General Exploration SRV death penalties are oppressive

[1] With the exception of the smallish amount of exploration rank you gain the first time you find a new-to-you material, which is applied instantly.
Also the Ram Tah quests (has a time limit but doesn't reset on death IIRC) and also exploration xp gained from driving the SRV long distances.

I guess when ED first came out the concept of losing anything when you die had become unique in MMO's and it made Elite stand out and feel different.

With credit inflation and other instances of losing stuff on death being either less meaningful or removed it doesn't really hit that hard nowdays. The Danger it put in Elite Dangerous never really had a payoff so it only succeeded in making players overly cautious.

The only time it's made me cautious was coming in from the black with a load of explo data. Everything else I've been like a crazy person. I once had a hoard of 150M empire vouchers, back when you had to go to empire space to cash it in and 150M was a real amount of creds unlike now where I can sneeze and I might fart out that amount. When I lost it, it was entirely my fault and while there was a moment of regret, I didn't flinch at all.

Now with creds being so easy I dunno why it would affect anyone.

And that trip in from the black with loads of explo data I could've lost? Heaps of fun. There is no fun with no risk.

The only time it's made me cautious was coming in from the black with a load of explo data. Everything else I've been like a crazy person. I once had a hoard of 150M empire vouchers, back when you had to go to empire space to cash it in and 150M was a real amount of creds unlike now where I can sneeze and I might fart out that amount. When I lost it, it was entirely my fault and while there was a moment of regret, I didn't flinch at all.

Now with creds being so easy I dunno why it would affect anyone.

And that trip in from the black with loads of explo data I could've lost? Heaps of fun. There is no fun with no risk.

Yeah, with 30b in personal assets and 6b in the carrier bank money has become an almost irrelevant factor in how I explore, and being able to turn explo data in at my carrier every 500ly or 1000ly, if I die I can just fly back and scan all those systems again in a couple of hours, your visited stars list populates no matter what, so you can just jump back along that path any time you want. I am suspecting it's only the "must get explorer Elite 5 rank as soon as possible" type players that worry about money these days. Dying is pretty much a nothing burger these days.

I agree it is weird that you lose data that should be safely stored on your ship, but I guess the mindset behind it is that data gathered while on foot is stored in your suit instead. I also agree that driving around in your SRV at 2% hull is a bit risky, I wouldn't even go back to my ship, I'd synthesize a repair at that point.

I had something similar happen to me that was maybe even worse though, well the results were the same but I wouldn't say I was being risky.
I was on a planet with a wingmate, I mean teammate. And I was on foot sitting atop of the nose of his Anaconda, pointing my gun at his cockpit joking that I was within minimum range of his hardpoints (not that he had any guns equipped anyway). He then started the engine so he could deploy hardpoints, but before he even got the chance to deploy them I spontaneously died, lost all my data, and then my SRV spontaneously self-destructed, empathic suicide I guess. The Anaconda did not even move, it just started the engines and stayed there hovering 1m above the ground.

And while the money is not an issue, maybe for rank progress, but even then it wasn't much because we had only left recently on that trip. The more annoying part was losing the SRV, meaning I had to go back to the bubble, and the most annoying part was that I still don't know why or how I died, I wasn't doing anything reckless. Considering all the crazy things we can survive in the game, I didn't think something I could feasibly do in real life would kill me.

I guess the lesson here is, "Stay away from other people's ships, even if they are friendly."

He then started the engine so he could deploy hardpoints, but before he even got the chance to deploy them I spontaneously died, lost all my data, and then my SRV spontaneously self-destructed, empathic suicide I guess. The Anaconda did not even move, it just started the engines and stayed there hovering 1m above the ground.
Standing on top of my ship and waving for a nice screenshot was instant death for me. And my discovery that waving dismisses your ship.

The more annoying part was losing the SRV, meaning I had to go back to the bubble
Most fleet carriers (outside bubble) have repair, restock, rearm, so if far out in deep space no need to return to bubble, just any DSSA fleet carrier. It can be repaired or replaced.

Standing on top of my ship and waving for a nice screenshot was instant death for me. And my discovery that waving dismisses your ship.
deaths.gif

Most fleet carriers (outside bubble) have repair, restock, rearm, so if far out in deep space no need to return to bubble, just any DSSA fleet carrier. It can be repaired or replaced.

Waving dismisses the ship? I am glad I do not know how to wave. Though maybe I should figure it out so I don't do so accidentally.
Not sure why they implemented that when there is a separate option to dismiss your ship.
So you got killed by your own ship? Who was your killer according to the incident report?

I did not know DSSA was a thing. I also did not know that an SRV was considered ammo, so I assumed I needed a place with outfitting capability, which I think is a lot rarer on carriers. I also never managed to successfully dock with a carrier yet, they are alien to me, though I am more familiar with some actual alien technology.

I don't remember what killed me according to the incident report. It was a year ago.

The DSSA is a group of Fleet Carriers spread across the galaxy by players. They are permanently and reliably stationed.
DSSA Map Locations

Waving dismisses the ship? I am glad I do not know how to wave. Though maybe I should figure it out so I don't do so accidentally.
There are is a whole wheel of emoji actions they introduced a while back probably hoping to appeal to the youth market, a careful check through the on foot bindings should allow you to disable them or at least be aware of what is dangerous.

Not sure why they implemented that when there is a separate option to dismiss your ship.
So you got killed by your own ship? Who was your killer according to the incident report?

I did not know DSSA was a thing. I also did not know that an SRV was considered ammo, so I assumed I needed a place with outfitting capability, which I think is a lot rarer on carriers. I also never managed to successfully dock with a carrier yet, they are alien to me, though I am more familiar with some actual alien technology.
Landing on an FC is much like any other station except that more of them will be unavailable to you restrictions set by the owner.

Top Bottom