Glaives (Hunter class ships) are overpowered and...

I agree with the OP, running a ship full of guardian modules/weapons is zero fun when a Hunter shows up. Can't avoid it, can't fight it, can't escape it. Feels like bad implementation of game content from this seat.

However, I do wonder if FDev are creating a problem so that they can then solve it with some sort of blocking utility module later on down the line.

They are certainly over powered at the moment, and seem to be designed for interdiction, which is an awful mechanic to begin with and just annoying when it can't be countered. They are brutal enough in CZs, but in interdictions they are fun-police dialed up to 11.
👆

During war, the main goal is to win.
If I do it easily on a regular Cutter, then my build and my weapons are more effective than yours.

(In The Nine Princes of Amber, Corwin stabbed someone from behind and said. This is war, not the Olympics.

If you think your weapons are more effective than Earth's, then I don't understand the problem. It's even easier for you than for me.
They are.

But FDev has now changed the rules of the chess game, while we are still playing the chess game, in the middle of a championship.

That is like cheating.

Glaives are the entrylevel "Cyclops"-tier difficulty of the Hunters.
There might very well be more dangerous ones being cooked up right now inside those Titans...

The purpose of any Army in any War is to use the best training, the best logistics, the best strategies, the best tactics and the best equipment to be as effective as possible in destroying/conquering the enemy. Nothing else matters. And Guardian Weapons and Cold Orbit are exactly that.
Your entire argument proves that the recently introduced Hunter-class vessels do just that for the Thargoids. Because it's a war.

Now it's up to us to adapt and overcome -- and it's probably Wycherley's Nemesis protocol that'll figure out a counter to the Guardian disruption fields.

When the Orphs and Waterworts showed up, the developers clearly made it clear.
I have no idea what you are talking here.

Throw away the weapons of the Guardians!
So, after spending weeks doing that grind, I should just throw them away? Really logical that gameplay loop!!! 🙄

Remember the movie Wrath of the Titans? You have to win like humans! And use Earth weapons!
It is starting to seem to me that you just didn't have the patience to go and unlock the Guardian Weapons and couldn't learn Cold Orbit. And that made you jealous of CMDRs who did.

So you are now just throwing a tantrum, trying to force others to play the way you want them to...

Glaives are the entrylevel "Cyclops"-tier difficulty of the Hunters.
Not really. Their tactics and combat skills are totally different. Training to destroy one will not let you understand what you need to destroy the other.

There might very well be more dangerous ones being cooked up right now inside those Titans...
I believe so. Therefore it is, in every way, logic to dial down the Glaives or the other variants will be invincible.

Your entire argument proves that the recently introduced Hunter-class vessels do just that for the Thargoids. Because it's a war.
Correct. You have a point.

But there are implementations that have to be corrected because gameplay is harmed by it. This is one of these cases.

Now it's up to us to adapt and overcome -- and it's probably Wycherley's Nemesis protocol that'll figure out a counter to the Guardian disruption fields.
I don't believe that. I think he will gives us more problems than before.

I just want to add: adv. multicanons (gimballed!), possibility use 5 or 6 AX weapons, shards able tear to shreds lower thargoids in seconds, new utility to strongly mitigate caustic damage, possibility to carry out significantly more heatsinks per single utility hp ... and I'm quite sure have forget some things (not enough?). Things have significantly changed on humans side, so at Thargoids, but imo still much less for them. Every commander can adapt or ... complain how things are unfair ... however each cmdr still have much wider options as he had anytime before.

... personally I support changing situation and imo there are also huge changes behind the scenes too.

Last edited:
That happens in war.
There are reasons for that, based on technological and strategical/tactical advancements. And you see their effect progressively. Even with disruptive technology like the jets in WW2. They were far superior but did not won the war for the Axis forces.

With FDev's Hunter-class ships, that is not what is happening. It is a sudden change that alters the rules of the game instantly. No progressive introduction of improved characteristics. It is a set of very specific purposely built gameplay-negating changes, through an EX-Machine device.

Last edited:
There are reasons for that, based on technological and strategical/tactical advancements. And you see their effect progressively. Even with disruptive technology like the jets in WW2. They were far superior but did not won the war for the Axis forces.

With FDev's Hunter-class ships, that is not what is happening. It is a sudden change that alters the rules of the game instantly. No progressive introduction of improved characteristics. It is a set of very specific purposely built gameplay-negating changes, through an EX-Machine device.
Which military forces have been doing constantly for at least four thousand years and the changes have not always been incremental. Indeed the shock of new rule changing elements is a major factor.

