Essential Foliage META-Wishlist

Good news @Cocolori ! Three of your foliage picks are already in game:

Swamp Cypress (Taxodium distichum) [Known in game as "Bald Cypress"]

Monkey Puzzle "Tree" (Araucaria araucana) [Unfortunately it is the "ornamental" variant so it looks more like a Norfolk Island Pine; I suggest looking at Araucaria angustifolia, also known as the Paraná pine, for a plant similar to the "wild" variant of the Monkey Puzzle Tree]

Cork Oak (Quercus suber) [This plant is only available in the Europe Pack, the other two are included in the base game]

1. Linden tree (Tilia cordata)
2. Chestnut tree (Aesculus hippocastanum)
3. Ash tree (Fraxinus excelsior)
4. Walnut tree (Juglans regia)
5. Clematis (Clematis sp.) - flexicolour!
6. Lilac (Syringia vulgaris) - flexicolour!
7. Butterfly lilac (? in german: Schmetterlingsflieder) (Buddleja davidii) - flexicolour!
8. Honeysuckle (Lonicera sp.)
9. Hawthorne (Crataegus sp.)
10. Rambler rose (Rosa sp.) - flexicolour!
11. Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia)
12. Witch hazel (Hamamelis mollis)
13. Silver willow (Salix alba)
14. Robinia (Robinia pseudoacacia)
15. Lavender (lavandula officinalis)
16. Rosemary (Salvia rosmarinus)
17. Mallow (Malva sylvestris)
18. Hollyhock (Alcea rosea) - flexicolour!
19. Iris (Iris sp.) "generic" iris - flexicolour!
20. Aconite (Aconitum napellus)
21. Comfrey (Symphytum officinale)
22. Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) - flexicolour!
23. Tea bush (Camellia sinensis)
24. Strelitzia (Strelitzia reginae)
25. Passionflower (Passiflora caerulea)

Last edited:
Updated the list. With 233 species in the list it's getting quite big!

@Cocolori, I skipped the plants that AnimalAvenger mentioned as they are in the game. You can also pick another species.

@shirandhak, I added lavender and hibiscus to the species that were in the list, even though they differ from your suggestion. This is to reduce the overall number of species and to accurately represent support for the general species. If you would want me to change it, please let me know!

Last edited:
I don't know much about plants, but here's my list anyway:
  1. Desert palm (Washingtonia filifera)
  2. Giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum)
  3. Silver birch (Betula pendula)
  4. Orange tree (Citrus sinensis)
  5. Holm oak (Quercus ilex)
  6. Australian banyan (Ficus macrophylla)
  7. Daisy (Bellis perennis)
  8. Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)
  9. Tulip
  10. Bald cypress (Taxodium distichum)
  11. Kelp
  12. Chilean pine (Araucaria araucan)
  13. Maize (Zea mays)
  14. Asian rice (Oryza sativa)
  15. Common poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
  16. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)
  17. Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
  18. Cacao tree (Theobroma cacao)
  19. Red maple (Acer rubrum)
  20. California redwood (Sequoia sempervirens)
  21. American sycamore (Platanus occidentalis)
  22. American black walnut (Juglans nigra)
  23. Almond tree (Prunus dulcis)
  24. Orchid
  25. Bush rose

I replace the bald cypress with the traveller's tree (Ravenala madagascariensis), thanks.

If I'm correct, I can replace the daisy and the poppy now:

-Norfolk Island pine (Araucaria heterophylla)
-Apple tree (Malus domestica)

I'm silly and I had voted for a tree that was in the base game: the Chilean pine (Araucaria auracan). If it is possible, I would like to replace it with Pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana).

Thanks and sorry.

It took a while, but I have finally finalized my list.

• # 1 Ginkgo Tree (Ginkgo biloba)
  • # 2 Pampas Grass (Cortaderia selloana)
  • # 3 Red Maple Tree (Acer rubrum)
  • # 4 Norfolk Pine Tree (Araucaria heterophylla)
  • # 5 Great Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea spectabilis)
  • # 6 Flame Tree (Delonix regia)
  • # 7 Mexican Fan Palm Tree (Washingtonia robusta)
  • # 8 Kauri Tree (Agathis australis)
  • # 9 Durian Tree (Durio zibethinus)
  • # 10 Teak Tree (Tectona grandis)
  • # 11 Sydney Blue Gum Tree (Eucalyptus saligna)
  • # 12 Moreton Bay Fig “Australian Banyan Tree” (Ficus macrophylla)
  • # 13 Blue Jacaranda Tree (Jacaranda mimosifolia)
  • # 14 African Corkwood Tree (Musanga cecropioides) *
  • # 15 Blue Chalk Sticks (Curio repens) *
  • # 16 Sapphire Tower (Puya alpestris) *
  • # 17 Red Gum Tree (Corymbia ficifolia)
  • # 18 Coast Live Oak (Quercus agrifolia)
  • # 19 Giant Pricklypear Cactus (Opuntia galapageia)
  • # 20 Bird-of-Paradise (Strelitzia reginae)
  • # 21 Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa)
  • # 22 Peruvian Pepper (Schinus molle) *
  • # 23 Paraná pine (Araucaria angustifolia) *
  • # 24 Bluecrown Passionflower (Passiflora caerulea) *
  • # 25 Giant Kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera)
* Indicates a new species for the list.

Foxglove, bristlecone pine, California redwood, the mushroom whose name I forgot and perhaps more are in! I will get to update the list later, but feel free to edit your responses if you had any of these!

Also, let's celebrate the fact that we got our first non-plantae foliage piece. This means that more fungi as well as algae and perhaps corals could come!

I know this was mentioned on the twlight release thread but thought could expand it here. The new california redwood which is an oddball really. The generic term of california redwood refers to the Sequoia sempervirens also known as the coastal redwood however it seem we have mixed up names of the more famous Sequoiadendron giganteum - the giant redwood. Maybe im just being picky, but i was getting excited to make a coastal redwood forest not the ones found in the sierras. Whats the worst part? the branches are in constant gusty wind, really they are not that bouncy

Coastal redwood:

1666124821939.png

1666124006642-png.328102
1666124143011.png

Ingame:

20221018210350_1.jpg

Giant Redwood/Sequoia:

1666124218299.png
1666124333656.png

Last edited:
I know this was mentioned on the twlight release thread but thought could expand it here. The new california redwood which is an oddball really. The generic term of california redwood refers to the Sequoia sempervirens also known as the coastal redwood however it seem we have mixed up names of the more famous Sequoiadendron giganteum - the giant redwood. Maybe im just being picky, but i was getting excited to make a coastal redwood forest not the ones found in the sierras. Whats the worst part? the branches are in constant gusty wind, really they are not that bouncy

Coastal redwood:

View attachment 328107
1666124006642-png.328102
View attachment 328103

Ingame:

View attachment 328104

Giant Redwood/Sequoia:

View attachment 328105View attachment 328106
The ones on the first Picture look so nice. I wish we would have those in the Game

I don't know much about plants, but here's my list anyway:
  1. Desert palm (Washingtonia filifera)
  2. Giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum)
  3. Silver birch (Betula pendula)
  4. Orange tree (Citrus sinensis)
  5. Holm oak (Quercus ilex)
  6. Australian banyan (Ficus macrophylla)
  7. Daisy (Bellis perennis) Apple tree (Malus domestica)
  8. Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)
  9. Tulip
  10. Bald cypress (Taxodium distichum) traveller's tree (Ravenala madagascariensis)
  11. Kelp
  12. Chilean pine (Araucaria araucan)
  13. Maize (Zea mays)
  14. Asian rice (Oryza sativa)
  15. Common poppy (Papaver rhoeas) Norfolk Island pine (Araucaria heterophylla)
  16. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)
  17. Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
  18. Cacao tree (Theobroma cacao)
  19. Red maple (Acer rubrum)
  20. California redwood (Sequoia sempervirens)
  21. American sycamore (Platanus occidentalis)
  22. American black walnut (Juglans nigra)
  23. Almond tree (Prunus dulcis)
  24. Orchid
  25. Bush rose

I'm silly and I had voted for a tree that was in the base game: the Chilean pine (Araucaria auracan). If it is possible, I would like to replace it with Pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana).

Thanks and sorry.

I don't know if you saw my petition above about the Auracaria pine, so I'm posting it again:

I want to replace the Chilean pine (Araucaria auracan) (because it was in the game and I didn't realise) with Pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana).
I want to replace the California redwood (twilight pack) with the Norwegian spruce (Picea abies)

Thanks

I don't know if you saw my petition above about the Auracaria pine, so I'm posting it again:

I want to replace the Chilean pine (Araucaria auracan) (because it was in the game and I didn't realise) with Pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana).
I want to replace the California redwood (twilight pack) with the Norwegian spruce (Picea abies)

Thanks
I noticed before but have to check whether I changed it. I'm very busy with my thesis the coming weeks, but I'll update the list when I finish. In the meantime, everyone feel free to edit your lists or add one if you haven't yet :)

I think we have plenty of trees and plants from the tropical and desert regions, but we still don't really have enough variety in plants from the temperate, grassland, and taiga regions. Because I'm American, a lot of these picks will obviously be more local to where I live since that's what I'm familiar with. I apologize if this list is very heavy on the North American temperate plants, that's kind of just how the cookie crumbles.
Conifers:
First of all, I think the game needs some more conifer variety, for both the temperate and taiga biomes. There could definitely be more variety in tree species from these biomes, and there's a lot of interesting conifer species that Planet Zoo is lacking.
1. Norway Spruce (Picea abies) - Native to colder parts of Europe, the Norway Spruce is also widely planted elsewhere. They offer great shade and can grow quite tall.
2. Colorado Blue Spruce (Picea pungens) - As the name implies, this species is native to parts of the Rocky Mountains, namely Colorado. However, it's also commonly planted throughout the United States. It is most notable for the blue color of its needles.
3. White Spruce (Picea glauca) - This large species of spruce is native to the northern temperate and boreal forests of North America. It has a wide range throughout northern North America. It should not be confused with the Colorado Blue Spruce, which is sometimes also called White Spruce.
4. Lodgepole Pine (Pinus contorta) - A very common and widespread tree throughout western North America. It has also been planted elsewhere for timber uses.
5. Common Juniper (Juniperus communis) - A small tree or shrub, the Common Juniper has the largest geographical range of any woody plant. It is widely distributed throughout the Northern Hemisphere.
6. Tamarack Larch (Larix laricina) - This is a unique tree because it's a conifer that changes color in the fall and sheds its needles. It is common throughout the taiga and northern temperate regions of North America.
7. Eastern White Pine (Pinus Strobus) - The Eastern White Pine is the tallest tree species native to the temperate regions of eastern North America. This species is abundant where I live, and they’re very beautiful trees. This species is also planted as an ornamental tree in gardens and parks.
8. Longleaf Pine (Pinus palustris) - A pine species native to the southeastern United States, found along the coastal plain from Texas to Virginia. This is an endangered tree species, so it would’ve been a fitting addition to the Conservation Pack.
9. Italian Stone Pine (Pinus pinea) - This tree species is found in the Mediterranean region, specifically in southern Europe and the Levant. It has been cultivated elsewhere as well. This tree would fit well in our European sections of our zoos, and it would've fit in well in the Europe Pack.

Autumn Foliage Trees and Bushes:
Another thing Planet Zoo is lacking is good autumnal foliage. There's only a few autumn foliage trees in the game currently, which makes things difficult if you're trying to do a seasonally-themed zoo.
1. Red Maple (Acer rubrum) - Widespread in the eastern United States, and commonly planted as a shade tree elsewhere. This species has really spectacular fall colors, turning bright red in autumn. It would be perfect for an Autumn-themed zoo. I'm honestly quite surprised that this species isn't already in the game.
2. Shagbark Hickory (Carya ovata) - This species of tree is common where I live. It can grow over 100 feet tall, and can live more than 350 years. The outer bark often hangs off of the mature trees in strips, giving them a rugged appearance. In autumn it has beautiful yellow foliage.
3. Northern Red Oak (Quercus rubra) - Another species native to the eastern and central United States, including the area where I live. This oak species has really nice dark red foliage in late autumn, which adds a really beautiful splash of color to the landscape.
4. Eastern Cottonwood (Populus deltoides) - There's not many trees in the North American grassland biome in Planet Zoo, which is unfortunate because we have several animals from this region in the game. The Eastern Cottonwood is widespread in North America in both grassland and temperate regions. This tree species would be a great candidate to add a new tree species to this biome and continent combination. It also has pretty nice yellow autumn foliage.
5. Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) - Ginkgos have some really nice fall foliage. They are native to Asia, but are also often planted in other places.
6. Red-Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea) - This deciduous shrub is native to much of North America. Common in riparian areas and wetlands in the wild, it is also a popular ornamental shrub. The autumn foliage ranges in color from bright red to purple.

