Horizons Give up..

Is this just about giving CMDRs human targets to bounty hunt? Probably wouldn't work anyway, as the wanted 'target' is only wanted in one system, so a bounty hunter would be obliged to become wanted themselves taking them out in any but that system, and why would the wanted player stay in that system?

Anyone could enter Wanted, obviously, but wanted would have no choice in the matter. Anything that gets ride of the Solo cloaking exploit gets my vote. ATM, ED is just one big noncompetitive sports day. We might as well all go and throw beanbags through a hoop and all get Elite status even if we miss.

Obviously FD are locked into the current long list of exploits, with no hope of ever closing any of them for fear of floods of tears or a class action.

Yeah right, like when the offside rule was changed in football?

Derailing the argument won't help you, either bring up new arguments or let it go.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

It would never happen, no point even discussing it. What BigDuke6ixx suggest is a bad idea on so many levels. The Crime/punishment system & NPC response & use of deadly force needs a massive overhaul, forcing cmdr's into a mode is not the solution.

I know right, it's pretty obvious.

Anyone could enter Wanted, obviously, but wanted would have no choice in the matter. Anything that gets ride of the Solo cloaking exploit gets my vote. ATM, ED is just one big noncompetitive sports day. We might as well all go and throw beanbags through a hoop and all get Elite status even if we miss.

Obviously FD are locked into the current long list of exploits, with no hope of ever closing any of them for fear of floods of tears or a class action.

Well, first up, Solo is not an exploit, it's a mode choice... ;)

But the fact remains, that even if you could force a player into a wanted mode, all they would have to do is avoid the system where they are wanted, and they are untouchable, clean, and any bounty hunter who attacks them becomes wanted themselves. Utterly pointless.

As for ED being uncompetitive, well that's kind of how it is, how it's designed.

It would never happen, no point even discussing it. What BigDuke6ixx suggest is a bad idea on so many levels. The Crime/punishment system & NPC response & use of deadly force needs a massive overhaul, forcing cmdr's into a mode is not the solution.

What is then? ATM, a wanted can hide behind instancing and use Solo as a cloaking device to avoid bounty hunters. <--- Apparently that's not immersion breaking.

The only real argument (flimsy) any of you seem to have is the introduction of a forced mode upsetting people....oh the humanity!

Last edited:
What is then? ATM, a wanted can hide behind instancing and use Solo as a cloaking device to avoid bounty hunters. <--- Apparently that's not immersion breaking.

The only real argument (flimsy) any of you seem to have is the introduction of a forced mode upsetting people....oh the humanity!

Your idea is rediculous, I'm not even going to entertain you on that part.. The issue isn't Open/Solo, the problem is the legal system and consequences for psychotic cmdrs.

If I decided to role play as a psychopath, human bounty hunters in Open should not be my primary fear, just one of many ways to make my life difficult. Sarah is capable of programming challenging AI, a lot of it is watered down for newbie cmdrs.

I see no reason why they can't code police response and AI bounty hunters to scale with a player's actions, just like GTA, the more crazy you get the more heat is on you.

A psychopath or criminal should be fearing the consequences no matter what mode they are in.

Last edited:

I've read back a bit - what you appear to want is to force a CMDR into Open in a system they're wanted, is that right?

Let's forget the arguments about why security NPC's should be much beefed up (in certain system) to be able to handle real %&*^$ the law players. Instead lets look at the practical implications of this.

For whatever reason you become wanted in a system, later you go to Solo, for whatever reason (maybe just relaxing late at night with a beer and don't want to bother others - who knows). You jump back to the system you're wanted in but you can't or the game forces you back to the menu screen and only offers you Open.

Look this really just isn't practical. Apologies if that isn't your argument, although "the use of weapons" there isn't really a seemingly good improvement that can't be used for bad.*

PS Read "The use of weapons" by I.M.B. or even better Excession or The Player Of Games.

* Good and bad are totally subjective anyway.

Last edited:
If you accept, tons of players will leave and game and probably even threaten class action lawsuit.

Lawsuit?! LOLOLOL!

Tell me how many game-related class actions there have been, initiated by unhappy players. Do go on.
Lawsuits are just a way of hoisting the Stupid Roger (i.e.: if you're flying the stupid roger, you're stupid)

ok well i liked the idea of someone who is a griefer pker (As opposed to genuine pirate or pvp-er) not being able to go into solo and buy off their bounty somehow. i was going to suggest maybe a threshold, and maybe also only player deaths the pker has caused counting towards, but seems most people so far think it a bad idea.

the only other thing i can think of is if someones bounty from being a psycho reaches a certain level (be it against players or npcs) then an instant community goal appears, which flags up where they are at all times when you dock in a station, especially if they are in the current system. this would be explained by the actions causing attention of the major powers and system governing parties (maybe excepting anarchy) so a lot of military assets are tasked to discovering the whereabouts of the pker. the pker can not (once triggering the goal) do anything to reduce their bounty at all (alternative based on commanders getting added to the target of community goal; you can only reduce bounty and get removed as target if you turn on other commanders wanted in the community goal), only increase it. and the community goal lasts for set time period as with normal ones.

the community goal would cover all commanders who had reached the bounty - they get added to it as targets as they cross the threshold to trigger. maybe the community goal should just be there all the time... or maybe someone triggers it and before it ends a new commander reaches the threshold and then reset duration to 7 days. i dont see how to get a community reward other than an increased bounty % for destroying the wanted commanders if you join the goal which rises the more times you get one of them? because its possible some people are stupid enough to just keep rebuying or if the goal duration renews to 7 days because a new commander got added then it might never end for a reward.

anyway there are some ideas. maybe someone can use some of them and make a coherent thing out of them. and of course people in solo can still join the goal - but they will never be able to claim any bounties unless they leave and go to open!

Lawsuit?! LOLOLOL!

Tell me how many game-related class actions there have been, initiated by unhappy players. Do go on.
Lawsuits are just a way of hoisting the Stupid Roger (i.e.: if you're flying the stupid roger, you're stupid)
i think EA might have been sued a few times by people. i expect you can google for it.

Lawsuit?! LOLOLOL!

I certainly don't care if FD forces all players into Open mode, but I'm defending players that want to play in solo or private.

Also, you should probably come out of the cave you've been living under.

Google "class action lawsuit in video games," I'll bet there are plenty.

i think EA might have been sued a few times by people. i expect you can google for it.

I think he might be trolling.

ok well i liked the idea of someone who is a griefer pker (As opposed to genuine pirate or pvp-er) not being able to go into solo and buy off their bounty somehow. i was going to suggest maybe a threshold, and maybe also only player deaths the pker has caused counting towards, but seems most people so far think it a bad idea.

Apparently it's against the law and ridiculous. We'll all end up in court for a minor change in game modes. LOL!

Actually, I think I'll go griefing at Lave, just for the hell of it. I can buy a winder, die and revert back to clean (immersion breaking exploit?) any time I like. I can even hide from bounty hunters in Solo (immersion breaking exploit) whenever I like too. Yep, sure are lots of ways to cheat the 'justice' system in the game.

I certainly don't care if FD forces all players into Open mode, but I'm defending players that want to play in solo or private.

Also, you should probably come out of the cave you've been living under.

Google "class action lawsuit in video games," I'll bet there are plenty.

LOL: http://bfy.tw/5XUA

See anything of any relevance?

ok what about persistent game mode bounties? if you get a bounty in solo you can get rid of it as normal now, but if you get bounty from destroying players in open, and go to solo you dont have a bounty in solo, and when you return to open you still have the bounty you earned against players? but if solo is just one big exploit, maybe we should get rid of the 'only bounty from the controlling faction in their systems' exploit, and have a general bounty galaxy wide. this would mean anarchy systems were no longer lawless, and no need for kill warrant scanners since when you select any ship it would need to show if it was wanted no matter where it was or where the crimes were committed, but thats another sacrifice. and that way bounty hunters can kill wanted players anywhere with no chance to become wanted themselves. the pilots federation would have to be the governing authority, since its above the major and minor faction politics. if only there was a galactic government...

Last edited:
ok what about persistent game mode bounties? if you get a bounty in solo you can get rid of it as normal now, but if you get bounty from destroying players in open, and go to solo you dont have a bounty in solo, and when you return to open you still have the bounty you earned against players? but if solo is just one big exploit, maybe we should get rid of the 'only bounty from the controlling faction in their systems' exploit, and have a general bounty galaxy wide. this would mean anarchy systems were no longer lawless, and no need for kill warrant scanners since when you select any ship it would need to show if it was wanted no matter where it was or where the crimes were committed, but thats another sacrifice. and that way bounty hunters can kill wanted players anywhere with no chance to become wanted themselves. the pilots federation would have to be the governing authority, since its above the major and minor faction politics. if only there was a galactic government...

I don't think any of the modes can be tweaked or added to because FD will be sued apparently (LOL).

Last edited:
Pirates eh!

Love it when they interdict me and I just power away from them, keeping them at 8 "O" on my radar and just easing them out of range. Waste them many minutes in pursuit for nothing and no gain, priceless.

how about something simpler?
if someone gets killed by a griefer, give him the option
"never spawn in the same instance as your killer"
aka never play with this guy again, except maybe in conflict zones?
those ppl will isolate themselfes.

covert soloplay?
you can not remove that, since sometimes its the only way to avoid a group of griefers.

Basically, this just sounds like, "I don't want people to be able to get away from me, I want the game to hold them down helpless so that I can punch them."

If wanted players go to solo and stay there... problem solved? I mean, presumably the goal of punishing them is to get them to stop PKing, and they're not going to do a lot of that in solo.

you can not remove that, since sometimes its the only way to avoid a group of griefers.

I think my biggest issue with this debate is the usual assumption that the "main" game of Elite is Open, thereby other game-modes must operate to benefit Open state at the detriment of their own system. Solo isn't a subsidiary of Open, it is not a coward's spot or an "easy" mode. It's a state of play that some enjoy, free to indulge a personal immersive experience as they choose, and often are what they've enjoyed in games. Many Elite players come from eras before multi-player and just enjoy that mode.

The idea that Solo needs to be worked on because it causes some Open players irritation as Open players might exploit Solo mode and ruin some persona immersion, quite literally, Elitist. Solo works fine thanks. It doesn't need fiddling to try and make another mode "better".

Last edited:
i could help you and wing up to be your bodyguard and teach how to fight PVP in no time. I think game mechanics should development so that police forces is much stronger against meanless criminals, and they will respond faster. Game should also count Griefers so that they get cought also in stations when they land, and cant take off after so called "prison time", that would make them think twice if some kill was worth of that.
Also game should allow hire NPC wings and allied (green) NPC should help you if attacked. Unfortunately none of this concepts is not in game.
Mostly iam miss that if i get allied status on some NPC:s why the close ones dont come and help id your attacked by pirates. Does not make any sense for word allies

Last edited:
Top Bottom