Focused Feedback - Balancing Ship Engineering & Material Gathering

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
First of all, FDevs should totally overhaul the Elite economics and do something with useless billions in players Bank of Zaonce accounts.
Then, p2p trading of everything - creds, mats, ship and modules etc - will not be the issue.
The only part of the game where large amounts of credits matter competitively is if you're fast-tracking powerplay commodities.

Remove fast-tracking and replace it with a stockpile that gets incremented by your allowance every half-hour, capped at, say, 84 hours worth (ie. half a week).
If you want to wait until you've got a cutter-load banked and do them all in a single trip that's up to you.
Ability to pay credits would then be decoupled from the ability to deliver merits.

First of all, FDevs should totally overhaul the Elite economics and do something with useless billions in players Bank of Zaonce accounts.
Then, p2p trading of everything - creds, mats, ship and modules etc - will not be the issue.
As soon as Frontier would announce a change like that, players would be buying Cutters in the dozens. I don't think that would accomplish much on its own.

Who said that the ships will be cheap and accessible after the overhaul?
(btw, no one can buy Cutter without Imperial license/rank, ship's computer just will not accept the owner's change)

You’re not getting it. If there would be any artificial credit rebalancing coming, people would convert existing credits into cutters (or anacondas, whatever), so they can just sell them after the balance and be rich again.

Edit: Plus, who says you need to keep your credits in the Bank of Zaonce these days? You can keep them in the bank of your carrier.

Last edited:
You’re not getting it. If there would be any artificial credit rebalancing coming, people would convert existing credits into cutters (or anacondas, whatever), so they can just sell them after the balance and be rich again.
Now I get it.
Well...
Since everything in the game have hidden flags and properties, devs can do something against possible exploits.
Or just apply overhaul on ALL player assets. Like "collecting unpaid taxes".

Grinding my rear off for some game or being constant tried to scalp by other players - nah, I don't need that crap.

Greetings Commanders

Now that Update 8 for Odyssey is live, we'd like to reignite the series of balancing changes that started before Odyssey's release. Now, it's time to turn our attention to ship Engineering. We recognise there has been significant feedback for on-foot Engineering too, but we'd like to approach these one at a time due to the number of aspects involved. Specifically, we'd like to look at the balancing of the Engineering grind, which largely relates to...

Material Gathering

Availability and Time Required

To obtain them as fast as possible, materials within Grades 1 to 3 are typically traded down from Grade 4 and 5s. To make them worthwhile to gather by themselves, should their availability and the rate at which they are obtained be increased?

Similarly, Grade 5 materials can be traded down into 3 Grade 4 materials within the same category. However, Grade 4 and Grade 5 materials take similar amounts of time to gather. Should the number of materials picked up per instance be increased to account for this?

We're also aware that some materials are much harder to find than others as they are tied to rarer BGS states. Let us know which materials ought to be made more readily discoverable.

Any estimates regarding how long it took to earn a given Engineered module by gathering materials will also be helpful in addressing this aspect of balancing.

Alternate Gathering Methods

We appreciate that the repetitive nature of material gathering may not be for everyone. Some have called for ways to earn materials while engaging in the specific types of content they already enjoy.

We'd like to hear your feedback on the idea of unique missions offered by Engineers themselves. These could be repeatable and offer materials specific to the upgrades offered by the Engineer who issues them. Let us know what you think of this idea and how many materials this might offer relative to gathering the materials manually.

Another idea is to allow materials to be "bought" with items that are not obtainable at Commodities Markets. This could include things such as Exploration Data, Bounty Vouchers, Void Opals and Thargoid Hearts and would allow players to earn materials while playing within their chosen disciplines.

Rolling for Engineering Improvements

Some time ago, Engineering was changed so that some improvement was guaranteed with each roll. However, the amount by which your progress towards the next module grade is still random. This means sometimes the same number of materials will produce a minimal increase. Should this be changed so that the same number of materials are always required to reach the next tier? This would allow Commanders to know exactly how many materials are needed.

