Galaxy-Wide Cartographic Data for Explored Systems

I agree on the general idea of this thread. Especially now, where we have the codex, such a system would absolutely make sense.

I personally would have it a bit more simplistic, with just a few more filters (visited/partly scanned/fully scanned/partly mapped/fully mapped) in the galaxy map. But that's mostly because i think this would be the quickest and easiest way to implement this and still would do the job.

The new FSS mode is 100% way faster, that being said its pretty simple with the new FSS mode to see if there is any planet worth looking at. Just honk in the system first, then enter FSS mode, look down on the middle and see if there is any signals for high metal content world, earth like or water world. Takes me like 5 secs to see if there is any. Plus also with the new FSS mode if you honk in the system and you wanna claim all the planets i can scan a system with 34 bodies in less than 2 min. It's really easy. And i dont have to fly to every single one either.

Last edited:
The new FSS mode is 100% way faster, that being said its pretty simple with the new FSS mode to see if there is any planet worth looking at. Just honk in the system first, then enter FSS mode, look down on the middle and see if there is any signals for high metal content world, earth like or water world. Takes me like 5 secs to see if there is any. Plus also with the new FSS mode if you honk in the system and you wanna claim all the planets i can scan a system with 34 bodies in less than 2 min. It's really easy. And i dont have to fly to every single one either.

I agree, but this thread is more about finding undiscovered systems, which even with the FSS, can be very difficult if you are a "beachcomber" (someone who looks for undiscovered systems and planets along the "beach" of the Bubble). The ability to use the galaxy map to plan my beachcombing expeditions would be wonderful, and it would make way more sense than the Roomba vacuum approach to exploration that we currently have.

I agree, but this thread is more about finding undiscovered systems, which even with the FSS, can be very difficult if you are a "beachcomber" (someone who looks for undiscovered systems and planets along the "beach" of the Bubble). The ability to use the galaxy map to plan my beachcombing expeditions would be wonderful, and it would make way more sense than the Roomba vacuum approach to exploration that we currently have.

On the positive: that was the very first posting here, which mostly looked at the "ADS" in the title and not so much what you wrote in the OP. Considering that "ADS" was written in the title, i actually expected this thread to become more of a mess.

And as already said, based on the fact that we now have the Codex, such a system, especially as filter in the galaxy map, would really be logical to have and very helpful for anybody trying to find new things. (Of course there'd still be the risk that you go to a yet unexplored system but while you do the scanning, somebody else also does so and then is back to a station to sell the data before you. But that's just life, there's no way and no need to "fix" that. )

Considering that "ADS" was written in the title, i actually expected this thread to become more of a mess.

Yeah, I'm going to fix that. There are parallels to what I am asking for and what people requesting the return of the ADS are asking for, but unfortunately the nuance is being lost in the translation. New title coming shortly!

I think the Db query for such a request would be far too cumbersome.

I answer this concern earlier in this thread.

Oh, and to buttress my argument, I'm constantly pulling up system maps via the galaxy map when inside the Bubble, so your concern is unfounded.

Last edited:
I answer this concern earlier in this thread.
Yeah, but not adequately. You're comparing one jump to browsing a galaxy to see if you can sell the data. If you're browsing the galaxy, the information of all systems you check out have to be preloaded. And since the game cannot predict which system you're going to check, all 400 billion have to be loaded.

An alternative is a button to to request data for a system ... wait .... then see if the data can be bought and move to check out the next system.
Oh, and to buttress my argument, I'm constantly pulling up system maps via the galaxy map when inside the Bubble, so your concern is unfounded.
Which is based on your personal data. Which systems are default known + the ones known by you.

Last edited:
Yeah, but not adequately. You're comparing one jump to browsing a galaxy to see if you can sell the data. If you're browsing the galaxy, the information of all systems you check out have to be preloaded.

If we were talking about a filter, then I would agree (which is why I backed away from requesting this). But I'm talking about manually hovering my pointer of a system and then manually pulling up the little toolbar that shows if I can buy data for that system, that is the logical time to retrieve a very simple little byte of information for that one system to see if I can buy a system map or not. If I choose to then purchase cartographic data, then the full map data can be loaded. No need to preload 400 billion system maps..

ps - I developed database software in a previous life, so I know a thing or two, but even so, we need not make assumptions on Frontier's behalf. Like the idea or don't like the idea, but leave the technicalities to the professionals (FDev). After all, I'm sure I can conjure up reasons why your precious ADS is a strain on Frontier's resources ;)

Last edited:
There are the third party apps that have tracked my discoveries since 2015. Gennar's, Captains Log, is a good one.

Now that the there is an official record, but incomplete, it might be possible to reconcile the two. But it would take money, and time way from other projects.

I speculate that an exploration gold rush was intended. Everyone starting at the same time. With that in mind, old records are going to be a long time coming in the codex.

Embrace Stage 5.

Yeah, but not adequately. You're comparing one jump to browsing a galaxy to see if you can sell the data. If you're browsing the galaxy, the information of all systems you check out have to be preloaded. And since the game cannot predict which system you're going to check, all 400 billion have to be loaded.

No that isn't necessary. For stars that have system data for you available in the galaxy map. I never saw any signs that their servers couldn't handle the requests when examining those systems. Not to speak of systems where data is available from the get go. Also the actual system data would only need to be fetched if you actually decide to view the system. That system data shouldn't be pre-fetched just because you might check it out. It would be really unwise to pre-load data which you might decide to view. It should be on an on demand basis. I click on a system, the server tells me if system data is available together with some global info about the system. Only when I decide to view the system my client should request the system data. It also manages to filter services/commodities data for the entire galaxy just fine. For that it needs to draw more data in order to do the filtering.

