Guide / Tutorial How to dock an Anaconda without risk

Also, make sure you have insurance. Flying a 140M ship without rebuy is crazy, but based on recent posts on this very forum lots of people bought them before they were ready (and somehow managed to gain well over 100M without learning about rebuy).

Nice writeup.

I still prefer: "fly in and land on pad" though ;)

Me too.
So much fuss and struggle over something as simple as this.
Fly through the mailbox, point the darn thing towards the pad, fly there, stop. Voila!
In general, if you have to use thrusters to land, you are wasting time and doing it wrong. Even the anaconda can be landed with a glideslope, even on the shorter pads. Less margin, sure, but still no risk, and a LOT faster.

repped.
after you get the hang of it you will be boosting in and out without problems.

oh yeah watch out for those silly AI T9's and clippers.
GL to all future annie owners

First 10 landings or so, you take it easy. After that, you can throw it around like a Cobra, especially once you get better thrusters ;)

I've NEVER managed to get through the slot whilst landing gear is down in my Anaconda, so I only pop those once I'm inside, and I retract them as soon as I lift off the pad. You can get very close to the top of the slot when going in and out, and I personally always dock with 4 pips to shields, 2 to engines (you can never account for which idiot is going to come shooting out of the slot going the other way).

4 pips engines, 2 pip shields. Docking on 100-150 m/s mostly. Highest speed I had.... was about 250 m/s while passing force field.

A7 thrusters helps a lot.

As I just bought mine yesterday its a DC in and a slow paint scrape out:).

As a stalwart DC user that is unlikely to change but I appreciated your piece.

A great walk through OP.

I've NEVER managed to get through the slot whilst landing gear is down in my Anaconda, so I only pop those once I'm inside,

I've never managed NOT to get through, gear or no gear. To date I have yet to even scrape the sides of the mailbox - and no, I do not go slow. I do however take a wide enough turn for most of the massive drift to be gone by the time I actually enter the mailbox.

What I find to be a common mistake is people don't take into account the location of the cockpit on the ship; so in the case of the 'conda, it's on the very top of the hull, meaning to compensate for that is to not aim for the centre of the letterbox, but somewhat biased with more room underneath.

I'm in the use your shields and bully your way through group - unfortunately I forgot to change my technique when I was smuggling with silent running and my clipper came up against a human T6 boosting out at the same time. Survived, but only just.

You know this would be my answer too... especially after my 1.3 update... ;)

But that removes the fun of flying a 'conda. Docking with the 'conda is so much fun.
Get the right SC entry position. Boosting the right amount, getting lined up to the slot at the last possible moment and then enter the station at 99 m/s, deploying the landing gear at the right point waiting a bit until reducing the speed (basically reducing the speed of the reduced landing gear speed) and get the ship to stop exactly over the landing pad. Much more satisfaction than destroying an Elite Anaconda in combat.

Speaking of Anacondas: Why exactly are security Vipers always trying to scan me while they are in front of me? Why do they everything they can to get in front of me to do the scanning? Wouldn't be behind an Anaconda be a much saver and better place? I got hit 3 times now by such crazy NPC pilots, maybe they should go back to flight school? ;)

4 pips engines, 2 pip shields. Docking on 100-150 m/s mostly. Highest speed I had.... was about 250 m/s while passing force field.

A7 thrusters helps a lot.

I think 4 pips to engines is the trick. I use a D7 truster, tried a A7 but I don't need it for trading. Approaching the slot (from the out side) with trusters in the blue zone removes all or most the drifting. Trying to fly out of the station without enough speed can get a bit problematic - so again, blue zone and 4 pips to engines.
I try to dock at speeds below 100 because of the 1.3 ramming bounty thing.

You know this would be my answer too... especially after my 1.3 update... ;)

Sarah, offtopic question, but are there plans to make interdictions a bit more biting? At this point there are either psychos who attack fast and swift and are bit interesting to escape, but mostly you boost away from pirate and it can't catch you. This also have caused disbalance in profesions. Please make interdictions from NPCs interesting again!

As I just bought mine yesterday its a DC in and a slow paint scrape out:).

As a stalwart DC user that is unlikely to change but I appreciated your piece.

A great walk through OP.

Not sure what a DC is but I can't suggest strongly enough that you exit with some 'pace' on the ship.

The glitch where you get stuck/sucked up to the exit roof only seems to happen if you are slow and maybe only at some stations. It was only after I changed to a different system that I got caught out. When you do become a victim of the suck it is amazing how little time you get to clear the entrance. After it happens and you lose 10 million cr in insurance and cargo, your next exit become very fraught as you have to do it from the same station. Many people who complacently say I have never had a problem, whether their gear is up or down, may have a change of heart if they go to a different location and become victims of the suck

Sarah Jane Avory

Retro Queen
Sarah, offtopic question, but are there plans to make interdictions a bit more biting? At this point there are either psychos who attack fast and swift and are bit interesting to escape, but mostly you boost away from pirate and it can't catch you. This also have caused disbalance in profesions. Please make interdictions from NPCs interesting again!

I'll just say 1.3... ;)

Not sure what a DC is but I can't suggest strongly enough that you exit with some 'pace' on the ship.

The glitch where you get stuck/sucked up to the exit roof only seems to happen if you are slow and maybe only at some stations. It was only after I changed to a different system that I got caught out. When you do become a victim of the suck it is amazing how little time you get to clear the entrance. After it happens and you lose 10 million cr in insurance and cargo, your next exit become very fraught as you have to do it from the same station. Many people who complacently say I have never had a problem, whether their gear is up or down, may have a change of heart if they go to a different location and become victims of the suck

DC is Docking Computer.

Slow is half speed which seems really slow compared to a Vulture.

Thanks for the heads up on the sticking issue, I will speed up more from now on as I am now getting used to the new flight dynamics.

Top Bottom