“Free” ARX: Broken by Design. Fix Inside.

Don't agree with making it time-based.

I think what we have now is fine.

I don't like that explorer ARX accumulate on data sale though, that's a bit rough on the long term explorers, and as someone else says almost encourages delayed exploration data sales.

I think a fix should be applied for explorers.

So far..

Fdev: You will be able to earn ARX
Community: No one knows how to earn them, it needs to be clearer so I can max out on free ones without changing how I play the game.

What could happen..

Fdev: Here’s a breakdown of how ARX are earned.
Community: Wow! How I play the game gets the lowest!

Later..

Fdev: We’ve rebalanced it, here are the figures.
Community: I’m maxing out too easy, the cap needs to be higher.

Later...

Fdev: We’ve raised the cap.
Community: ARX are worthless.

Oh it's real. If you check my recent posts you'll see the painful way it was achieved. I don't recommend it.
Ah yes, that one. I tried it with trade goods but didn't see that effect. Though I was selling in bunches of 1 mil profit each, as I couldn't face your method :)

Easiest to synth all your limpets - assuming limpets pay arx like other synths :ROFLMAO::unsure:

@Ian Doncaster that was one of many ranking sites i pulled out of a top hit on a quick search. example: rankings are a thing, steam numbers are a thing. to think rewarding gameplay doesn’t help inflate whatever those numbers are is willful ignorance. i'm not going down the rabbit hole of how they all inconsistently do it. because chances are they’re prolly using the same spaghetti scripts where players fall through the cracks. just. like. this. ARX. reward. system... *full circle back to what this thread is about! tada!

whatever “arguments” the naysayers have can be distilled down to; it doesn’t bother me so it shouldn’t bother you. there’s no substance...

next time i’m low on fuel maybe i can swing by this thread to fuel scoop all that empty hot air.

# all playstyles matter

Last edited:
Since Frontier don't advertise the numeric server population anywhere, and someone sitting AFK in a hangar in Solo isn't providing any of the actual benefits of increased population like "you might see another player" or "the BGS gets more inputs" or "they might be enjoying the game and telling their friends"... why would it be worth Frontier's time to take actions solely to maximise the server population in itself?

They already showed they cant handle population spikes, see DW2 launch. So ARX isnt there to increase that.

It's purely aimed at whales and is a marketing trick to warp the value perception of some store items. Colour tweaks on an existing texture or effect is still pretty low effort for a buck and incredibly greedy from Frontier. But hey, you can still mod textures in local without being shadow banned amirite, so all is fine.

All this fuss and analysis about a 400 Arx limit that converts to £0.20p GBP discount per week... If people's lives depend on finding the optimum way to earn 20 pence over seven days there must be something wrong somewhere.
It's just fun to test the system. The actual value is not the point. This is not to say I won't abuse any knowledge gained. That is the entire point of knowledge after all.

Part of the point is that a system that is hard to understand is bad.
Reality is bad by that definition.

It does sound like ARX for exploration needs to be tweaked, due to explorers by definition being away from port. I think this would go a long ways towards soothing people's gripes.

But hitting the cap is really easy in other areas, say combat. I did it without really trying in a few days the first week. I'm about to do it again this week. I don't play a lot either. Of course, my system is very efficient and I'm mowing through dozens of NPCs per hour.

Exploration getting ARX for jumping/fueling and scans is too low though it's still not clear exactly what scans they are being given for.

Last week I ran a little experiment - I'm currently out in the black, nowhere near a dock, so I decided to note down time played, jumps, distance, mapped planets and arx earned. Here's the result:

Not only I got less than 5 arx per hour on average, I can't even suspect what gives arx and what doesn't. Compare monday 23rd and tuesday 24th: I covered more distance on tuesday, mapped more planets, played longer, earned less arx...

All this fuss and analysis about a 400 Arx limit that converts to £0.20p GBP discount per week... If people's lives depend on finding the optimum way to earn 20 pence over seven days there must be something wrong somewhere.

Yeah, it's small change, no argument here. But it's a bit annoying when ways of earning it are so badly out of balance, especially when it's your preferred playstyle getting the worst.

Official FAQ states "we'll be taking into account all the different playstyles Commanders have when making any final decisions". It's weird they seemingly forgot about long range explorers with Distant Worlds 2 taking place quite recently. Or maybe that's how they decided to get even for crashing their servers during first mass launch...

Or maybe I'm playing the game wrong, who knows.

View attachment 145463

Not only I got less than 5 arx per hour on average, I can't even suspect what gives arx and what doesn't. Compare monday 23rd and tuesday 24th: I covered more distance on tuesday, mapped more planets, played longer, earned less arx...
There is a strong correlation between HMC, jumps and ARXs

HMC
90%​
R
-17%​
WW
58%​
WWT
-14%​
AW
77%​
ELW
-34%​
Distance
81%​
Jump
89%​
Time
83%​
Money
85%​

I have no problem with the way ARX works, but hey. Some people do.
The part about ARX I abhor is that Paint jobs and livery is busted. (maybe not for everyone)
I fork out about 7 or 8 thousand ARX and get nothing.
A bunch of other CMDRs have admitted that this has happened to them recently.

There is a strong correlation between HMC, jumps and ARXs

HMC
90%​
R
-17%​
WW
58%​
WWT
-14%​
AW
77%​
ELW
-34%​
Distance
81%​
Jump
89%​
Time
83%​
Money
85%​

It used to be simple, you got 1 ARX for every 5 jumps. Now you get ARX for Jumponiun use, scanning certain bodies, codex entries and etc. It all happened because people complained about the way ARX were earned for exploration, to get 400 ARX you had to keep jumping and never stop and look at anything. Now however it's completely irrelevant how you get them while exploring, I only have to drop in to my carrier just once a week and turn in my explo data and there's my 400 ARX!

Top Bottom