Last edited:
I think the Db query for such a request would be far too cumbersome.

If the data is stored properly, it's not worse than any filtering for star class. Most of the additional logic would be when turning in exploration data, which would have to place the flags (actually a total of four bits) to all visited systems. As we from previous presentations of FD know that data is only stored for already visited systems, the DB load shouldn't even be that terribly bad.

And based on the suggestion, i'd really aim for it working on the galaxy map and best to be able to filter for it. That would turn it into a great tool to get massive coverage on unexplored systems. :)

Deleted member 38366

D
A very long time ago, I suggested :

- making Universal Cartographics an entity Players could build Reputation with, or have UC recognize Player's Exploration Rank
- give Universal Cartographics various presence/positions throughout the Galaxy (Orbital/Planetary Observatories)

-> allow Players to utilize UC Equipment and Data to get Exploration benefits, to a degree that's based upon their Rank/Rep, such as

a) increasingly access/view to all Data known to UC while docked at a UC owned Facility
b) ability to purchase UC Data well beyond 20LY, upto Galaxy-wide
c) ability to bulk purchase large chunks of Data (Sectors, Radius around any selected System or cubic around given Stellar Coordinates)
d) ability to utilize UC Observatory/Simulator Data and apply powerful Filters & combination of Filters to the Data

Not only would make it UC the Service provider it should be, but also a far more realistic entity in the Galaxy (as opposed to the black hole for Expo Data they still are).
On top, it would give realistic and desirable benefits of building Exploration Rank.

--------------------
Since we have Squadrons now, instead of sharing individual Bookmarks (for Systems the other Squadron Members likely don't even have System Maps for), how about
- Option to share isolated select upto all Exploration Data between individual or multiple upto all Squadron Members (naturally limited to Data which has already been sold)

As it stands now, the absolutely only way to share anything Exporation-related is to invite individual CMDRs into MultiCrew to show something.
Not exactly useful IMHO and 100% Single-Player centric. Those limitations and total lack of Options to share or acquire Data don't suit a MMO too well IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very long time ago, I suggested :

- making Universal Cartographics an entity Players could build Reputation with, or have UC recognize Player's Exploration Rank
- give Universal Cartographics various presence/positions throughout the Galaxy (Orbital/Planetary Observatories)

-> allow Players to utilize UC Equipment and Data to get Exploration benefits, to a degree that's based upon their Rank/Rep, such as

a) increasingly access/view to all Data known to UC while docked at a UC owned Facility
b) ability to purchase UC Data well beyond 20LY, upto Galaxy-wide
c) ability to bulk purchase large chunks of Data (Sectors, Radius around any selected System or cubic around given Stellar Coordinates)
d) ability to utilize UC Observatory/Simulator Data and apply powerful Filters & combination of Filters to the Data

Not only would make it UC the Service provider it should be, but also a far more realistic entity in the Galaxy (as opposed to the black hole for Expo Data they still are).
On top, it would give realistic and desirable benefits of building Exploration Rank.

--------------------
Since we have Squadrons now, instead of sharing individual Bookmarks (for Systems the other Squadron Members likely don't even have System Maps for), how about
- Option to share isolated select upto all Exploration Data between individual or multiple upto all Squadron Members (naturally limited to Data which has already been sold)

As it stands now, the absolutely only way to share anything Exporation-related is to invite individual CMDRs into MultiCrew to show something.
Not exactly useful IMHO and 100% Single-Player centric. Those limitations and total lack of Options to share or acquire Data don't suit a MMO too well IMHO.

They want multiplayer. That's it.

If we were talking about a filter, then I would agree (which is why I backed away from requesting this). But I'm talking about manually hovering my pointer of a system and then manually pulling up the little toolbar that shows if I can buy data for that system, that is the logical time to retrieve a very simple little byte of information for that one system to see if I can buy a system map or not.
"An alternative is a button to to request data for a system ... wait .... then see if the data can be bought and move to check out the next system.". But mind it's not just the amount of data, it's also the amount of requests and server traffic that determines the speed.

ps - I developed database software in a previous life, so I know a thing or two, but even so, we need not make assumptions on Frontier's behalf. Like the idea or don't like the idea, but leave the technicalities to the professionals (FDev). After all, I'm sure I can conjure up reasons why your precious ADS is a strain on Frontier's resources ;)
If you want to steer this discussion towards the ADS and effectively torpedoing your own thread, I'll be happy to oblige.

And I know you didn't read the proposal you recently replied to. Because that wasn't about the ADS, it's not precious to me. Not that it stopped you posting "I will not accept ADS" about it, now did it? :)

No worries, the moderators killed any opportunity to discuss that. Thanks moderators!
If the data is stored properly, it's not worse than any filtering for star class.
Which also only shows a small sphere of star classes, so that could be the logic for this request as well.

Last edited:
Which also only shows a small sphere of star classes, so that could be the logic for this request as well.

True. And that would do the job perfectly fine for me. I don't need to see the exploration status of a system 30k LY away from me. But being able to filter for unexplored or unmapped systems in 50 LY distance can be very helpful.

If you want to steer this discussion towards the ADS and effectively torpedoing your own thread, I'll be happy to oblige.

You were happy to oblige torpedoing this thread with your attempt to make a non-issue into an issue. You're coming across as, "If I can't get my way, then I'll make sure nobody else gets their way either." How very megalomaniac of you.

That said, do keep it up. "The more you tighten your grip, Ziggy, the more threads will slip through your fingers."

Last edited:
Top Bottom