Griefers make open impossible, and how easy the solution is.

Combat is not the only interaction that is possible in Open. Met many excellent CMDRs in Open who were up for a chat or cooperative play.

Heck, I wish griefers and gankers would extend their interaction beyond pew pew pew. When I'm in Open and get interdicted by one of these, I always try comms, never get a response, so just go for a cup of coffee while they are enjoying the PvP challenge of shooting a stationary T-6.

edit: The trick to being ungriefable is only go into Open when you don't care whether your ship gets destroyed.
I hope you at least fa off/roll a.k.a. "rotisserie spin", like how the npcs used to behave.

It's nearly two months so is open still impossible?

Depends on where you are? I met a nice CMDR in a res site last night. We winged up and put holes in a bunch of NPC spaceships together, then parted with another friend on the list. Was a rare event, but not impossible.

:D S

It's nearly two months so is open still impossible?

Griefers await in supercruise around literally every one of the billions of stars in the game, and still more guard the mailslots of literally every station. Also, each griefer is a real-life sociopath who lives a joyless existence in the dimly-lit bowels of their mum's basement, a stranger to both a woman's touch and friendship in general, smelling of stale junk food and body odor.

Word is still out as to whether they kick puppies while the game is updating.

Is this about the kicked puppies?
How could you 😭 😭 😭?
rosie.jpg

I do believe that the danger is kind of the point of open. NPCs don't really make anything feel dangerous and let's be honest as long as you can boost over 400 you can just run away from everything.

That said that danger is what's missing for griefers, system security can only do so much against blazing fast or crazy tank pvpers. I'd be fine with making griefers lives harder but I don't want that gameplay to go away either.

how many vertices does a star have in the game

does it depend on your graphics settings

good question. i haven't seen a config option for that (unless it's available in xml files?). i'd say polygon count is same for everybody except maybe in planet topography, and wild guess it would be only lowered at a distance as it would create problems driving over simplified surfaces.

2 points. The OP may be exaggerating a tad. I play in Open 99% of the time without incident. The only time I play in Solo is when I go to Jameson. When I've gone there in Open, I get attacked half the time. The last time was when I was Leaving the station and hadn't even gotten out of the no fire zone.

Which brings me to point #2. The Pilots Federation must be pretty lame if it can't protect the shipping lanes in its systems, especially to as busy a port as Jameson. Can you imagine what would happen if 50% of the shipping in and out of NYC or Los Angeles was sank by pirates? From an emersion point of view it stinks.

in

Nothing wrong with popping over to solo to avoid pvp when trying to get some engineeering done. Claiming the only way to not get destroyed by gankers is by avoiding open altogether is way over the top.

Wait what? In same post you say its okay to go solo for enginering AND at the same time saying solo/pg is exaggeration to adress ganking issue??
Just please dont say something like "you need go dolo only for eng/cg/mining systems" because that would be obviously
stupid- these are only systems where they sit, for obious reasons.

Surely there is nothing wrong, there are some gankers wanting to have open only and/or defending open as "not that hard". Also I just wanted to point out how are some of these lamers statements:

a) They keep saying that "if you would fit/eng your sip properly it would be hard/impossible to kill you" - while they are blocking key systems. Obviously because there is biggest chance to meet victim. But if they do so its... hypocrisy paramount?

b) Some of them asked they want valuable pvp? And that they struggle to get one?
And yet they gank in wings. In which case probability for any challenge in fight drop from low (pvp meta vs any other) to zero? i Result is always the same - either target will run away or will get destroyed. Like playing on cheats.

Which brings me to point #2. The Pilots Federation must be pretty lame if it can't protect the shipping lanes in its systems, especially to as busy a port as Jameson. Can you imagine what would happen if 50% of the shipping in and out of NYC or Los Angeles was sank by pirates? From an emersion point of view it stinks.
Is emersion the same thing as immersion? If so, & to maintain your emersion, consider that the Pilots federation is a club. Its like being in Saga or having an Amex. It doesnt prevent bad things happening to you, but it does mitigate some of the financial impact of bad things happening.

The last time actual RL Powers were in a hot-war with each other, lots of shipping was sunk coming out of NYC, especially before they learnt to turn their lights off.

So there's no need for it to break any immersion. You just need a bit of knowledge about the galaxy you play in and the world you live on.

I usually play solo, but every now and then I'll go online to find some CMDRs, and have some interaction. Every single time I did however, I have been interdicted and killed within 10 minutes of launching out of the station. You spawn, you try to fly somewhere and someone interdicts you and kills you without any thought or explanation. That's my complete experience with open. I'm fine with piracy and bounty hunting and all. But these people that just attack for no reason at all makes it that me, and a lot of people like me, don't want to play in open at all. Today I just wanted to screw around with some CMDRs at the community event. Never mind, cause they're waiting to kill you.

I have never, in a year of playing Elite, been in open and not been randomly killed by a griefer. Imagine that. Every time I played in open, a griefer has killed me (and no I have no open bounties). And the saddest thing is, I'm not even exaggerating. Open is completely useless. It has no upsides at all. Doesn't matter what you do, you risk everything on your run by playing in open. Whether you're exploring, mining, trading, bounty hunting or even pirating. All your hard work is ruined by some half-baked gently caresstard in a Challenger.

