First "normal" coverage i've heard regarding odyseey.

Love a bit lf Lave Radio while playing, much better than their newer counterparts across the pond that ummmmmmmmmm, ummmmmmmmm, ummmmmmmmmm (could really use a script).

Totally agree their adverts are on point too

Edit: grammer

Your contracts didn't include NDAs back then? If so FDev changed their policy afterwards.

CMDR visits to FDev Towers for the past few years have all included NDAs, including when a bunch of us went in late 2018 for Beyond 3.3.

Shan is also a NDA signee:

Fair. No, I've never been invited to Frontier HQ, so I wouldn't know.

With frontiers.. attempts to self white knight (is that possible?) and the prophets swooning in reaction and then continuing to swoon with their followers.. was such an relief to hear a bunch of normal people talking about odyseey. Even the forums have turned to chaos since the white knights all came back a week before the announcement.

Definitely the first stable minded coverage ive heard for odyseey. Great listen (as always). Recommended to all grey knights to check it out.

So, everything is the fault of white knights? Erm... ok!

To be honest what they showed looked nice, but in scope it was very limited and demo like because it was just that- all alpha tests. People standing in front of ships and not walking down ramps, no active sampling, concept art filling in the gaps.

While I loved seeing this, the next diaries need to get much more descriptive and show more game in action with perhaps the deep dive an actual hot build we can see in action (even if its for a few minutes only).

T'was a good listen and I agreed to varying degrees about what was said.

On the one hand I'm quite surprised some obvious gameplay elements don't appear to have been nailed down, on the other it's not unusual to have gameplay changing up to release as it's always the last thing to be added and sometimes ideas don't work or fit in with other features etc...

I suspect getting all the planetary stuff working in game was no mean task, especially if you're upping the level of fidelity and are having to stream those new textures over the same vast draw distances.

I was disappointed by Discovery Scanner, I thought we might at least get a little more information or some background into development, but hey ho.

With frontiers.. attempts to self white knight (is that possible?) and the prophets swooning in reaction and then continuing to swoon with their followers.. was such an relief to hear a bunch of normal people talking about odyseey. Even the forums have turned to chaos since the white knights all came back a week before the announcement.

Definitely the first stable minded coverage ive heard for odyseey. Great listen (as always). Recommended to all grey knights to check it out.

Typical, the one week I've got a holiday and someone starts a thread about appreciating what we do.

One guy Phoenix_Dfire uses a mic that his breathing is crystal clear in your ears. I think other mics can mask it better.

Yup, That's my Bad. I sometimes forget to mute the mike when it's not my turn to talk which can sound a little 'Midnight Caller'. Got to remember to mute more often.

To everyone else, thanks for the feedback. To be honest due to the lack of support on reddit and some of the ignored community questions, we never really know if people are listening or they're enjoying what we do. This thread (as well as discovering that we still have between ten and twenty thousand downloads of the podcast every week) has really boosted the team that pull this together

The one thing that I do regret from 305 was that we all were a little surprised that the atmospheric flight model wasn't in and that they hadn't worked out how to get that 'Neil Armstrong Moment Yet' (We're not going to talk about ship interiors until we have a definite yea or nay on that) and we thought should be in by now. My response should have been 'This is only Dev Diary 1, we know there is more to Odyssey that we've been shown so far. They've still got time to get the flight right for thin atmosphere worlds, it's not as if they've got to model the full atmosphere of an Earth Like world (yet) and the often quoted 'Neil Armstrong' moment (Or should that be Mark Watney) is very subjective. We also have no other details apart from some vague hints about Social Hubs etc (we don't get advance info from frontier about odyssey) so we don't know what else is coming. They could reveal something in dev diary 2 or 3 and my dev brain would then know that's where the effort has gone. I'm hoping that they will finally allow srvs to be used in Multicrew and that Multicrew has a whole new applications fr this update. (That and Powerplay get's some fixes).

Some might see that as 'White Knighting' or making excuses but personally, we're not even at beta stage yet. If the atmosphere flight model or Neil Armstrong things are missing at that stage, then people should be worried.

Anyway, I'm off on a rant, which I should be keeping for the show, so just let me just say thanks for listening and drop us a like and a review on iTunes, Spotify or whatever pod catcher you use on Android.

Last edited:
To everyone else, thanks for the feedback. To be honest due to the lack of support on reddit and some of the ignored community questions, we never really know if people are listening or they're enjoying what we do. This thread (as well as discovering that we still have between ten and twenty thousand downloads of the podcast every week) has really boosted the team that pull this together

Yeah definitely positive lave radio feedback. Elite content is like the 3 bears.. some are too positive (or too polite to frontier), some are too negative, some aren't covering elite and more covering themselves. You guys aren't like that. Your content hits the spot perfectly for (probably) a specific demographic.. people who are into elite, yet are past the honeymoon phase so the balance makes sense.

The only notable feedback (why lave radio might be challenge to some) is the eternity you spend at the beginning of the podcast talking about your personal lives and the weather in the UK, native wildlife, local traffic etc. I remember at one point it was a consistent 20 mins, then consistent 30 mins, then it was an hour a few times, then shan took a podcast and it was 10 mins. Either way, i always skip via whatever player to when you guys start talking about the game, and maybe from doing that it elevated your stuff to a+++. Having said, i get the feeling stopping your warmup would possibly be worse, so maybe just some timestamps (or links just to start from there) could be great. Maybe new listeners find getting though the personal stuff quite challenging.

Been playing elite a bit more lately trying out painite mining, so just wanted to add i really like your idea about specific missions locked to ship types. That could indeed put back ship progression to an extent, never heard it suggested before. The majority here at least admit it was better in the past.

Also, maybe try the forums. On the odd occasion someone links your shows, its usually well enjoyed and discussed. Maybe start the actual topic yourselves in dd then link the podcast, kinda like the galnet for forums. And balance is good. You guys keep shan and souverine so obviously aren't going for just white knights. I think why i appreciate your content is because you're not trying to do either way the only option left is to just be honest on what you're thinking and it lines up exactly with people in the community who take the same attitude.

Last edited:
The only notable feedback (why lave radio might be challenge to some) is the eternity you spend at the beginning of the podcast talking about your personal lives and the weather in the UK, native wildlife, local traffic etc. I remember at one point it was a consistent 20 mins, then consistent 30 mins, then it was an hour a few times, then shan took a podcast and it was 10 mins. Either way, i always skip via whatever player to when you guys start talking about the game, and maybe from doing that it elevated your stuff to a+++. Having said, i get the feeling stopping your warmup would possibly be worse, so maybe just some timestamps (or links just to start from there) could be great. Maybe new listeners find getting though the personal stuff quite challenging.

Thanks for that. It has been noted and passed onto everyone.

Thanks for that. It has been noted and passed onto everyone.

Just for some more info on that - I actually started listening to this, then stopped pretty quick as I didn't want to have to fiddle about trying to find the stuff I was interested in.

Top Bottom