Other Feedback and Suggestions

Feel free to respond with other ship Engineering balancing feedback and suggestions that go beyond the ideas mentioned above. To keep the conversation on-topic and help us collect the feedback, this thread will be closely moderated. Please only reply with responses to the topics mentioned and keep feedback constructive. Unrelated or unhelpful posts may be removed during clean-up. If you find this has happened to your post, consider raising your points in another thread within the Dangerous Discussion section.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

O7
So what's going on with this ?Any news when ,or if we ALL( console and p.c. ) will get this,if ever ?

Edit: Plus, who says you need to keep your credits in the Bank of Zaonce these days? You can keep them in the bank of your carrier.
Even now you only get what you paid for it.
You dont get what its selling for at the location.

I dont see how that would be any diffrent after an overhaul.

As soon as Frontier would announce a change like that, players would be buying Cutters in the dozens. I don't think that would accomplish much on its own.
IMHO. Players, if they want to, can buy Imperial Cutters by the dozens. It depends on what the player's objective is. It's not good to bring myself as an example, but I have more than 20 Imperial Cutters, just because I don't want to redesign the ship, but take a ready-made one for the task. What's wrong with having a ship prepared for combat, research with fleet carrier, armed truck, unarmed truck, multi-purpose, and so on? If you like the ship, it's no problem to have as many of them as you need, and where you see fit. That's not the problem.

IMHO. Players, if they want to, can buy Imperial Cutters by the dozens. It depends on what the player's objective is. It's not good to bring myself as an example, but I have more than 20 Imperial Cutters, just because I don't want to redesign the ship, but take a ready-made one for the task. What's wrong with having a ship prepared for combat, research with fleet carrier, armed truck, unarmed truck, multi-purpose, and so on? If you like the ship, it's no problem to have as many of them as you need, and where you see fit. That's not the problem.
And when the market is saturated after a short time everything goes back to what it whas before. It's kinda a one-time solution that doesn't fix anything in the long run.

And when the market is saturated after a short time everything goes back to what it whas before. It's kinda a one-time solution that doesn't fix anything in the long run.
IMHO. Don't forget that a working working working life-size papier-mâché replica of the universe has yet to be made. The economy in the Elite is not without problems, but in some ways it works. But the Game of Powers...
:)

IMHO. Don't forget that a working working working life-size papier-mâché replica of the universe has yet to be made. The economy in the Elite is not without problems, but in some ways it works. But the Game of Powers...
:)
There are unlimited ships on the market and players would just add their ships to that unlimited market. They already offer unlimited ships at their carriers, why would anyone buy a ship off a player except for exploits?

Sorry i disagree , to be given a fully engineered ship with no time invested in game isn't what elite is about ? It's your journey . The beauty of elite is that it isn't finished in a day or if you know the right people . If you want it now and quickly Elite isn't the game you want to play. This is why it's a niche game and why people are passionate about the games . The old engineering you had to understand what you were looking for and engineer for it , The triple Elite was held in regard by many because it took time , look at it now engineering is just standard upgrades with no idea about what actually affected and why. Two of the elites are rendered easy and the new prestige ranks were a slap in the face , it's not perfect but don't make it too easy .

There are unlimited ships on the market and players would just add their ships to that unlimited market. They already offer unlimited ships at their carriers, why would anyone buy a ship off a player except for exploits?
This unlimited number of ships is not available everywhere, and far from it. Shinrarta is a special case. But the ships that are there are always a full list in a very limited number of places. Add to these places for sale with Fleet Carrier But ships that are there are always a full list in a very limited number of places. Adding something to these locations for sale with Fleet Carrier that is not available in that particular location, is that a bad idea?

Buy Anaconda with Fleet Carrier "Hutton Orbital" support the legend :) Joke

Last edited:
I've 14 fully engineered ships took me almost a year to do.
Some of em I would like to sell as their pretty much the same as others I've got but with different weps all g5 of course. And I've grown accustomed to a certain combination of weps which work for me.
I'd like the option to sell em. To other cmdrs. But their worth billions hehe.
So as long as the price is right I think cmdrs should have the option to sell em on their carriers.
That's end game content is it not.
But the big problem isn't that.
It's credits.
Their worthless! Whats the point having credits once you've got a few billions already?
That's the problem with elite. Nothing to spend it on.
No new ships no new modules just the same stale old stable we've had for over what is it now, 7 years?
Why oh why they don't introduce new ships, is beyond me.
There needs to be more stuff to buy. Basically.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom