ANNOUNCEMENT Fleet Carriers Update - Beta 2 - Date Announcement

Well I followed the link logged in and it just takes me to my comander info and the fleet carina tab just brings me back here😂

I have to
So you say, the game was pretty cheap? 2x 50 Euros isn't that cheap. Other game dev live with that, too. If they need more they create content. I paid 25 Euros for NMS. And I get free update after another. Why I stick then to Elite? Because I love the look and feel of the planets and the ships and the community.

Look at the current state of Elite! It reminds me on Battlefield V. Glacial development, but lots of customisation for money and finally abandoned. Abandoned like many modules in Elite we received already. Multicrew is poopoo and abandoned, powerplay hasn't got any improvement, instancing is like lottery nowadays, most of the missions you can't do together despite wings-update in 2015, squadrons was a poor joke, ...

Together with the "we don't tell anything"-policy that makes me pretty annoyed (there are even memes on the "roadmap secrecy"). I love to play the game because there's no alternative to it, but the flaws of that game are slapping everywhere into my face.
Buying games/expansions on release compared to buying them on discount sales always makes for an interesting discussion.

I'm sure part (all?) of the reason NMS has completely free updates is because of the marketing lies before release, and the large fund generated courtesy of the millions of €50 copies they sold based on said marketing.

I'm sure part (all?) of the reason NMS has completely free updates is because of the marketing lies before release, and the large fund generated courtesy of the millions of €50 copies they sold based on said marketing.

Hm... I decided to buy the game after I saw the different streams where the devs talked about what will be ingame soontm. The official trailer is exciting:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6peGu2yG6o

That wasn't marketing lies then?

Hm... I decided to buy the game after I saw the different streams where the devs talked about what will be ingame soontm. The official trailer is exciting:
If one bases their game purchasing decision on a cinematic trailer overlaid with "not actual game footage" text then they only lied to themselves. Cinematic, non-gameplay trailers have been used in the games industry for 20-odd years now. I can link a few if you'd like.

On a similar note, making a purchasing decision based on "what is planned to come sometime in the future" is similarly foolhardy.

Only pre-order/crowdfund unless you're happy for your cash to be flushed away.

If something has been bought yet isn't what was sold, use your Consumer Rights and get a refund.

Remember when gamers used to wait for game reviews before buying? Comically, nowadays there are reviews, streamers, and video makers, all of which help inform a purchasing decision.

Although I like elite, I would say that it was more misleading even than NMS 😂 ,(I was also caught a bit with one of those war videos that I have never seen in the game) I think that playing a lot of elite causes blindness.

"What happens in the beta stays in the beta"... Yeah… Well...

I really don't get it then, why FD doesn't lower the prices for FCs and services so more people get the opportunity to test them !?
Might be a good load test for all the player operated "stations", too...

So silly...

My 2 ct

"What happens in the beta stays in the beta"... Yeah… Well...

I really don't get it then, why FD doesn't lower the prices for FCs and services so more people get the opportunity to test them !?
Might be a good load test for all the player operated "stations", too...

So silly...

My 2 ct
In the first beta there were a ton of carriers, so I don't think volumes are going to be a problem. A large part of the testing needed (as others have already pointed out) is for visitors to carriers. If they lowered the price so everyone could own a carrier, there would probably be insufficient testing done on the visiting. When it comes to the main game in June, the vast majority of players are not going to own a carrier and are more likely instead to visit one, so it makes perfect sense that they'd want that area extensively tested. If you can't afford a carrier in the beta, you're most likely not going to be able to afford one in the main game either.

Not silly at all.

In the first beta there were a ton of carriers, so I don't think volumes are going to be a problem. A large part of the testing needed (as others have already pointed out) is for visitors to carriers. If they lowered the price so everyone could own a carrier, there would probably be insufficient testing done on the visiting. When it comes to the main game in June, the vast majority of players are not going to own a carrier and are more likely instead to visit one, so it makes perfect sense that they'd want that area extensively tested. If you can't afford a carrier in the beta, you're most likely not going to be able to afford one in the main game either.

Not silly at all.
Agree with this on the testing etc. It is worth noting though that in the Unofficial Beta 1Carrier Survey (released today) 40% of respondents said they had 5bn-10bn in cash. So, that translates to (tens of?) thousands of carriers, and although a majority won't have one, it might just be 2 out of 3 players that don't.

What is the point of another beta when many, many commanders (>60%!) cannot try it because of a dislike of pointless and dull grinding?

I tested a bit in beta 1, but there was nothing to test as most of the carriers were dead and forgotten after 3 days when I finally got round to joining.

p.s. I don't want one.

