Focused Feedback - Balancing Ship Engineering & Material Gathering

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Fixing engineer grind isnt the holy grail though. ED is full of annoyances of which engiiineeres is a major one. Overret time the game transitioned from fun gameplay to grindy gacha. Engineers is just the most prominent but little stuff like ships accelerating reverse as fast as fwd via boost mechanic is just as bad. All together it cements the feel off "turrets in space" an impression that was entirely different pre 2.1.
It doesn't.

Show me how you accelerate reverse during a boost, lmao
That isn't what he said. He's referring to what is commonly known around the community as 'reverski', which is achieved by first boosting and then turning flight-assist off while rotating your ship 180 degrees so that you are flying in reverse, at the full speed of the boost so long as your flight-assist remains off.

It's very gimmicky (and there's a reason many PvP types frown upon the tactic).

That isn't what he said. He's referring to what is commonly known around the community as 'reverski', which is achieved by first boosting and then turning flight-assist off while rotating your ship 180 degrees so that you are flying in reverse, at the full speed of the boost so long as your flight-assist remains off.

It's very gimmicky (and there's a reason many PvP types frown upon the tactic).
In its defence I'd say that it takes some skill (you have to aim weapons with FA off) and it's proper SF space behaviour. Having a pointy end shouldn't matter at all for a spaceship.

In its defence I'd say that it takes some skill (you have to aim weapons with FA off) and it's proper SF space behaviour. Having a pointy end shouldn't matter at all for a spaceship.

It is what it is, I'd just prefer consistency in terms of the game's rules of combat movement. To my mind, if I can't reverse with that normally, I shouldn't magically be able to by disabling a flight assistance computer.

It is what it is, I'd just prefer consistency in terms of the game's rules of combat movement. To my mind, if I can't reverse with that normally, I shouldn't magically be able to by disabling a flight assistance computer.
My beef is with the accelerration . NPC fly backwards too and they fly faster reverse than I can acceleratte fwd. Trying to close us moot and keeping distance is moot too because of the damage falloff

My beef is with the accelerration . NPC fly backwards too and they fly faster reverse than I can acceleratte fwd. Trying to close us moot and keeping distance is moot too because of the damage falloff

Damage falloff is something I would definitely look at changing with a combat balance overhaul; having the options being so binary between "knife fight" and then just using the Long Range engineering blueprint that removes falloff entirely just...is not very interesting. Adding to the problem is the slow velocities of most weapons that aren't multicannons - though that wasn't such an evident problem until Engineered thrusters came around. Power creep catch-22.

I am of the oppinion that all materials, comdeties and items for ship and foot, that are used in anyway as consumable.
Be that for unlocks, modifications, synthed rearms or anything else the player does.
Should all be sellable and purchaseable by the players to the players.
And not just via Fleetcarriers. As new players could profit enourmously from selling High grade materis used to synth AX stuff.
I know I would be paying in the 100s of millions for complition of an order/mission for mats.

Material traders could offer missions to complete orders for mats, those orders could be created by players. They could also alow creation of the missions.
FCs could then have a new service that facilitates the placement and completion of those orders/missions by players.

Obviously the rearm synthed ammo for a rebuy exploit would need removing.

Last edited:
As an other balance sugestion.
When NightVision™ was introduced it reduced the usefulness of SilentRunning™ as the player can always see where you are using NightVision™.

I would sugest making SilentRunning™ negate your ship showing up on someones NightVision™.

Damage falloff is something I would definitely look at changing with a combat balance overhaul; having the options being so binary between "knife fight" and then just using the Long Range engineering blueprint that removes falloff entirely just...is not very interesting. Adding to the problem is the slow velocities of most weapons that aren't multicannons - though that wasn't such an evident problem until Engineered thrusters came around. Power creep catch-22.
Yup, pretty much.

Another idea is to allow materials to be "bought" with items that are not obtainable at Commodities Markets. This could include things such as Exploration Data, Bounty Vouchers, Void Opals and Thargoid Hearts and would allow players to earn materials while playing within their chosen disciplines.
YES!!! This is exactly what I’ve always wanted! I’m an explorer starting out wanting to engineer my FSD. I usually have no trouble scanning and scooping things. HOWEVER, the raw material grind is horrible. You have to land on a planet, have your SRV, and mine for stuff. Makes me feel like trading my soul with the nearest material trader to get the materials instead… But with this idea in the game, I will be able to exchange the results of doing something I love into being able to do something I love even better.

YES!!! This is exactly what I’ve always wanted! I’m an explorer starting out wanting to engineer my FSD. I usually have no trouble scanning and scooping things. HOWEVER, the raw material grind is horrible. You have to land on a planet, have your SRV, and mine for stuff. Makes me feel like trading my soul with the nearest material trader to get the materials instead… But with this idea in the game, I will be able to exchange the results of doing something I love into being able to do something I love even better.
This guy gets it.

I am of the oppinion that all materials, comdeties and items for ship and foot, that are used in anyway as consumable.
Be that for unlocks, modifications, synthed rearms or anything else the player does.
Should all be sellable and purchaseable by the players to the players.
And not just via Fleetcarriers. As new players could profit enourmously from selling High grade materis used to synth AX stuff.
I know I would be paying in the 100s of millions for complition of an order/mission for mats.

Material traders could offer missions to complete orders for mats, those orders could be created by players. They could also alow creation of the missions.
FCs could then have a new service that facilitates the placement and completion of those orders/missions by players.

Obviously the rearm synthed ammo for a rebuy exploit would need removing.
Yeah, and I can't see a player-trading market as an economy breaker (the "b-b-b-b-but credit transfers!" ship sailed long ago and arguably wasn't really that much of a problem in the first place)

Worst case scenario for being able to buy/sell engineering materials or other items would be a situation like the mall in kingdom of loathing where, with the exception of no-longer-obtainable items ending up skyrocketing in price or outright not available for sale since collectors want to keep hold of what exists, everything eventually levels off at the price point where people go "sod paying that, it'd be less effort to just get one myself than it would to get the cash to pay for it".

The only real killer would be if, like the current implementation of bartenders, the price was capped at something so ridiculously low that nobody in their right mind would bother assembling a stockpile to sell.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom