Graphics Improvements

That said, I do suffer on my set up from frame drops from time to time, not because my machine can't take it, but because the code is not optimised for my machine. I wish that frontier would run the source code though the Mac translator to make a dedicated Mac version; I would have absolutely stellar graphics then, currently my machine is really being abused/wasted.

Oh I don't mean to imply that photo realism is the next step up for elite, I was more referring to the above reference to unreal engine 5, and that seems to be where that engine is headed, I'm sure all will go that way in the end, it's kind of an inevitable conclusion of the graphics card race that's been going on now for 30 years or so.

But even photo realism is lightyears away, just look at the lack of anti-aliasing and the horrible tonemapping.
This is easy fix, just do it outside the game. Not sure how is it on Windows, but on Linux it is vkBasalt=ON in steam launch command.

Btw I thought about people have no complains ... changed my launch CMD from "mangohud gamemode" to "gamemode mangohud" and game looks much more stable. Returns to 60 fps in the space. Stiil, looking on bacteria is 30-40 fps, looking in the sky - 60 fps.

Upd: just got another thought, if you have not working AA ... it can be the difference. Because I have granted SMAA + something like DLC called (sharpening) slightly better then in-game settings, but for everywhere. If I set ideal looking one, it was 5-10 fps :D
Could be the reason why they don't rush to fix.

Last edited:
They already botched the last Graphics "update" and never fully fixed it. There are still paints, decals and Terrain areas, shadows..... and so much more that are broken to this day.

When i asked the support if my golden SRV paint job ever gets fixed, i basically but not specifically got confirmation that it will not.

So i personally would not want them to attempt another "update" on Graphics... i would be scared of how many things would be left broken after it got implemented.

This is easy fix, just do it outside the game. Not sure how is it on Windows, but on Linux it is vkBasalt=ON in steam

A working AA is a very basic thing in games, it's not something you should be trying to fix out-of-game.

That said, it's not even the #1 problem with Ody graphics for me. I'm playing this game on a 17" laptop screen in 2560x1600 with FXAA, I don't even use supersampling, and while it's certainly very far from perfect, there are a number of way more annoying bugs, glitches and whatnot, for example the constant flickering of shadows.

This is easy fix, just do it outside the game. Not sure how is it on Windows, but on Linux it is vkBasalt=ON in steam launch command.

Not any good fixes for Odyssey aliasing that don't have extreme trade-offs.

I highly doubt vkBasalt's builtin FXAA solution is good enough for those that are picky about image quality and I've tested various permutations of all kinds of AA shaders via Reshade. They either can't really put a dent in the worst offenders, or they add so much blur, or reduce performance so much, that the cure is worse than the disease.

I would settle for some decent Anti-Aliasing. The jagged orbital lines are horrible and wind me up.
I'm fairly sure that there is nothing that you can do about this other than getting an 8k res screen and a card that is capable of rendering at 16k (2*up sampling)
A yellow line on a black background that is sub pixel in dimension, is always going to cause glitches, unless your pixels are too small too make out by the naked human eye.

Use 2.0x supersampling, better than any AA.
*2 upsampling is anti aliasing in its best form, the thing is, its expensive to compute. The computer literally renders your image for a screen that is an order of magnitude larger, and then takes an average value for each pixel, there are a few different ways that this can be done, but basically that is all AA is.

Use 2.0x supersampling, better than any AA.
I tried this last night and my FPS just bottomed out. I have a very good computer and a 3080 as well.

I switched on Nvidia DSR on the card itself and enabled 4x. Then I followed the instructions to set it up in Gefoirce Experience and I have to say the game has not looked better. It's not made the orbital lines any prettier though. They still pixelate sometimes :)

It is already "improved" barely does 20 fps on RTX card when I see 5 different flowers in front of me.
Which RTX card?

I have an RTX 3080, and the game runs at a solid 4k @ 120 Hz (which is my display's native resolution and refresh rate) without the GPU even getting warm. Only when I am on foot at a station the framerate might drop to somewhere around 90, perhaps even 80.

Last edited:
Is it still broken?
That depends on individual interpretation.
Experts will tell us what is wrong, whether we have ever noticed these 'broken bits' whilst playing is moot.
So, yes it is still broken, and, no, it may not look like it. (apart from expert eyes, of course)

Apart from AA, which is not very good at all, so broken is probably accurate

Immersion...

Are we playing forum bingo?

bingo1.jpg
Not sure if this fits under "working as intended" but it should at least be a variant. That is a square for "all you have to do is go to this website, input this and that, install this mod, etc etc, its so easy and working as intended"

My contention, as always, is appearances and interest in visiting unique places will improve immensely if/when they're able to replace all the placeholder stuff. Placeholders include things like every support pillar in every starport having the same texture...very building on a ground site having the same numbers...every container having the same tracking number. Currently all they've been able to do is make some starports blue and some red plus the varying starport focusses. Every NPC walks the same paths, there is the same number of NPC's at each starport etc. I could go on for pages. Anyways, it's not tough to make those things more unique in a game where they have a system in place to make many planets/systems unique. Just another thing they're saving for a rainy day.

ED vs SC for graphics, well, ED has more bold designs and SC has less bold ones. You'll notice ships in ED dont need updating because they're bold shapes...a flying brick is a flying brick but they're still awesome looking. SC ships get facelifts all the time since they're a bit more like goo.

I was thinking about this again today, I can run at * 2 up sampling, and for the most part it is very smooth it looks gorgeous and the anti aliasing effect of doing this makes even the planetary orbit lines look nice, I'm running on a M1 ultra Mac Studio. The thing is that it drops frames from time to time, but in a way that suggests that it is how the code is running that is causing this, where my system is easily capable of running at this setting; If the hardware was being used well. I'd really love to have the game written for this machine, that would be so cool.

The issue with frame dropping from time to time, is only really in two cases, combat and super cruise overcharge.
The latter could be solved by having key presses read on a different loop from the game image rendering, but likely this would be impossible to add after the fact. The point being that when you try to turn it off, if there is a stagger due to the graphics, your key press is not registered :|

As for the styling, that can be changed to taste if the coders decide to update ships. But I think they are great, love that some look like old worn second hand cars and other have carbon finishes, some look like super yacht interiors, really is a nice and varied selection.

Last edited:
My contention, as always, is appearances and interest in visiting unique places will improve immensely if/when they're able to replace all the placeholder stuff. Placeholders include things like every support pillar in every starport having the same texture...very building on a ground site having the same numbers...every container having the same tracking number.

Who says that's placeholder though? Adding variety must be done manually (lots of work) or procedural.

Currently all they've been able to do is make some starports blue and some red plus the varying starport focusses.

Powerplay 2 will add more Concourse variety, but the sneak-previews show all the concourse layouts stay the same which is a pity. They could open up more areas of stations.

Back in 2015, there were only 2 station interior types (standard and fancy). Later they added agricultural, industrial, business, and asteroid interiors.

Every NPC walks the same paths, there is the same number of NPC's at each starport etc. I could go on for pages. Anyways, it's not tough to make those things more unique in a game where they have a system in place to make many planets/systems unique. Just another thing they're saving for a rainy day.

The devs have a limited budget so they didn't spend resources on implementing smart AI for free-walking NPCs in Concourses. The current concourses are a small fraction of the entire station. If they add more sections then it makes sense to implement it.

I would settle for some decent Anti-Aliasing. The jagged orbital lines are horrible and wind me up.

Seconded. Upgrading ED to DirectX 12 would enable a plethora of current-gen graphics tech.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom