Forum Upgrade

I haven't found the dedicated salt mine section yet. It used to be here, where this thread was posted. Mind showing me the way?

You're looking for either: Worlds of Elite->Modes of Elite (which is supposed cover Oper/Solo/PG - that's some great creative and intuitive section naming right there, well done FD), or Features of Elite->PvP

Brett C

Frontier
That's nearly an ETA. You're slipping Brett :p
Uh oh... that might be a bad thing. [big grin]

Wow, you guys are really leaving vBulletin? I look forward to seeing what the new forums will be like!
Ultimately comes down to when XenForo2 goes to a stable release. Once that happens, we'll begin the work there.

Hmmm, edit not working on my tablet. Will need to watch for autocorrect more closely.

Edit: ah - it's just desktop view on tablet where edit is broken. Even better, it's just if you "request desktop site" from browser, works ok switching to "full site" from mobile view - I heart technology.

And the encoding for emoticons is broken ��
You may need to use the standard editor mode rather the WYSIWYG editor. If you're using Chrome mobile, they recently began (in the past year anyways) stripping out workarounds for common HTML "whoopsies" - few of those whoopsies exist on the vBulletin default WYSIWYG editor.

I was expecting a dedicated legs sub-forum
One can wish and hope, right? :p

Is this the 2.4 update? Lol
Oh dang, you got us... 2.4 update was the forums, jokes on you guys! :x

Hmmm is there a change log for the forum update? .... Im just failing to find a way to get back to the night mode.... All this white is jarring.
If mobile theme reactivated, click "Full Site" at the bottom center, then scroll back to the bottom on the desktop themes and select a theme from the bottom left.

Would it be possible to include Exploration in "Features of Elite?" The new arrangement is an improvement on the original but it still seems misplaced where it is at present.
Will consider it.

My eyes, as I look at my phone, thank you. Trying to deal with a forum that doesn’t have a dedicated mobile layout was actually painful...this is so much better.
Do note the vbulletin mobile theme is not supported, and whatever supported features it has, are given as is. It was turned back on by request.

Actually, any forum ID over 200 are new forums. Every other forum was either a move or rename.

In the upper section: Aliens, PvP, Modes of Elite and News Bulletins are new additions.

In the lower section, we now have an extension to the Player Tools and API Discussions section.

I really wonder how many people will bother with having to track multiple sub forums with minimal participation in them where their contributions are just going to gather dust? A general channel was/is superior.
Dangerous Discussion will still exist. It's not going anywhere. Bumping other forums up and organizing them was the key goal.

As I said in the other thread they keep redirecting everyone to... I hate these changes.

It was easier to just bookmark Dangerous Discussion and use it to one click to the canonn thread, or see the latest pvp vids / news / ganks, now everything has too many sub forums and it's not worth the effort to bother going there since most of us will just keep using Dangerous Discussion as before, if anything the mods just gave themselves MORE work with all the threads they will have to constantly move around.

These forums, all but a few, existed well before these changes.

Ultimately, vBulletin is just showing it's age. They always seem to end up in some crazy hierarchical structure. Hopefully the replacement will be well considered; vBulletin has it's flaws, but it does handle threaded discussion pretty well. There are some real shockers out there as alternatives; it's possible to end up with something far worse.

Problem with a catch-all forum, threads would FLY through the DD forum daily. Even after bumping threads shown per page to 50 - it simply went to the point of "why bother" for new users.

A side effect to the forum organization that is showing this morning is that the server load has been halved, which may allow for snappier page load times.

I only look at the forum via the 'New Posts' button, to get everything updated since I last visited - everything looks the same to me, right? It's organisational changes to the forums and groups only?

Correct, if you view https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/29-Elite-Dangerous - you can see all the relocated (and a few additions) forums there.

Actually, I just noticed a small issue. FoE, WoE, and DD are all sharing the same organization ID of 10. Will tweak those.

Looks the same to me allbeit with some new sub sections, PVP slapped the ignore section on that...

You can ignore sections? Nice!
Yes I like the new format and the new/many sub forums - makes everything easier.
Toxic threads in the "Mode" or "PvP" forum, Alien spoiler threads in Alien thread...looks just fine to me.

You can ignore sections? Nice!
Yes I like the new format and the new/many sub forums - makes everything easier.
Toxic threads in the "Mode" or "PvP" forum, Alien spoiler threads in Alien thread...looks just fine to me.

Go to the section in question then its forum tools/ignore..Ive had the Xbox one on ignore for a while now due to some ashhattery over there onnce now I dont see any posts from that forum. Just hoppeing as it was pointed out a lot in the last sdc thread that two ships shooting each other allbeit one with no guns is pvp that those sort of threads will end up in the pvp section. :)

I really wonder how many people will bother with having to track multiple sub forums with minimal participation in them where their contributions are just going to gather dust? A general channel was/is superior.

Dangerous Discussion will still exist. It's not going anywhere. Bumping other forums up and organizing them was the key goal.

@Jason, I shared your concerns, most especially about the spectre of brisk forced movement of new threads out of DD removing a topical central hub for 'Everything relating to Elite Dangerous.'

However this morning I've had a positive exchange with Brett here...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...into-morning-of-the-26th?p=5944895&highlight=

...which hopefully indicates that's not the intention and that many new DD threads can still expect a reasonable starting life there, even if subsequently moved out to the appropriate sub if they become long running.

I found Discussion! Capital D. I'm not going to declare I found discussion on a forum. That would be a little daft.

But this is not unlike coming home and finding your girlfriend has been rearranging all furniture. Takes a while to get used to.

I see you are slowly coming to the realization that Elite is really a single player game and all the MMO add-ons are just to bump sales... Solo mode is how the game is played and the forums will evolve to reflect that fact.

Where is my NPC crew then? :)

Why do I get the tone that the PvP crowd is not happy having their own forum?
Really hope it's not some "troll, bait, shock, and salt" thing.

The real forum upgrade (something that's not vBulletin) wont be until late 2017/early 2018 right now.

This update was for forum layout, prepping for the long run of the community, and for the forum upgrades later on.

You gave out *real* information?!? :)

Well, seems to me that if they genuinely want to have interesting and informed discussions about PvP then they should be delighted.

It's the small subset that want to do nothing but troll that are going to be put out by this. Still, never mind eh?

That's the nail on the head, alright. :D

I, for one, welcome our new PvE overlords...

Top Bottom