HOTAS Support

Come on guys, convince me I need this Thrustmaster and that a DS4 just will not cut it at Elite. (muh immershon arguments don't count as that's not an issue for me).

Purely from a controller vs controller point of view.

I would think you are already convinced my friend...:cool:

it is just that your bank balance hasn't caught up with your heart yet! I bought the Thrustmaster this week and it's pretty nifty. It is a bit 'plasticky' yes, but the joystick is pretty solid with an adjustable sensitivity on the base. Throttle has a half throttle rest point and all the buttons are pretty easy to the fingers I would say. I think its going to be a lot easier to manipulate in flight than DS4 but i guess i wont know until i try both. But - it seems like the general consensus is that a HOTAS is a great idea for a flight-sim.

Regarding using it on a couch - i have a couch, and I'm pretty sure its not an insurmountable problem.

5.jpeg

Allready made a lot of progress in building a "Poor Man´s Cockpit" based on HOTAS and the Playseat Challenge PS4 Edition:

Thanks for sharing this, you've clearly thought a lot more about this than I have! I wondered how much range the cable gave you between the stick and throttle. The website only shows a small amount.

Come on guys, convince me I need this Thrustmaster and that a DS4 just will not cut it at Elite. (muh immershon arguments don't count as that's not an issue for me).

Purely from a controller vs controller point of view.

Ill be using the DS4 on day 1 but will be keeping an eye on the HOTAS after release. Its too early to compare the two IMO since neither has been publicly tested with the PS4 build of Elite. Both work for the PC version just fine, but with added features of DS4 being used on console I'm more keen to try DS4 out before deciding on a HOTAS

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Ill be using the DS4 on day 1 but will be keeping an eye on the HOTAS after release. Its too early to compare the two IMO since neither has been publicly tested with the PS4 build of Elite. Both work for the PC version just fine, but with added features of DS4 being used on console I'm more keen to try DS4 out before deciding on a HOTAS

That is the way I am leaning, I was just curious if someone could give me a compelling reason to buy a Thrustmaster, but I think I will try DS4 first and see how it goes.

I know Oolite is not Elite, but the thrust control in that is mapped to up/down on the right stick with yaw being left/right. Centre is 50%, full up %100 and full down 0%, but you have to keep it there. This means (for me at least) that full thrust without presenting any yaw is nigh on impossible! Now I am hoping that this is not the case on the DS and that you will push the stick to a level and it will stay there when you release it.

BTW: here's the cheap IKEA option for those of you in the UK.

Thanks for sharing this, you've clearly thought a lot more about this than I have! I wondered how much range the cable gave you between the stick and throttle. The website only shows a small amount.

The seat is 54cm wide and the cable Is only just about enough, there is not a centimeter left. Originally I planed to attach it to the front bow together with the rest of the cockpit ( wich will add a lot of Electronics that allow for extra buttons & gaouges ( not for ED but working with PC as well as PlayStation ). With the newly designed holder system it will be perfect since I need some cm less.

the he position proved normal be relaxing and you would have had to,lengthen the cable of the Hotas. Thinner solution is very comfy and you sit in here chair at a quit laid back position. Feels like sitting in a modern jet fighter! I just ordered one set of laser Sinters ( only fo one side right now ) to prove the design ( 100€ :-( ) and will order the second set once it proves to be well fit.

i'll also get a quotation for injection mold parts as soon as i'am ok with the design. I am quit positive I can make then complete set to mount the T.Flight for less then 50€ in mass production.

Last edited:
Its too early to compare the two IMO since neither has been publicly tested with the PS4 build of Elite.

Ed Lewis unveiled the Thrustmaster at PAX East - so i assume while it may not have been 'publicly' tested - it can be inferred that FD have tested it internally or they wouldn't be daft enough to unveil it as an option.

The DS4 was the controller that Ed used on the PAX East live stream while he played and he commented on its use even - using the touchpad with two figures for galaxy map navigation for example.

Caveat: they have acknowledged that it was a 'PS4 Build' example and not a PS4 example - so make of that what you wish.

Ed Lewis unveiled the Thrustmaster at PAX East - so i assume while it may not have been 'publicly' tested - it can be inferred that FD have tested it internally or they wouldn't be daft enough to unveil it as an option.

The DS4 was the controller that Ed used on the PAX East live stream while he played and he commented on its use even - using the touchpad with two figures for galaxy map navigation for example.

Caveat: they have acknowledged that it was a 'PS4 Build' example and not a PS4 example - so make of that what you wish.

Hey! Yeah - it was running on a PS4 test kit, which as Gary puts it in another post... it's the closest thing to release you're going to get without actually releasing it. It was just an HDMI in to the test kit and that's it. The DS4 is a joy to use with the game.

I have played the game with the Thrustmaster... it works just like any HOTAS does on the PC. It works well, and the customisation for control options are all there too.

Deleted member 110222

D
Hey guys. I've decided to try a HOTAS again, so I'm going to buy a HOTAS X today!

For PC naturally, but if my choices in gaming are anything to go by, a stick built for a console will be more my cup of tea.

Hey! Yeah - it was running on a PS4 test kit, which as Gary puts it in another post... it's the closest thing to release you're going to get without actually releasing it. It was just an HDMI in to the test kit and that's it. The DS4 is a joy to use with the game.

I have played the game with the Thrustmaster... it works just like any HOTAS does on the PC. It works well, and the customisation for control options are all there too.

Thanks for that :) ..ill probably just stick it out with the ds4 myself, just a few more weeks of waiting, currently working my way through the galactic interns adventures

Btw, the PS4 version - while I won't get one, please tell me it will support PSVR!

from the FAQ

Elite Dangerous is a flagship VR game on PC so of course VR is important to us. It’s definitely something we’re looking into, but we have nothing to announce for launch

Did you find any indication if the customisation supports mouse & keyboard? The PS4 sure does!

My extra buttons on the Poor Man's Cockpit will be able to emulate USB Keynoard so having the option to customise Controls to Keyboard would be killer-app for that!

So now the pieces of the playseat holder are on order I started to design Adapters for the TFlight.

Here is a first impression of it as seen from pilots position

image001.png

And another from front

image001.png

The Stick will fit the Adapter as it does normally fit the Throttle Part and will be fixed to it using the original screws. The TFlight Apater is on the frontmost position in these shots but it can be moved back by approx 10 cm or anything in between to maximize personal comfort!

If there is intresst i can do Adapters for other Hotas as well ( i only did the Hotas 4 right now because it works for PC and PS4! wich suits me perfectly )

Once the electronics for the Poor Man's Cockpit is done ( i'll show you soon ) there only will be a single USB cord to be pluged in even if rudder throttle and stick use separate cords. The Cockpits Controller also features an integrated USB 2.0 Hub with three free connections, one of wich will support charging wit 2.5A ( for my tablet :) wich will get mounted in the center of the front strud as tradeing computer etc. )

Last edited:
I have just bought the Thrustmaster HOTAS 4 in anticipation of the PS4 Elite Dangerous release; seems very similar to the previous PC/PS3 version, except that the buttons on the base of the thrust controller are 'PS' 'share' and 'options' (none of which can be customised for in-game functions, I assume, apart from maybe the 'options' button?).

So I can't help wondering, with its more limited button layout, how will the game's complex and varied controls be covered by this flight stick? Even with the PC I have to use the keyboard for additional functions which couldn't be mapped to the stick. How will this work with the PS4 version? I also hope that the controller configuration can be customised, as I have gotten so used to my current PC layout...

That said, being a PS4 owner as well, I couldn't resist getting the HOTAS 4 for this game. Elite Dangerous is a perfect fit for this controller, IMO.

Last edited:
I know it's a silly question. Does this thrustmaster have rudder twist?

Sure, the T.Flight offers a Total of three rudder options:

1) Stick twist which also can be mechanically locked if you do not use it
2) rudder rocker on front of the Trottel
3) real rudder called TFRP (99€) wich can be plugged into a special port on the stick

I personally have the extra rudder. On PC at least you can use the stick in a 6 axis config wich allows you to use all of the three options for different functions. In Elite on PC i have yaw an the TFRP horizontal trusted on the twist stick and vertical trustees on the trottle Rocker.

TFRP is working on PS4 as well ( for War thunder right now but not in EVE )

Last edited:
Top Bottom