Empyrion: Galactic Survival - First Impressions

Well... between real-life distractions and the ongoing drama over at Elite: Dangerous, I haven't played very much EGS lately. When I did, though, I decided to give Alpha 12 a whirl... since I've reading about so many awesome improvements to the game, and the developers say its close to release. (edit: Alpha 12, that is. Not the game. ;) )

I've been playing Alpha 12 on Hard, and like most survival games, I'm doing it Iron Man: once I'm dead, I'm dead. Needless to say, this approach highlights the survival aspects of the game. Been killed three times so far: once to predators, twice to the environment.

The first environmental kill was me trying the desert planet a try... without an understanding of how the game's survival mechanics had changed. Between the high temperature, the need for oxygen, and a lack of trees to produce fuel to get oxygen, I managed to get into a feedback loop that caused me to starve to death: high body temperature caused my stamina to deplete -> stamina recovery caused nutrition to deplete faster -> starved to death. Only I didn't make the connection between stamina recovery and nutrition depletion at that time.

The second environmental kill was on the temperate planet, which was caused by a series of mistakes on my part. There is a lot more temperature variation in Alpha 12 than there was in Alpha 11, and seems to be based on lattitude, biome, and time of day. If you're not paying attention to what you're doing, you can easily find yourself in a situation where your body temperature is dropping rapidly, thus leading to the feedback loop described above. And I left my camp without a portable heater/cooler unit, or a supply of food. Which is how I made the connection between stamina recovery and nutrient depletion. ;)

The time I got killed by predators was also mostly mistakes on my part: it was night, I'd wandered away from my camp to do a little planet-gazing instead of sleeping, and that's when I heard something ominous nearby. That's when I remembered: they mostly come out at night. Mostly. I'd also put off building a shotgun and ammunition, figuring I wouldn't need it right away. And to add injury to insult, I'd gotten too cold to run for long...

At any rate, after many failures, I think I've got a strategy to let me live long enough to do something constructive. ;)

First and foremost, is that the "Robinson Protocols" (aka the "tutorial") no longer provide me with any kind of mostly-completed base at the start. Instead they provide some additional survival equipment, seedlings I can plant after I've got a base up and running, a core to start a base, and a "damaged hoverbike." They also provide XP, and on Hard difficulty the advancement rate is much slower, so they're still definitely worth completing.

Second: Shotgun, ammunition, and light armor are a must. Shotgun for self defense and hunting. Light armor for protection and temperature regulation. These should be my top priority. It's a much more dangerous world out there.

Third: Fix the hoverbike ASAP. I can put a fridge on it, in order to preserve my food supply, as well as add storage boxes to carry stuff.

Fourth: Get many portable constructors and water/O2 generators up and running. I'll want half of them to turning biomass into fuel for the hoverbike and water generators, and the other half processing raw materials into a processed form for easier transport. Don't forget I'll need 18 nutrient solution canisters to plant the seedlings I'd found.

Fifth: The escape pod drops me near a good concentration of raw materials to mine, and wrecks to loot. Don't leave the area until I've gotten it all. With luck, I'll find a charged multi-tool or two. Even when their charge is depleted, I can still use their rotating function.

Last: Move north to establish my first base. I want a location that's close to the water, near a swamp for pharmaceuticals and hunting, and forests for wood. Far enough north that the nights are short, but not so far north, that regulating temperature is a problem. Preferably, it should also be relatively free of hostile life forms. Ideally, there should be prey animals nearby.

Last edited:
Once more into the wilderness my friends! The sixth time is the charm!

Just when I thought EGS's procedural generation algorithm only generated very short names, I find myself plummeting towards this tongue twister of a planet!

Soon enough, the Robinson Protocol directed me towards a nearby piece of large wreckage, from which I could scavenge. Naturally, I foraged for food and supplies along the way. As I gathered plant protein to stave off starvation for a little while, a nearby alien life form came for a closer look.

As I got closer to the wreck, I stumbled upon the remains of a hoverbike that looked like it could be repaired with a little effort. As I approached it, I noticed a definite chill in the air. So I backed off a bit, set up a camp nearby, and warmed up near the portable heater.

I've since noticed that the large wreck site is considerably colder than other biomes. Probably to discourage you from sticking around too long.

Something about this wreckage is sapping all the heat from area. Nether the less, I pressed on. There might be supplies I can use!

Turned out to be ordinary dirt, which cleared out after I used my survival tool.

It's a good thing I can use all this stuff. Except the pistol. It's garbage.

After warming up, cutting down some nearby trees, warming up again, putting the materials I'd gathered into portable constructors to turn into biofuel, a shotgun and ammunition, and parts for the hoverbike, the first night on this planet was approaching. Naturally, my gaze wandered upward.

Never did get around to finishing this experiment in my second game. Lucky for me, I'm in an ideal location to conduct it. ;)

The next morning, I installed the new equipment on the hoverbike. Besides the generator and fuel tank to get it operational, I also installed a fridge, scanner, and some extra storage.

Now that I could guarantee that the food I'd gather wouldn't spoil, it was time to do some hunting and gathering. I had resources to dig up, plants to sample, and animals to hunt. I dug up the iron deposit, gathered the plant life nearby, and deposited the iron ore into a portable constructor for refining. I was about half way through the silicon deposit when night approached. I beat a hasty retreat back to camp.

The next day I finished the silicon, and dug up the copper, which I started refining as well. I also set a constructor to produce nutrient solution.

It doesn't seem to setting any earlier or later...

The fourth day since the accident, I started scavenging in the nearby wrecks. At least the ones that weren't dangerously near a spider's nest. Most of the time, I needed to excavate the wrecks to find out if there were any storage containers there. Out of the three wrecks I excavated, I only found one with storage.

Flux Coils are always welcome!

Definitely doesn't seem to be setting any earlier or later...

It's at this point I decided to take my first picture of the system I'm in. I'm still curious to see if the planets actually orbit their star or not.

I excavate the remaining wrecks. Didn't find a lot of good stuff, but I needed something to do while I waited for my constructors to finish their work.

As night approached, I packed the Hoverbike for tomorrow's journey. It has a whopping five storage containers, and a fridge. Despite that, I couldn't pack everything I wanted. Not only wasn't there enough room, but I didn't want to weigh it down too much.

I'll be back, eventually. I ended up leaving a lot of processed materials here. I want to conduct one more test, to confirm that moons don't orbit their planets. :(

Above is one of four storage boxes that are packed identically, in order to balance out the hoverbike. I don't want it listing to one side as I drive it!

As soon as morning came, I set out to the north. Turns out I got the weight just about right. It was riding low enough for rocks to be a problem, but it was still fairly maneuverable and quick. I kept my eye out for spices and mushrooms, two things I hadn't found near the crash site. It was mostly uneventful.

I'll have to go back when I'm better equipped for a closer look at the minerals that Zirax drone is guarding. Id' like some promethium for multi-tools and a mining tool.

Radioactive badlands. It's a good place to find small amounts of promethium and pentaxid, especially if whatever the Zirax are protecting.

Soon after that, I found what appeared to be the perfect spot. A nice clearing in the woods, very close to water with a mountain in the distance, with swampy lands nearby.

No sooner had I stopped the hoverbike, than a pack of spiders scurried out of the underbrush, one jumping onto the front of the bike itself. Needless to say I screamed a bit, and there was much running around and random shooting. Eventually, I got them all.

The pictures above were taken after the spiders were dispatched, needless to say. ;)

It may not have been the best decision in my life, but this area was too nice to go unclaimed by me. I'd found my first home. First things first, I had to set up camp. Once the camp had set up, I cut down some trees for future fuel, and finally set up the portable water refiner. Since there was still light, I went scouting into the swamp, looking for pharmaceuticals. I actually found one of the harder to find ones to find growing just outside the clearing.

Fire moss. The stuff's always hiding in the long grass. Thankfully, I now know how to find it again quickly, once found.

Finally, the sun started to set.

Unable to resist a new tradition, I bade the moon good night.

I take back my taking back of the fake day/night cycle. ;) I know it's partially the scale the game operates at, but the phase of the moon shouldn't change that much. I'll give the developers credit, though. It may be fake, but it's a convincing fake. It took a lot of testing to break the illusion, unlike other games I could mention... :) (y)

Soon the next morning, I finally reached level five. This means I could finally build a vital piece of equipment.

I started one of my constructors building that, plus the an armor locker for the Hoverbike so I could change into it. The other, I set to building my future base's components. I had just started lay down the first few parts of the base, when something came scurrying out of the tall grass. Thankfully, I had cleared out quite a bit of the tall grass, so I wasn't completely surprised.

