, not some sort of deadline which should inspire conspiracy theories and "sus" inferences.

Good grief.

Already answered earlier in the thread:
Bit of a pity as I was kind of looking forward to this week's patch... I guess a week's delay isn't the end of the world after 3 months of waiting for the one that makes some decent difference, but would it not have been possible to release U7 this week and hotfix the CG issue next week? Or too much effort? (genuine question)
It just makes things way more complicated and takes out extra time from a number of teams to release even a little patch (especially for passing through QA all over again. You never know what even an isolated fix to something might do...well...you know Elite, haha).

Top Bottom