How do you feel about ganckers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Giving rise to yet further feelings about gankers, I feel I have now been twice accused, of a first accusation (ganking) now in one day. I guess I should roll with it and become known as an avid ganker.

That wasn't the kind of ganking I meant though; I meant to gank the argument.

I'll make you a deal let's wing up and consider that argument ganked here.

Anyway the feelings keep coming.. it sounds like in that system CMDR Rebel Yell mentioned about rock throwing, that sounds like it might be easier than finding a CQC matchup. I feel I've gotta try it sometime

fans self Phew! All these feelings about gankers. O7

Last edited:
CMDR Husky of Snow said:
How do you feel about ganckers?
penny noon said:
... uh .. no answers

Hey now to freshen the postcast mix I have inquired of a late teenager (not an Elite player) in the abstract:

The Own of Noon in RL said:
Son, how do you feel about gankers?
A Son of the RL Own of Noon said:
That depends which side I am on

Ha ha!

Last edited:
While I agree with the general sentiment, you're not comparing like for like. When it comes to PvP, I would rank general skills at that niche in the following tiers:
  • PvPers
  • Mixed PvP/PvE players
  • PvP inclined PvE players, like myself
  • Player killers, AKA gankers
  • combat oriented PvE players
  • PvE players in general
PvE players aren't PvE players because they haven't learned PvP. They're PvE players because they have zero interest in PvP, and thus won't learn it, anymore than a combat oriented PvE player will learn to mine. Which is why player-killers target them nearly exclusively. Which in turn is why they tend to be the most predictable in PvP, and react poorly when you don't follow their "script." PvE players are just as predictable as NPCs, in their own way.

As I said earlier, if you want to be in Open, you don't need to be a good PvPer to survive. You just need to be better than the player-killers, which isn't that hard to do IME. But you have to have the desire to learn in the first place, which is something PvE players have no interest in.
How does one become better, is it really just submit, boost boost boost till your behind them while spinning up fsd

In fact lets put this another way (because I'm starting to repeat myself here).

lets say i was in the bubble, i crank up the Top Gun sound track, put on my leet PvP flying pants and head to a contested system in my heavily engineered Corvette for some Anti Ganking combat in Open (you can lecture me on irony later!).
After a while its apparent that gankers don't want to fight an equally geared ship so bored i head back to the Carrier and head out in one of my mining ships for some gentle rock breaking.
At what point in my journey did i suddenly become a worse pilot?

Also going back to the 'PVE is Dull' comment, im currently mapping systems in Rykers with some friends based on some Raxxla hypothesis.
I spend a lot of my time exploring generation ships and areas of Lore.
We also map Guardian ruins and are trying to figure out a greater understanding of why they are there.
During this i have seen some amazing sights and risked life and limb landing on some stupidly high G planets.

As a PvPer you do what? sit in a system hoping someone in a trading ship passes by? :ROFLMAO:

Which of the above is really dull?

O7
If you are working on lore stuff, please tell me what you've come up with! I love this game and thus want to earn more about the lore.

For everyone else, if you like lore, reach out, I'd love to get a group going to dig into what this game has to offer

Last edited:
That's not exactly true... let's have a drilldown at the Inara security report (just c&p right now):

View attachment 382297

Even accounting in full Shinrarta, all murders vs. cr/\pboats are like less than 30% of the total, whilst only counting PvPers spots kabooms + all legit or pseudo-legit wars/powerplay related ones the figure is at least 45% of the total. Of course such % may change depending on various CGs, initiatives or GalNet posts (or searches for something) but bottom line those figures just say that ganks do not have big relevance in terms of numbers among the Inara subscribers (this is a clear limit of the available information, but that's all we have unless FDEVs provide them for the whole active players' base).
The LBN 623 Sector fight was a VFR exercise in a Lagrange cloud among friends, we did that in Open too! :D

PvP is fun and I like when spaceship go boom, including sometimes my own if it's funny enough. Having a lore/roleplay/piracy rationale behind it just makes it all the better, especially with the recent Samash Signal event last October. They basically canonized murderhobos.

The LBN 623 Sector fight was a VFR exercise in a Lagrange cloud among friends, we did that in Open too! :D

PvP is fun and I like when spaceship go boom, including sometimes my own if it's funny enough. Having a lore/roleplay/piracy rationale behind it just makes it all the better, especially with the recent Samash Signal event last October. They basically canonized murderhobos.

Yup! So my guess about the system popping on the Inara security report was right 👈 thanks for the headsup!

Indeed about kabooms! We had a few pewpew fun events in Harma with either silly or unengineered ships and was a blast (and yeah I've kaboomed too ahaha :LOL: )

lots of opinions on this thread,how many players when intridicted by a ganker play the mini game and evade,in my opinion a lot of them rely on you submitting and ive often beaten them in the mini game,i can imagine them jumping around there seats trying to pull you down lol.cursing when they fail.

How does one become better, is it really just submit, boost boost boost till your behind them while spinning up fsd
"Better" can be interpreted in a number of ways here. High waking out is the last in a pretty long list of events that lead up to the rebuy screen.
Breaking the chain at any point will avoid that.
Starting with which systems are you moving through? Is there a concentration of traffic that would likely attract a ganker?
Are you keeping an eye on your scanner? Do you know which ships to watch for? Do you know what position they have to be in to interdict?

answer is yes yes yes to all been at it a long time.as for scanner its a give away when you can see them trying to get into position,looping over them and trying to intridict them can be fun.

"Better" can be interpreted in a number of ways here. High waking out is the last in a pretty long list of events that lead up to the rebuy screen.
Breaking the chain at any point will avoid that.
Starting with which systems are you moving through? Is there a concentration of traffic that would likely attract a ganker?
Are you keeping an eye on your scanner? Do you know which ships to watch for? Do you know what position they have to be in to interdict?
Like I've mentioned before, I've never got into a fight without actively looking for one.

Even my very first kill, another player in a CZ that picked the opposing side to me when they arrived, I made the decision to engage them before they engaged me.
Maybe that makes me more aggressive than the average player? Who knows, but that wouldn't be difficult either.

Looking at my inara combat history, there are several "interdicted by" entries in hotspot systems before I actually made that kill, so was evidently looking for trouble for a good while before I took the leap to causing some. They seem to start some time after I decided to disregard reddit's warnings about open being some sort of thunderdome galactic deathmatch and see for myself - where I found absolutely nothing of the scaremongering they keep going on about, actively went looking...

About a year later is the point where I see all the entries in the mining system when I went on my piracy kick, but honestly ditching my AMD graphics card for one that didn't hard-reboot my machine at random was probably a greater factor in my really getting into pvp.

If it’s reached the point where you’ve been unwillingly interdicted, you’ve actually failed a number of times. This is true for PvP and PvE, but PvP gives you more options to deal with this scenario.
  • Your first failure is that you’ve chosen a direct route to your destination. The direct route is bad for a couple of reasons:
    • It’s the slowest. It usually keeps you near the arrival star where speeds are slowest. It also takes you through the plane of the ecliptic, which is full of mass, some of which may be unseen, which will also slow you down.
    • It’s full of stuff on the scanner, making it easier to miss something.
    • Speed = Sensor range. The faster you are going, the more ships you’ll see.
    • It usually gives you a bad angle of approach to your destination, taking you past unnecessary moons, a bad view of its layout, or both.
  • You’ve failed at awareness. You’re out of the plane of the ecliptic, and gaining speed. Now it’s time to take stock of the situation.
    • Go to the comms panel, and open the players panel. That’s your first clue that you’re not alone in this instance.
    • Orient your ship so that all the mass of the system is on one side of your display.
    • All NPC, and most player, traffic will be in the plane of the ecliptic. If you see a ship rising out of the ecliptic, it might be after you if it’s a player, and it will be after you if it’s an NPC. If it's an NPC, proceed to your destination, and gravity brake at the end. You'll have more than enough of a lead at this point that they won't catch up unless you follow the horridly slow "six second rule."
  • You've failed to assess the situation correctly.
    • You potentially have a hostile player in your vicinity. It's time to determine if they're actually hostile.
    • Head directly away from the ecliptic plane. You want both time and distance to assess the situation, and this'll give you both.
    • Target the ship.
      • If it isn't a combat ship, then it's likely not a threat. Proceed to your destination. Keep them targeted just in case.
      • If the ship isn't pointed at you, then it's likely they're en route to their destination. Proceed to your destination. Again, keep them targeted, just in case.
      • If they are pointed at you, you've got a hostile player behind you.
This is the point where it's no longer a "ganker and victim" scenario. It's a PvP scenario. You have the initiative and the higher ground. You're in control of the scenario. You're rocketing towards deep space, and there's nothing they can do to catch up, until you reach speeds of 2001c. It's time to decide what to do about it.

• You can simply jump out of the system. They'll be out of position for a while, or they'll jump out and back. Either way, you'll hopefully have enough of a lead to reach your destination this time.
  • You can head out into deep space. You have a "ganker" on your six, and you're safe for a long while. If you're in a CG system, while they're futilely chasing you, they're not attacking others. So see who'll get bored first. Feel free to strike up a friendly conversation with them if you're so inclined.
  • You can proceed to your destination anyways, knowing that they're behind you. It's a rare ganker that can successfully interdict someone who's gravity braking. They're more likely to plow into the celestial body, or overshoot, instead. Just don't throttle down and submit accidentially.
  • You can fake a jump out at any point. Spool up your FSD while targeting a star behind you. Then do an emergency drop out of Supercruise. Chances are they won't notice the difference, will be slow to react even if they do, so you can orient yourself towards your destination, and reenter Supercruise that way.
  • You can look at this as a learning situation, and let them try to interdict you a few times. Unfortunately, there's no counter to the huge advantage an engineered FSD has, but still it's good practice either way. Once they succeed, you'll also get valuable experience trying to stay in theirsix while evading their hostile fire. If you're in good shape, feel free to low wake out, and let them try again.
    • Most of them will get the message after a couple of futile attempts to destroy your ship, and leave you alone after that. Most. I had one genius do this to me seven times, before I got bored of the whole situation and messaged them, "You realize I'm willing to do this all the way to the station, right?" There wasn't an eighth. :D
Naturally, if you chose the last option, you should be flying a ship that's more durable than wet toilet paper, and more nimble than a beached whale, which is a good idea in general. But the most important thing is, you're aware of the threat, and you're willing to be in this situation. You won't be wasting those precious few seconds after you drop, startled and confused. And that can make all the difference in the world, especially if you don't make an easy target of yourself by following the common forum advice of "boost boost boost jump."

Oh, and I've mentioned "gravity braking" a few times. It's a way of getting to your destination faster than the common forum advice of the "six second rule." Here's a comparison video below.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4zca1yjKw&ab_channel=furrycatvideos

Last edited:
Oh, and I've mentioned "gravity braking" a few times. It's a way of getting to your destination faster than the common forum advice of the "six second rule." Here's a comparison video below.

SCA fast drop off kinda beats them all - and if it fails to drop you at the station because you stretched it too much, it's still faster than the loop of shame.
And yea, while having the skills to do a planetary brake is nice, relying on tech is not exactly the opposite. It's just about making use of the tools at your disposal.
Edit: and using the planetary brake can make the SCA drop off even faster - conditions permitting of course

If it’s reached the point where you’ve been unwillingly interdicted, you’ve actually failed a number of times. This is true for PvP and PvE, but PvP gives you more options to deal with this scenario.
  • Your first failure is that you’ve chosen a direct route to your destination. The direct route is bad for a couple of reasons:
    • It’s the slowest. It usually keeps you near the arrival star where speeds are slowest. It also takes you through the plane of the ecliptic, which is full of mass, some of which may be unseen, which will also slow you down.
    • It’s full of stuff on the scanner, making it easier to miss something.
    • Speed = Sensor range. The faster you are going, the more ships you’ll see.
    • It usually gives you a bad angle of approach to your destination, taking you past unnecessary moons, a bad view of its layout, or both.
  • You’ve failed at awareness. You’re out of the plane of the ecliptic, and gaining speed. Now it’s time to take stock of the situation.
    • Go to the comms panel, and open the players panel. That’s your first clue that you’re not alone in this instance.
    • Orient your ship so that all the mass of the system is on one side of your display.
    • All NPC, and most player, traffic will be in the plane of the ecliptic. If you see a ship rising out of the ecliptic, it might be after you if it’s a player, and it will be after you if it’s an NPC. If it's an NPC, proceed to your destination, and gravity brake at the end. You'll have more than enough of a lead at this point that they won't catch up unless you follow the horridly slow "six second rule."
  • You've failed to assess the situation correctly.
    • You potentially have a hostile player in your vicinity. It's time to determine if they're actually hostile.
    • Head directly away from the ecliptic plane. You want both time and distance to assess the situation, and this'll give you both.
    • Target the ship.
      • If it isn't a combat ship, then it's likely not a threat. Proceed to your destination. Keep them targeted just in case.
      • If the ship isn't pointed at you, then it's likely they're en route to their destination. Proceed to your destination. Again, keep them targeted, just in case.
      • If they are pointed at you, you've got a hostile player behind you.
This is the point where it's no longer a "ganker and victim" scenario. It's a PvP scenario. You have the initiative and the higher ground. You're in control of the scenario. You're rocketing towards deep space, and there's nothing they can do to catch up, until you reach speeds of 2001c. It's time to decide what to do about it.

• You can simply jump out of the system. They'll be out of position for a while, or they'll jump out and back. Either way, you'll hopefully have enough of a lead to reach your destination this time.
  • You can head out into deep space. You have a "ganker" on your six, and you're safe for a long while. If you're in a CG system, while they're futilely chasing you, they're not attacking others. So see who'll get bored first. Feel free to strike up a friendly conversation with them if you're so inclined.
  • You can proceed to your destination anyways, knowing that they're behind you. It's a rare ganker that can successfully interdict someone who's gravity braking. They're more likely to plow into the celestial body, or overshoot, instead. Just don't throttle down and submit accidentially.
  • You can fake a jump out at any point. Spool up your FSD while targeting a star behind you. Then do an emergency drop out of Supercruise. Chances are they won't notice the difference, will be slow to react even if they do, so you can orient yourself towards your destination, and reenter Supercruise that way.
  • You can look at this as a learning situation, and let them try to interdict you a few times. Unfortunately, there's no counter to the huge advantage an engineered FSD has, but still it's good practice either way. Once they succeed, you'll also get valuable experience trying to stay in theirsix while evading their hostile fire. If you're in good shape, feel free to low wake out, and let them try again.
    • Most of them will get the message after a couple of futile attempts to destroy your ship, and leave you alone after that. Most. I had one genius do this to me seven times, before I got bored of the whole situation and messaged them, "You realize I'm willing to do this all the way to the station, right?" There wasn't an eighth. :D
Naturally, if you chose the last option, you should be flying a ship that's more durable than wet toilet paper, and more nimble than a beached whale, which is a good idea in general. But the most important thing is, you're aware of the threat, and you're willing to be in this situation. You won't be wasting those precious few seconds after you drop, startled and confused. And that can make all the difference in the world, especially if you don't make an easy target of yourself by following the common forum advice of "boost boost boost jump."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4zca1yjKw&ab_channel=furrycatvideos
Actually the first failure is not being in Solo :ROFLMAO:

O7

I gave a fair bit of thought to the whole ganker/PvP thing a while back. Why did I love WoW battle grounds, but hate WoW open world PvP? Why do I not get frustrated at 1:5 KD ratios when I'm new to a game like Call of Duty, but hate dying even once in a game like the Division?

It dawned on me that I only enjoy PvP when both parties get to choose to engage and on even terms. In WoW, you might be on a quest when another play picks a fight. If that's only 20 minutes before you need to log, it's an annoying distraction and you might not get to finish what you want to do for the night, win or lose. Likewise, in The Division, there were many reasons you might want to go to the Dark Zone (Half PvE, half PvP zone). The vast majority of people are there to fight the tougher (NPC) bosses and farm the best gear: they have no interest in PvP. I don't want to annoy them, any more than I want to be annoyed.

So, with all that in mind, it's not even so much whether someone is a "ganker" by the standard definition. In an analogy, if you invite me to fight in a boxing ring, I might take you up on the offer even if you're bigger and more experienced than me and I'd still enjoy it. If you hit me just going about my business, I won't enjoy it irrespective of whether you're a 50lb dwarf with the coordination of a drunk yak, or Muhammad Ali reincarnated.

So, I stay out of Open. I'm either playing with friends in PG, or Solo. I don't need to worry about my activities being disrupted, and you don't need to fear me disrupting yours, because we'll never meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave a fair bit of thought to the whole ganker/PvP thing a while back. Why did I love WoW battle grounds, but hate WoW open world PvP? Why do I not get frustrated at 1:5 KD ratios when I'm new to a game like Call of Duty, but hate dying even once in a game like the Division?

It dawned on me that I only enjoy PvP when both parties get to choose to engage and on even terms. In WoW, you might be on a quest when another play picks a fight. If that's only 20 minutes before you need to log, it's an annoying distraction and you might not get to finish what you want to do for the night, win or lose. Likewise, in The Division, there were many reasons you might want to go to the Dark Zone (Half PvE, half PvP zone). The vast majority of people are there to fight the tougher (NPC) bosses and farm the best gear: they have no interest in PvP. I don't want to annoy them, any more than I want to be annoyed.

So, with all that in mind, it's not even so much whether someone is a "ganker" by the standard definition. In an analogy, if you invite me to fight in a boxing ring, I might take you up on the offer even if you're bigger and more experienced than me and I'd still enjoy it. If you hit me just going about my business, I won't enjoy it irrespective of whether you're a 50lb dwarf with the coordination of a drunk yak, or Muhammad Ali reincarnated.

So, I stay out of Open. I'm either playing with friends in PG, or Solo. I don't need to worry about my activities being disrupted, and you don't need to fear me disrupting yours, because we'll never meet.
Pretty much. You get of course the occasional ranting when a truck driver in Foxhole gets "ganked". But that's war and war never changes and that's just the way the goblins fight.
Noone would really complain about it. It is probably the most complete PvP MMO I know. All these games where players are supposed to form police and patrol sectors against "gankers" - it never works because the players have no interest, no incentive to do it.
In Foxhole, when you get "gankers" - we like to see them rather as commandos - disrupting logistics, quick responses form because if you can't supply the front with respawn tickets (it's what the truck drivers transport, among ammo and guns) you're going to lose that front for real on the big picture.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom