Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

what is a nested moon?

A moon of a moon, so it will appear in a single star system as starX 5 A 1, where 5 is the planet number 5, A is the first moon and that planet and 1 is the first moon of that moon, on rare occasions you can have multiple nested moons. For example you can see here the 5 planet, a gas giant, has 6 moons and the 5th moon has it's own moon, that is a nested moon.

96zimaN.jpg

A moon of a moon, so it will appear in a single star system as starX 5 A 1, where 5 is the planet number 5, A is the first moon and that planet and 1 is the first moon of that moon
Not quite. It goes upper case letter for main stars (the ones in the first column - A, B, C) -> number for things orbiting those stars (or barycenters of those stars - A 1, B 1, AB 1) -> lower case letter for bodies orbiting those bodies ( A 1 a, A 1 b) -> lower case letter for bodies orbiting those bodies ( A 1 a a, A 1 b a) -> lower case letter for bodies orbiting those bodies (A 1 a a a, A 1 b a a) -> lower case letter for bodies orbiting those bodies...

Not quite. It goes upper case letter for main stars (the ones in the first column - A, B, C) -> number for things orbiting those stars (or barycenters of those stars - A 1, B 1, AB 1) -> lower case letter for bodies orbiting those bodies ( A 1 a, A 1 b) -> lower case letter for bodies orbiting those bodies ( A 1 a a, A 1 b a) -> lower case letter for bodies orbiting those bodies (A 1 a a a, A 1 b a a) -> lower case letter for bodies orbiting those bodies...

Yeah I always get confused about that, but basically moons of moons, binary pairs won't show as nested moons.

My bio insights still isn't working. I've done the uninstall / reinstall and the bio insights still doesn't work. Nothing ever shows up in it. The planet alerts seem to work just fine, it's just the bio insights that doesn't work at all.

My bio insights still isn't working. I've done the uninstall / reinstall and the bio insights still doesn't work. Nothing ever shows up in it. The planet alerts seem to work just fine, it's just the bio insights that doesn't work at all.

Curious, mine is working fine, although come to think of it I do recall an issue a while back where nothing showed, but that was in the bubble with pre-explored systems, even though I mapped the planets the bio didn't show, are you in the bubble at the moment? If you are can you do a quick run out to see if it works on non-pre-explored systems?

I have a new beta of BI you can try here.

Don’t forget to do a Read All after installing it. There’s one more thing you can try afterwards, but give that a shot first.

OK, so that has it displaying a biologic after I scanned the planet, but not on the planet I just scanned. Here's the results after scanning the planet:

works-now.jpg

And here's what I'm seeing in game:

4-biologics.jpg

So for some odd reason, it's displaying the two moons I already scanned and visited, but not the one I just scanned.

I think that's probably because I didn't DSS them with it because I already did that with the last install that wasn't working. I'll do that the next system and post again.

Nope. Still not working. Even if after DSS'ing the system I hit the read all again it doesn't have the information of the system I just DSS's, just the ones from the past.

It doesn’t show anything if you’re in a pre-discovered system that you didn’t have to FSS. If you just fly to a planet and use the DSS without using the FSS first your window remains blank.

Is that the situation?

It doesn’t show anything if you’re in a pre-discovered system that you didn’t have to FSS. If you just fly to a planet and use the DSS without using the FSS first your window remains blank.

Is that the situation?
No. I'm just over 6,000 LY out. Every system I enter is newly discovered.
Ok. In that case, uninstall ObsCore and then reinstall it - but not in Program Files, choose a user folder like Desktop and see if that fixes things.
I did as you said, hit the read all and it loaded everything up as usual and looked fine, but it still doesn't work. I get no alerts or anything when I DSS the system on exobiology. The estimator still works as it always has.

I'm going old school and using the system map to see which planets had the biologics and going to them. After I land and scan the biologics they will show up in the Botanist tab as being collected, but they still don't list in the Bioinsights at all.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am a Steam install.

It's just odd that everything else works as it always did. It's got to be something simple I'm overlooking.

Checked all the settings for BI in the OBS Core section?
Yes. I have it set the same way it always was. I use the voice alerts on everything. I've done the read all each install and it will display all the old information I already had, it's just that it's not getting any new information except for the estimator.

Yes. I have it set the same way it always was. I use the voice alerts on everything. I've done the read all each install and it will display all the old information I already had, it's just that it's not getting any new information except for the estimator.

That's really strange, just installed the beta that MattG provided the link to so we were running on the same versions to test, and all seems fine here, now I believe BI captures the data from the API as it's written to the journal, so reading from the journal using a read all isn't the same process as discovering new data and having it populate the BI screen....so I am wondering if it isn't getting there because it's being caught by some other process and not released. Hmm, I also noticed you don't have Codex Entries installed, I wonder if there's some sort of unexpected dependancy there, because Codex Entries would be parsing much the same data that BI would be looking at. I guess only MattG can answer that one, but how about testing and seeing if installing Codex Entries affects anything.

I never have and it always worked before.

Where did you reinstall ObsCore to ? Is it definitely somewhere user writeable ?

Go to BioInsights settings and tick Verbose Logging. Do a Read All. Once it completes, go back to BI settings and there's a button to Open Plugin Folder - hit that and look for BioInsights.log. Zip it up and send it to me.

And no, you don't need CodexEntries for BI to work.

Top Bottom