Needless to say, I cleared away even more of the tall grass. Once that was done, I could install the armor locker, and put on my new armor!!!

It'll protect down to 5 degrees Celsius, up to 45 degrees Celsius, and also protect against minor radiation hazards. The fact that it also protects against minor owies is a bonus IMO.

The base assembly continued. Unlike other times I've build bases, I decided to install the "backup" generator first, and use that to construct the larger solar arrays.

Time to see if there's any large scale movement in the system.

Nope!

Base construction proceeds at pace, hampered only by my tendency to redo aspects of it as the mood moves me.

Of course, the project didn't go completely smooth. The local wildlife were a bit more aggressive than I'd like.

It was at this point that I began to really miss my multi-tool. Salvaging with the survival tool means that I don't get much resources back, and while I do have a nice initial cache of resources, waste not, want not. ;) So I made an extremely risky trip into the radioactive badlands in search of promethium. Unfortunately, in the process, I'd wandered too close to the Zirax drone...

But not in a good way... ;)

After retreating a bit to treat my various wounds, I returned to the Badlands to see what that drone was guarding.

The next two days, I spent working on my base, starting with the greenhouse. I wanted to get food production up and running, so I wasn't living hand to mouth all the time. I also remembered what would happen if a radioactive fog set in. I'd taken quite a bit of radiation, and I currently had no way of removing it. I needed shelter for both my food supply and my self. It may not look like much at the moment, but it's functional. Making it look nice can come later.

The next day, I decided to return to my original camp, to bring back the other half of my stash. Did some hunting and gathering along the way. Since I was in the area, I also indulged in a little nostalgia...

Still setting at the same time!

Not pictured: Me deciding to save fuel by turning off the hoverbike. With a fridge full of perishable food! Thankfully, only some of it spoiled

I returned my with hoverbike once again laden with raw materials. After that, I spent a little time improving the look of my base. I still need to spend some time painting the structure, but I'm satisfied with the overall design. The area is a little too scenic to go with a bunker. It'll be a nightmare to repair after an Zirax attack, though. :(

Now that my base was at least viable, it was time to start exploring the planet in earnest. I had a "Crash Site Station" to find... and I just realized I'd already found I was looking for. Spent two days scouting out the surrounding lands, and even hurried back to my original camp by the crash site, and didn't put two and two together. 🤦‍♀️

At any rate, while doing my scouting, I'd found something that'll probably be very useful in the near future.

I was going to make a core to restore this ship to full function, but maybe I'll let the mission run its course. At the very least, I need more experience. ;)

With the Fleet Carrier update finally going live, some of the time I was devoting to EGS is now back to Elite: Dangerous. I wanted to scout out Tritium hot spots in deep space, so I was content to park somewhere and wait until the FC update went live. So it's been a couple days. Plus, I kept forgetting to upload my screen shots, so I couldn't write it them up at work like I usually do.

At any rate, the day after my little epiphany dawned with mostly clear skies. I took a brief moment to make a minor update the eastern wall, before moving on to decorate the outside of my base. The plain concrete was annoying my inner interior decorator. ;)

That door goes well with the glass wall, but I discover the hard way that it's not airtight.

Once that was done, I also added a weapon to the Hoverbike. I had a feeling I might need it later. I also removed the two forward storage containers, to better balance it. When tried to find a place to put the ammo bin, I discovered an artificial mass block! No wonder the bike was so back heavy.

Thus ready for action, I returned to the crash site, and what do you know? It was there all along. What is it about my brain that compels me to take harder, but more interesting, route? :rolleyes:

Naturally, from there the clues led me to the UCH Dart Mk I I'd found previously... or more accurate the wrecked ship that was nearby. While following directions, I found a couple of containers I'd missed when I first found the wreck. I also found some furniture I wanted to salvage, as well as a large constructor. I'd need to return with a core if I wanted to salvage them intact. Plus, the large constructor was too big to fit into one of the Hoverbike's storage containers, so I spent some of my precious tech tree points on a cargo controller and modular storage containers.

It was time to return to base, harvest my crops, and build the parts I needed to begin my salvage work. I debated whether to stop at the crash site again to continue following the clues I'd found at the wreck, but a change in the weather made up my mind for me. A radioactive storm front had rolled in. I needed to get back to base ASAP.