FDev gave us tools. The players invented the tactics to maximize the use of those tools. FDev should have expected that and be happy with it. Period.
What kind of tools are we talking about?
If I press the 3 key in the game, I see my hand on the JOYSTICK. Not on the mouse. That is, the developers assume that the ship must be controlled by the JOYSTICK.
I know several hundred commanders who do cold orbit on the keyboard and mouse (from auto centering the mouse) and only 2-3 who can do it on the JOYSTICK.
There have been 20 different suggestions on how to improve this and what ?

So what tools are we talking about?

I have no idea what you are talking here.
Orphs, if you get on their tail, your Guardian weapons will be disabled.
Whirlwinds - You are just there and your Sentinel weapons are damaged.

So, after spending weeks doing that grind, I should just throw them away? Really logical that gameplay loop!!! 🙄

It is starting to seem to me that you just didn't have the patience to go and unlock the Guardian Weapons and couldn't learn Cold Orbit. And that made you jealous of CMDRs who did.

So you are now just throwing a tantrum, trying to force others to play the way you want them to...
I've been in the ED since 2015, I have ALL of the guards' weapons, both regular and upgraded, 6 of each. It takes up too many holds in storage and is useless. But I don't regret discovering using THIS. It was a pre wartime game and it's gone !
Now war and new rules.
As for the cold orbit, I described above, and I do not depend only regret those players who are forced to throw away their joysticks and go to the keyboard and mouse because of the autocentric mouse.
They can not fully immerse themselves in the game, where the developers show that the ship must be controlled from the joystick.

What kind of tools are we talking about?
If I press the 3 key in the game, I see my hand on the JOYSTICK. Not on the mouse. That is, the developers assume that the ship must be controlled by the JOYSTICK.
I know several hundred commanders who do cold orbit on the keyboard and mouse (from auto centering the mouse) and only 2-3 who can do it on the JOYSTICK.
There have been 20 different suggestions on how to improve this and what ?

So what tools are we talking about?
I'm sure if you joined the AXI discord you'd find dozens (probably hundreds) of pilots who can cold-orbit with a joystick.

I'm sure if you joined the AXI discord you'd find dozens (probably hundreds) of pilots who can cold-orbit with a joystick.
Maybe that's true. But I find it hard not so much to fly as to aim with a gauss on the joystick, which has dead spots.
But here correctly written, the hunter is the enemy of the entry level. In fact, it's even easier than the Cyclops.

By the way on the site ANTI-хeno still no builds to combat hunters. And their builds for the vortex are a bit odd.

FDev gave us tools. The players invented the tactics to maximize the use of those tools. FDev should have expected that and be happy with it. Period.

If they didn't, it would be another stupid bratty move from FDev.

It is not for them to like it or not.

They have put the tools and the rules/conditions in game. The players used those tools, within the constraints made by FDev itself, and they found ways to maximize their own impact. All within the rules of the game.

FDev should be happy about the player's resourcefulness, not be irritated about it.
Fdev are very tolerant compared with many online games. We always need to consider its their IP and they will design it to meet their criteria. Single shotting a Cyclops solo was not intended behaviour as was cold orbiting.

The player base in every game find new ways not thought about by a game developer. Maybe the Glaive was originally planned, but my suspicion is that its design has been altered and this has gone too far, they can dial it back as part of the response to this thread and others and I applaud you for starting it.

As regards to constraints most never bother to look or actively seek to overturn them.
Spending time in this game can be rewarding, but the reality is most will build a meta and no further. The time of cold orbiting and Shard Condas is over.

What comes next will be driven by FDEV whether we like it or not.

Maybe that's true. But I find it hard not so much to fly as to aim with a gauss on the joystick, which has dead spots.
But here correctly written, the hunter is the enemy of the entry level. In fact, it's even easier than the Cyclops.

By the way on the site ANTI-хeno still no builds to combat hunters. And their builds for the vortex are a bit odd.
Agreed on the oddity lol

Which military forces have been doing constantly for at least four thousand years and the changes have not always been incremental. Indeed the shock of new rule changing elements is a major factor.
The best example of that was copper on English warships hulls 200 years ago allowing them to travel at great speeds as no barnacles could attach. So much so that the phrase copper bottomed policy entered into finance to signify a guaranteed and quicker outcome both in war and in trade.

Top Bottom