Fleet Carriers - Community Wishlist

But what I have read there is nothing substantial at all we know about how navigation of fleet carriers will work.
Gnosis navigates by selecting a System and Body. There have been several occasions where it had parked the Gnosis inside planets and other unsuitable locations. These bugs have been fixed and Gnosis has arrived safely for a long time now.

Is it right, we don't even know if we will be able to pilot the carrier in supercruise ourselves? If the fleet carrier will only be an asset randomly located somwhere in the system only able to do system-jumps, I'll consider it a major let down from my expectations. I really hope the owner of the carrier will be able to navigate it in supercruise from it's bridge.

But what I have read there is nothing substantial at all we know about how navigation of fleet carriers will work.

We know nothing about what features they will have or how they will work. Its all pure speculation.

We know nothing about what features they will have or how they will work. Its all pure speculation.

Frontier seem mostly leak proof :D

Guess I'll just lean back and let the surprise hit me whenever it's ready. Just thinking that flying a carrier manually from the bridge would be really... lack of words ... awesome.

That comes from a pilot who loves the T9 feeling. I'd absolutly would like the challange to navigate a mega-brick which needs planning ahead for accleartation and breaking, let alone turning.

Last edited:
The thread itself may state that, but you want to take bets that some people are really thinking they might get even a tenth of what people are proposing?

You know me, i'm a big fan of ED and FD, but we have to be realistic, and its better to be pleasantly surprised rather than dissapointed due to inflated expectations.

Call me Sad McSadlyverysadface, but FD have never actually added anything beyond PP that has made me sit up and go "whoah duuude!" like someone just connected my genitals to mains current. Its about time FD got out of placeholder mode and gave us the real hit for once, right out of the gate. What I don't want to see is more iterative 'wait for the next update before its good' mentality to creep in, because in FD speak that means its not going to get updated.

Call me Sad McSadlyverysadface, but FD have never actually added anything beyond PP that has made me sit up and go "whoah duuude!" like someone just connected my genitals to mains current. [...]

brrzzzt... doub't I would want that experience :eek:

but.. hey, what about your first visit to a Unknown Structure??? This was pretty close to... brzzzt.. :LOL:

dxm55

Banned
What I don't want to see is more iterative 'wait for the next update before its good' mentality to creep in, because in FD speak that means its not going to get updated.

Well, some players seem content to just enjoy the existing bland and repetitive content.
They have defended the game, content, features, and FD quite staunchly. Not sure how people can actually appreciate an almost beautiful vase that has a huge crack on one side.

I'd also like fleet carriers to be vulnerable. If you accerlarte too hard or enter orbit with a wrong vector they should be in danger to break apart or catch fire.

I would love if fleet carriers would be a hell to navigate and real danges for the ship involved.

But I am fully aware that in "Elite Optional, danger only if you absolutly asking for it", this absolutly won't ever happen. But that's ok, since Elite Beautyfull is that game I play when I absolutly need a positive downtime just to chill and relax and be happy in rainbows.

Last edited:
Well, some players seem content to just enjoy the existing bland and repetitive content.
I think everyone want the game to improve, but whether you find it bland or feel reptitive is down to the individual and how you play. All games are full of repetition.

They have defended the game, content, features, and FD quite staunchly. Not sure how people can actually appreciate an almost beautiful vase that has a huge crack on one side.
I haven't seen anyone actually defend FDev, what I have seen is people having different opinions on what they like.

Not all speculation, they have outlined a basic pitch:

The overview back at the 2017 Expo was:
  • "A mobile base of operations for Squadrons where its members can refuel, rearm, and respawn."
Source: Expo 2017 Livestream [1]

The 'proposal' back in May 2018 was:
  • "So the fleet carrier is going to be a very large ship, which members of the Squadron will be able to dock with."
  • "If enough of a certain resources is available the ship will be able to move."
  • "That's not on the weekly tick, it's whenever you have the resources to do it."
  • "There will be various other things you can upgrade on it, and things to go with that."
  • "People [not in the Squadron] will be able to visit your Squadron's fleet carrier, but they will not get permission to dock"
  • "They can see it, so that if we do manage to get any customisation options in and stuff other people can see what you've done. And if we do get visual representation of upgrades, for example, they can see what you've upgraded"
Source: Squadron Focused Feedback Vid [1] & [2]

Is it right, we don't even know if we will be able to pilot the carrier in supercruise ourselves? If the fleet carrier will only be an asset randomly located somwhere in the system only able to do system-jumps, I'll consider it a major let down from my expectations. I really hope the owner of the carrier will be able to navigate it in supercruise from it's bridge.

