Et tu, Old Duck?

One thing I'm noticing is just how empty Open is on PC. I've been hunting USS in Deciat all morning, and there's not a CMDR to be found!

I guess a lot of PvP is gathering around LHS 3006 and the Wyrd area, now that there's some juicy soap opera going on and it shows in-game as some kind of a player faction war or something. Harry Potter and his posse I spotted in Blaster's system (Wolf 397 IIRC) yesterday. And last week Deciat was so busy I got pulled in what seemed like seconds after arrival (didn't even have time to scroll through all the CMDRs in SC).

One thing I'm noticing is just how empty Open is on PC. I've been hunting USS in Deciat all morning, and there's not a CMDR to be found!

Open on PC is far, far more populated than PS4. Are you sure you are properly connecting p2p? What does your 'contacts log' in the top panel tells you?

In a bizarre coincidence, I'm also putting my PS4 CMDR into stasis very soon.
Reason being for me is that I recently set up a new PC and this weekend I've bought a Rift S.
The next few days will probably be spent (in between Beat Sabre sessions!) setting up my T16000 HOTAS from my old setup onto the new PC (finding the keybindings file on the other PC and transfgerring across?) and then getting Voice Attack running and key-bindings set, before opening the game and submerging into VR.
Unlike you, I have a legacy (kickstarter) CMDR to take out of stasis on the PC - but I'll be flying like a newb for a while, I expect, until I get my T16000 muscle memory back (I played PS4 with a HOTAS X) and also get used to the VR experience.

Happy PC flying CMDR - what is your new CMDR name?

I guess a lot of PvP is gathering around LHS 3006 and the Wyrd area, now that there's some juicy soap opera going on and it shows in-game as some kind of a player faction war or something. Harry Potter and his posse I spotted in Blaster's system (Wolf 397 IIRC) yesterday. And last week Deciat was so busy I got pulled in what seemed like seconds after arrival (didn't even have time to scroll through all the CMDRs in SC).
Open on PC is far, far more populated than PS4. Are you sure you are properly connecting p2p? What does your 'contacts log' in the top panel tells you?
Deciat was empty for me in the morning, but then later it finally filled up. I even got ganked for my first time on PC! This whole "any player can escape a gank with a high wake" is nonsense.. Anyway, at least I know my P2P is working (I myself was starting to wonder).

I don't know that I've seen a big difference on PC vs PS4, however. I'm not that interested in tons of players in a single system (it'll be ages before I get my Shinrata permit), but rather I'm hoping to run into a single CMDR here and there in more systems. Then again, instancing eats bandwidth (of which I currently have a monthly limit), so I guess I should be happy that "space is big".

Happy PC flying CMDR - what is your new CMDR name?
When I had to pick my name, I didn't have a lot of time, so I just went with "Old Duck". This is not to be confused with my PS4 CMDR "OneOldDuck". BTW, I too am interested in that Rift S, so let me know how you like it!

When I had to pick my name, I didn't have a lot of time, so I just went with "Old Duck". This is not to be confused with my PS4 CMDR "OneOldDuck". BTW, I too am interested in that Rift S, so let me know how you like it!

I'm glad that Old Duck wasn't already taken by somebody else (perhaps trying to impersonate you and get you a bad rep!).
To be fair - that's probably the best name you could've chosen for your new CMDR, so it's good that the "creative urge" didn't strike - only for you to be stuck with a name that you don't like and regret later.

I'll let you know how the 'S goes...

PC power, big- 8K flatscreen, Virpil-Warthog hybrid Stick and Throttle. Then say you get burnout...…..
I'm on a humble small 1080p screen with DS4, and yet the game feels new and almost like a different game in places. The difference, graphics-wise, is very pronounced in many areas. There are things I just didn't bother with PS4 because ED looks so rubbish on that platform - things like INRA bases, generation ships, etc. I went to my first INRA base this weekend (quite accidentally) and it was pretty amazing! Granted, there isn't much to "do" beside get the logs and take in the sites (which I wish I could do with space legs), but taking in the sites is actually enjoyable now. Heck, I find myself "exploring" everyday orbital outposts just to experience them in with way better, more realistic graphics. Oh, and the rock solid 60fps with Ultra graphics is pretty amazing. I could go even higher, but 60fps is good enough for me (and it lets my laptop run cooler).

Next on my bucket list is VR!

I'm glad that Old Duck wasn't already taken by somebody else (perhaps trying to impersonate you and get you a bad rep!).
To be fair - that's probably the best name you could've chosen for your new CMDR, so it's good that the "creative urge" didn't strike - only for you to be stuck with a name that you don't like and regret later.
I've been surprised by the names I've seen other PC CMDRs choose. Many look like console names - underscores instead of spaces and just weird combinations of letters that don't sound like names at all. People must not know that a few spaces can exponentially expand the number of possibilities. For example, in ESO I wanted "normal" names, but all the popular ones like "Samantha" and "Henry" were taken. So I created characters named "Samantha the Wise" and "Henry the Brave", and they were available! This is much better than "xxx_Samantha1234_xxx" that so many people default to.

INaeem

Elite Greeter
I truly recommend REWASD. The Xbox One Elite Controller in conjunction with the official Xbox One Chatpad, VoiceAttack and REWASD is a joy to behold. The Chatpad will give you a full functioning keyboard at your fingertips. No additional software is required for the Chatpad, Windows recognises the Chatpad as a keyboard. All you need is to download the free Xbox Accessories app from the Windows store to update the firmware on both the Chatpad and Xbox Controller. REWASD will allow you reconfigure the Elite Controller peddles and more.

@Old Duck - Rift S is very fussy with laptops, you need a Display Port (or miniDP) connected to your GPU directly and it may work for you... but if it does, ED in VR is on another level entirely!
I've passed through a couple of systems with your PS4 tag on in the past, look forward to seeing the Old Duck ones in the future.

Last edited:
@Old Duck - Rift S is very fussy with laptops, you need a Display Port (or miniDP) connected to your GPU directly and it may work for you... but if it does, ED in VR is on another level entirely!
I have a good 2019 gaming laptop with DisplayPort and USB 3, so it should work.

I've passed through a couple of systems with your PS4 tag on in the past, look forward to seeing the Old Duck ones in the future.
I've only mapped one system with this new account (see below). I don't know that I'll be putting my name on new systems like I did on PS4. I kinda burned out on deep space exploration. This time around I'm actually thinking of exploring the Bubble, looking for interesting sites and sights. Ironically you are more likely to find one of "my" planets under the tag of Jenny_Diver, my alt CMDR who I used for exploring a concentrated mini-bubble on the edge of the main Bubble. I thought I might find a new Guardian Ruin, as there were brain trees everywhere, but I never did...
So far I've only mapped

Attachments

• first mapping.png
    first mapping.png
    229 KB · Views: 234
Top Bottom