Ships Hardpoints loadout Chieftain

Alright, so I just bought my Chieftain and want to mess around with the options for hardpoint loadouts. I would like to hear what are you guys trying out?

I am currently running with

1 Large Beam Laser
1 Large Multicannon
1 Medium Beam Laser
3 small multicannons

I tried to go for a 1/2 Kinetic 1/2 Thermal type build, but I'd love to hear what you guys are using.

I generally hate asymetrically damage setups, I used to go all in on multicannons, then I discovered efficient beams :)
The wierd (but strangely fantastic) setup on the chieftain just begs to mix and match.
This is what I’ve ended up with:

One large beam (efficient gr 3)
One large multicannon (overcharged gr 3 with corrosive)
Three small beams (efficient gr 3 - one of them with thermal vent, really good btw)
One medium multicannon (overcharged gr 3 with thermal damage effect)

I have two setups
A). One large beam + three small beams
B). One large beam + one large multi + one meium multi + one smal beam (with thermal vent)

For small targets I use A beams only - everything melts in seconds and I don’t spend ammo

For elite targets (high hull resistance targets), medium and large targets I melt the shields with A and switch to B when shields are down for ekstra hull damage.

I find it important to have a medium and large multicannon for the better penetration on hulls.

The three small beams and one large beam is sufficient for any shield setup (pve) that I’ve encountered so far

The setup is pretty energy efficient and heat generation is kept down by the thermal vent.

I generally hate asymetrically damage setups, I used to go all in on multicannons, then I discovered efficient beams :)
The wierd (but strangely fantastic) setup on the chieftain just begs to mix and match.
This is what I’ve ended up with:

One large beam (efficient gr 3)
One large multicannon (overcharged gr 3 with corrosive)
Three small beams (efficient gr 3 - one of them with thermal vent, really good btw)
One medium multicannon (overcharged gr 3 with thermal damage effect)

I have two setups
A). One large beam + three small beams
B). One large beam + one large multi + one meium multi + one smal beam (with thermal vent)

For small targets I use A beams only - everything melts in seconds and I don’t spend ammo

For elite targets (high hull resistance targets), medium and large targets I melt the shields with A and switch to B when shields are down for ekstra hull damage.

I find it important to have a medium and large multicannon for the better penetration on hulls.

The three small beams and one large beam is sufficient for any shield setup (pve) that I’ve encountered so far

The setup is pretty energy efficient and heat generation is kept down by the thermal vent.

That's pretty interesting. I never used a build like that. I usually just have laser (or something like that) for shields and then some kinetic weapons for the hull. If the target is small enough I usually don't bother with the kinetic and just melts them away, but I never set up a ship with two different groupings based on the target.

That's pretty interesting. I never used a build like that. I usually just have laser (or something like that) for shields and then some kinetic weapons for the hull. If the target is small enough I usually don't bother with the kinetic and just melts them away, but I never set up a ship with two different groupings based on the target.

It’s pretty simple to use, I play on ps4, and switching between groupings are easy on the controller. Most videos with mixed weapon setups generally use one trigger for lasers and another for kinetic and/or PACs. I hate having to use both triggers during combat, it’s easier to switch ‘my way’ between dedicated groupings.
My second trigger option is always set up for the advanced scanner. This makes transitioning between combat and system jumping simpler also.

I have two large effecient plasmas, three small fixed beams (two overcharged and an efficient) that I've been playing with swapping for long-range rails, and a medium rapid-fire burst laser chin-turret.

It’s pretty simple to use, I play on ps4, and switching between groupings are easy on the controller. Most videos with mixed weapon setups generally use one trigger for lasers and another for kinetic and/or PACs. I hate having to use both triggers during combat, it’s easier to switch ‘my way’ between dedicated groupings.
My second trigger option is always set up for the advanced scanner. This makes transitioning between combat and system jumping simpler also.

I play on the Xbox, so I know what you mean about switching firegroups being easy. You actually gave me a great idea. I always found it annoying to have to switch firegroup in order to use defensive equipment (Chaff, Cell Banks, etc) I might just set the defensive item on the left trigger and set up multiple firegroups with different combinations.

I play on the Xbox, so I know what you mean about switching firegroups being easy. You actually gave me a great idea. I always found it annoying to have to switch firegroup in order to use defensive equipment (Chaff, Cell Banks, etc) I might just set the defensive item on the left trigger and set up multiple firegroups with different combinations.

You don't have to switch fire groups to deploy defensive measures. At least not on PS4. I have Chaff and SCB set to button combinations - O+ L1 for Chaff, O + R1 fir SCB (I think your L1 & R1 are referred to as bumpers?). So no matter which weapon fire group I am using, defenses are quick and easy.

Only just got mine and so still experimenting but so far have 2 efficient PA's in the large slots and short range rails in the remainder. Power consumption is fine (PP and PD are mildly engineered) but it kicks out a lot of heat. I invariably come home with heat damaged modules. Nothing malfunctioning though.

I am having some problems with the convergence on the rails (Either the chin medium or the 3 top smalls hit, but not both) when firing on smaller ships at closer ranges so might needs to tweak that. On anything larger than a FAS though I'm glued to their 6 and hitting with everything I have. Love this ship!

2 OC Large MCs
1 SM Med Rail
3 LR Small Pulses

It's a great res zone farmer and fun to fly.

Going to try CZ tomorrow.

2 OC Large MC's
1 Med LR Plas TL break
3 LR Rail 2xPen 1xCas
everything G5 with specials.

Tasty.

G5 DD's really rock with special

I love this ship

1x Lrg. Eff. Pulse w/ Phasing
1x Med. Eff. Pulse w/ Phasing
1x Lrg. L/R Cannon w/ Auto Loader
2x Sml. Eff. Pulse w/ Scramble
1x Sml. L/R Cannon w/ Auto Loader

Just the aChief's version of my long duration combat build. The aChief is simply a beast. I'll be flying it for the foreseeable future.

A large plasma accelerator and 3 small railguns in the center cluster. The Chieftain’s awesome hardpoint layout gives these virtually the same aiming point.

I have turreted beam lasers on the top large and bottom medium hardpoints. Works best with G4/5 powerplant and distributor, but with both stock A-rated, I was getting decent power/heat management with turreted pulse lasers.

Most of you might already know this trick but I just figured it out so I’ll share. Turrets can act as a “tertiary” fire mode if you map them to the same trigger as a non-turreted weapon in a fire group. E.g., I have them mapped to the same button as my rail guns. I tap the fire button to activate the beam turrets, but since the rails require a charge time to fire, they don’t go off until I’m ready to use them. Meanwhile the beam turrets are firing autonomously.

I keep two fire groups, one with the turrets over-mapped, one without. So to deactivate them and use the rails wihout the beam turrets constantly firing, I can just quickly toggle fire groups.

Like I said I just figured this out and it works great on the Chieftain, handy for small annoying ships, while also being easy to toggle off for extended fights with larger ships, or if your opponent pops chaff.

You don't have to switch fire groups to deploy defensive measures. At least not on PS4. I have Chaff and SCB set to button combinations - O+ L1 for Chaff, O + R1 fir SCB (I think your L1 & R1 are referred to as bumpers?). So no matter which weapon fire group I am using, defenses are quick and easy.

I'm on Xbox and have chaff set to rb+lb at the same time .
You could set it up so it uses a shield cell bank and heat sink as well it defiantly saves on the fire group swapping.

I'm running 3+1 Rails and two large multicannons.
I'm not really serious about the whole fighting thing and this setup is fun. :)

Top Bottom