That sounds like what the pitch is on mobility. Just jumps. As Dommarraa said, the Gnosis is probably a good template. Better to temper your expectations to what they've said ;)

Last edited:
I highly suspect that Carriers, alongside most systems have been in ED, will be "v1.0" on arrival and offer a subset of a final feature set. We still don't have rumours in the FSS, so I'm skeptical of anything but a place to dock, refuel and... well, that's about it. Maybe being able to call a few ships in so you can have that thing we've all wanted for ages "Load outs" (if anyone is, or was, a WoW player you'll know what a boon they were)... but I doubt even that. They'll be big, expensive, horrible to fuel and a pain in the backside to manage.

I can't wait. :)

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Not all speculation, they have outlined a basic pitch:

The overview back at the 2017 Expo was:
  • "A mobile base of operations for Squadrons where its members can refuel, rearm, and respawn."
Source: Expo 2017 Livestream [1]

The 'proposal' back in May 2018 was:
  • "So the fleet carrier is going to be a very large ship, which members of the Squadron will be able to dock with."
  • "If enough of a certain resources is available the ship will be able to move."
  • "That's not on the weekly tick, it's whenever you have the resources to do it."
  • "There will be various other things you can upgrade on it, and things to go with that."
  • "People [not in the Squadron] will be able to visit your Squadron's fleet carrier, but they will not get permission to dock"
  • "They can see it, so that if we do manage to get any customisation options in and stuff other people can see what you've done. And if we do get visual representation of upgrades, for example, they can see what you've upgraded"
Source: Squadron Focused Feedback Vid [1] & [2]

That sounds like what the pitch is on mobility. Just jumps. As Dommarraa said, the Gnosis is probably a good template. Better to temper your expectations to what they've said ;)

Nice, thanks for that! I personally don't have ANY expectations. Previous releases and overhyping their content by FDEV taught me to assume "wait and see" stance.

However - since Fleet Carriers were delayed a full year, I hope we will get more features that outlined in the above quote.

(Disclaimer: hope != expectation :p )

Last edited:
brrzzzt... doub't I would want that experience :eek:

but.. hey, what about your first visit to a Unknown Structure??? This was pretty close to... brzzzt.. :LOL:

It was nice, just like all the alien assets they were well done and atmospheric.

The problem is these places only work once, and don't actually generate the free form drama and player content PP does, withered as it is.

...overhyping their content by FDEV taught me to assume "wait and see" stance.
Reminds me of Interstellar Initiatives. Not only did they hype the first one up before it was introduced, they then had the nerve to hype it up again after it finished, pretending it was amazing and loved by the community, when in actuality it seems that most of the community hated it.

Call me Sad McSadlyverysadface, but FD have never actually added anything beyond PP that has made me sit up and go "whoah duuude!" like someone just connected my genitals to mains current. Its about time FD got out of placeholder mode and gave us the real hit for once, right out of the gate. What I don't want to see is more iterative 'wait for the next update before its good' mentality to creep in, because in FD speak that means its not going to get updated.
I found landing on planets quite good. The buggy. The scanner. Bases. The whole soundscape. But you cant do that all the time of course. Escpecially not when AI cancerships buffed beyond any reason spawn on your sorry vanilla rear.

However - since Fleet Carriers were delayed a full year, I hope we will get more features that outlined in the above quote.

(Disclaimer: hope != expectation :p )

Well, still in the interests of tempering expectations, I've a feeling that delay was more to do with ironing out pitfalls .. what happens to game (or BGS) performance if 350 fleet carriers, and all associated Cmdr ships, decide to descend on Sol in five minutes flat. That kind oif thing.

I'm also in the 1.0 camp. Certainly not expecting Carriers to have all bells and whistles from the off .. but a safe implementation and basic functionality hopefully gives a foundation for more later on.

I found landing on planets quite good. The buggy. The scanner. Bases. The whole soundscape. But you cant do that all the time of course. Escpecially not when AI cancerships buffed beyond any reason spawn on your sorry vanilla rear.

Buggy: frictionless meh. Nice moon jazz.

The scanner. Does the job, not exactly thrilling though.

Bases- alien ones are nice the first time around. Then its a case of doing them as fast as you can x times. Human bases? OK, but what gameplay do they add? Just like alien bases you have limited things to do, and once done it becomes repetition.

The soundscape is indeed ace, if lacking in new music.

AI 'cancerships'? You having a laugh or something? The ones that come after me are made of some sort of spreadable cheese, like an Aldi own brand Philadelphia.

what happens to game (or BGS) performance if 350 fleet carriers, and all associated Cmdr ships, decide to descend on Sol in five minutes flat. That kind oif thing.

Fun, thats what. Not for Dav who would be having some sort of episode but I'm salivating at having loads of player carriers crammed into places.

Top Bottom