ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
'Shi-tty' has been changed to poopooty in the engine for this forum... poopoo is a real word. The reason to not use it is mindless and nobody with a working brain should be opposing it.
The profanity filters have always been aggressive to the point of ridiculousness both in the forums* and the game, but I guess it's considered a small price to pay to keep them generally family-friendly without massive moderation requirements and banning folk all over the place. For what it's worth I quite like "poopooty". It reminds me of Mr. Toad. 😉

*a few years ago someone used this word and the forum *****ed out the first five letters (it still does; I had
to encode one of the URL letters). When the guy complained he got a sanction for "filter evasion." 🤣

That's a risk we already take in a long jump range ship, but I can guarantee, once we have worked out the mechanics of being "lost" there are people who will sacrifice thier FC just to have the bragging rights of having gone further than anyone else has ever been, even if they couldn't have the bodies tagged with their name, unless the FC has UC built in, but I can't see that being a thing....maybe.
I don't know about that last part... UC relays on the support ships for exploration carriers has been suggested -- only by the community AFAIK -- as a possible feature, and it makes a certain degree of sense. Maybe not as a way of generating a continuous stream of credits and first discoveries, but perhaps as a way of "bulk saving" exploration data so it's not lost in the event of ship destruction (assuming rebuying to the carrier, or spawning into a second ship on board the carrier, is also an option). You'd still have to return to a UC facility to cash in the data.

As for the distance records, that will be a goal. Noodling around the edge of the galactic disc is where my exploration CMDR spends most of his time, and if it turns out I can afford a fleet carrier I'll definitely be trying to beat my own records if not the global ones. It's one of the reasons I'm curious as to how this is going to work. I can easily see a situation, if the mechanics are done in a certain way, in which a ship rebuy constantly respawns on a fuel-less carrier out in the backside of nowhere unless the Sidewinder option is taken. It's such an obvious potential gotcha that I'd like to think it's one of the first things FD considered and accounted for, but I wouldn't be prepared to wager on it just yet.

That FLEET CARRIERS will be available to SOLO players would indicate, though not guarantee, that you’ll be able to keep more than one of your own ships on it.

So day one. You get your CARRIER in some system in the Bubble. You have 4 ships scattered across the bubble and 10 modules as well as 2 ships and 5 modules in Colonia.

I presume you’re going to be able to transfer ships and modules to your CARRIER much like you transfer a ship now. If you elect to have the 2 ships and 5 modules from Colonia transferred, it’s going to cost you money (possibly a rate commodity since you just made this huge purchase) and you might have to wait days for them to arrive. This surely roots your CARRIER to the system you’re in?

Could be a few dull, skint days.

i have the feeling with frontiercommunication on this, its not developed and tested right now, no info, at the end it will be a flying landing pad with too mutch grind even to move it. I hope the prove me wrong

If you elect to have the 2 ships and 5 modules from Colonia transferred, it’s going to cost you money (possibly a rate commodity since you just made this huge purchase) and you might have to wait days for them to arrive. This surely roots your CARRIER to the system you’re in?
That's not how it works at present - you can transfer stuff in and it will arrive even if you have jumped. Though outfitting tends to think it's in the system you transferred it to, but I'm sure they'll fix that bug .... maybe

That's not how it works at present - you can transfer stuff in and it will arrive even if you have jumped. Though outfitting tends to think it's in the system you transferred it to, but I'm sure they'll fix that bug .... maybe

Aye, sorry, I meant the CARRIER wont be able to jump if you’ve elected to have ships and modules sent to it surely?

i have the feeling with frontiercommunication on this, its not developed and tested right now, no info, at the end it will be a flying landing pad with too mutch grind even to move it. I hope the prove me wrong
No Info? There was literally a reveal and a response in this thread that explained stuff.
Just because there is not more info 1 week after the reveal doesnt mean that it isnt being worked on.

index.php

Just for Your information / needfull

OH NO! 20 billion is far more then you'll need? That tells me price is probably 5 to 8 billion. If it was around 1 or 2 billion I think the letter would have said you have way way more then you need. The language indicates 20 billion is plenty, but not such an obscene amount of money that you aren't going to "feel" the purchase. Frontier can obviously change the price depending on player feedback when they release, but I'm thinking based on the letter around 5 billion is their initial plan.

