General Criticism Thread

Hi all!

The recent showoff of the gameplay and new trailer have been totally awesome and the team is doing a marvelous job.

It's one of the few games i'm actually excited about again after a long time.

With all this positivity around rn we still need to be careful about having on these rose tinted glasses, so i've come to make this thread to have a discussion about legit criticism about the game, since we all know a perfect game doesn't exist (yes even JPOG had its flaws), so aslong as the game isnt finished yet, there might be a chance the devs will listen to the community on possible improvements.

That's why i'd like to have a discussion about constructive criticism aswell, so please use this thread to get off your chest what nitpicks you so far.

To start things off, here are a few things i've noticed that i'm at least a bit concerned about and hope are still fixed in one way or another:

- Visitors seems lifeless, and uninteractive, it doesn't seem like you can click on them and show their thoughts and emotions (like JPOG did f.e.) but seem to be unindividual (like the audiences in racing games), which is a bit off turning when they are being chased by large carnivores, breaking immersion

- No day and night cycles have been confirmed, but instead having different islands at different day and night times

- Terraforming and sandbox are nowhere to be seen (building an individual island from scratch, building mountains, etc)

- Not a single drop of blood or mild gore, which have been always present in the JP franchise, even JPOG had it with a T rating (remember TLW movie Eddie getting torn apart by two T-rexes, or the Trex waterfall scene?), we've seen both humans and goats getting eaten and it just seems like they simply disappear, breaking immersion (perhaps have an option to turn on/off blood or have some sort of dlc for it and give that a higher age rating)

- Denuvo, making modding impossible (still possible steamworkshop?)

- Ranger Helicopters and Jeeps take no damage, which also breaks immersion and takes of any kind of danger for the player being in that insert third person mode

- Some kind of retro mode with old JP-style buildings have yet to be shown, same with aquatic and airbound dinos (might be in, might be DLC, we dont know yet)

- A visitor mode would've been nice
Very good idea to make this Thread! According to all your Points! What we saw in the Gameplay was a Demo, it is still in development ..
Here I will put things that would have to improve in my opinion:

- Decoration: Benches to sit, garbage cans, lights, tables, statues, etc.

-Visitors: In the trailer that left yesterday, it is seen that there is a tornado sweeping the park and a few meters the visitors walked as if nothing happened, I also think that there should not be so many employees walking the park, it seemed millions, should appear the amount of employees that one has hired. Another thing is that visitors arrive at the park little by little, as the park becomes more popular.

-Terraforming: In the Announcement Trailer, there was a picel with which you could put sand and in the demo was not, it would be great to be able to put plants, trees and rocks individually, as well as to put deeper water and be able to add waterfalls. PS: One question I have is if in Isla Sorna we will see the Biome that was seen in The Lost World, I think it was Like the Redwood Forest ...

- Goats: What I do not like too much is that the predators are trying to kill the goat and it does not care, the goat stays still instead of running ...

Well this would be everything, in the final version of the game I am sure that all this will be fixed and that it will be an incredible game! The developers are doing a very good job!

The other thing that bothered me was the observation that dinosaurs seem to only be able to fight one dino at a single time.

In a video I was watching, I saw a Cerato and a trike go at it with a second trike sitting right next to them doing nothing. The trike in the fight actually ended up dying. I just hope dinos of the same species can fight together in this game.

No blood and gore. Again I don't want a slasher flic level of blood and gore just what you would expect from a animal kill you would see in National Geographic on TV.

No day and night cycle. No offense to Frontier but I think this is just a dumb decision. We should have a day and night cycle on every island, I know some don't like playing games like this during the night so they should make it an option like in Planet Coaster. In one video I watched it was said that they were using different weather and lighting to make the islands different. The weather is fine, the idea of making one island in constant day time and another in constant night time is just a bad idea, others think the same way.

Grass/foliage clipping through paths. I also seen this happen to a Dinosaurs tail in one video. This needs to be fixed obviously.

Placement of individual trees and other decorative items for enclosures. Like logs, rocks and so on. I also have an issue with the way water pools are made. They should look like actual small lakes. Instead it just looks like someone dumped water on an indentation in the ground. You can still see the grass sticking out of it. Maybe I am wrong on this one but it looks off to me.

The other problem is the guests in the game. There is too many of the scientists and ACU types. It looks strange. They all look the same. It's very distracting and breaks immersion. Seeing whole lines of scientists in white lab coats and ACU park rangers walking around in groups like mindless ducks is bad. I hope this gets fixed cause I consider this a big one. There needs to be more variety. Even if you made a park completely devoted to science all the science themed guests would not show up in white lab coats. Same for the security people.

The fact that everything else looks great about the game is what makes these small little issues so frustrating to see. Otherwise I loved seeing the game, the Dinosaurs look wonderful. The environment is beautiful. It just needs more polish.

The game feels a bit rushed tbh, like in terms of animations, attack and eating animations and lack of customization like in Planet Coaster, i have some fears that the licensing around the new movie is pressuring the team to release the game and makes them have to take shortcuts in terms of polishing (why cut so many features that were present in PC?)

How long is it in development rn anyways? 1,5 years? I would've had a very good feeling overall if they still had 1-2 years of development time left after seeing this gameplay footage but now, even when they said it was an outdated built, i don't think we will see many changes to what we've seen now.

This is a game where i'd actually like to see a delay happening because i know it would do them good (unlike games like FFXV which turned out s*** after 10 years of development, which probably wouldn't have changed even with 20 years devtime)

Where did you hear them say what was shown is an outdated build?

Haha thank you! Another thing to consider: imagine that there IS a day night cycle. And now imagine that guests and park staff respond to those times so that at certain times the park is empty apart from the odd guest walking around. I've always loved the idea of dinosaurs breaking out at night and running around with guests safely tucked away inside and perhaps the odd person outside gets eaten and all the guests come outside in the morning to find a dead guest. I genuinely think there needs to be some serious consequences to a visitor death.

It would also give you more chances to use the night vision devices the ACU rangers should have. Just think about that.

This was a good idea cause it will make it easier for the staff to maybe pass some of our complaints and ideas onto the dev team, if they will. Instead of having our complaints and so on across multiple different threads.

I could live without a day/night cycle IF its been done for the sake of a scenario/story integration, but then we would have a day/night cycle when playing in sandbox/creative mode. And honestly, I'm going to be disappointed if there isn't some kind of sandbox in the game. It's where I spend 90% of my time in PC, and once you've "completed" the main game what really is there to keep you coming back to hte game other than sandbox build what you want and make it all look awesome

this thread is yet one more reason why I'd have loved an alpha buy

-- I know, I know, I'll stop going on about it, it's too late haha -- but still, we could have been addressing all this directly to the devs along the way and could have been getting active feedback and updates. The PC alpha journey was awesome, and it was great to "work" alongside the team in building and shaping what that game became. And there were a LOT of changes from Alpha 1 to Alpha 3 to end game

I just have to put trust in FD taking notes, having similar ideas to us and coming up with the goods come June 12th

I'm surprised to have not seen this criticism yet.

The dino duels seem lackluster, based off of gameplay of a Ceratosaurus-Triceratops duel and a duel of two Ceratosauruses. It was worse than JPOGs, which wasn't necessarily bad, just really simple. Truthfully, I don't think a Ceratosaurus should be attempting to tackle a Triceratops if alone. It gives me this "if big carnivore meets big herbivore, they all duel" vibe instead of something that feels real to the animal. I could see AI being programmed to eye up the triceratops that squares off with a Ceratosaurus, but it instead tries to avoid confrontation. Instead we have this back and forth slapping contest between the two, which worked a little better with two Ceratosauruses. A hit with those horns and that Ceratosaurus should have been down for the count.

Some of the things like the Struthiomimus not reacting to the approaching Ceratosaurus seemed just like the AI was still in development and we didn't see it in the demo, but the duel was fully animated and disappointing to me.

At 50:50 you will see the duel between the Triceratops and the Ceratosaurus. Somewhere in the video is the Ceratosaurus x2 fight.

[video=youtube;KCcvgSprQ58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCcvgSprQ58[/video]

Obviously there are still things in development, which is why some of the stuff looks weird, but I expect more from a fully animated duel. I don't want something that looks ripped from JPOG, I want to see something that feels how these animals would react to each other when squaring off.

Last edited:
I could live without a day/night cycle IF its been done for the sake of a scenario/story integration, but then we would have a day/night cycle when playing in sandbox/creative mode. And honestly, I'm going to be disappointed if there isn't some kind of sandbox in the game. It's where I spend 90% of my time in PC, and once you've "completed" the main game what really is there to keep you coming back to hte game other than sandbox build what you want and make it all look awesome

-- I know, I know, I'll stop going on about it, it's too late haha -- but still, we could have been addressing all this directly to the devs along the way and could have been getting active feedback and updates. The PC alpha journey was awesome, and it was great to "work" alongside the team in building and shaping what that game became. And there were a LOT of changes from Alpha 1 to Alpha 3 to end game

I just have to put trust in FD taking notes, having similar ideas to us and coming up with the goods come June 12th

Same here. If progressing across the islands is a scenario/narrative thing and all the Islands have different lighting then fine, as long as there is a sandbox/free play mode where we can choose to have day and night cycles or choose the time we want like in Planet Coaster. But to force no day and night cycles on the entire game is just wrong,

Running an alpha and beta test takes time, from the interviews with the lead animator i took that 'time' was something they were short of (he also explained that this is the reason for the rather low dinosaur count).

This is a licensed game and the schedule is determined by universal, frontier has to deliver to the date that universal wants the game out.

As sad as this is, there will be shortcomings, that's why most licensed games usually turn out not so well (remember movie games from tte early 00s?).

Running an alpha and beta test takes time, from the interviews with the lead animator i took that 'time' was something they were short of (he also explained that this is the reason for the rather low dinosaur count).

This is a licensed game and the schedule is determined by universal, frontier has to deliver to the date that universal wants the game out.

As sad as this is, there will be shortcomings, that's why most licensed games usually turn out not so well (remember movie games from tte early 00s?).

I guess we will have to wait for post release patching and fixing. Yeah it's a bummer. The digital release is June 12th. The physical release is July 3rd so basically we would have three more months to wait and they would have more time to fix the game.

oh yeah I fully understand the ramifications and constraints surrounding it. I'll always think it's a shame that it couldn't happen that way, but I also trust Frontier to at least still be listening and addressing our concerns by including as much of what we're asking in the final product

also, 2000s movie tie in's being bad/ no idea what you mean - I still to this day play spiderman 2 on my PS2 because that is just pure glory

pure...glory.........................

oh yeah I fully understand the ramifications and constraints surrounding it. I'll always think it's a shame that it couldn't happen that way, but I also trust Frontier to at least still be listening and addressing our concerns by including as much of what we're asking in the final product

also, 2000s movie tie in's being bad/ no idea what you mean - I still to this day play spiderman 2 on my PS2 because that is just pure glory

pure...glory.........................

"MY BALLOON!"

From the gameplay I saw it looks like a polished version of JPOG. The dinos and guests are behaving the same way as What I remembered from JPOG. I’m really hoping that they tweak the AI. When the Ceratosaurus was in the Brachiosaurus enclosure...nothing happened. I would have liked to see the Brachiosaurus rear up and have the carnivore hiss or roar. Kinda a let down considering how long it’s been worked on. Well we have until June so we will see.

Here are some of mine, basically just a repeat of whats been said with a few extras that I'll start with:

-More management aspects. Having to provide fuel for your power stations, having to pay staff wages and keep staff happy, cleaning paths and general presentation.
-Improved animation execution. Individual animations are amazing however they do not mesh together well. Ceratosaurus and struthiomimus would line themselves up and wait 5 seconds before executing animation. It makes me imagine the dinosaurs are saying to each other "Hey bro, come over here we gotta do that animation"
-Improved AI. Herbivores not running from carnivores, guests all running in a straight line.
-More terrain options. Sand, swampy areas, mountains, deep water, ROCKS!!!!!!!, individual trees.
-More decorations for paths. It seems at this point everyone is going to have the same looking parks...

From the gameplay I saw it looks like a polished version of JPOG. The dinos and guests are behaving the same way as What I remembered from JPOG. I’m really hoping that they tweak the AI. When the Ceratosaurus was in the Brachiosaurus enclosure...nothing happened. I would have liked to see the Brachiosaurus rear up and have the carnivore hiss or roar. Kinda a let down considering how long it’s been worked on. Well we have until June so we will see.

Here are some of mine, basically just a repeat of whats been said with a few extras that I'll start with:

-More management aspects. Having to provide fuel for your power stations, having to pay staff wages and keep staff happy, cleaning paths and general presentation.
-Improved animation execution. Individual animations are amazing however they do not mesh together well. Ceratosaurus and struthiomimus would line themselves up and wait 5 seconds before executing animation. It makes me imagine the dinosaurs are saying to each other "Hey bro, come over here we gotta do that animation"
-Improved AI. Herbivores not running from carnivores, guests all running in a straight line.
-More terrain options. Sand, swampy areas, mountains, deep water, ROCKS!!!!!!!, individual trees.
-More decorations for paths. It seems at this point everyone is going to have the same looking parks...

That's an important point. We will all have very similar parks due to lack of customisation. The absence of any terrain or enclosure customisation (individual plants and rock etc) is really upsetting.

As you say, the dinosaur and guest AI is pretty lacklustre right now.

I've got a feeling this game is going to be a huge let down because of lack of customisation.

I'm no programmer, but surely additing cosmetics like individual rocks, trees, statues, benches etc isn't that difficult or time consuming?

I don't buy the argument that they're left out because of consoles either. JPog and other construction games had them for consoles and we're fine.

Then I'm worried that the only attraction we've seen is Gyrosphere. If that's the only ride then that is awful.

Finally, according to Bestinslot the monorail can't be edited and is automatically there. That is a stupid decision if accurate. I want to choose where it goes.

There were more negatives than positives from the gameplay footage. People say there's time to fix it. 2 months isn't long. They're not going to be able to change much.

For me it seems this game needs another 6 months of development.

I agree with this!

The new Jurassic World movie comes out June 22nd. It almost seems like they are rushing it in time for the movie. The in game footage we saw seems rather lackluster from what we were shown at the beginning. Watching back videos everything just seemed sharper and a really great AI. I guess I’ll have to wait and see. Hopefully I’m wrong and I’m blown away. This in game footage has made me very uneasy now though.

Top Bottom