Fix the System map!

For the love of all that's holy, fix this system map, Frontier! Yes, I know this has been brought up a thousand times, but obviously FDev has ignored the communuty, so it's my turn. Here is just one example of what's wrong with the system map and why:

system_map.png

Notice that Meredith City is only 361 LS away, which means those two stars are in relatively close binary orbit. Yet I have to zoom completely out and scroll down ever so slowly (thanks to the "slow scroll" bug in VR) to even see this station, let alone select it, thanks to this insane fleet carrier icon clutter. Even noticing there is a station here is like a game of "Where's Wally?" Forgive me, but this is pure embarrassingly amateur rubbish, and it needs to be fixed.

How can this be done? Plenty of suggestions have been made - apply nav panel filters to the system map, have collapsing tree / folder views (showing just one icon of a fleet carrier with a plus / minus sign to expand), remove fleet carriers from the system map altogether (what value is there in 200 icons to hover over?), limit the number of fleet carriers in populated systems to a much smaller number (like 10), etc. I really don't care how you fix it, just FIX IT.

Last edited:
For the love of all that's holy, fix this system map, Frontier! Yes, I know this has been brought up a thousand times, but obviously FDev has ignored the communuty, so it's my turn. Here is just one example of what's wrong with the system map and why:

View attachment 192067

Notice that Meredith City is only 361 LS away, which means those two stars are in relatively close binary orbit. Yet I have to zoom completely out and scroll down ever so slowly (thanks to the "slow scroll" bug in VR) to even see this station, let alone select it, thanks to this insane fleet carrier icon clutter. Even noticing there is a station here is like a game of "Where's Wally?" Forgive me, but this is pure embarrassingly amateur rubbish, and it needs to be fixed.

How can this be done? Plenty of suggestions have been made - apply nav panel filters to the system map, have collapsing tree / folder views (showing just one icon of a fleet carrier with a plus / minus sign to expand), remove fleet carriers from the system map altogether (what value is there in 200 icons to hover over?), limit the number of fleet carriers in populated systems to a much smaller number (like 10), etc. I really don't care how you fix it, just FIX IT.
100% agree. Bunda and all other surrounding systems are in a similar state. I assume an easy fix would be as you suggested, a toggle button or something to filter out the FC display on system maps.

+1.

A filter for the system map would be truly fantastic. And the nav panel ideally the nav panel would still show my own carrier when I toggle FC's off.

Unless you're looking for any carrier other than your own (which probably means 0.05% of times), having all the FCs on the map and nav panel by default servers no purpose and makes the map a pain to read. Plus sometimes people like to take a screenshot of a system map for various purposes, and visible FCs are visual pollution in these cases.

Anyway, being in the suggestion subforum, this thread is like the invisible man. :)

Last edited:
have collapsing tree / folder views (showing just one icon of a fleet carrier with a plus / minus sign to expand)
Seriously. Have multiple carriers around the same body show as a single object, that's all that's needed. Select the object and zoom on it to select individual carriers.

We already have the planetary map view that you can zoom in to select individual settlements and planetary ports.

edit:
And the nav panel ideally the nav panel would still show my own carrier when I toggle FC's off.
and this! Even in the regular nav panel, if I have carriers hidden then I don't necessarily want to hide my carrier, just all the others that are clogging up the place.

They probably reused the code which positions smaller objects in orbit of other objects with minor tweaks and called it a day, because OF COURSE during testing there was 1-3 carriers around :D

Also another exemplary case of "I'm not playing my own game" aka not dogfooding :p

PS: while on the topic of maps, can we PLEASE change the one number that is default, unset camera angle in Galaxy Map to something other than 0? So that we are no longer positioned on the plane zero, thus not seeing selection cursor? Fools newbies since day 1.

They probably reused the code which positions smaller objects in orbit of other objects with minor tweaks and called it a day, because OF COURSE during testing there was 1-3 carriers around :D
Well, that's obviously short-sighted because Frontier set a high cap per system, so they should have tested what that high cap would look like on a variety of different system maps. This is Programming 101.

If FCs were like CMDRs where you'd only see them in Open, this current system map mess would much more likely push me into Solo than any ganker.

Well, that's obviously short-sighted because Frontier set a high cap per system, so they should have tested what that high cap would look like on a variety of different system maps. This is Programming 101.

If FCs were like CMDRs where you'd only see them in Open, this current system map mess would much more likely push me into Solo than any ganker.
Have you tried blocking the maps? 😉

Easiest is just to add another tab with the old view ie No FCs at all, probaby easier than adding filters to SysMap.

In the OP though the easier solution is to tab left 1 and just scroll down to the base and select it, will jump the view straight there, no need to drag it across the map.

I still want a 2nd Original view map though, then you can add anything new in future to the other one and keep the original vanilla. Options :)

I don't think there is enough saying about this. Most inmersion breaking -and- gameplay inconvenience since I started playing.
And is not Only a map problem. It is a problem on FSS scan (a big one sometimes), nav panel for new players until they know they can filter that #$@ useless garbg.

There has been practically never a reason for me to Show Filter the Fleet carriers on the nav panel... If one time I need to see where a FC is, I'll let them know. Or even better, I'll use a third party app to find it.

Tho, I reckon some times, Exploring and jumping in a random system and see one or two fleet carriers is always the sign of "Ok, I found the place..." But of course breaks the awe... "Oh, I'll follow that Ram Tah mission, sounds awesome" -> Finds fleet carriers orbiting every guardian ruin "ok, lots of people grinding them daily...I feel special"

Worst part is that probably there is a reason they'll left the system like that; for new players: Show that the game is alive with lots of players and they can become a miner-grinder to buy his own FC too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom