Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

That is a very broad and open question. What you find interesting and would like to look for isn't really a question I can answer for you. That said, this post has several xml snippets for custom criteria for things like moons with orbits inclined above rings to get better views, record setting bodies, and very thin ring systems. You might be interested in some of those, or might find inspiration there for something else you might like to search for.
I tried every one of those listed in that post. When i put them into the custom criteria they all came back with some sort of error :(

Hey guys,

first a big thanks to everyone involved.
Though I dunno what to appreciate more, the work on Elite Observatory itself, the cringe XML math, or the knowledge geo/bio signal scans are frame tied (yes, I did facepalm as I read that).

I stumbled actoss a minor issue with the custom "Undiscovered System" criteria. It triggers on a Nav Beacon scan in pre-discovered systems. No idea how to avoid that...

Look at me, the great explorer, I found Sol.
I've included Sirius, because I am sure that was my first NB scan in Sirius. I remember I did that because EDDiscovery showed Sirius empty (Sirius A/B unknown) except for Sirius A1/B1 that I had mapped before the scan.

View attachment 203234

@Vithigar:
I just had a feature idea: Could you please implement a tooltip (like with "Read on launch") for the standard interest criteria checkboxes showing the cutoff/requirements, to make it easier for new users to select criteria or use their own adjusted ones?
Landable & Terraformable is obvious. But how high has the g to be on a landable high g? How large ist a landable large?
That's...really weird. The criteria checks for primary stars that have "WasDiscovered" values of 0 (StellarMass x WasDiscovered=0 AND DistanceFromArrivalLS=0). I wonder if those systems were never "discovered" per se, and therefore that value is still 0 in the journal. I have been to Sol and Sirius, though I don't remember when, and they don't show up on my list. So that makes it a little weirder. I do, however, have Sinann and Taygeta (they being the closest non-forged systems to where Sol and Sirius would be) listed as undiscovered, both populated and listed on EDSM since 2014. So yeah, somehow it gets triggered on populated systems. I don't think I've seen it trigger on discovered systems in the black since I've learned that a blank scanner upon arrival in a system means it hasn't been discovered, though. To me, that's where it counts.

I found my journal data for Epsilon Eridani, where I apparently scanned the Nav Beacon:
{ "timestamp":"2019-08-18T19:31:17Z", "event":"Scan", "ScanType":"NavBeaconDetail", "BodyName":"Epsilon Eridani", "BodyID":0, "DistanceFromArrivalLS":0.000000, "StarType":"K", "Subclass":2, "StellarMass":0.750000, "Radius":570039104.000000, "AbsoluteMagnitude":6.241776, "Age_MY":11988, "SurfaceTemperature":4908.000000, "Luminosity":"V", "RotationPeriod":371628.343750, "AxialTilt":0.140543, "Rings":[ { "Name":"Epsilon Eridani A Belt", "RingClass":"eRingClass_MetalRich", "MassMT":1.1758e+14, "InnerRad":9.5588e+08, "OuterRad":2.1924e+09 } ], "WasDiscovered":false, "WasMapped":false }

There you have it. Somehow nav beacons don't think their systems have been discovered. Or maybe they never were "discovered" by a player, being populated at game launch. I'd be curious to know if a honk or a system that wasn't populated at launch yields the same result, but I don't know the last populated system I honked, or what systems fit the latter criteria, so I won't go digging for it.

Last edited:
That's...really weird. The criteria checks for primary stars that have "WasDiscovered" values of 0 (StellarMass x WasDiscovered=0 AND DistanceFromArrivalLS=0). I wonder if those systems were never "discovered" per se, and therefore that value is still 0 in the journal. I have been to Sol and Sirius, though I don't remember when, and they don't show up on my list. So that makes it a little weirder. I do, however, have Sinann and Taygeta (they being the closest non-forged systems to where Sol and Sirius would be) listed as undiscovered, both populated and listed on EDSM since 2014. So yeah, somehow it gets triggered on populated systems. I don't think I've seen it trigger on discovered systems in the black since I've learned that a blank scanner upon arrival in a system means it hasn't been discovered, though. To me, that's where it counts.

I found my journal data for Epsilon Eridani, where I apparently scanned the Nav Beacon:
{ "timestamp":"2019-08-18T19:31:17Z", "event":"Scan", "ScanType":"NavBeaconDetail", "BodyName":"Epsilon Eridani", "BodyID":0, "DistanceFromArrivalLS":0.000000, "StarType":"K", "Subclass":2, "StellarMass":0.750000, "Radius":570039104.000000, "AbsoluteMagnitude":6.241776, "Age_MY":11988, "SurfaceTemperature":4908.000000, "Luminosity":"V", "RotationPeriod":371628.343750, "AxialTilt":0.140543, "Rings":[ { "Name":"Epsilon Eridani A Belt", "RingClass":"eRingClass_MetalRich", "MassMT":1.1758e+14, "InnerRad":9.5588e+08, "OuterRad":2.1924e+09 } ], "WasDiscovered":false, "WasMapped":false }

There you have it. Somehow nav beacons don't think their systems have been discovered. Or maybe they never were "discovered" by a player, being populated at game launch. I'd be curious to know if a honk or a system that wasn't populated at launch yields the same result, but I don't know the last populated system I honked, or what systems fit the latter criteria, so I won't go digging for it.

Any chance you could help me with getting some of the criteria to work? Cant seem to get them to work ... always some kind of error

Sorry, they all work for me, just copied and pasted. I haven't updated to the latest release; I'm one version back. What's the error?