Other Trees:
1. Silver Birch (Betula pendula) - It would be pretty nice to have some more types of birch trees in the game. The Silver Birch is native to Eurasia and is a very beautiful type of tree.
2. Southern Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) - This tree species is iconic in the southern United States and would be very fitting in habitats for species like the American Alligator.
3. Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) - An evergreen tree species native to the Southeastern United States. This species is also commonly planted as a large ornamental flowering tree, both within its native range but also sometimes farther north.
4. Kousa Dogwood (Cornus kousa) - Kousa dogwood, also known as Chinese dogwood, features flowers in spring that make the species popular, making it perfect for a springtime-themed zoo. This plant is native to East Asia including Korea, China and Japan. It is widely planted as an ornamental tree.
Flowers:
1. Lupine (Lupinus)
2. Heartleaf Arnica (Arnica cordifolia)
3. Fireweed (Chamaenerion angustifolium)
4. Common Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)
5. White Clover (Trifolium repens)
Miscellaneous:
Common Snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus)
Those are all of the plants I would consider to be essential. There are others that I’d like to see added, but they're not as important in my opinion. I mainly wanted to post this list here so that I’d have it written out somewhere.

Last edited:
Been looking for this and finally found it. YES.

Ok, I have only 2 plants I really really want:

Hibiscus, as it's a common flower and very appealing.

Now this next one is special for me: morning glories.
It's my favorite flower of all time, and the blue coloration is wonderful. On top of that, my best friend and I have a special connection to this flower, and I'd love to have it in-game for those reasons

I would really like to see:
1. Daffodils (Narcissus sp.) - Daffodils are a common plant in both gardens and wild places in the western world. They are a classic symbol of spring and their bright yellow trumpets would provide a much needed diversity in the typical flower species we already have in-game. We could possibly have a white colour variant too, similar to how the foxgloves were implemented with different colour variations.

2. Primroses (Primula sp.) - They are brilliant woodland, alpine and wetland plants. They come in a huge variety of colourful species as well as in a variety of selectively bred cultivars. One of the flashiest species may just be the Orchid Primrose (Primula vialii). I think the Common Primrose (Primula Vulgaris) could also be a fantastic addition. I also like the thought of having the ability to change the colour of the petals with the colour editor... Primulas come in such a diverse plethora of colours I genuinely don't see a problem with giving us that ability.

3. Grape Hyacinth (Muscari armeniacum) - A beautiful species, native to woodlands and meadows of Europe. This species has blue flowers, which is a remarkably rare pigment in nature. I think a clump of them would look fantastic in many enclosures especially when paired with grasses and other meadow plants.

4. Woodland Anemone (Anemonoides nemorosa) - Another woodland plant. This species has white flowers and is native to Europe. Many of the shorter flowers in-game right now focus on grassland species so it would be nice to get some shorter woodland species to mix things up a bit.

5. Snowdrop (Galanthus sp.) - I think these would look fantastic in wintery enclosures. I genuinely think spring bulbs plants have a lot of potential in this game. They bring something to the table that current flowers in the game don't right now.

6. Lupin (Lupinus sp.) - I think these flowers are very beautiful. Yet again they come in a diverse selection of colours and species. I think they'd look fantastic in many different enclosures and it would be nice to see them implemented one day. I feel the structure of their leaves and flowers is something current plants in the game can't provide.

7. Wood Sorrel (Oxalis acetosella) - I think their leaves and low growing habit would make them perfect for many woodland enclosures, but also as a sustitute for clover in grassland enclosures. I really like how lush the plant looks and think it'd be very useful addition to the game.

8. Water Forget-me-not (Myosotis scorpioides) - I feel the game is really lacking in wetland flower species. The forget-me-not is blue, which again is a rare pigment in nature. This species could also be used outside of wetland enclosures as a substitute for the traditional forget-me-not.

9. Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris) - Like I said before I feel the game is really lacking in wetland flowers. I feel as though the Marsh Marigold would contribute a lot wetland enclosures. I also feel they'd pair very well with the water forget-me-not.

10. Yellow Flag Iris (Iris pseudacorus) - A taller wetland species. They're a very common sight in many places and can be found in Europe and Asia and even parts of Africa. They resembles reeds, but host yellow flowers. I think we would benefit a lot from another variety of reed for our wetland enclosures.

As of right now I can't think of any other plant species I want... I may come back to edit this post and add more, but not sure. I haven't really given trees any focus as I feel happy with what we have right now.

I really want the oleander and other warm climate bushes. And since I am Building a South african zoo I would love more proteas or at least make the protea flexicolor. Oh and strelitzia please!

Been looking for this and finally found it. YES.

Ok, I have only 2 plants I really really want:

Hibiscus, as it's a common flower and very appealing.

Now this next one is special for me: morning glories.
It's my favorite flower of all time, and the blue coloration is wonderful. On top of that, my best friend and I have a special connection to this flower, and I'd love to have it in-game for those reasons
Added to the list. Morning glories was added to the species Island Morning Glory - Calystegia macrostegia that was in the list.

I would really like to see:
1. Daffodils (Narcissus sp.) - Daffodils are a common plant in both gardens and wild places in the western world. They are a classic symbol of spring and their bright yellow trumpets would provide a much needed diversity in the typical flower species we already have in-game. We could possibly have a white colour variant too, similar to how the foxgloves were implemented with different colour variations.

2. Primroses (Primula sp.) - They are brilliant woodland, alpine and wetland plants. They come in a huge variety of colourful species as well as in a variety of selectively bred cultivars. One of the flashiest species may just be the Orchid Primrose (Primula vialii). I think the Common Primrose (Primula Vulgaris) could also be a fantastic addition. I also like the thought of having the ability to change the colour of the petals with the colour editor... Primulas come in such a diverse plethora of colours I genuinely don't see a problem with giving us that ability.

3. Grape Hyacinth (Muscari armeniacum) - A beautiful species, native to woodlands and meadows of Europe. This species has blue flowers, which is a remarkably rare pigment in nature. I think a clump of them would look fantastic in many enclosures especially when paired with grasses and other meadow plants.

4. Woodland Anemone (Anemonoides nemorosa) - Another woodland plant. This species has white flowers and is native to Europe. Many of the shorter flowers in-game right now focus on grassland species so it would be nice to get some shorter woodland species to mix things up a bit.

5. Snowdrop (Galanthus sp.) - I think these would look fantastic in wintery enclosures. I genuinely think spring bulbs plants have a lot of potential in this game. They bring something to the table that current flowers in the game don't right now.

6. Lupin (Lupinus sp.) - I think these flowers are very beautiful. Yet again they come in a diverse selection of colours and species. I think they'd look fantastic in many different enclosures and it would be nice to see them implemented one day. I feel the structure of their leaves and flowers is something current plants in the game can't provide.

7. Wood Sorrel (Oxalis acetosella) - I think their leaves and low growing habit would make them perfect for many woodland enclosures, but also as a sustitute for clover in grassland enclosures. I really like how lush the plant looks and think it'd be very useful addition to the game.

8. Water Forget-me-not (Myosotis scorpioides) - I feel the game is really lacking in wetland flower species. The forget-me-not is blue, which again is a rare pigment in nature. This species could also be used outside of wetland enclosures as a substitute for the traditional forget-me-not.

9. Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris) - Like I said before I feel the game is really lacking in wetland flowers. I feel as though the Marsh Marigold would contribute a lot wetland enclosures. I also feel they'd pair very well with the water forget-me-not.

10. Yellow Flag Iris (Iris pseudacorus) - A taller wetland species. They're a very common sight in many places and can be found in Europe and Asia and even parts of Africa. They resembles reeds, but host yellow flowers. I think we would benefit a lot from another variety of reed for our wetland enclosures.

As of right now I can't think of any other plant species I want... I may come back to edit this post and add more, but not sure. I haven't really given trees any focus as I feel happy with what we have right now.
Added. No. #1 was added to Wild Narcissus - Narcissus pseudonarcissus. No. #2 was added to Primula vulgaris. No. #5 was added to Galanthus nivalis. No. #6 to Lupinus albifrons.

I really want the oleander and other warm climate bushes. And since I am Building a South african zoo I would love more proteas or at least make the protea flexicolor. Oh and strelitzia please!
I haven't added your choices yet, as I'm not sure if this is a submission. Do you want to specify which other warm climate bushes you would like?

For everyone above, if you would like to submit more choices, please copy your unedited post above and add your new choices.

Well you can add the oleander and strelitzia. South african proteas in general, don't know the exact species. If you don't add them, fine by me.

Everyone who voted for the Yew Tree (@avietar and @-LUCA-),Foxglove (avietar and @sockeyejo), Big Bluestem (@SpookDoc) and Bristlecone pine (@SanRazo618 and SpookDoc) can now cast another vote to the list!

(@TheYeti when you have time could you move these plants to the “Species now in game” list)

SpookDoc,@Ashmund_zoo and @Antimony96 you all can still recast your vote for the Bald Cypress if you want to.

As Captain Callum pointed out before, the “California Redwood Tree” looks like a mix of the two redwood trees, so I haven’t tallied those votes yet.

To recap:
@SpookDoc has three more votes
@avietar has two more votes
@Ashmund_zoo, @-LUCA- , @SanRazo618 and @sockeyejo each have an additional vote.
@Antimony96 can submit up to twenty-one more votes, since they originally casted just five votes.

Back
Top Bottom