“Free” ARX: Broken by Design. Fix Inside.

I don’t think that’s a good idea. The game has way too many situations when “normal” gameplay has you doing literally nothing for extended periods of time (flying out to mission signal sources, flying out to that high-profit station, flying out to those high-paying worlds to map, sitting next to an asteroid waiting for your limpets to finish collecting, …)

The second you start adding conditions to the “x ARX/h” formula, you get back into the complexity rabbit hole you just got yourself out of.

I think there has to be a way to combat inactivity. Because if not then it would really happen that people just logged into the game and left it for X amount of hours to get their weekly ARX. It would be a pointless system. Yes, there would be activities where ARX generation would stop but it would still be a much better system than we have today. And honestly there are not that many instances. Most supercruise travels don't last longer than a few minutes, so it would be tolerable. (Make the inactivity condition 2 minutes, or 5 minutes even and the effect would be mostly negated). Yet what we have today is you play normally for hours and barely get anything at all. The weekly cap is quite low as it is (and understandably so), it should be made relatively simple to reach it for averagely active players. But right now it often feels insulting, quitting after many hours only to see you get barely a few units.

It's quite incredible to be honest, how Frontier can misjudge and develop everything so badly. They must have all the data in the world about our playstyles, who does what and for how long, and what it takes. Why they couldn't come up with a simpler and more balanced system is absolutely beyond me.

it is normal that it is capped, in the opposite case certain it will find quickly to buy, or rather afford the whole catalog. The goal of ARK is not to offer us all in a few months, or even in a few years, Frontier still hopes to sell cosmetics.

now if it is to balance how to get ARK why not, in any case, I can write that doing exploration is less profitable than doing improvements engineers.

So, let’s please not forget how incredibly broken the “free” ARX thing is over the Crap Credits™ outrage. The current design of earning ARX for certain actions in-game is horribly unfair and a nightmare to balance properly, if that’s even possible at all.

Here are some of the problems involved:

• How and to what extent you earn your “free” ARX is not disclosed to the public. The only thing that effectively does is lead to lots of confusion and anger until some players put in the time to reverse engineer how the system works. More transparent == better. Period. If you can’t disclose how it works because you fear it will be abused, the system is broken. If you do it properly, it can’t be abused; or rather, “abusing” it would be doing what you intend the “free” ARX to encourage players to do.
  • Exploration payouts are broken by design; I’m assuming other professions aren’t much better, but I don’t dabble in them too often. I scanned / mapped some systems on the way back from a long range rat rescue. Gathering ~22 mill in data gave me 47 ARX. Selling the data gave me 175 ARX. That means that you are being shafted on weekly “free” ARX income if you are exploring out in the black for long amounts of time. Additionally and much worse it encourages you to hold on to your data and sell it in weekly chunks when you come back to not “lose out” on your “free” ARX. And to not play in between because you might lose your several billion in data and thousands of things that won’t have your name on them. That’s the opposite of what the “free” ARX were intended to do: incentivise you to play more and more regularly.
  • At least for combat I’ve heard (careful, second hand information) that you do not get ARX for killing players in PvP. You do, however, get ARX for dying. Double-U Tee Eff⁉
  • The fastest and least involved way to gain your “free” ARX was to buy an expensive module and immediately sell it again x40. Bam, 400 ARX. That has now apparently been badly patched. The next fastest way will be found momentarily.
  • On the other hand, earning your weekly cap the “legit” way is basically impossible right now – unless, again, you know what to do to exploit the system.
  • I don’t know if many of you guys noticed, but when the store went down on patch day, you couldn’t earn ARX by playing until the store was back up. No comment.
Feel free to add more bullet points to this list below. I’m sure there are a couple dozen more. All of the above are inherent problems with the design of the weekly “free” ARX. You won’t fix them by adjusting some numbers.

Now, for the fix. You will never be able to properly balance a billion ways to gain ARX by playing the game. There will always be a way to cheese it for players that want to do so or simply don’t have the time it takes to find out how best to do it in a “proper” way. The current desgin, however you will tune the rewards, will always be an overly complicated mess. Replace it with something much more simple, yet transparent and true to the design goal of “free” ARX: to make people play more, and more regularly.

Give people ARX for playing the game, no matter how they are playing it.

