Extracting Material from Asteroids

Noob question. just started mining and starting to getting the hang of it, on the surface as well in flight. As for the last, when i’m mining an asteroid sometimes materials show up on the surface of the asteroid (i.e. nickel, chromium, iron, etc.) My question, how do i collect them? Collector limpets ignore them, even tried surface landing/schooping them with the ship. Can’t find info on the anywhere.

Material storage is not unlimited, you are only allowed a set amount per grade of item...
When laser mining the default action is for limpet collector to collect items unless the storage is full or an item is put on to ignore list…
When no item is targeted and collectors deployed they will get any thing in range that includes engineering materials and not the laser mining commodities you were after...

Thanks GraphiteGB for taking the time to answer. But thats what bugs me, I know about the storage cap and i’m not even close to max per item. And not targeting as well. Just plain weird. ah well, guess its space karma then 🤣

If they're "fixed" deposits on the surface of the asteroid and not the stuff that just comes out from laser mining, you need either abrasion blasters or subsurface missiles (depending on the deposit) to knock them free.

Engineering materials dont spawn on surface of rocks... there only collectable via laser mning If your miss Qouting the item type then thats another matter
So unless you messed with items on the Left contacts panel... its likely a EDO bug...
If your doing EDH actions theres no reason to boot into EDO and you can stay in EDH. you can boot into EDO when your ready to walk again...
If your already in EDH then it does look like a bug with the ignore function.

Last edited:
There's an actual bug where the raw materials appear to be stuck inside the rock itself and not released properly for pickup. It's got nothing to do with storage limits, it's a bug. I've been experimenting with raw mat mining from asteroids and this happens about half the time. The iron, nickel etc appears in contacts but the collector limpets either throw themselves at the rock and die or circle it doing nothing, as if they are trying to pick up something they cannot reach, until they expire.

So yes, it does appear to be an EDO bug.

thnx guys n gals for your help. like Pphree mentioned, my nickel, iron, etc. mats are ‘stuck’ on the asteroid. so i’ll put it down as bug and ignore it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Top Bottom