I still think the price should be around 1 to 2 billion. I've been playing casually for almost 5 years and I just now have 600 million. Almost all of that was earned in the last 6 months doing vopal mining. If these are going to be reasonably accessible by individual commanders I think 1 billion is a good price. Particularly with frontier saying there will be "upkeep" costs as well as fuel costs.

I wonder what happens if you don't pay the upkeep. Does it self destruct? Does it just lose functionality until you pay? Is upkeep based on usage or time? So say will there be 100 million dollar charge for every 10 hours of game play time whether you use it or not? Or will it slowly degrade over time like paint? I actually think a lower entry level cost, with 100 million in upkeep would be ok. You can get 100 million from one hour of vopal mining, so one hour of money to "run" the FC for 10 or 15 hours seems reasonable.

Last edited:
I wonder what happens if you don't pay the upkeep. Does it self destruct? Does it just lose functionality until you pay? Is upkeep based on usage or time? So say will there be 100 million dollar charge for every 10 hours of game play time whether you use it or not? Or will it slowly degrade over time like paint? I actually think a lower entry level cost, with 100 million in upkeep would be ok. You can get 100 million from one hour of vopal mining, so one hour of money to "run" the FC for 10 or 15 hours seems reasonable.

Upkeep? I can't imagine that being a serious issue, currently even in regular ships people spend a year or more out in the black exploring, I dare say with an indestructible mother ship some people may never come back to civilisation again, myself maybe included, except possibly when FDEV bring out something new that we need to go to the bubble to acquire, and since dedicated explorers don't actually get money apart from when they turn in data to UC some people may not actually be earning money ever again.

OH NO! 20 billion is far more then you'll need? That tells me price is probably 5 to 8 billion. If it was around 1 or 2 billion I think the letter would have said you have way way more then you need. The language indicates 20 billion is plenty, but not such an obscene amount of money that you aren't going to "feel" the purchase. Frontier can obviously change the price depending on player feedback when they release, but I'm thinking based on the letter around 5 billion is their initial plan.

I still think the price should be around 1 to 2 billion. I've been playing casually for almost 5 years and I just now have 600 million. Almost all of that was earned in the last 6 months doing vopal mining. If these are going to be reasonably accessible by individual commanders I think 1 billion is a good price. Particularly with frontier saying there will be "upkeep" costs as well as fuel costs.

I'd say 6 billion, but it should be fairly obvious why I'm biased toward that figure...

Just FYI, a couple of days ago I took a Type-9 into the triple LTD hotspot in ice ring B around Dorann A2 and sold the resulting 608 tons (+6 more in the refinery bins) for a profit of around 730 million, setting a new largest single transaction record. You might find this external mining tool handy ;)

[Edit: Yes, that was a ~730 MCR profit, within a single day of play-time. Good luck CMDR o7]

Last edited:

Ah yes, we all know that 'far more' is '6 billion more' than 'way more'. I think I will panic now.

That every player can own one and it will be cheap only grind for fuel does mean that the FC have one purpose for a mass Exodus before the end of 2020 Raxxla will be found and will have a portal to a new galaxy you need the FC to take all your ships and modules with you

Well, 100mil might be a bit too low but I think he's more reasonable than the people who expected 10-20 billion.

Because as far as we know, carriers really don't offer much to be worth that kind of sum, the only reason would be because "it's big" and it would cost a lot IRL. But you won't be able to fight with it, you won't be able to fly it, it will just be a parking spot for your ships that you can move around.

Maybe we can talk about the price again once we actually know what we can do with these.

100Mil should be the price.....It's only a Taxi

It has no weapons, you can’t fly it, we don’t even know if it can be used to offload and store cargo (and if it can’t then it is rather useless for traders, pirates, salvagers, search and rescue and miners).

If it has no cargo storage then the only use I see with it is refuel and repair bot for explorers. Nothing more.

It appears to be very limited with functionality and use. Certainly a lot less functional and versatile than Cutter, Corvette and Anaconda.

With that in mind I will be disappointed if it costs more than one billion credits “because big” and most likely pass on it as it is less functional than the main 3 big ships.

It’s basically just a mobile refuel and rearm boat, which likely will come with an expensive and/or impractical and cumbersome upkeep with the special fuel requirement.

Paying multiple billions of credits for it seems completely unreasonable unless it has some huge bonus we are yet to know about.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom