ANNOUNCEMENT Game Balancing

Zero sum PvP is an interesting take and definitely cancels any risk of manipulation but is a huge disincentive for the activity overall.

What you need to consider is whether potential malicious use would be statistically significant, because the cost of any mitigations will affect the entire playerbase, not just the exploiters. Just look at PvP in general, and PvP bounty hunting especially as a pathological example. As it currently stands, people do PvP despite the fact that the game actively discourages against it by making it not even zero-sum but a huge credit sink that must be funded by completely orthogonal gameplay activities the player might have absolutely no interest in. That's how you get player reviews that revolve around the term "grind". Don't punish all players for relatively few bad apples. Besides, the more carrot you can provide rather than the stick, the less incentive there is to exploit.

It would be good to look at piracy as part of your balance pass.

Piracy at present in Elite, PvE or PvP, is great fun and has a moderate skill requirement, as well as being high-risk. It pays very poorly indeed - in part because of the penalty that black markets apply to stolen goods.

If piracy were more lucrative, it would make PvE piracy more appealing as a career (which is good, because it's fun) and PvP piracy more meaningful.
Piracy would greatly benefit from something similar to what the core minerals did to mining - unique commodities found in specific circumstances with a very high price. If not for the fact that mining them is easier, manipulating the BGS to generate the precise circumstances that allow T7s full of low temperature diamonds to spawn reliably in systems with anarchy governments wouldn't be a bad payout at all.

If some new high-value, non-purchasable commodities were created, or even buffs given to the other commodities that only ever spawn as NPC cargo such as rebel transmissions and the like, and some ways created for players to track down the people carrying them, that would be pretty sweet.

Having some new signal source scenarios (like a convoy dispersal pattern with a threat value that isn't used yet) so people can track down that tasty cargo would be just... chef kiss.

AX combat is by far the most difficult PvE combat in the game. Taking on the most basic Thargoid Interceptor might be "easy" for players with a lot of skill, but it's a huge task for many other players. It's very risky, and extremely easy to lose a ship.

As far as I see it, changes for AX combat pay would need to reflect this extremely high risk activity. PvP aside, it's likely among the most risky activities within the game. Payout does not reflect this. My suggestion would be to take a look at what your plans are for increasing regular combat pay, and then apply that to AX combat with an additional bonus.

This is very true. I can easily solo-kill a Cyclops, but a Basilisk is a whole another story, not mentioning other variants. Payout for AX Combat should be increased, or remain the same with introduction of AX Missions available in systems where NHSS' or AX CZ's are present. AX Wing missions would be great as well. Even ordinary Massacre Thargoid Scouts missions would be a good idea.

Idea: Players can only get a bounty set on them while their notoriety is higher than 0, and the cap on how high the bounty can be made rises with increasing notoriety. That way no "innocent" players can get a bounty at "random".
I would be with this but Notoriety is lost too fast (2hrs/point) for this to be considerable

And with blocking, no crossplay, instance limits and different timezones, all that talk of 'facing conseguences' is empty. :)
The point is that by opposing a player faction/power, you run the risk of getting punished by someone working for that group who happens to see you. That's interesting gameplay for both parties.

The things you mentioned are obstacles that need to be adjusted rather than reasons why BGS should not be open-only. And timezones are a completely different story.

That's completely missing the point. Like I said, the BGS is dreadfully too fickle, it really should stay in the backfround and not be something single players or even small groups can game easily.
And with blocking, no crossplay, instance limits and different timezones, all that talk of 'facing conseguences' is empty. :)

Powerplay should be decoupled completely from the BGS, and could be open only. Having pledged should nullify all blocking and friend lists alike when considering matchmaking server.
What about two open play servers one Open and one Private/Solo?

Is there any chance of seeing a similar rebalancing for engineering mats? Currently the quickest and easiest method for a lot of things is going to a particular site on a planet, stripping it then logging out and back in to reset, rinse-and-repeat ad infinitum. Having missions that give a similar rate of rewards would be really nice.

This is very true. I can easily solo-kill a Cyclops, but a Basilisk is a whole another story, not mentioning other variants. Payout for AX Combat should be increased, or remain the same with introduction of AX Missions available in systems where NHSS' or AX CZ's are present. AX Wing missions would be great as well. Even ordinary Massacre Thargoid Scouts missions would be a good idea.

Same boat here. Can do well against Cyclops. I admittedly need to “git gud” at the bigger versions.

And yes scouts should pay more. I’d wade into bigger NHSS filled with scouts if I knew they were worth the hassle. Right now 10000 credits is diddly squat to cover ammo and repairs from an unfortunate caustic missile.

I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Missions - long-distance trade missions, and long distance smuggling missions. I've seen screenshots where people have (albeit very rarely) seen long-distance trade and smuggling missions offered, for higher payouts. I have never seen one! Is there a bug that causes them to disappear, or be de-prioritized?

And already mentioned, and I will second:
  • Smuggling penalties - very rarely able to to make a profit on illegal goods. I don't think they should have a -25% penalty (however stolen goods should keep the penalty)
  • AX combat bonds
  • Combat bonds and bounties in general

Also Bruce, do you have numbers for prices of the other core-mined minerals you mentioned?

When you get to AX, I agree with a better scaling of Thargoid return. But, my squadron definitely finds Cyclops to be end-game when solo - so dropping the bond there will literally kill the game for them. Please do not do that. I can do it, but they struggle and I've yet to solo a Basilisk so the risk there is still extremely high. Six of one, half a dozen of another I realise, but a lot of us are more casual than the hardcore out there :)

this is a good point. much of the game multiplies rewards for wing/group action. this works if the goal is to incentivize group action, but is contrary to the stated goal of rewards being proportional to skill. for that, rewards should be divided between the members of the group.

this affects all combat, thargoid or otherwise.

it also applies to trading, but since trading ends up being mostly hauling there is no skill component to balance, it's just another oddity.

As a fairly new player, I've been playing about 2 weeks, I figure I'll drop my 2 cents.

Is mining excessive right now ? Yes, I scooted through the early part of the game.
However as devils advocate, it just lets you play the actual game, so is it a problem? Jumping around 50 times in my sidewinder grinding out 50k missions is only so much fun off the bat.

I think as a design philosophy , Frontier needs to decide about how long the want players to grind for stuff. Get a Cr/hr goal you want to hit with each activity at each stage of the game and balance around that separately, in each mode. As another player said work in risk factors at that point to see if you can make more money.

The last thing I honestly want Frontier to think about is the grind. I know they have a vision and maybe once odyssey comes out it will really flesh out, but the game is a little shallow. If you make players grind stupid missions to get anywhere, they quit. I would like a much larger playerbase and I think you are on the right track, I would just lean towards making the grind less not more. Like MASSIVE buffs to payouts for other missions.

My FDL is 8 mill buyback and I dont have much engineering so it takes me a bit to kill in CZ's, and frankly they are a waste a time. It takes too long to kill ships for what a 50k reward? why so cheap I don't get it.

Your first priority should be buffing everything else not nerfing mining.

If I am not completely mistaken, as a former miner and current AX pilot, the changes to mining prices would mean laser mining would end up in the region of 100-150M/hour or so. For AX combat to be even comparable, I would personally suggest the following bond values:
Cyclops 2M (it is fine now)
Basilisk 20M
Medusa 60M
Hydra 150M

Cyclopses can still be insta-gibbed by a single commander and raising the bond significantly higher than it currently is would promote avoiding the heart mechanics (ideally the gibbing mechanic should be patched out to avoid credit exploits such as wings gibbing Hydras).
Top AX pilots can take out a Basilisk in a matter of minutes, but this is only accounting for the fight itself. The Basilisk still has to be found and most likely the commander will have to go back to a station for restock and repair afterwards. Most commanders certainly could not take out four Basilisks per hour solo.
Top AX pilots can take out a Medusa solo in about 15-20 minutes. This requires repairs between runs as well as some synthesis. A more reasonable time for a reasonably skilled commander is a fight time of around 30-40 minutes. Add the time for gathering materials for synthesis and repairs and 60M per Medusa is still not on par with post-correction mining.
A Hydra solo is a significant investment of time in terms of the fight itself and requires a large amount of synthesis - and many commanders will also need to use premium ammo synthesis to stand a reasonable chance of success. It is a very high-risk endeavour and should pay accordingly.

All of the bonds I quoted above are on the low side for a solo commander and will not reach the same level as mining even with the proposed changes to mining. However, I understand that one also needs to account for the fact that wing kills can be significantly faster. If at all possible, I would correct this by adding an additional part to the bond that is not awarded equally to all commanders participating in the kill, but instead split between the commanders. Solo kills require both more skill and is a higher risk endeavour than wing kills as a wing can continue the fight while a commander that blows up rejoins it and if a solo commander blows up the fight with any progress in it is irrevocably lost. Reasonable payouts in that case could be in the form of a base bond + a bond depending on how many commanders have damaged the Interceptor before its destruction.

Off the top of my head, I would then go with something like the following:
Cyclops: 500k base bond + 1.5M split bond
Basilisk: 10M base + 20M split
Medusa: 20M base + 70M split
Hydra: 50M base + 250M split

I would consider myself a fairly proficient AX pilot and taking out a Hydra takes me an hour with premium ammunition (+ an hour and a half or so of grinding materials for that ammo). Using basic ammo, it took me 1h20mins yesterday, which does not require as much synthesis materials, but definitely higher skill.

I believe that the bonds could go even higher than this if one truly wants to award skill and risk, but the bond levels quoted would at least put AX combat on a similar level to (corrected) mining.
I would just add that you compared the new no-skill baseline earning through mining to what top AX pilots should earn. I don't think that's quite right. Anyone who can solo a meduse (or even a basilisk) should earn more than laser miners IMO, so I would buff those numbers a little bit.

I saw a couple posts regarding power play tweaks and have honestly had this rattling around in the back of my head for.. well a couple years tbh:

All of the reward modules should be available in all class sizes, similar to how prismatic shields can be fit to any size shield slot. Weapons should be able to fit as small, medium, large and huge hardpoints, with a similar stat distribution compared to their non power play counterpart at the same size.

(I also think that having the pack hounds having the same missile size at each weapon size and just decrease/increase the number of missiles fired and magazine size to be in line with the size/damage estimates would make sense purely from a logistical standpoint when assembling them)

As for balancing the remainder of power play, I'm honestly not sure as it's been a while since I actively participated.

Last edited:
I'm pro Open-only Powerplay and BGS personally. I understand this is a long standing debate and know a few of the reasons it hasn't happened before. Maybe we'll be ready to have that conversation again sometime in the near future.
As a PC using non Powerplayer who doesn’t deliberately do BGS stuff I am opposed to open only anything until console players can join in without having to pay for premium access.

Top Bottom