That's when I discovered, to my horror, that the glass door I'd installed wasn't air tight. Radiation was leaking into the room! Thankfully, it didn't spread into the green house, but I correct that particular flaw immediately. The metal door isn't nearly as scenic, but form must follow function. Since I was trapped in the building for the duration of the storm, I also improved the base's defenses a bit, and used the drone to make some tweaks to the Hoverbike's design. I also brew up some anti-rad cream, so I could get rid of the dose I'd taken... and have a supply on me for the future.

I was a bit distracted by the radioactive storm, so I forgot to take a screen shot at the time. This was much later. 🤦‍♀️

The nice thing about modular storage containers, is that there are a few decorative options to choose from. There was just enough storage on board to bring the large constructor I'd found back to base.

Once the storm, which lasted a surprising long time, was over, I returned to the wreck, stopping along the way to follow up on the clues I'd found there.

Naturally, the Zirax had found the place, and set a trap. The last thing I want to do is antagonize the Zirax needlessly. When the Zirax base raids start, it sets off a feedback loop that won't end until you're hostile with them. The key to survival is not to get your xenophobic, overly aggressive neighbors mad at you... at least until you're in a position to fight back.

At any rate, I take advantage of the nearby camp, and the next morning I set out to the other wreckage to do some salvage work. First things first, I pop a core into the wrecked Dart, to see what I had to work with:

Not having a generator and fuel tank I expected, and if I'd been thinking ahead, I would've brought them with me. Having only five thrusters, though? Not good. I'd need to make at least three more to make it in any way maneuverable. I would also have to unlock the Tier 1 thrusters to do so.

I had just about finished salvaging the good stuff from the wreck, when disaster struck:

I had a split second to decide what I wanted to bring with me, as I raced back to my distant base to seek shelter. I could bring the cache of supplies I'd gotten from the unseen storage containers at the wreck, from the "Crash Station," and the furniture I'd salvaged... or I could bring the Large Constructor.

I chose the former. Furniture meant I could build a shower to decontaminate after an exposure to radiation. Furniture meant I could sleep through the night, rather than risk sleeping in a tent outside my base (which is not a good idea during a radioactive storm. This turned out to be a good idea, because the large constructor weighed a lot, and the last thing I needed was a sluggish Hoverbike when every second counted.

And every second did count. The rads were building up quickly, rising towards the threshold when complications would start to arise. Eventually, I made it back to base, and rushed in side. By then, it was too late:

Thankfully, I'd prepared some anti-radiation medication ahead of time. Also thankfully, I hadn't taken much damage, because in my rush to treat the radiation burn, I'd forgotten one important detail: the treatment is almost as bad as the disease. If I'd been low on health, I would've died. I wasn't, so I bandaged up the effects of the treatment, filled my empty stomach, harvested my crops, and installed my new furniture.

Since there was still a little daylight left, I decided to prepare a couple "emergency ration packs." They're not exactly the most efficient way of keeping the body fed, resource wise, but they do have one overwhelming advantage: they don't require refrigeration at all. Until I can secure a good supply of promethium ore, I don't want to waste fuel on running refrigerators when away from base. Unfortunately, you need fruit juice to complete them, and I hadn't found any fruit yet.

Fortunately for me, information from the crashed ship included instructions on where to find some hopefully friendly natives. It was time to contact the Talon.

To make a long story short, I did them some favors, and left with permission to mine on their lands, should I find any resources there, contact information for the Polaris Mega-corporation, and far more importantly, a single fruit bearing sprout. I returned to base to get that plant growing right away.

That contact, however, was on the far side of the planet! It was finally time to get that Dart up and running. Operating the Hoverbike has been allowing me to find obtain quite the supply of fire moss, hugging the ground as I circumscribed the various bodies of water between me and anywhere interesting, but the need to do so was starting to get old. It was definitely time to take to the air.

I loaded up the parts I'd need to get the Dart airborn. It turned out that I needed that large constructor to make new thrusters, but I figured I could at least get it airborn with five: two to provide lift, two to move the ship forward, and one to allow it to stop. I also included sufficient cargo capacity to airlift the said large constructor back to base, and of course arm it, just in case.

I was half way to the Dart when I realized that I was going to want the hoverbike back. So I turned around, returned to base, got the motorcycle out of storage, and got everything I needed, and could carry, to make the Dart airworthy.

There's a reason why I consider that motorcycle to be emergency transportation only. The only thing worse than riding that motorcycle is traveling on foot!