Sorry, they all work for me, just copied and pasted. I haven't updated to the latest release; I'm one version back. What's the error?
Depends on what one i put in but.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (offset ring orbit)
same as above for (undiscovered system)
There are multiple root elements. Line 11, position 4. (High value bodies)

There are some examples. of the errors.

They all work for me as well, using the lastest version.
Propably you haven't pasted them into the ObservatoryCriteria.xml correctly.
Read the syntax in the auto-generated example file provided. Top level must contain only a single <ObservatoryCriteria>, everything else (your individual checks, the <Criteria> elements) has to be contained withhin.
If you're unsure, use a programming editor that can properly display the syntax in XML files (e.g. Notepad++). Reading the files gets a lot easier then.

They all work for me as well, using the lastest version.
Propably you haven't pasted them into the ObservatoryCriteria.xml correctly.
Read the syntax in the auto-generated example file provided. Top level must contain only a single <ObservatoryCriteria>, everything else (your individual checks, the <Criteria> elements) has to be contained withhin.
If you're unsure, use a programming editor that can properly display the syntax in XML files (e.g. Notepad++). Reading the files gets a lot easier then.
I was just copy/pasting them into the edit field. Is that not how its done?

The edit button opens your ObservatoryCriteria.xml in the internal editor of Elite Observatory. It is enough to get things done, but it is easier with a proper editor.

Nevertheless, the first lines should start with "<!-- Auto-generated Observatory Criteria Sample File -->", and around 130 lines of explanation how it works.
<!-- This is a comment in your file and will be ignored when executing -->

After the explanation comes:
<!-- Example criteria below -->
<!-- Feel free to remove/modify as desired -->

This is where the actual stuff is, enclosed in the top level <ObservatoryCriteria>.
So it should be like
XML:
<!-- Explanation Part
    over multiple lines
-->

<!-- Example criteria below -->
<!-- Feel free to remove/modify as desired -->
<ObservatoryCriteria>
    <!-- Here you enter your custom criteria -->
</ObservatoryCriteria>

If it doesn't look like that, you can delete the ObservatoryCriteria.xml and have EO generate you a new one.

Thanks for covering those questions, @Baxder and @Maelstrom5K, I wasn't able to reply promptly. @JudeSaint, what they're saying is correct, those custom criteria all go inside one single containing <ObservatoryCriteria> element.

Also, I know I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point, but eventually this tangle of xml should be going away in favour of something much easier to use!

Hi, I am having trouble getting the observatory to run. Maybe I am missing something. Have dld the .exe and observatory.msi file, but both don't do anything. When I search for observatory it shows the .msi as already being installed. Shouldn't there be an installation routine before that?
Halp pls? :)

Hi, I am having trouble getting the observatory to run. Maybe I am missing something. Have dld the .exe and observatory.msi file, but both don't do anything. When I search for observatory it shows the .msi as already being installed. Shouldn't there be an installation routine before that?
Halp pls? :)
The exe should run standalone and requires no installation so should be the easiest to troubleshoot. Does it just do nothing at all, no error message of any kind displayed?

The .msi should also run through an installation process, as you expect, and ultimately create a start menu item to launch the application. Again, from what you say the installation itself doesn't run in the first place? Am I understanding correctly?

The exe should run standalone and requires no installation so should be the easiest to troubleshoot. Does it just do nothing at all, no error message of any kind displayed?
The .msi should also run through an installation process, as you expect, and ultimately create a start menu item to launch the application. Again, from what you say the installation itself doesn't run in the first place? Am I understanding correctly?
Both do nothing at all. I think I saw very briefly a task symbol when I tried to run the .exe as administrator, but nothing happens after that. Also no entry shows up in my task manager

Edit: maybe my AV-software being silly?

Last edited:
Both do nothing at all. I think I saw very briefly a task symbol when I tried to run the .exe as administrator, but nothing happens after that. Also no entry shows up in my task manager

Edit: maybe my AV-software being silly?
AV software is a possibility for sure. I know observatory has caused a false positive with at least one piece of AV software, though I'd still expect some kind of message in that case. You can certainly try adding an exception for it to check.

If that doesn't help, what version of Windows are you running? Are you able to check the application logs in event viewer to see if the startup failure generated any kind of message there?

AV software is a possibility for sure. I know observatory has caused a false positive with at least one piece of AV software, though I'd still expect some kind of message in that case. You can certainly try adding an exception for it to check.
If that doesn't help, what version of Windows are you running? Are you able to check the application logs in event viewer to see if the startup failure generated any kind of message there?
I tried with my AV turned off, to no avail. It generated no message in either case.
I am running Windows 10 64bit Version 20H2.
Checked those logs and can see no entry refering to this issue. Might be possible I looked in the wrong place, but don't think so. I am looking at Event Viewer>Windows Protocols>Applications (in german, but roughly translates to that)

Yes, that sounds correct.

I don't know where you're trying to run it from, but can you try somewhere with a shorter/simpler path? Something like C:\Temp\ instead of C:\Users\{username}\Downloads\ or whatever? That's even assuming you're not already doing so.

It currently sits in Local\Documents but I also tried several other places.
What I noticed is, that if I try to run them directly nothing happens at all, but when running the search query for "obs" and trying to run them that way, the little task icon shows up very briefly on the task bar and disappears again.

You mean into the event logs? No, just tried again.
Don't worry too much about it, I can live without the app. Would just be nice to have. :)

Top Bottom