Galnet needs to go on the Comms Panel & soon

Some players don't even know that the aliens are called Thargoids so imho for 2.4 to be a success the important Galnet articles relating to the narrative need to end up on the Comms panel, whether that be the actual article or a notification (and preferably the article for me so it can read whilst flying). That's my view anyway as what has been done story wise so for has been great it just feels like it is hidden from a section of the playerbase who are not familiar with ED lore or are more casual players.

Neowave

Galnet can be accessed in space, from the powers menu.
Not sure why it's hidden down there. But it's there. It does need moving somewhere more prominent.

I recently suggested a "news ticker" in the HUD, to alert you to new stories and procedural events in your area.

I basically never know what's going on, except for when I glance at the headlines on the launcher, between hitting "play" and ED loading. I never actually read the stories. Lol

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Some players don't even know that the aliens are called Thargoids so imho for 2.4 to be a success the important Galnet articles relating to the narrative need to end up on the Comms panel, whether that be the actual article or a notification (and preferably the article for me so it can read whilst flying). That's my view anyway as what has been done story wise so for has been great it just feels like it is hidden from a section of the playerbase who are not familiar with ED lore or are more casual players.

Neowave

I agree. Galnet should be more easily viewable. I know we are getting Galnet audio soon, but it would be good if we could see the stories as well without it taking up the entire screen.

Neowave

Or Frontier could re-use the GALNET/ PowerPlay panel, for the eleventy many things that go on (such as CGs, a galactic omnibus, player journal, you name it) so people have a reason to even use that UI. It's just crying out for more content, trade info, places needing combat pilots, current mining hot-zones, mission locations, etc.

Imagine as a trader, the UI had some suggestions for sources of trade and places desperate for commodities? Or as a combat pilot, a list of systems with major piracy issues. As an explorer, some system deciding it needs more data; so on and so forth. It's like the game is intentionally forcing people to not do things, for fear they might do something.

It's depressing there's an entire section of the game people don't even realise exists, because no-one thought to use it for anything actually useful.

Last edited:

If someone doesn't know by now that we call the 'goids Thargoids, that's not a matter of making information easy to access. The issue must be utter lack or interest for the lore on the part of said "casual" player.

On the other hand, i would love to see more information (and trading / combat / exploration / lore) cues being shown somewhere. Maybe a tab with "highlights" on the left panel that could lead to a full screen menu with more detailed information.

I don't think it would fit on the right hand panel (it's a technical systems panel) and the top panel already has too much in too little space. But some kind of markee style monitor of what's happening in the Galaxy might be welcome too.

On top of this, some kind of lorepaedia accessible from the ship (which might be enriched by archiving by our findings like place info from satellites or such) would be glorious.

Or Frontier could re-use the GALNET/ PowerPlay panel, for the eleventy many things that go on (such as CGs, a galactic omnibus, player journal, you name it) so people have a reason to even use that UI. It's just crying out for more content, trade info, places needing combat pilots, current mining hot-zones, mission locations, etc.

Imagine as a trader, the UI had some suggestions for sources of trade and places desperate for commodities? Or as a combat pilot, a list of systems with major piracy issues. As an explorer, some system deciding it needs more data; so on and so forth. It's like the game is intentionally forcing people to not do things, for fear they might do something.

It's depressing there's an entire section of the game people don't even realise exists, because no-one thought to use it for anything actually useful.

I like your ideas.

Last edited:
Use EDDI, it reads the news out to you as it arrives.

Which is why I was baffled that people were so excited about GalNet audio. It's nice, but who cares? There's already an entire podcast dedicated to reading GalNet stories in the style of a professional news network. Seriously, if GalNet is going to have the same stories with the same update frequency and the same amount of detail and depth and relevance as it has now, I DO NOT CARE about whether a computer will read it to me or not.

You know what would get me excited about GalNet? If Frontier had announced that they were going to add a lot more *content* to GalNet.

Galnet only needs three things: content, content, and CONTENT.

Take care of that part and I'll be just as excited with a plaintext file.

Top Bottom