ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It's kind of off topic but since a moderator insisted on making the point about alt accounts in this thread I'll run with it.

You and the mod and all the PC players need to understand that as publisher of ED.. FD has sole control over licensing on the PC platform and have decreed that there will not be parity between the platforms in this regard.

Where the platforms have decided for themselves how licensing will work.

In short: Hate the publisher, not the platform.
I wasn't hating anyone, I had to look back to find out what I was talking about that may have incurred you correcting me.
going back through the posts and the theme that 16 ships full of VO or some sort of toxic waste might make a dent, I personally don't care about the PP though I'm sure some do, and having 16 accounts on the PC would be expensive... no hate from me!

I suspect all but 2.8% of this thread is speculation by the forumites, including this post.

I speculate that the carriers could be equipped to print out the CLS which could be used to fly one way to a shipyard in the same system as the Carrier allowing the commander to collect their other ships from there.

The CLS or Carrier Launched Shuttle is a development of the Ship Launched Fighter, like the SLF it is printed on demand however it is not flown by telepresence but by its lone occupant, it has range limitations due to not having Frame Shift Drive but does have the capability to reach any planetary base from orbit.

I'd probably be ok with any way for it to work, and would get paintjobs for my CLS too.

I'd probably be ok with any way for it to work, and would get paintjobs for my CLS too.

This also makes me think that FC's aren't going to be ungodly expensive.. I think anything north of 500mil cR locks so many players out of it that FD would struggle to make money on the paintjob sales for it.

Where if they push the price down so everyone can afford a carrier then more people will drop cash on paintjobs for them.

Last edited:
Please include a TOURISM loadout too?
I think I’ve found a concept render!

Welcome to Fhloston Paradise!

This also makes me think that FC's aren't going to be ungodly expensive.. I think anything north of 100mil cR locks so many players out of it that FD would struggle to make money on the paintjob sales for it.

Where if they push the price down so everyone can afford a carrier then more people will drop cash on paintjobs for them.
There are multiple ships that cost more than that straight out of the shipyard without adding outfitting costs, I seriously doubt that Carriers will be cheaper than an A rated Imperial Cutter in fact I would be shocked if they wee less than 10 times that price.

Interesting statistic about the wealth distribution on Inara. Sample size is high, might provide some insight where we can expect carrier prices to be.

~ 82% commanders are having less than 1 billion in credits
~ 18% are having more than 1 billion in credits
~ 7% are having more than 2 billions in credits
~ 2% are having more than 5 billions
~ 0.7% are having more than 10 billions
~ 0.2% are having more than 20 billions

Creating an alt on Xbox is free. But this is offset by not having access to VR, only having 1 Hotas option, and much smaller population of players in general

Which is why cross-platform play would benefit this game, regardless of what platform you're on. Sony seem a little reluctant to do PS4 <--> XB1 crossplay because they want to protect the children unless its for one of the bigger games like Fortnite.

There are multiple ships that cost more than that straight out of the shipyard without adding outfitting costs, I seriously doubt that Carriers will be cheaper than an A rated Imperial Cutter in fact I would be shocked if they wee less than 10 times that price.

Yeah sorry, my guess was 500mil, not sure why I typo'd that but it's fixed now.

I really don't think anything above that helps FD financially.

Interesting statistic about the wealth distribution on Inara. Sample size is high, might provide some insight where we can expect carrier prices to be.

As part of that 82% I would be in the 7% band if I sold my fleet.

Just leaving this here because I got horribly baited by today’s tweet, thinking there would be additional info.

Bad, social media team, bad!

It's only cash, not assets if I read the source right.

So I'd be just short of the 7% bracket with 1.6 billion cash. And I play a lot. Highest I had was just north of 2 billion.

Yeah sorry, my guess was 500mil, not sure why I typo'd that but it's fixed now.

I really don't think anything above that helps FD financially.
That is still less than a lot of Cutter builds especially those built at discount yards so still too low to make sense in game terms, it seems unlikely to me that a Carrier would cost significantly less than the fleet it carried.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: GAL

...and this is Inara, which already has a significant bias towards the more experienced CMDRs signing up to it so it knows how much money they have. Probably of the ones it doesn't know about, far more are in the <1 billion range.