But instead of complaining, here's my solution: A scoring system. A simple one from the top of my mind: X / kills in the last X hours of play = S. If S < 3, the player is a griefer. IE 6 / 15 = 0.4 (meaning 15 innocent kills in the last 6 hours the player was online), which means this player is a griefer. This simple system can be upgraded to use the players full pvp history.

Punishment for players when the score drops below the threshold for the first couple of times:
  • Not be allowed to dock at any station (no repairs, resupplies, engineering, respawns, missions, etc).
  • Immediately be attacked by security forces in any inhabited system. And I'm talking constantly. As soons as the drops in the system the security forces should start interdicting. By doing this constantly, the annoyance of the griefer will be pushed to new levels and he'll stay away from inhabited systems.
  • Be made a large target for bounties. Players can go to a station, go to contacts and get contracts for griefers. With the reward around 1 million per player killed, hunting griefers becomes a liable option for people to make money. Besides, the community will ridding itself of the toxicity. The contracts update to let the hunter know where the griefer is (what system and where in the system). When the hunter attacks, the griefer has 2 options, Flee or fight. If they die, they have to wait for their score to rise before they can spawn in again (cause no griefers at stations). If they fight and win, they just killed another player with no bounty. So their score goes down even more, while more hunters will be on their way. Fleeing grievers will be on the run until their score rises enough. The worse their crimes, the longer they're on the run.

Harsh, but as we say in my country, a cookie of your own dough. You ruin the game for others, the game is ruined for you to.

Punishment for players who go below the threshold more than x times:

Flatout ban these players from playing in open for a week and put a strike on their account. If the player receives 3 strikes the account is banned, GG you played yourself.

I think this is fair because it has clear warnings, you can stop and better yourself at any point. If you get banned it's cause you simply don't do anything other that ruining the game for others. This system however leaves space for killing each other for RP reasons, I mean, you wanna be able to blast some imps on sight. I'm not against PVP, but I am against consistent pointless griefing. As many people are. And it's time Frontier did something about this, cause people have been complaining for years (I've followed the games development for a long time). Elite NEEDS a system. No one stands any real consequence of losing anything if they misbehave in game. The fine for killing a player for no reason is around 150.000 credits. If I saw 150.000 credits floating in space I wouldn't even bother to try and scoop it up. It's nothing, to anyone. Imagine if we had this system in place for murder in real life? You killed a random person now pay a 15 cents fine. It is laughable. There is a reason why you don't need to worry about being gunned down for no reason when going somewhere (except maybe if you live in the US); you murder, you go to jail for a long time. And no-one (sane) is willing to risk that for a stranger. But in Elite there are practically no consequences which is why it's out of control.

Real consequences = less griefing.

Simple as that. And quite frankly, Frontier has tried doing nothing for 5 years now and it clearly hasn't worked all that well. I'd give up space legs, fleet carriers and atmospheric landings for just some peace and interaction with other CMDRs. I've played this game for a year, and have been alone for the entire time. Despite all the hype, all the enthusiasm of people of how great the community is, I have only ever encountered the business end of railguns and plasma accelerators.

Open is impossible, inhospitable, toxic and frustrating , and quite frankly, it's beyond me why Frontier is not doing anything about it. The player pressing alt-f4 when he encounters a griefer is liable for a ban but the griefer is not. It's poor game design and it's poor community management. Frontier should be called out for it. Every other gamestudio actively fights toxicity, Frontier should as well.

I just left open to them and their willing victims. I joined a PVE only PG and only pop into open every now and again to see how long it takes for someone to try and blow me up!

The last time actual RL Powers were in a hot-war with each other, lots of shipping was sunk coming out of NYC, especially before they learnt to turn their lights off.
They were sunk for a purpose, not for the lulz by some random guys in private submarines preying on certain ships. And last time I checked ED great powers weren't in actual shooting war.

It's unimmersive as heck that the so-called powers of the galaxy are represented completely toothless - but I'm afraid it is unfixable.

Open is impossible, inhospitable, toxic and frustrating , and quite frankly, it's beyond me why Frontier is not doing anything about it. The player pressing alt-f4 when he encounters a griefer is liable for a ban but the griefer is not. It's poor game design and it's poor community management. Frontier should be called out for it. Every other gamestudio actively fights toxicity, Frontier should as well.

I haven't not played in open in over a year (except the odd spell of internet squiffyess), and I've only been attacked and killed once in that time.
And I even actively look for outlaws to engage around hotspots, and nothing. Lol

You gotta be doing something wrong. (Or I am)..

^^ I've been flying Open for over a year. I was a dedicated solo player for a couple years, but that's a story for another day.

Fwiw, Griefing is alive and well around systems paying high credits for painite and I suppose VOs and LTDs. Beware miners. I'm sure this has been discussed before but yesterday was the first time in a long time I was pulled from SC and killed by (a pair of) human pilots. GL HF and be vigilant fellow Miners

I haven't not played in open in over a year (except the odd spell of internet squiffyess), and I've only been attacked and killed once in that time.
And I even actively look for outlaws to engage around hotspots, and nothing. Lol

You gotta be doing something wrong. (Or I am)..

Almost all I see at Jameson is open squares (and triangles) when I switch over to open. So maybe you are doing something wrong...

Top Bottom