How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

My OS is Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS - fully up to date.
I upgraded my NVIDIA driver to ( 384 ) and wine ( 2.13 ) and winetricks ( current git version ) followed the instructions.
Basically I can login and but I don't see Horizons ( because wine is set to 32bit and Horizons is 64bit only now? ) I do see the basic game and Combat Training, so I installed the Combat Training.

Trying to start combat training failed with a normal Window Serious crash type message, the wine gibberish in the background was complaining about gstreamer not having the plugin for 'video/x-ms-asf' which is rubbish because it is installed, a bit google-ing suggested doing: winetricks wmp9 quartz devenum so I did ( quartz was already installed I believe from your instructions )
After that I can start ED client, if I stay in the menus more than 30-40 seconds it freezers, if I breeze through the menus to just start the basic combat target practice mission I get the spinning sidewinder for 3-4 minutes, then it hangs. The game music is still playing in the background.
I think it got past the spinning sw once but went to black screen with music still playing.

This is much further than I've ever got before with ED on wine - but not actually playable yet :(

My OS is Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS - fully up to date.
I upgraded my NVIDIA driver to ( 384 ) and wine ( 2.13 ) and winetricks ( current git version ) followed the instructions.
Basically I can login and but I don't see Horizons ( because wine is set to 32bit and Horizons is 64bit only now? )

Yeah, I haven't updated 64-bit instructions to post yet.

1. first check what version you have of wine - 'dpkg -l | grep wine'
2. If it's saying wine amd64 then do this command
3. WINEPREFIX=~/wine-ed winecfg (with omitting WINEARCH=win32 part)

By default, Wine 64-bit build will create 64-bit Wine prefix.

Additions to instructions: I added full Wine 64-bit / Elite Dangerous Horizons instructions to first OP, I also reported bug for CRC error, hopefully wine devs will help to find out what causes that error.

Subscription added to this thread. I'd love to see Elite Dangerous / Horizons working under Linux. If only Frontier would dedicate some resources to making this happen!!!

Note: FD is removing 32-bit clients with 2.4 launch, which is speculated to happen mid/late September. As none of Wine versions (32/64-bit) does not run ED it is not a big deal. We still want full Horizons/post Horizons DX11 supported version anyway.

Note: updated with results of Wine 2.14, still same issues - ED 32 bit version (on it's way out) hangs when compiling shaders, ED 64-bit fails on CRC error (but does not fail on shader compilation).

After following your instructions using wine-staging 2.15 on ubuntu 16.04.2 I got error of missing mscoree.dll when launching edlauncher.

PS. There is few typos in the instructions.

After following your instructions using wine-staging 2.15 on ubuntu 16.04.2 I got error of missing mscoree.dll when launching edlauncher.

PS. There is few typos in the instructions.

Did you switch to Windows 7 with winecfg? I got that error now and then but not recently. Can you paste error here?

Edit: seems you are missing .NET installation. See winetricks command - you need to install dependencies for ED Launcher and game itself.

Last edited:
Wine 2.15 Staging on Fedora Linux 25:

* ED 32-bit no changes (hanging on for 2.4 release);
* ED 64-bit now hangs on shader compilation (might mean CRC error might just hide behind it);

So we need someone more knowledgeable to look at those shader errors - if anything can be done with them that is.

Reconfirm for Wine 2.16 Staging - hang on ED Horizons 64-bit.

I will retire ED 32-bit check next week, along with 2.4 launch.

Last edited:
This wonderful guide should go in the guides forum so it doesn't get lost in the daily diatribe that half a dozen posters keep doing (starting pointless threads).
+1 rep for all your efforts :)

2.17 staging with 2.4 launcher - we unfortunately have a regression, with installing game now hangs launcher. If someone has time, please reconfirm, maybe it is just my case. Launcher took 7 of my CPU cores and just hanged there :)

As with 2.4 32-bit version is now obsoleted.

Just to be aware that ED is playable using KVM passtrough method if you have two GPU cards for one to dedicate to Windows in virtual machine (if you waiting for ED to be playable on Linux).

2.18 Staging 64-bit EDH installer - installation now completes again, we are back with CRC connection error and shader compilation issues. Note however that compute shaders does not run at all and I see "fixme:d3d:wined3d_buffer_create Ignoring access flags (pool)"in logs.

So kinda interesting news with 2.21

There's movement in https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43162 so it seems shader issues might not be major blockers at this point. There are however some gotchas how ED handles screen rendering and that's what needs fixes in wine. I ran with wine 2.21 with patch provided and got combat training launched with black screen, but with obvious sound effects and music from ED going on in background.

launched with task -c 0 EDLaunch.exe allows to run compute shaders without hang. However we are back to old 'Please launch from launcher, login error' problem. Good thing is that is something to debug with wireshark. Will take a look at it later.

The best I ever got was combat training launched with black screen, but with obvious sound effects and music from ED going on in background.

I can't remember what version of Wine that was now and I've basically given up trying to make ED work on Linux for now - maybe I'll re-visit next year. It's just too frustrating.

Hi,

I'm trying to install this using opensuse tumbleweed + radeonsi drivers + wine 3.0-rc2 which is supposed to have much better supported DX11 support.

Using a 64 bit wine prefix, I'm able to get the launcher to run and download the game (as buggy as it is, can't really see anything). It's important to note that I can only have one monitor display running at a time, or wine crashes with an X overflow error of some sort.

After clicking play the game opens up to a black screen, then I see part of the game logo and a bunch of corrupted colorful square textures while the game music plays. This seems to go on until I kill the game, but I haven't tried leaving it for more than a few minutes.

Also, I saw some settings in one of the game xml files for mac -- does ED on mac use opengl or metal, and if it's opengl is there a way we can force our client to use the opengl renderer?

Fuzz

Top Bottom