Have a daily login bonus (e.g. 20 ARX/day) and give people ARX for time played (e.g. 1 ARX/minute). You can easily tweak the numbers there to reflect how much time you want players to have to put in for it. No cheesing. No exploiting. No confusion about what to do to actually get your “free” ARX. Simple, yet effective.

Yes, you will get people that will login and just idle for a couple hours. Those are the same people that will find the exploits for your current system, you won’t get them to play nice anyway. But that won’t give them any advantage over just playing, and the rest of the community can benefit from a clean set of rules.

Thoroughly disagree. Time played and daily login bonuses are a terrible idea. They are the thing I feared when FD first announced Arx. That's not earning them by playing the game as far as I'm concerned.

I can also add that if the limit of 400 ARK is fixed to the week, it is obvious that the gain is not fast enough, it is necessary to play often or know the tricks, impossible to reach the ceiling for those who play 4-5 hours per week.

Is it really so offensive to people that someone else was able to earning their 25p worth a little bit faster?
Making bad design decisions, especially if they are way more complex and complicated than simpler ones, then badly implementing them is offensive to me. Stop straw manning.

I think there has to be a way to combat inactivity. Because if not then it would really happen that people just logged into the game and left it for X amount of hours to get their weekly ARX.

So what? There will always be some people that exploit the system in some way. And it’s not even a problem per se; they logged in, they increased the player count, FDev is happy.

It would be a pointless system.
It can’t be, because you get ARX POINTS :D

Most supercruise travels don't last longer than a few minutes, so it would be tolerable. (Make the inactivity condition 2 minutes, or 5 minutes even and the effect would be mostly negated).
See, you are making it more complicated again. For no reason. Keep it simple, stupid!

I made 193 in 2 hours yesterday.

I also played 2 hours one day and got 23 ARX. Then the next day I also played around 2 hours and got 13. See, this is why the system is flawed. Why was your gameplay worth almost ten times as much as mine? This is why it needs to be balanced somehow.

You have a weird definition of “playing the game” if it’s not “load the game and do something”.

It's not my definition of "playing the game" that's different, it's my definition of "earning while playing" that includes activity only, and wholly excludes time-played and simply logging in.

out of all the arguments i’m leaning towards a timer based system.

mining 9 to 5, space truckin’, pioneering the void, bounty hunting, sight seeing, burning donuts in scarab... spaghetti script will never get the nuances of everybody's playstyles right.

X timer + Y login bonus

idc
if someone sits in the hangar, they're still helping inflate the numbers raising the games rank... that’s better than paid advertisements!

... Don't you have anything else more important to spend your limited mortal days on?

If there is one immutable fact of internet forum-hood, it's that the answer to that question is always "no".

Unbelievable the number of threads dedicated to griping about this compete non-issue.

Last edited:
I also played 2 hours one day and got 23 ARX. Then the next day I also played around 2 hours and got 13. See, this is why the system is flawed. Why was your gameplay worth almost ten times as much as mine? This is why it needs to be balanced somehow.
I agree it needs to be better balanced. I was a bit tricky. I had exploration data and bounties left over from last cycle that I didn't cash in. I waited until after the cycle to give myself a boost, but 120 of it did come from the session. I was testing if selling my mined goods 1T at a time would increase my arx gain; apparently it did, but I don't recommend doing it. I just did it for science.

The best resolution is to ditch the free arx.
It's worth losing about 12p / month worth of store credit to stop people from constantly banging on about it.

Unbelievable the number of threads dedicated to griping about this compete non-issue.

“non-issue”

sounds like another generic response blinded by superfandom for a product another consumer may have experienced a problem with.

The best resolution is to ditch the free arx.
It's worth losing about 12p / month worth of store credit to stop people from constantly banging on about it.

loyalty ARX just aren’t worth the increase in server population?

why stop there? i’ll do you one better;

best resolution is to pull the plug...

game has reached end of life.

“non-issue”

sounds like another generic response blinded by superfandom for a product another consumer may have experienced a problem with.

No, it sounds like something that is not an issue. a 'non-issue' if you will. Items can purchased from the store whenever you want the items. If you play the game some items will be discounted or some smaller items free. The company gives up revenue to reward certain actions within the game. This is not an issue. There are 'complaints', but then people, being people, will find complaints to voice in absolutely anything that anyone does for any reason they do it. It doesn't make the thing done 'an issue'.

Top Bottom