That is still less than a lot of Cutter builds especially those built at discount yards so still too low to make sense in game terms, it seems unlikely to me that a Carrier would cost significantly less than the fleet it carried.

That's still a lot more than a base Cutter and a LOT LOT more than most players have or are willing to play for.

Don't forget, once you have one you have to pay for maintenance and fuel too. I get you wanting this to be a trophy which players have to really work to earn, but I think you're missing the economics of a 5+yr old game that's lagging in features behind it's competitors.

A 6A fuel scoop on an Asp can easily cost more than the hull and all the other internals combined, though - there is precedent for the "things you carry" being the expensive bit and the "thing which holds them" being the cheap bit.

(I would also be surprised if a carrier was less than a billion credits, though)

Credits in the bank are a completely useless measure of both wealth and willingness to grind credits. Go by total asset value, if anything.
I disagree. I don't think many players would sell off ships to afford a carrier. What good is the carrier without ships to carry ? So the free cash is the relevant figure.

That's still a lot more than a base Cutter and a LOT LOT more than most players have or are willing to play for.

Don't forget, once you have one you have to pay for maintenance and fuel too. I get you wanting this to be a trophy which players have to really work to earn, but I think you're missing the economics of a 5+yr old game that's lagging in features behind it's competitors.
More like ignoring the economics of the game which I understand is still earning money nicely, though it has to be said I am ignoring its competitors totally until such time as I loose interest in or have finished Elite.

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Greetings Commanders,

The Gamescom Fleet Carrier Reveal was such an exciting moment for us, and after reading through your feedback, we can see that it was also exciting for you! We wanted to take this opportunity to answer some of your questions, keeping in mind that we will be revealing more about Fleet Carriers, closer to the December Update.

Will Fleet Carriers jump on the Thursday Server tick?
Fleet Carriers will not be restricted to the Thursday server tick in order to jump.

Can you clarify what 'unique' resources are?
It will be a new commodity, which can be mined or bought from certain starports. We will be exploring this in more detail in a future livestream closer to the December Update.

Will Fleet Carriers be bought with Arx?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be purchasable with Arx.

Can we customise our Carriers?
Yes, Fleet Carriers can be customised, but this is something we are going to be looking at in livestreams closer to the Decembers Update's launch.

Can Squadron members contribute to the cost?
The cost for a Fleet Carrier will come from the single commander who owns the carrier. Squadron members will not be able to contribute.

Is the Fleet Carrier restricted to the 'Bubble'?
Fleet Carriers can be purchased from certain systems and can travel outside of 'Human Space', providing they have the fuel to do so.

Where can I buy Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers are purchased from certain systems, which we will look further into during our 'deeper dive' livestream.

Do Fleet Carriers work in Solo?
Fleet Carriers will work and operate in all game modes, so Open, Solo, and Private Groups.

Are Fleet Carriers destructible, and can they defend themselves?
Fleet Carriers are not destructible, but they can defend themselves and other nearby ships.

Do the loadouts have a practical effect in-game?
We will be delving deeper into loadouts, and Support Vessels in later livestreams.

Can you sell Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers can be scrapped, however, it will be for fewer credits than the original purchase amount.

Will a commanders Fleet Carriers persist when logging in and out?
Fleet Carriers are persistent and will remain in the game regardless of whether or not the owner is online.

Can you change the type of carrier you have?
The 'type' of Fleet Carrier that you have is determined by the Support Vessel assigned to it, which in turn, determines its loadout. As mentioned above, this is something we will be talking about in a future stream.

Can Fleet Carriers jump into permit-locked systems?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be able to jump into permit-locked systems.

We hope this gives you an initial insight into Fleet Carriers. Do keep in mind that Fleet Carriers will be released in the December Update, and we will be showing off more about them in livestreams and forum posts closer to its launch. Thank you all for your feedback and questions, and we can't wait to reveal more as time goes on.

More like ignoring the economics of the game which I understand is still earning money nicely, though it has to be said I am ignoring its competitors totally until such time as I loose interest in or have finished Elite.

Operative piece in bold for you. YOU are not most players. The intelligent decision should NOT be based on your own playing habits.

But I don't expect intelligent decisions to be made either, so there's that.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom