Free Update Meta-Wishlist

After all things like keeper mode are also listed
That's probably my fault, there was a list of say 300 suggestions so I was blindly adding them all without thinking of any potential problems. I only started to notice the issue when I started to get 2 versions of renaming animals - one lot of generic names and another lot of full subspecies names like the lion has. This zookeeper mode and eggs laying is definitely going to be moved into this controversial category as I don't want to rule them out, but the opinions regarding both are generally negative needs to be displayed clearly.

Last edited:
That could be my fault, there was a list of say 300 suggestions so I was blindly adding them all without thinking of any potential problems. I only started to notice the issue when I started to get 2 versions of renaming animals - one lot of generic names and another lot of full subspecies names like the lion has.
I wouldnt call it your fault, its not up to you to do quality controll and in general nobody should tell anybody what they can or cant wish for.
The point wasnt that i want keeper mode to be removed from the list, but that aslong as its not absolutly impossible every suggestion should be okay for the list, no matter how unrealistic it is aslong as it sticks by the guidelines.

Don't know if this was mentioned or not, but:

• Jaguars should have the desert (and temperate?) tag - historically, they were found in Arizona and north Texas. Even today, stray jaguars are found in Arizona area
  • Alligators should have tropical tag - they're found in swamps, marshes, coasts, and the Everglades. They should be able to tolerate higher temperatures. In fact, they're found in cold areas, too, or at least areas that freeze over in winter, so let them tolerate a bit colder temperatures
  • Allow salties to have multiple members in enclosure - unless I'm mistaking them with another species, everytime I see an enclosure with saltwater crocodiles (in a video or something), there are multiple crocs, not just 2
  • More colormorphs - I might've mentioned these already, but just in case, here:
    • White variant for the gray wolf. They exist in real-life and aren't just Arctic wolves
    • More peafowl variations
    • More alligator variations
    • Dingo colormorphs
    • Spotless giraffe - yes, only 1 is known in existence, but it's known, so it'd be kinda nice to have

Last edited:
Don't know if this was mentioned or not, but:

• Jaguars should have the desert (and temperate?) tag - historically, they were found in Arizona and north Texas. Even today, stray jaguars are found in Arizona area
  • Alligators should have tropical tag - they're found in swamps, marshes, coasts, and the Everglades. They should be able to tolerate higher temperatures. In fact, they're found in cold areas, too, or at least areas that freeze over in winter, so let them tolerate a bit colder temperatures
  • Allow salties to have multiple members in enclosure - unless I'm mistaking them with another species, everytime I see an enclosure with saltwater crocodiles (in a video or something), there are multiple crocs, not just 2
  • More colormorphs - I might've mentioned these already, but just in case, here:
    • White variant for the gray wolf. They exist in real-life and aren't just Arctic wolves
    • More peafowl variations
    • More alligator variations
    • Dingo colormorphs
    • Spotless giraffe - yes, only 1 is known in existence, but it's known, so it'd be kinda nice to have
Yeah your peafowl colormorph vote was merged into a general 'more colormorphs' suggestion as there were quite a few requests of random animals receiving more.

The saltwater crocodile suggestion is correct, the zoopedia states just up to 2 per habitat which should definitely be increased, and more tags for animals always welcome - so far there is one vote for the jaguar desert tag.

Last edited:
I see zoo keeper mode is controversial
Not really a surprise, like many controversial "nonsensical" wishes its mostly pushed for due to zoo tycoon nostalgia.
You see it with animal choices, where many animals like the ehtopian wolf or japanese serow that have no reason to be even part of the discussion being mentioned just due to nostalgia and others like the secretary bird also greatly benefitting from the fact that it was in zoo tycoon first.
And i mean i get the idear, there is a first person mode and taking care of the animals yourself is cool and something many people would like to do irl + it has been done before so why not?
Well several reasons actually.
For one, it doesnt really fit with the current gameplay. Unlike Zoo Tycoon 2 Planet zoo is about Building first, animals second and then a loooooooong gap to management and anything else, which in some aspects is a shame. Things like the Zoo Tycoon 2 Missions, Random Events, Star rating unlocking animals or emphasis on taking screenshots of the animals all fit into the management gameplay and would help with Planet Zoos pacing problems, as just building is quite exhausting so some smaller management for inbetween to take a breather is quite nice.
Thats why i for example would very much love a camera feature for the game, with an ingame gallery to look at your pictures, because the game popping up inbetween and going like "Hey you want some extra conservation credits by watching your cute animals and photographing them doing specific things?" would be a nice shake up that wouldnt be to hard to add, as the function to take a picture of your screen is literally baked into the hardware your running the game on.
So whats the difference with the keeper mode? To keep it short, money and devolpment time are the biggest reasons. It shouldnt be to hard for frontier to put a gloriphied screenshot gallery into the game, meanwhile keeper mode would actually do need some effort.
Keeper Mode needs atleast somewhat resembling a gameplay loop, atleast i doubt being able to press e to refill a food bin and using a poop scoop to scoop some poop would satisfy anyone while also creating theoretical game ballance issues as you dont need staff or atleast reduced staff if you do a tedious job instead yourself.
So what would that gameplay loop look like?
If you ask me, something thats in anyway desireable would look more like a small minigame collection in planet zoo. You can interact with different staff facilitys and do some mini games, while also pressing e to refill food and scooping poop on the side.
Lets say in the keeper hut you can prepare meat, fruit, fish, hay and/or water with small actions, cooking mama style. Cut the meat by sliding the mouth, pluck the salad, cut the fish in a different pattern, chop some fruits and vegies by rhytmically tapping, filling the water bucket juuuust right, you get the deal.
The break room could be a quizz, the vet could be spot the difference between a healthy pic and your ill animal, security office scrolling through the zoos cameras trying to find a wrong doer, you get the idear.
Now with that said, all these mini games would need new menus, ui, backgrounds, etc etc etc, but for what?
For people to play them once or twice to grow bored and never touch them again?
Planet Zoo is a building + management game that also attracts animal nerds, and as someone who likes all three of those things, a halfbaked minigame collection still doesnt sound appealing, something less even more so.
People are annoyed at frontier all the time when an update didnt have anything "for them" in it, with many features like the height maps, dinoramas or camera tours often being dismissed, but now imagine an update with literally nothing but some minigames that add nothing to the actual building or management part of the game, making this a dead update for everyone that does not like them or doesnt think that they are worthwhile.
It would easily be one of the biggest and most ambitious updates for whats essentially a gimmick people ask for out of nostalgia for a 20 + year old game.

Now imagine all this effort would instead be put into different exhibit sizes or animal personalitys, something literally everybody could get on board with.

Not really a surprise, like many controversial "nonsensical" wishes its mostly pushed for due to zoo tycoon nostalgia.
You see it with animal choices, where many animals like the ehtopian wolf or japanese serow that have no reason to be even part of the discussion being mentioned just due to nostalgia and others like the secretary bird also greatly benefitting from the fact that it was in zoo tycoon first.
And i mean i get the idear, there is a first person mode and taking care of the animals yourself is cool and something many people would like to do irl + it has been done before so why not?
For one, it doesnt really fit with the current gameplay. Unlike Zoo Tycoon 2 Planet zoo is about Building first, animals second and then a loooooooong gap to management and anything else, which in some aspects is a shame. Things like the Zoo Tycoon 2 Missions, Random Events, Star rating unlocking animals or emphasis on taking screenshots of the animals all fit into the management gameplay and would help with Planet Zoos pacing problems, as just building is quite exhausting so some smaller management for inbetween to take a breather is quite nice.
Thats why i for example would very much love a camera feature for the game, with an ingame gallery to look at your pictures, because the game popping up inbetween and going like "Hey you want some extra conservation credits by watching your cute animals and photographing them doing specific things?" would be a nice shake up that wouldnt be to hard to add, as the function to take a picture of your screen is literally baked into the hardware your running the game on.
So whats the difference with the keeper mode? To keep it short, money and devolpment time are the biggest reasons. It shouldnt be to hard for frontier to put a gloriphied screenshot gallery into the game, meanwhile keeper mode would actually do need some effort.
Keeper Mode needs atleast somewhat resembling a gameplay loop, atleast i doubt being able to press e to refill a food bin and using a poop scoop to scoop some poop would satisfy anyone while also creating theoretical game ballance issues as you dont need staff or atleast reduced staff if you do a tedious job instead yourself.
If you ask me, something thats in anyway desireable would look more like a small minigame collection in planet zoo. You can interact with different staff facilitys and do some mini games, while also pressing e to refill food and scooping poop on the side.
Lets say in the keeper hut you can prepare meat, fruit, fish, hay and/or water with small actions, cooking mama style. Cut the meat by sliding the mouth, pluck the salad, cut the fish in a different pattern, chop some fruits and vegies by rhytmically tapping, filling the water bucket juuuust right, you get the deal.
The break room could be a quizz, the vet could be spot the difference between a healthy pic and your ill animal, security office scrolling through the zoos cameras trying to find a wrong doer, you get the idear.
Now with that said, all these mini games would need new menus, ui, backgrounds, etc etc etc, but for what?
Planet Zoo is a building + management game that also attracts animal nerds, and as someone who likes all three of those things, a halfbaked minigame collection still doesnt sound appealing, something less even more so.
People are annoyed at frontier all the time when an update didnt have anything "for them" in it, with many features like the height maps, dinoramas or camera tours often being dismissed, but now imagine an update with literally nothing but some minigames that add nothing to the actual building or management part of the game, making this a dead update for everyone that does not like them or doesnt think that they are worthwhile.
It would easily be one of the biggest and most ambitious updates for whats essentially a gimmick people ask for out of nostalgia for a 20 + year old game.

Now imagine all this effort would instead be put into different exhibit sizes or animal personalitys, something literally everybody could get on board with.
Also, mr callum take this as a vote for an ingame photo mode thank you

I have not had the time to read it all in detail but I believe warthogs have not been mentioned for an update.
The red river hogs have proven Frontier can make stiff pig hair that looks very realistic. Which is especially needed for the iconic (usually dark) hair down their back
Warthog-1920x768.jpg

Our current Warthog model's haircut looks more like this:
C05TSg9WEAAXi3b.jpg:large

And as seen in the pic above (the top one, not Billy Ray), we need a light grey variant. While wild warthogs in Africa can be reddish, I have never seen (in real life or pictures) a warthog in captivity having a reddish color. While I can't find proof of it, I believe the red color in the wild is a result of African sand/mud.

Wild warthog clearly covered in red mud:
1200px-Southern_warthog_%28Phacochoerus_africanus_sundevallii%29_male.jpg

Wild warthog with more clean-looking skin, looking grey like those in zoos:
hartebeest-red-warthog-african-natural-color-cow-drinking-water-photo-taken-game-ranch-namibia-africa-30650318.jpg

I'm not suggesting we remove the red/brown variants, we just need an easy-to-find grey variant with dark hair down the neck.

I know i said i wouldn't update again this week but i did really underestimate how popular this thread is. So Wishlist updated! again. Now with a category for the top 10 most requested suggestions if one does not feel like scrolling through the hundreds of suggestions so far. I should say all categories are sorted by most voted at the top to the least voted at the bottom.

Last edited:

Calling it "nonsensical" is a little mean... All I mean when I said it was click to fill bowls and stuff like that. Similar to how it was in ZT2. AND just so the record is clear, I am now NOT on board with different exhibit sizes. Sorry, If you can downvote my suggestion I downvote the dumb exhibit sizes.
Edit to say that it would be nice to have exhibit sizes in different ways...

Last edited:
Calling it "nonsensical" is a little mean... All I mean when I said it was click to fill bowls and stuff like that. Similar to how it was in ZT2. AND just so the record is clear, I am now NOT on board with different exhibit sizes. Sorry, If you can downvote my suggestion I downvote the dumb exhibit sizes.
Thats fair, sorry i didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings. Its simply why i personally think that its not the best additions regarding how much it costs vs what we get out of it. And really?
Just click and fill food bowls and poop scooping? I really dont see the appeal but i guess that shouldnt be that hard to implement so why not

Thats fair, sorry i didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings. Its simply why i personally think that its not the best additions regarding how much it costs vs what we get out of it. And really?
Just click and fill food bowls and poop scooping? I really dont see the appeal but i guess that shouldnt be that hard to implement so why not
Its cool. I can totally get that there isn't much appeal to clicking. :) I suggested it just because it made me feel more connected to my zoo back in ZT2 days.

...and I do agree that the exhibit sizes is an important update that if anything needs to be implemented... Its pretty unrealistic that terrariums in game are only ever one size :ROFLMAO: I would like to add a vote to differing exhibit sizes!
Alright one more vote for the exhibit overhaul bringing our most requested feature to 16.

Part of the reason I want more color morphs is because it increases variety...
I don't know how to explain it aside from examples. A different coloring (or texture?) on the Red Kangaroo wouldn't make it look like an Eastern Grey. However, it could make it look like a closer relative such as the Common Wallaroo which is found in zoos. Obviously it would still be Red Kangaroo officially but it would be a nice substitution for a wallaroo as people talk about in zoo recreations and the like. That is my main thing I don't like about substitutions. They often are visually still identifiable as the in-game species and obviously not the species they are supposed to represent. The Plains zebra won't ever look like a Mountain Zebra with its current pattern but remove the stripes on its belly and it would be a bit closer.
I know this idea is controversial though...

Back
Top Bottom