At any rate, after a long and grueling ride to the Dart's location, I started the work on getting it (barely) airworthy:
  • moved the existing thrusters to where they'd be most useful
  • installed the fuel tank and generator
  • installed the modular cargo bay
Once the work was complete, I loaded up the large constructor, and then flew back to base. Slowly. Very slowly.

Back at base, I installed the Large Constructor, had it start building the parts I needed, and set about restoring the Dart its full glory. Besides bringing it up to snuff, thruster wise, I also repaired the hull, installed other components like a scanner and remote storage access system, plus a few other tweaks. I also applied a new coat of paint. ;)

Finally, I'd like to discuss the topic of fire moss. This rare plant can only be found in swamps, where it lies close to the ground, and therefore hidden by the tall grass and reeds there. It cannot be cultivated, and is the primary component of many useful advanced pharmaceuticals. While I can synthesize it if I need to, doing so requires pentaxid... which is also something that is difficult to find in large quantities, and required for hyperdrive and shield operations.

It is also frustratingly fragile. My initial attempts to clear out its environment of tall grass would kill off the patch off completely. That's when I hit upon an idea to use portable lights to mark their location. It turns out that placing them too close to the fire moss also kills them off. There were originally five patches of fire moss near my base. This is the only one that survived this method.

Amusingly, I didn't notice that alien creature by the tree right away. I did notice when it tried to eat my face a few seconds later. :D

I don't know if this is by accident or design, but I like it. This is the kind of thing I play games for: being presented problems which not only need to be solved, but have more than one solution, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Either way, I'm going to see if I can increase their survival rate. I've gotten into the habit of marking the location of any clusters of fire moss I find. There's one that's far from the proverbial beaten path that I can afford to lose, if it turns out that that one patches' survival was a fluke.

EGS is on sale for $7.99 USD on Steam! I think I'll grab it, though it may be awhile before I can commit to playing it (I'm too invested in SE right now).

Having restored the Dart to its former glory, it was finally time to investigate that offer From Polaris Corp. Along the way, I overflew a Talon village, with a Promethium deposit nearby. Eventually, though, I arrived at the Polaris trading post.

I think they improved their AI’s path finding a bit. They weren’t climbing over furniture nearly as often as I remember from Alpha 11. That isn’t to say that everything was perfect.

These two weren’t completely still, though. They just spent more time in this pose than most. ;)

Once I’d talked to the manager, I launched the Dart towards space.

I love the idea that every single star and nebula out here is visitable.

It’s at this point I realized a flaw in my plan: my light armor isn't rated for space! Sadly, in my efforts to survive the vacuum and radiation of space the long enough to get into the distillery, I didn’t think to take any screen shots! :( But eventually I succeeded. I think my efforts managed to bypass a dialog trigger, though. Regardless, it was pretty obvious what the next step would be: assault a pirate base! Needless to say, I’ll need to get better equipped to do so. So I headed back to base, to do some scavenging and scouting of wrecks on the surface.

I wonder what the Inferno Club is...

Wow... it's been a month since I actually had an update I felt was worth of posting? 😬

In a nut shell... between sessions of ED and Surviving Mars, I spent a lot of time:
  • scouting the surface of my planet looking for wrecks to salvage, in the hopes of improving my light armor for the base assault
  • redesigning much of my base, because the initial design didn't take the inevitable expansions into account, in particular adding a hanger to the base
In the end, I finally settled on a layout that was both functional, as well as aesthetically pleasing. Not pictured: the basement I had to build in order to get everything in place.

Pay no attention to those slightly discolored sections of the roof. There's no weapon turrets hidden under there, honest! :D

After searching through the last of the wrecks I could find, I came to the unpleasant conclusion that I would have to be a little more... adventurous. There were several POIs on the planet quite frankly creep me out when I try to explore them, but I needed better armor. So I chose the first one that didn't shoot at my ship when I approached it.

Creeping carefully through abandoned facility, killing humanoid abominations, giant insects, and killer robots, I stumbled upon a large cache of armor and armor mods. I grabbed it all, promptly beat a hasty retreat back to base, where I suited up. Finally, I would be able to complete this mission!!!

It turned out that I didn't need to do all this, because the pirates were more than willing to negotiate! :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♀️ It took a trip between to my base, the planet side trading post, and back to the pirate outpost, but I finally got what they had stolen from that distillery. There was just one problem: when I returned, a horde of Zirax staged a raid on the distillery! It didn't take long before I got killed. ⚰

Next on my agenda, a little project I've been planning: "Space Engineers vs Empyrion Galactic Survival: The Sidewinder Edition."

It's going to be interesting... especially since SE managed to kill me during my first session.

I've been playing with Satisfactory lately. It lacks the attacking enemies, but the world is populated with enemies as well - usually guarding valuable locations. The world is hand-crafted and most of the charm comes from exploration for me. No vehicle designing. You build an ever increasingly complex factory (kinda like Factorio, but 1st person) and it looks amazing. I do mostly noodle salads with the belts. Yesterday I started new map - played for hours. Then when I went to bed I was thinking: "Why didn't I try this factory layout?" and I'm considering starting over again. It's often like this and I probably won't ever see the late phases of games. I mean I would like to unlock trains and cruise the landscape in them. Or radiate the environment with nuclear waste. But it's often the early gameplay that keeps me busy.

Then when I went to bed I was thinking: "Why didn't I try this factory layout?" and I'm considering starting over again. It's often like this and I probably won't ever see the late phases of games. I mean I would like to unlock trains and cruise the landscape in them. Or radiate the environment with nuclear waste. But it's often the early gameplay that keeps me busy.
I know the feeling well. Satisfactory is on my wish list, primarily because I enjoy space management games. One of the biggest letdowns in EGS is that their logistics in a base or ship is so abstract. There’s something satisfying trying to figure out how to get stuff from point A to B. Space Engineers has it, but their conduits are too large for my tastes. Which is why I’m focusing on “Medium” sized ships: larger ships built from small ship blocks.

Star Base looks like it would be better than either EGS or SE on that front, but it’s purely an MMO. IN my experience, building/survival games and MMOs are two genres that, while I enjoy them separately, are not something I enjoy together. PvPers are bad enough, but they pale in comparison to a builder who wants to build a monument to their own ego. :D

The best experience I’ve ever had for this kind of thing was a Minecraft mod called “Red Power.” You could run run pipes, power, and communication lines in the same one meter cube, and still hide them behind a facade. The author of the mod decided to try to build their own game, and was ever from again.

I know the feeling well. Satisfactory is on my wish list, primarily because I enjoy space management games. One of the biggest letdowns in EGS is that their logistics in a base or ship is so abstract. There’s something satisfying trying to figure out how to get stuff from point A to B. Space Engineers has it, but their conduits are too large for my tastes. Which is why I’m focusing on “Medium” sized ships: larger ships built from small ship blocks.

Star Base looks like it would be better than either EGS or SE on that front, but it’s purely an MMO. IN my experience, building/survival games and MMOs are two genres that, while I enjoy them separately, are not something I enjoy together. PvPers are bad enough, but they pale in comparison to a builder who wants to build a monument to their own ego. :D

The best experience I’ve ever had for this kind of thing was a Minecraft mod called “Red Power.” You could run run pipes, power, and communication lines in the same one meter cube, and still hide them behind a facade. The author of the mod decided to try to build their own game, and was ever from again.
I remember playing Factorio and being proud of a decently sized production line. Then I watched KoS play and itdwarfed my design by several magnitudes.
Satisfactory makes it look even more massive because of the perspective. I always end up with not enough space - but my build idea might adress this.

Surviving Mars, too? I finished a year old save last week. In the end it went faster than expected - 100% terraform. I feel the highlights are the story bits for playthroughs.

My only problem with Empyrion is the ship physics, they're lacking in my opinion. Look beyond that and the game, especially after the current update, is very good as a survival game. But I feel it fairs less so as a space game.
However with the introduction of the galaxy, it would point towards them perhaps putting a little more into the ship physics side and space travel. I certainly hope so.

My only problem with Empyrion is the ship physics, they're lacking in my opinion. Look beyond that and the game, especially after the current update, is very good as a survival game. But I feel it fairs less so as a space game.
However with the introduction of the galaxy, it would point towards them perhaps putting a little more into the ship physics side and space travel. I certainly hope so.
Personally, I think the ship physics in EGS is one of the better ones out there. It’s comparable to Kerbal Space Program, where your ships center of mass, lifting surfaces, and thruster placement can have radical effects on your ships’ performance. Space Engineers doesn’t have that level of detail, but it makes up for it in more realistic engine outputs.

From what I can tell from the video, as well as the verbose description you provided, it looks like one of the pre-Alpha 11 “flying bricks.” Alpha 11, which is coincidentally when I bought the game, drastically changed the flight model.

I played a lot of KSP, so I tended to build my ships with weight distribution in mind as a matter of course, so it was very noticeable the first time I lost a maneuvering thruster... especially since I still don’t bother with the RCS module. Let’s not even go into the time I didn’t account for the difference between density between two cargo containers.

If you really want to see the post-Alpha 11 flight model in action, try building a ship that relies on wings and forward thrust only. EGS thrusters are rather powerful, and powerful thrusters conceal a multitude of sins. :)

From what I can tell from the video, as well as the verbose description you provided, it looks like one of the pre-Alpha 11 “flying bricks.” Alpha 11, which is coincidentally when I bought the game, drastically changed the flight model.

I played a lot of KSP, so I tended to build my ships with weight distribution in mind as a matter of course, so it was very noticeable the first time I lost a maneuvering thruster... especially since I still don’t bother with the RCS module. Let’s not even go into the time I didn’t account for the difference between density between two cargo containers.

If you really want to see the post-Alpha 11 flight model in action, try building a ship that relies on wings and forward thrust only. EGS thrusters are rather powerful, and powerful thrusters conceal a multitude of sins. :)
Is there a ship you can point me to in workshop to try out ?

I did go back in and spawn a few ships in, most handled like a car, stopped on a dime, no feeling of weight whatsoever. But, I found one that handles a little better in space, can't remember which but it's a nice ship.
So yeah, I'll give it a go building, I tend to stick to S/Enginners mostly, but if I can get/build a ship that handles like a space ship in Empyrion, then I'll play more of it, what with the galaxy now.

Is there a ship you can point me to in workshop to try out ?

I did go back in and spawn a few ships in, most handled like a car, stopped on a dime, no feeling of weight whatsoever. But, I found one that handles a little better in space, can't remember which but it's a nice ship.
So yeah, I'll give it a go building, I tend to stick to S/Enginners mostly, but if I can get/build a ship that handles like a space ship in Empyrion, then I'll play more of it, what with the galaxy now.
Sorry. I'm far more interested in designing and flying my own ships, as opposed to playing around with someone else's. Since I play survival, and I try to conserve both materials and energy as much as possible, my ships tend to lean towards "can barely take off fully loaded," as opposed to the "unlimited power" end of the spectrum that players in creative tend to favor. ;)

Sorry. I'm far more interested in designing and flying my own ships, as opposed to playing around with someone else's. Since I play survival, and I try to conserve both materials and energy as much as possible, my ships tend to lean towards "can barely take off fully loaded," as opposed to the "unlimited power" end of the spectrum that players in creative tend to favor. ;)
Maybe a video of one of yours, showing the handling, give me an idea of how you imagine your ships weight.

The ship I'm using at present in S/engineers is one a mate gave me some time back, I've adapted it a little, well quite a lot to be fair. It handles as best as I've seen in S/engineers (did when I got it). Does as I would expect a ship of the size to react, turn, stop, accelerate and so on.

I went in and tinkered a little with building in Empyrion after a long time. The thrusters are still well and trully too powerful, plus it doesn't seem to matter how many you have or what configuration, on planets you dip your nose and tap thrust and the ship stays put, so no real atmostheric flying as such.
Also the building is great for choice of blocks, they have nailed that, better than early on and S/engineers. But I still find it terribly unintuitive.

Not being able to walk around the ship to maintain, repair and refine and so on, as you travel, isn't good for the way I play. I'd hope they may sort that at some stage.
The transitions (planet/space) aren't bad now, seem better than last year, but they are still pretty jarring, not seamless as in S/engineers. Damage model is still not great for blocks either.
But that latest update does make it much better and the new galaxy is really nice. I'm very tempted, but don't think I could build in Empyrion what I can build in S/engineers and accurately recreate weight, feel and so on.

I own both, but Space Engineers keeps winning the coin toss for me.
Yeah, I prefer it.

It interests me how players play. I don't go for pure survival from point zero in S/engineers.
I'll build in creative then transfer over the build to survival. I find it quite challenging to see how long I can run a larger and heavier type ship. What with all the resources required to keep it going.
Its good fun, a very lonely space environment that I really enjoy. Running around keeping things going as the ship travels onwards.
I use to swap designs with a mate of mine over many years, we sort of had a friendly competition going.

Last edited:
Top Bottom