Only 9 pages of comments. Er FDEV this would concern me. It says volumes about people not taking part. I did the first BETA and disliked the Fleet Carriers for again the following reasons:
1. It is not a Fleet Carrier because it is a mobile market place. This is not needed on a Fleet Carrier.
2. You had to purchase for 500 M CR a ship yard to make it into a Fleet Carrier. Now this I find to be really weird.
3. Upkeep is an absolute joke. The NPC on the Carrier do very very little. So why pay them over the top for being bone idle. This alone will probably stop me from owning one.
4. Jump range only up to 500 LY. That is nothing and I say this as someone who has done a lot of exploring. Instead make it 1,000 LY and maybe it will be a useful item to own. But with my Anaconda with its 74.35 LY jump range I will easily beat the current 500 LY FC to say Sag A! This is mainly down to the need for refuelling with Mined Tritium. A massive grind fest joke. What happens when you land in a system with no icy rings? Jump around and try to find one with your miner ship?

I am not all negative about this idea. Not completely anyway.

A) The fact you did reduce a lot the over head costs went a small way to being what I and many others ask for which is Zero upkeep. 5 Million CR is a lot to ask for and still have upkeep. It is a daft idea for what I have stated above.
B) The fact you will make the Carto available is a good move. I wonder what it will cost explorers to put it on the FC?

That's it.

1. It is not a Fleet Carrier because it is a mobile market place. This is not needed on a Fleet Carrier.
2. You had to purchase for 500 M CR a ship yard to make it into a Fleet Carrier. Now this I find to be really weird.
3. Upkeep is an absolute joke. The NPC on the Carrier do very very little. So why pay them over the top for being bone idle. This alone will probably stop me from owning one.
A) The fact you did reduce a lot the over head costs went a small way to being what I and many others ask for which is Zero upkeep. 5 Million CR is a lot to ask for and still have upkeep. It is a daft idea for what I have stated above.
I fulli agree with these 👆

4. the need for refuelling with Mined Tritium. A massive grind fest joke. What happens when you land in a system with no icy rings? Jump around and try to find one with your miner ship?
The idea of mining Tritium is not bad per se.
The problem is the quantity required vs. time required vs. ships capacity:

My main concerns and possible solutions:

Purchasing Tritium in the bubble is still a big time investment. You pay for it and you still need to move it 1 by 1 with your ship from the station to the FC. This needs to go!
When I buy it from a station the Tritium should be directly transferred to the FC.
Alternatively it should be compacted (zipped) in bigger canister. So for example 10,000 units of Tritium can be stored in a 500 unit canister just for the transfer.

When I find a Tritium hotspot how many asteroids will have Tritium? If I only get 1 every 3 or 4 (like mining LTD in a triple hotspots) goodbye fun and welcome grind!
The quantity required is excessive compared to the average time required to mine commodities. Not everyone likes mining so when you have to spend hours to fill your tanks doing something you don't like there's no more fun so goodbye ED.
To keep Tritium mining reasonable it should be very common in hotspots. All asteroids should have a yield greater than 20%.
Core asteroids should be way more common. Every asteroid that reacts to the pulswave analyzer needs to have a Tritium core with more than 15 tritium units, so no false positive!!! This is just a waste of time.
1 hour of hard-core mining (so including laser, surface, sub-surface and deep-core) should allow anyone to fill the FC tanks (1000 units).

Fleet Carrier should have a Tritium Fuel Scoop optional module:

When the FC is parked on a planet orbit with an ice ring, the module will refill the FC with Tritium automatically. Slower compared to mining of course. Something that you do overnight or when you don't play the game (rate is 250 units every 6 hours).

New fuel scoop ship module to extract Tritium from ice rings:
this new module requires a big slot (6 for example). To scoop Tritium you need to fly in Supercruise within a maximum range from the ice ring (so very close without falling into it). It requires a minimum speed, so it can'be done in idle mode.

Fleet Carrier should have a Tritium Fuel Scoop optional module:
When the FC is parked on a planet orbit with an ice ring, the module will refill the FC with Tritium automatically. Slower compared to mining of course. Something that you do overnight or when you don't play the game (rate is 250 units every 6 hours).

New fuel scoop ship module to extract Tritium from ice rings:
this new module requires a big slot (6 for example). To scoop Tritium you need to fly in Supercruise within a maximum range from the ice ring (so very close without falling into it). It requires a minimum speed, so it can'be done in idle mode.
I assume in 1000 years drone mining ships would be clever enough to search for and if found then mine it autonomously. It would be a great opportunity to rob them as a pirate if there are no drone security ships. But hey... I've got that idea in 1 minute while writing. I wonder what the carrier guys did in the last two years. I thought there is coming something really elaborated, with work of a team, two team years at least, and I consider them at least to be 5 to 10 guys. Not something the two guys of the video could have made in the last three months out of the abandoned remnants of the first carrier approach. It looks as hastily done as the squadrons update. And it doesn't matches the carrier announcements in the past. It simply matches the later updates.

THAT is making me angry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom